ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle quarterfinals thread

Costello and Catka scoreless thru 1.

Catka takes down and quick escape, 1-0

Still 1-0 heading to 3rd. Costello takes down

Escape Costello, 1-1 with 1:15 to go

Lots of collar ties and leaning...

Catka takes a shot. Costello crushes him, gets the go behind and the win.

Costello to the semis!

Last edited:
That was definately not the same PK. As a team Iowa seems to really struggle against funk.
what do you mean "not the same?" who has PK beaten? he got soundly beaten by O'Malley twice in freestyle. beaten by Labriola. beaten by Marinelli. hasn't beaten anybody of note yet. whenever he's gotten a crack at a really good opponent, he's lost. that's why this tournament was so important for guys like him. we had no idea where they were. now we know. he's not there. doesn't mean he won't be great in the future, but he's not great yet.

what do you mean "not the same?" who has PK beaten? he got soundly beaten by O'Malley twice in freestyle. beaten by Labriola. beaten by Marinelli. hasn't beaten anybody of note yet. whenever he's gotten a crack at a really good opponent, he's lost. that's why this tournament was so important for guys like him. we had no idea where they were. now we know. he's not there. doesn't mean he won't be great in the future, but he's not great yet.
One match means he's not there yet? Is there anyone you take a positive stance on?

I think you can insert DA in there too. Maybe he is ready?

One match means he's not there yet? Is there anyone you take a positive stance on?
yeah? there are people on this board who talk like he and marinelli are interchangeable and we have two title contenders at 165. kennedy is not on that level. you can see the seeds of greatness in his wrestling, but he has real holes that will doom him against the best guys at this weight.

finishing is an issue for a bunch of guys on the team. guys like o'toole, griffith, hamiti, and wick would eat him alive in scrambles right now. we've seen that rear its head in losses to labriola and o'malley. and that's okay. he's young and he missed out on a lot of development opportunities to figure these positions out last year.

as for a positive stance, ayala looks fantastic. love his single and pace. looks ready to me.

Didn't really see a loss coming here. Lets see how PK bounces back on the backside. That is very important too for his future mindset.
This was similar to the match he pulled out vs Carlson from MN except this guy was a bit better. It could be PK just not a great weight cutter. Could be just needs to get better. Maybe he ends up back at 174 and Riggins goes 165 after a RS.

This was similar to the match he pulled out vs Carlson from MN except this guy was a bit better. It could be PK just not a great weight cutter. Could be just needs to get better. Maybe he ends up back at 174 and Riggins goes 165 after a RS.
it's kind of strange because he wrestles a really high pace and you would expect that to mean he has a big tank, but he has a history of fading late in matches going back to high school. could be a breathing issue or a pacing issue?

he doesn't look big at 165 at all.

He weighed in at 159. Possibly on a descension plan to 157?

*edit: this is proven not true. A buddy was messing with me and I was too stupid to figure it out.

Last edited:
Too many hawk wrestlers shooting cross body head to the outside singles and simply not able to finish. Getting the corner turned on them, getting ankles tied up and getting out scrambled. They are young and just one of those things they need to get better at.
If your going to attack on a low single you better not get your head stuck on the mat. You could hear Brands from the corner coaching him to get above the knee. PK got rode a little longer than he should have to start the second. Part of the high pace is using his snaps and being heavy on the head. I didn’t see this in the third period or in SV. I am not bashing him, just areas he needs to improve in.

Too many hawk wrestlers shooting cross body head to the outside singles and simply not able to finish. Getting the corner turned on them, getting ankles tied up and getting out scrambled. They are young and just one of those things they need to get better at.
Yup, not getting that hand around the waist to finish. I love the aggression because these are technique things that can be fixed.

just have a hard time believing it, but I love the idea of him challenging young at 157 to see what he has. unfortunately, there isn't much of an opportunity for him to get matches now that we're entering dual season. i feel like he would have been down the extra 2 lbs already if that were the case.

Reactions: TarpHawk
just have a hard time believing it, but I love the idea of him challenging young at 157 to see what he has. unfortunately, there isn't much of an opportunity for him to get matches now that we're entering dual season. i feel like he would have been down the extra 2 lbs already if that were the case.

Well if he weighed in at 159, he could still get the meat of the big ten season, right?

3 weeks from last competition at 165 would be 157.59 if he was @ 164.9 3 weeks ago. Still not buying him going down to 157 at this point.

We had questions about 6-7 guys, and now we have some answers.

125 - Prior to today, Ayala had a 4-point loss to #9 McKee and 5 wins over unranked guys. But was he #10 or #40? Today he beat #13 Surfin handily, as well as a NQ in Witcraft. As of tonight he's looking like a top-12 guy. That's great.

133 - Prior to today, Schriever had a 4-point loss to #3 DeSanto and 10 wins over unranked guys. Was he #10 or #40? Today he beat 2 NQs, including a 6th year senior & 2x NQ who was up at 141 last year and looked huge. As of tonight Schriever is looking like a top-20 guy. That's great.

141 - Prior to today, Henson was 13-0 against 13 guys no one has ever heard of (biggest win was 2-1 over mid-tier frosh from Ok St). Today he beat ~#25 Martinoni, a NQ, then got pinned by #12 Hart. So now we can peg him as a top-20 guy.

149 - Prior to today, Rathjen was 0-0. He had a decent win today and a loss to Chittum before med forfeiting out. So we still don't know a lot.

149 - Prior to today, Reyna was 5-0 with his only notable win over #26 Turk in a toss-up match. Today he looked tentative and disinterested in losses to #63 & #101. Now we know he's not ready for primetime.

165 - Prior to today, Kennedy was 10-1 with a 1-point loss to Marinelli and his biggest win vs #29 Yant from UNI. Today he lost a winnable match vs #12 Hall, who was R12 last year as a true frosh. He's looking like a #15 with the potential to be top-10 if he can go 7 minutes full speed. But he's not looking like #2 right now as many of us hoped.

174 - Prior to today, Swafford was 9-3 with a win over #40 Broderson from ISU and losses to #36, #43, and a guy from Wartburg. Today he beat Wills, who is ranked "Honorable Mention" (top-30) by Flo, and a decent freshman from NDSU. So he's looking top-40, maybe top-30 if he gains consistency.

285 - We already knew that Costello was a top-30 guy. Today he beat #19 Wolfgram and NQ Catka (who beat #20 AJ Nevills). So as of tonight he's looking like a to-20 guy.

Big bummer about Spencer Lee. Big hurray for Arnold. Excited for tomorrow. Let's finish strong.

Well if he weighed in at 159, he could still get the meat of the big ten season, right?
yes, but they would kind of have to give him the spot. they couldn't alternate him and young to let them compete because he needs to get enough matches to earn an AQ spot for the conference and in case he needs a wildcard. cael learned this the hard way last year with bartlett.

if this was the plan, i don't know why they wouldn't have had him all the way down for this tournament to see how he looks. i will say he looks like a 157 to me.

PK to 157 is an interesting thought. There would be no other reason to be weighing in than much under 165 unless he is trying to make the move. He does seem motivated to get into the lineup. I agree we have a number of guys getting hung up trying to finish that single leg, either getting the corner cut or ending up in scrambles or stale mates. Would be nice to get away from those positions. Comparing Bull to PK, Bull rarely gets in those positions. He hits that double or gets the leg up higher. Some of it could be PK always wrestling up in weight in HS he was the quicker guy and easier to maneuver tds than vs these lighter and better scramblers.

He weighed in at 159. Possibly on a descension plan to 157?
Woodsiding- if this was clickbait, ya got me. If you saw the weigh in for 159 please share. I'm too curious at this point to let this go:) I love what Kaleb Young has done for the program, I'm just curious more than anything and need a distraction from the Spencer news.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT