ADVERTISEMENT

SP - Honest Thoughts

dbleagle1

HR All-State
Oct 18, 2014
Yes, Spencer Petras is a human being. Yes, his family and friends read what is written about him. I will be the first to say that I have said not so nice things in my home as I watch games. It's human nature to a degree. However, I will say this.......I am sure Spencer Petras is a nice human being. That should be the most important thing anyway from a human perspective. It should also be ok to tell his family and friends that he is not a D1 level QB. He just isn't. He doesn't have the mental makeup that a Banks, Stanzi or other Iowa QB's had. He doesn't have much ability to see past his first or (very rarely) second read. He doesn't have a natural ability to stay calm and persevere in stressful situations. I believe that is (to some degree) responsible for being so inaccurate down the field at times. It is not a bad thing to tell he or his family that. Heck, he should know that he has started for 2 years now and probably hit his ceiling mentally. He should know that he consistently holds his offense back. It is what it is. There are many QB's who had great arms and could consistently make perfect 40 yard passes at practice with no defense gunning for them. That is the difference........The great QB's can operate at their best in pressure situations. SP can't. His mind doesn't work that way. I am old enough to remember being excited about Dan McGuire starting the next year after Chuck Long graduated. What happened? Chuck Hartleib beat him out because of one thing.......it was all above his shoulders. Personally, I like how SP seems to handle himself off the field. Again what I would tell them is that he seems like a great kid and they should be proud of who he is as a human being. What I wouldn't tell them is that he is even an average quarterback in D1 football. If I said that, I would be lying to him and them. Is that what KF might be doing?

People can p and moan all they want about Petra’s, he is what he is. However, at this point he is the better of the two between himself and Padilla. He did give us the “best chance to win.”

On that basis he is the leader in the clubhouse looking at next years options. Somebody on the roster has to step up though going into next year, whether it be Padilla, Labas, a transfer, or Petra’s himself. It is a factual statement to say we need better QB play than we saw this year and hopefully it is grown or found.

Spencer Petras is a bright, classy young man who also happens to be a bad quarterback. He is just not good.

If he is the best option Iowa can put on the field the entire offensive coaching staff should be fired. QB play was atrocious this year and cost the Hawks dearly.

Yes, Spencer Petras is a human being. Yes, his family and friends read what is written about him. I will be the first to say that I have said not so nice things in my home as I watch games. It's human nature to a degree. However, I will say this.......I am sure Spencer Petras is a nice human being. That should be the most important thing anyway from a human perspective. It should also be ok to tell his family and friends that he is not a D1 level QB. He just isn't. He doesn't have the mental makeup that a Banks, Stanzi or other Iowa QB's had. He doesn't have much ability to see past his first or (very rarely) second read. He doesn't have a natural ability to stay calm and persevere in stressful situations. I believe that is (to some degree) responsible for being so inaccurate down the field at times. It is not a bad thing to tell he or his family that. Heck, he should know that he has started for 2 years now and probably hit his ceiling mentally. He should know that he consistently holds his offense back. It is what it is. There are many QB's who had great arms and could consistently make perfect 40 yard passes at practice with no defense gunning for them. That is the difference........The great QB's can operate at their best in pressure situations. SP can't. His mind doesn't work that way. I am old enough to remember being excited about Dan McGuire starting the next year after Chuck Long graduated. What happened? Chuck Hartleib beat him out because of one thing.......it was all above his shoulders. Personally, I like how SP seems to handle himself off the field. Again what I would tell them is that he seems like a great kid and they should be proud of who he is as a human being. What I wouldn't tell them is that he is even an average quarterback in D1 football. If I said that, I would be lying to him and them. Is that what KF might be doing?
His #2 or backup doesn’t appear to be the answer. I do agree if we had a more mobile QB that was a playmaker we would damn good.

Reactions: dbleagle1
Never fun to tell a kid they're not good enough. But it has to be done. At this point Spencer has started what, 17 or 18 games. Spencer rattles almost as easily as he did in his first game.

If Petras starts next fall there will be a rebellion that starts to infect donors and that will get the ADs attention.

It is not hyperbole to say Jake Christensen would have won this game today, simply by avoiding the crushing mental mistakes and inability to see the field. Jake R would have increased the scoring significantly over the last two seasons.

Petras/Padilla are done at Iowa. Joey needs to be the real shit next season because he will have a pretty good team around him.

Last edited:
Injury or leaving the team are the only two ways Spencer isn't the starting QB next season. Padilla will be gone next week.
Agree Padilla leaves, probably not tomorrow but soon.

Spencer isn't really tenable anymore. More than anything the coaches need credibility. Starting Spencer next fall would be a dramatic blow to KF's credibility, unless Spencer had the mother of all senior seasons. The later result is unlikely.

I don’t think it’s the fan’s decision. Sorry guys. Deplorable you have no idea if he’s done. While a lot of us on here might think it is certainly time for him to go, we have zero idea what Ferentz is thinking. Or Petras. He’s graduated, he’s struggled and he is certainly a whipping boy of the fans. I get the feeling he’s ready for a new start. I’m with you that Labas better be the real deal because we need someone to be.

Reactions: BBHawk

Spencer isn't really tenable anymore. More than anything the coaches need credibility. Starting Spencer next fall would be a dramatic blow to KF's credibility, unless Spencer had the mother of all senior seasons. The later result is unlikely.
Starting Petras next fall would mean KF and Co didn't do their job trying to make this team better. Not a great look.

Whether it's Labas or a transfer, time to turn the page on Petras, it would be better for all parties.

Reactions: shudaddy

How about turning the defense loose for a few days this spring against 1st offense. No protected qbs. That should tell the coaches slot about QB under pressure.

Reactions: hawkosx
I don't think any of that will be necessary. The coach knows as well as we do that Spencer is not going to be acceptable next season.

Although not among the conspiracy crowd, if Brian's purely the product of nepotism, as so many wrongly say, it would be important for Spencer to take the fall for the horrible offense.

Joey Throws was even mentioned in the pregame. I think the PR aspects of the QB change are already in motion.

Today was the day Spencer had all of the things we've repeatedly been told he needed against good competition in order to succeed. Powerful and successful running game that lends itself to effective play-action? Check. Receivers actually getting open consistently...sometimes WIDE open? Check. Most importantly, an OL providing a clean pocket and dramatically limiting pressure on passing plays? Check. In fact, by Iowa's standard this season, the OL wasn't just good, it was extraordinary.

The table was set for Spencer to show off all of that skill we've been assured has simply been hamstrung by the lack of those factors outlined above. "Wait and see," they said. "Once he has good OL play and a running game and open receivers all coming together simultaneously, you'll see the real Spencer Petras." Well today was that day...and what did we see? Consistent inconsistency. Panic at the first sign of pressure (which today was actually relatively rare). Over- and under-throwing receivers with regularity. Egregious levels of inaccuracy.

That all points to one and only one logical, plausible, reasonable conclusion. Even under as close to perfect conditions as Iowa is capable of providing, Spencer Petras still is not able to perform as a reliably high-caliber Big Ten quarterback.

Nice kid? Sure. Good human? Probably so. Solid student? No evidence to doubt that assertion. Even marginally serviceable FBS Power 5 QB? Nope. But hey...no one is perfect.

I don’t think it’s the fan’s decision. Sorry guys. Deplorable you have no idea if he’s done. While a lot of us on here might think it is certainly time for him to go, we have zero idea what Ferentz is thinking. Or Petras. He’s graduated, he’s struggled and he is certainly a whipping boy of the fans. I get the feeling he’s ready for a new start. I’m with you that Labas better be the real deal because we need someone to be.

I don't know but I'm pretty good at intel analysis. Many signs point to Joey Throws taking the job. Spencer and Alex know it. They have only a shopworn momentum of inertia working for either of them. You wrote some of the reasons Spencer won't start. Remember the coaches cannot entirely ignore the fan base. Spencer hasn't just struggled, he's failed and basically declined over the season. Alex couldn't win the job for many reasons, and he's no answer. Only Joey makes sense and reconciles much of what we can derive from the various glimmers of information.

Follow the money and the $5 million/yr or so money trail---lot of motivation to keep the family business intact. Even KF knows 120 rank in offense makes his boy a lightning rod for criticism and no chance at ever getting head coaching job at Iowa or elsewhere.

I would think they will send BF off on a program evaluation/learning mission to the KF coaching circle to get better at his job or bring a consultant in to tell help them update the offense. Even Belichek figured out after 1 year of Cam Newton that superior coaching doesn't make up for inferior QB play and went out and used a 1st round draf choice for QB. KOK should go---that coaching position should be someone younger/more dynamic.

Labas will be named starter next fall, assuming he is healthy. They won't make a decison in spring because they don't want both Petras and Padilla to portal out for depth reasons, though 1 leaving is okay. Petras looks like he is all in.....that means Padilla is probably transferring.

Follow the money and the $5 million/yr or so money trail---lot of motivation to keep the family business intact. Even KF knows 120 rank in offense makes his boy a lightning rod for criticism and no chance at ever getting head coaching job at Iowa or elsewhere.

I would think they will send BF off on a program evaluation/learning mission to the KF coaching circle to get better at his job or bring a consultant in to tell help them update the offense. Even Belichek figured out after 1 year of Cam Newton that superior coaching doesn't make up for inferior QB play and went out and used a 1st round draf choice for QB. KOK should go---that coaching position should be someone younger/more dynamic.

Labas will be named starter next fall, assuming he is healthy. They won't make a decison in spring because they don't want both Petras and Padilla to portal out for depth reasons, though 1 leaving is okay. Petras looks like he is all in.....that means Padilla is probably transferring.
I don’t believe Labas will be the starter next year if Petras comes back. And I don’t believe Petras comes back unless he thinks he’s the starter.

Today was the day Spencer had all of the things we've repeatedly been told he needed against good competition in order to succeed. Powerful and successful running game that lends itself to effective play-action? Check. Receivers actually getting open consistently...sometimes WIDE open? Check. Most importantly, an OL providing a clean pocket and dramatically limiting pressure on passing plays? Check. In fact, by Iowa's standard this season, the OL wasn't just good, it was extraordinary.

The table was set for Spencer to show off all of that skill we've been assured has simply been hamstrung by the lack of those factors outlined above. "Wait and see," they said. "Once he has good OL play and a running game and open receivers all coming together simultaneously, you'll see the real Spencer Petras." Well today was that day...and what did we see? Consistent inconsistency. Panic at the first sign of pressure (which today was actually relatively rare). Over- and under-throwing receivers with regularity. Egregious levels of inaccuracy.

That all points to one and only one logical, plausible, reasonable conclusion. Even under as close to perfect conditions as Iowa is capable of providing, Spencer Petras still is not able to perform as a reliably high-caliber Big Ten quarterback.

Nice kid? Sure. Good human? Probably so. Solid student? No evidence to doubt that assertion. Even marginally serviceable FBS Power 5 QB? Nope. But hey...no one is perfect.
This post cannot be overused enough. This is the SP era summed up perfectly. Leave it to ole Doodle to nail it.!

I don't know but I'm pretty good at intel analysis. Many signs point to Joey Throws taking the job. Spencer and Alex know it. They have only a shopworn momentum of inertia working for either of them. You wrote some of the reasons Spencer won't start. Remember the coaches cannot entirely ignore the fan base. Spencer hasn't just struggled, he's failed and basically declined over the season. Alex couldn't win the job for many reasons, and he's no answer. Only Joey makes sense and reconciles much of what we can derive from the various glimmers of information.
You don't know jack about Labas but I know you are hoping you can get even more mileage out of that lame nickname. How about we wait to see him play, there are idiots who were talking up Petras when Stanley was struggling against good competition not too long ago. We see how that went, these are KF QB prospects we are talking about afterall

I may have missed it but why do you keep calling him Joey Throws? Wondering what he's done to earn that nickname thus far...

Reactions: iahawks10
Never fun to tell a kid they're not good enough. But it has to be done. At this point Spencer has started what, 17 or 18 games. Spencer rattles almost as easily as he did in his first game.

If Petras starts next fall there will be a rebellion that starts to infect donors and that will get the ADs attention.

It is not hyperbole to say Jake Christensen would have won this game today, simply by avoiding the crushing mental mistakes and inability to see the field. Jake R would have increased the scoring significantly over the last two seasons.

Petras/Padilla are done at Iowa. Joey needs to be the real shit next season because he will have a pretty good team around him.
I don't agree that Jake C would have won the game. My mental recollection of him is bouncing throws five yards in front of open receivers. There is a reason that Jake is leading the poll for worst QB in the Ferentz era.

I also think Doodle nailed it. I was at the game, but have grown accustomed when at a road game or bowl game to listen to Dolph and Eddie. Don't get me started on Dolph, but when I saw what Petra's didn't see on the field it then became Podalacks comment. Petra's misses wide open receivers because he is so much the company QB. He really has such skewed tunnel vision that he isn't situationally aware. That just cannot be fixed by a QB coach and he has seen more than enough film of himself to realize defensive looks and say I saw X and Y happened so I need to look for it. Just a very average backup QB who needs like 3 more years on the sideline watching a good QB play.

Looking forward to your dishonest thoughts

And if he's not, oh boy! Another year of non-stop bitching by some posters for the new 2nd/3rd string QB to play in front of anyone with experience. Should be fun!

;)

Reactions: cmhawks99

Petras has already graduated. Padilla won’t graduate until December 2022. IMO, it will be Petras moving on after Spring, and then it will be the Padilla/Labas battle for QB1 over the Summer….

I may have missed it but why do you keep calling him Joey Throws? Wondering what he's done to earn that nickname thus far...

Thank you! 'Joey Throws" is a lame-assed rip-off of Jimmy Buckets from Hoosiers. It is kind of creepy DSD has such a man crush on a guy that hasn't thrown a pass on a college playing field.

Reactions: HawksRMe
Thank you! 'Joey Throws" is a lame-assed rip-off of Jimmy Buckets from Hoosiers. It is kind of creepy DSD has such a man crush on a guy that hasn't thrown a pass on a college playing field.
Is it as creepy as posters that have an inability to be objective about people?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT