ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle semi-finals and consolations

3rd period:

Fern takes top.

Fern puts in a leg and has Costello flat. Now both boots in with Costello flat.

Fern is from Cornell. Whoever coaches Cornell's 285's has one heck of a big mouth, constantly yelling at the refs.

Costello called for stalling with both boots in. Baloney.

Match ends. Fern wins 9-0.

Good recon if Cass runs into Fern. Although I doubt Cass would struggle with him.

Schriever vs. Crawford

1st period:

Crawford in on a quick shot. Takedown. 2-0.

Cullan with a quick escape. 2-1.

Cullan with a nice low single and works into a danger position with Crawford over his back, head on the mat. Gets the count for danger and the 2. Cullan up, 3-2.

Cullan up to :35 RT.

Back to center.

Crawford rolls and Cullan follows nicely.

Cullan with a beautiful wrist tilt for a 4 count! Cullan up, 7-2. Period ends.

2nd period:

Cullan takes bottom.

Up to his feet on the whistle, working for hand control. To the edge. Sits out. Escapes. 8-2, Cullan.

Cullan right back in on a single on the edge. Hooks a leg. Crawford on his butt. Cullan trying to pop his head out. OOB.

Back to center. :43 left.

RT is 1:08 for Cullan.

Cullan stalking him. Crawford just tying up and blocking off. Period ends.

Cullan leads, 8-2. RT 1:08.

3rd period:

Crawford takes neutral.

To the edge. Crawford working for a left underhook. Crawford shoots on the edge. Cullan has him in a front headlock. OOB.

Back to center. 1:15 left.

Cullan with a half shot.

Crawford with double unders. On the edge. Cullan clears out. :45 left.

Crawford shoots, Cullan sprawls. OOB. :34 left.

One takedown for the major....

Cullan changes levels, gets into a front headlock on the edge. Time runs out.

Cullan wins, 9-2.

Henson vs. Alirez

1st period:

Quite a bit in a non-tie here, not much engagement.

Now tying up. Alirez has him in a front headlock, on their knees. Wyatt clears out.

1:30 left.

Wyatt with a nice snap.

Alirez with a right hook to the head. Ref stops action and talks to him.

1:00 left.

Alirez with a half shot.

On the edge. Wyatt shoots, Alirez clears.

:30 left.

Still on the edge. OOB.

Alirez shoots, into a front headlock for Wyatt, clears. Back to their feet.

Period ends. 0-0.

2nd period:

Alirez takes bottom.

Dennis telling Wyatt to watch the roll.

Alirez to his feet and out in :07. 1-0, Alirez.

Wyatt bobbing and weaving.

Lots of non-tie action again.

Hand fighting now.

1:10 left.

Alirez with a low single. Lifts the leg. Wyatt fights out of it!

Alirez into a seatbelt position for a few seconds.

:30 left.

Wyatt needs to get to his offense.

On the edge. OOB.

Period ends. 1-0, Alirez. RT :07 for Wyatt.

3rd period:

Wyatt takes NEUTRAL.

Must score here.

Wyatt with a half shot.

Wyatt picking up the pace.

Alirez going 100% defense.

Half shot by Wyatt. Struggling to penetrate.

Time runs out.

Alirez wins, 1-0. Wyatt clearly needs to improve on the bottom.

Dennis had some words for the ref after the match, maybe about no stall calls on Alirez, but to be fair, Wyatt did nothing offensively for the first 2 periods.

3rd period:

Fern takes top.

Fern puts in a leg and has Costello flat. Now both boots in with Costello flat.

Fern is from Cornell. Whoever coaches Cornell's 285's has one heck of a big mouth, constantly yelling at the refs.

Costello called for stalling with both boots in. Baloney.

Match ends. Fern wins 9-0.
People are going to learn not to take bottom against Fernandes. FWIW, Fernandes likely has the national HS record for the fastest pin for a heavyweight: :03.

Yes, the Cornell heavyweight coach has a big mouth. I'm guessing that Nick Gwiazdowski also knows what he is talking about, but that's just a guess.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
People are going to learn not to take bottom against Fernandes. FWIW, Fernandes likely has the national HS record for the fastest pin for a heavyweight: :03.

Yes, the Cornell heavyweight coach has a big mouth. I'm guessing that Nick Gwiazdowski also knows what he is talking about, but that's just a guess.
Weird. Didn't realize that was Gwiz. He seems like a pretty mild mannered guy in general. As a coach in the corner, he's absolutely obnoxious, and based on how high and grating his voice is, I'd guess he was about a 133-pounder.

Kennedy gives up a TD on his own shot in both regulation and OT to lose. His MO is to get to a leg and go to his belly. I’m sure that worked in high school. Rather surprising he’s been in the room this long and still has this issue.

He’s not ready for prime time.

And once again, you fail to realize that nobody here gives a damn about Cornell.

Swafford vs. O'Reilly (MN)

1st period:

Sorry -- missed about the first 2:00. Picked up with O'Reilly riding. They go OOB.

2-0, O'Reilly. RT 1:04.

Back to center.

Swafford to his feet and out. 2-1, O'Reilly.

O'Reilly with a shot, Swafford with a nice low single re-shot, stalemate.

Lots of hand fighting.

Period ends.

2-1, O'Reilly. RT 1:09.

Formato? For God's sake, Kennedy.
bottom line, he's not nearly as good as people on this board assumed. you can call me negative or whatever, but that's just the truth of the situation. not especially dominant in the handfight, can't finish, and fades late in matches. reminds me way too much of nick moore. much closer to the 20th best guy in the country than the 5th.

Weird. Didn't realize that was Gwiz. He seems like a pretty mild mannered guy in general. As a coach in the corner, he's absolutely obnoxious, and based on how high and grating his voice is, I'd guess he was about a 133-pounder.
I didn't hear (or listen to) the commentary you describe, and I don't know for sure that Gwiz was there in the corner, so it may have been their 133-pounder Grey!

Kennedy shoots too straight on still. Not great at turning a corner, or at the very least just finishing straight through quickly and with power. Things that can be corrected, I seem to remember Bull having similar issues during his redshirt year. Having this extra year for redshirt will be good for him in the long run. Just not quite there yet

Reactions: Gobblin
And once again, you fail to realize that nobody here gives a damn about Cornell.
Funny that someone here was talking about the Cornell coach. I typically assume that if someone mentions something, they care at least a little bit about what it is they are talking about. We managed to have a bit of a dialogue going, but hey, you be you.

2nd period:

O'Reilly with a quick takedown. 4-1, O'Reilly.

Swafford throws his hips over for a nice escape. 4-2, O'Reilly. RT 1:40.

More hand fighting.

Period ends. I fell asleep.

4-2, O'Reilly. RT 1:40.

Reactions: TarpHawk
3rd period:

Swafford starts on bottom.

To his feet, O'Reilly drives him OOB. Our corner asking for a stall. I agree.

Swafford throws his hips over again and is almost out but O'Reilly covers.

Swafford flat.

1:00 left. RT 2:45.

To his base.

Flattened out again. Parallel ride. I fell asleep again. O'Reilly called for stalling. Good call.

Match ends. O'Reilly wins, 5-2.

Funny that someone here was talking about the Cornell coach. I typically assume that if someone mentions something, they care at least a little bit about what it is they are talking about. We managed to have a bit of a dialogue going, but hey, you be you.
The problem isn't what you say, it's how you say it.

"Hey hick iowa guy doing the play by play, don't you know that's NICK GWIZDOWSKI shouting into your TV? If he's shouting he obviously knows what he's talking about over you"

Which then changes to "oh wait I didn't even watch, it may have been a different guy, I just wanted to let you know I was smarter than you"

bottom line, he's not nearly as good as people on this board assumed. you can call me negative or whatever, but that's just the truth of the situation. not especially dominant in the handfight, can't finish, and fades late in matches. reminds me way too much of nick moore. much closer to the 20th best guy in the country than the 5th.
After his battle with Marinelli people on several boards assumed it. Not just here. And Nick Moore is not a great comparison imo.

Reactions: Gobblin
Costello vs. Houghton

Picking up in the 3rd...

Was 5-3 Costello. Costello started on bottom and Houghton got high -- Costello shrugged him off for the reversal. 7-3, Costello.

Houghton escapes. 7-4, Costello.

Houghton shoots, Costello defends on the edge, stalling on Costello.

Back to center. :50 left. Hand fighting, OOB, action call.

:40 left.

On the edge, Costello circles in to avoid the stall call.

Houghton going upper body, pushes us OOB, stall call. 1 point, Houghton. 7-5.

Costello hangs on to win, 7-5.

141 really clears out next year. I like Wyatt's chances once he gets better conditioned and rounds out his weight for 141.
I’m impressed by Wyatt. His loses are too hart and alirez. Both top 15. The weight graduates 8 top 15 kids. We are in great shape with him next year. Jmo does need to improve on bottom but I can live with that for now.

Pretty much every freshman we've had has taken some lumps on the big stage early on in their career, including Kem and Alex, even Spencer looked human for a little while.

Our guys showed exactly what I was looking for, they're right in there, but clearly need another year of development, strength seeming to be a big issue for many of them.

To me, if you redshirt Drake this year, he's got legitimate 4 timer potential. Is his preference to maximize his potential, or is he ready to wrestle right now, even if it means he may place lower? Make no mistake, the coaches wouldn't pull his redshirt if he didn't want it pulled. My gut tells me he wants and is ready for the action, he certainly looks hungry.

Kennedy gives up a TD on his own shot in both regulation and OT to lose. His MO is to get to a leg and go to his belly. I’m sure that worked in high school. Rather surprising he’s been in the room this long and still has this issue.

He’s not ready for prime time.
He has a surprisingly weak grip on people's legs one he gets stretched out. Given up TDs a number of times that way. I know he is a naturally strong guy but looks like he could use some time in the weight room for good measure.

Reactions: el dub and js8793
Kennedy shoots too straight on still. Not great at turning a corner, or at the very least just finishing straight through quickly and with power. Things that can be corrected, I seem to remember Bull having similar issues during his redshirt year. Having this extra year for redshirt will be good for him in the long run. Just not quite there yet
the reality is that scrambling has advanced to the point that you're almost never going to finish straight through elite guys unless you catch them clean with a double or a pick, which is rare. to be great, you have to be able to finish off schedule.

this has been an issue for the hawks for a while. it's been better in this most recent group, but still present with guys like desanto, eierman, murin, marinelli, and warner. i think it's a big reason why they've had a ton of AA's, but very few ncaa champs. the guys that did win (spencer and clark) could finish from scramble positions. if you can't, it will bite you at some point in the tournament. look at last year's losses:

desanto: in and got countered for the only takedown of the match
eierman: in multiple times, but couldn't finish on Lee; ran out of gas late to lose
murin: in deep his entire r12 match, got countered in OT to lose
marinelli: in deep multiple times, got countered in OT to lose
warner: in deep on ferrari, didn't finish: lost on RT.

it's the difference between good and great.

ADVERTISEMENT