ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle

JohnBasedow

HR Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Just taking a look at the Scuffle brackets for tomorrow, can’t help but think that both Midlands and Scuffle are unusually weak this year. Crazy that PSU and Lehigh are the only decent schools that brought their A squads for the Scuffle.

Is there anything that can be learned from this tournament?

Brackets: https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/2d2ec600-d11a-b930-3838-80bf5218d2f0

Edit: UNI is also a team that brought their A squad

Last edited:
Agreed, thought the same when i looked at pre seeds the other night. Funny considering how most of the PSU fans were ripping midlands hard on BWI, guess they didn't check out the preseeds of their own tourney before trying to run down Iowa. Their midlands thread is actually a pretty entertaining read, usually you don't see that many dumbass posts in one place until the post season.

Scuffle is indeed weak this year, and I didn't see a single post on BWI claiming that it had anything close to a stacked field. That said, there is no denying that Midlands was also weak. Both are watered down by the new event in Florida, Okie State going to Italy, etc.

Scuffle is indeed weak this year, and I didn't see a single post on BWI claiming that it had anything close to a stacked field. That said, there is no denying that Midlands was also weak. Both are watered down by the new event in Florida, Okie State going to Italy, etc.

Yes but BWI spent plenty of time discussing the weak Midlands field but no time discussing the same about Scuffle.

Wonder why.

Last edited:
Just taking a look at the Scuffle brackets for tomorrow, can’t help but think that both Midlands and Scuffle are unusually weak this year. Crazy that PSU and Lehigh are the only decent schools that brought their A squads for the Scuffle.

Is there anything that can be learned from this tournament?

Brackets: https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/2d2ec600-d11a-b930-3838-80bf5218d2f0

Edit: UNI is also a team that brought their A squad
The things I will be following are:
Daton Fix - already beat Bresser and Fauz, but will be tested again. It’s pretty clear him and Spencer are very close, but if he were to win this over Cruz would be pretty impressive.

165 - Cenzo, Chance, and Steiert. Is Chance a title contender? He’s looked good so far.

Hvy - Nice bracket here. Nevills appears to be at the top of the 2nd tier behind Coon and Snyder at hvy. Winning this would solidify that. Looking forward to a Nevills vs Stoll matchup this year.

The things I will be following are:
Daton Fix - already beat Bresser and Fauz, but will be tested again. It’s pretty clear him and Spencer are very close, but if he were to win this over Cruz would be pretty impressive.

165 - Cenzo, Chance, and Steiert. Is Chance a title contender? He’s looked good so far.

Hvy - Nice bracket here. Nevills appears to be at the top of the 2nd tier behind Coon and Snyder at hvy. Winning this would solidify that. Looking forward to a Nevills vs Stoll matchup this year.
Joe smith was in the original 165 bracket but I dont see him in there anymore and the bracket has changed since last night

197 - unseated McCutcheon. Bet he is glad they talked him into coming back this year. If he can win it and they keep putting Casser out and gets the call for big 10 / NCAA. Maybe, just maybe we have a source to how the slush fund works. So, go Matt!!!

F*# State guys, take it easy, I am going for one of your guys, and you guys don’t buy the whole slush fund thing as being real ... or do you? If not. Nothing to see here.

6 out of the 10 returning national champs in this tourney. Not 1 for Midlands.

Any tourney PSU is in is the varsity tourney, let’s not kid ourselves. If other teams want to know where they stack up this is place to be.

All I’m saying is you have a tourney with 6 returning national champs out of the 10 weights, can’t say it’s “weak”
But one can say the field is weak, which is what is being said. You can have the returning national champion at every weight and you can still have a weak field if that is all you have.
Words have meaning.
Reading is fundamental. Comprehension, not so much.

I see this will be the payback thread for BWI's Midlands thread, lol.... Well even if take away all of Penn State's champs, the Scuffle still has infinitely more NCAA champions in their tournament then Midlands. ;)

Happy New Year ya filthy animals!

The Scuffle is dead. It had a good run but it is not anything like it used to be. Not sure why PSU keeps going there.

Top to bottom midlands was tougher no doubt.Vegas was the toughest this year followed by midlands,scuffle and reno.

Hardly 8 hrs in & you already have the dumbest post of the year.

1 team does not a field make.

You keep telling yourself that. You want to watch some studs or a bunch of 10-20 guys?

Your choice. I know what I’ll be enjoying

Is PSU wrestling themselves?

No they have the number 4 team in country (Lehigh), probably the best team in Iowa this year in UNI, a lock have team that beat the team that came in #2 at Midlands, some tough Okie State freshman...plus I wil guarentee you won’t see many 2-1 finals matches

A tourney is defined by top heavy talent, not low end

No they have the number 4 team in country (Lehigh), probably the best team in Iowa this year in UNI, a lock have team that beat the team that came in #2 at Midlands, some tough Okie State freshman...plus I wil guarentee you won’t see many 2-1 finals matches

I am an alum & varsity letterwinner from UNI. You just lost the last but of credibility you had with me. Bye troll!

A tourney is defined by depth from top to bottom, in this case neither tourney has the depth that it used to have.

Jason, but yeah FT was wrong per usual.

Yea, you guys got me. Even though it should of been implied based on the op talking about returning NCAA champs, yes I forgot to expressly restate that. Congrats MPchillin, your year has been made!

Last edited:
Outside of the UNI being the best team in Iowa dig...Pish brings up good points.

I don’t think anyone is claiming that Midlands or the Scuffle are what they’ve been in the past, but to claim this -

Top to bottom midlands was tougher no doubt.Vegas was the toughest this year followed by midlands,scuffle and reno.

That’s kind of silly...I’d say that they are similar and Scuffle is certainly a bit more top heavy as PSU, Lehigh, UNI, Lock Haven are likely above Iowa, Rutgers, Az St, Central Michigan

Ok my turn to make a stupid post.
With 7 number one seeds can Penn State win this tough tourney?
A betting man would think so right.
So for nationals if they pull Lees shirt could have 8 so
a betting man would take who to win it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT