ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle Finals

I’m fairly certain it was the second. The first happened when Chattanooga backed off the mat.
He said the ref made a mistake. Go back to first period and you'll see he accidentally called stalling on Schriever and it held up because it was 2 periods ago. In the 3rd he remembered calling stalling on him earlier but then realized the mistake. Couldn't retroactively change it.

I don’t complain about stalling but Schriever had shot after shot after shot. Yeah he had trouble finishing as well but good lord how did the opponent only get one stall call.
i think the official meant to call him on that first call, but held up the wrong hand and nobody corrected him because it was an out of bounds stall call. that's why he originally gave 1 on the 3rd period stall call.

it's also a hazard of not finishing. when you get in such long extended scrambles, it creates the illusion that your opponent is wrestling a lot more than he really is. 6 deep attempts he didn't finish. opponent never took an attack. should be a warning, but there was action happening the whole time, so it gets lost.

He said the ref made a mistake. Go back to first period and you'll see he accidentally called stalling on Schriever and it held up because it was 2 periods ago. In the 3rd he remembered calling stalling on him earlier but then realized the mistake. Couldn't retroactively change it.
So he awarded the stalling to the wrong wrestler in the first? And he knew it was the wrong wrestler? I saw him call it in the first. Didn’t realize he called it with the wrong hand. That’s crazy.

This. Major F up by the ref. Cullen should’ve won 3-2 in regulation.

You’re thinking of one of a hand full of stalling warnings that SHOULD have been called.
I really can’t believe how bad this freaking rule has gotten. It’s a damn joke. Apparently the governing body is fine watching this shit happen because it’s been awhile now and they don’t k ow how to fix it.

Someone who never initiates offense and only counter shoots shouldn’t be rewarded. Apparently all you need to do is crotch lock when you are in danger of being taken down and wait for a bad shot to win. It’s BS. I’m over this crap. Cullan got screwed. Should have damn near stalled that Chatt bitch out.

Cullen took 15 shots in regulation to Chatt's 1.

Cullen took 3 shots in OT to Chatt's 2 (scramble reshots).

The ref called stalling on RED (Cullen) with 2:19 left in the first after Cullen had taken 3 shots including 1 that the ref waived off as a TD, then shot Chatt off the mat. Whether he intended to call Cullen or Chatt, I don't know. It wouldn't make sense for him to call Cullen after his 3rd unanswered shot.

He called stalling on Chatt with 1:10 left in the 3rd and clearly thought he'd warned Chatt, as he awarded 1 to Cullen.

Chatt coaches loudly convinced him otherwise. Where was Cullen's bench coach?

He was robbed. But you gotta finish those shots. Don't leave it up to the ref--you may get one that sucks, and then all you can do is complain about it.

This is how I saw it, yes. If he actually meant to call it on Cullen he’s an even bigger moran!

Rewatched the sequence. Ref clearly intended to call it on Cullen. After calling stalling, he admonished Cullen with an arm gesture intended to show that he thought Cullen was pushing him out and not letting him circle back in.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
On a separate topic, I hate the trend that so many wrestlers forfeit matches during these tourneys. In my opinion, this hurts the integrity of the sport.
What would you think of changing the rule that it’s a loss not a medff? Counts against you and your seeding for Nattys. Seems that would cure it but also so just wouldn’t show up then. Of course, penalizes someone who is actually hurt. Probably a dumb spiderweb.

Cullen took 15 shots in regulation to Chatt's 1.

Cullen took 3 shots in OT to Chatt's 2 (scramble reshots).

The ref called stalling on RED (Cullen) with 2:19 left in the first after Cullen had taken 3 shots including 1 that the ref waived off as a TD, then shot Chatt off the mat. Whether he intended to call Cullen or Chatt, I don't know. It wouldn't make sense for him to call Cullen after his 3rd unanswered shot.

He called stalling on Chatt with 1:10 left in the 3rd and clearly thought he'd warned Chatt, as he awarded 1 to Cullen.

Chatt coaches loudly convinced him otherwise. Where was Cullen's bench coach?

He was robbed. But you gotta finish those shots. Don't leave it up to the ref--you may get one that sucks, and then all you can do is complain about it.
This is exactly right. And at that point in the 3rd the chattenooga wrestler had been wrestling with the mindset that he had no stall calls, so it wouldn’t have been fair to just say that the stall in the 1st was on the wrong guy. But it should never have gotten that far. Chat should have had 2 stall calls in the 1st.

What would you think of changing the rule that it’s a loss not a medff? Counts against you and your seeding for Nattys. Seems that would cure it but also so just wouldn’t show up then. Of course, penalizes someone who is actually hurt. Probably a dumb spiderweb.
…and PK med forfeits to 6th (edited as Flo initially showed it the opposite way).

I like your suggestion, but you’re correct that it likely creates unintended consequences.

Last edited:

It’s not a big deal. Such a rule would be akin to using a baseball bat to kill a fly on the wall.

Reactions: butchinmi
ADVERTISEMENT