ADVERTISEMENT

Space Shuttle Challenger documentary

Kinnick.At.Night

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2018
Looks like it just came out on Netflix. Four part documentary. Who remembers that day? What a tragedy. :(

I was sitting in my 5th grade classroom when it happened. Total gut punch. I remember some kids laughed because:

A: They didn’t understand the gravity of the situation

Or

B: They were assholes then and they’re still assholes today.

My fourth grade teacher at the school at Rhein-Main (just occurred to me his name was Mr. Norvell) was one of the folks competing for that ride.
I was stateside in Florida in fifth grade when Todd Bladel came into our classroom and told everyone the shuttle had blown up. I remember how stricken the teachers looked in the moments after.
Don’t recall a similar ‘riveting’ and nationwide event until 9/11.

Business comm class in 1999 was using the event as a lesson in how the folks who knew it couldn’t work in that environment got overridden by management.

Started watching it today. I think it's more like 6 parts. Very unsettling learning more about how the chances of something going terribly wrong were pretty high. Absolutely tragic. Video of all of CM's students and family members watching the events unfold just makes me want to puke.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I was flying to Dallas, picked up my rental car at Love Field and the radio was already on; it had just happened a couple of minutes before and they were still trying out piece together what had happened.

It looks OK. I'm watching it mostly for the 80s nostalgia. The underlying premise is that the shuttle program's issues were well-known by NASA brass and that a cover up ensued after the disaster. Not sure if I'm buying it.

Some work friends and I heard about it when we came back from a morning walk.
Some fellow co-workers were hoping that the rumor that parachutes had been seen was true but I'm sure many of us knew that was never a possibility.

It's all about cost. That's true of all systems. The shuttle wasn't any different. Both nasa and Morton thiokol knew the risks.

Reactions: Hawki97
Watched it last night. It was OK, basically just a regurgitation of everything that’s been written or told over the years about the disaster - but kind of cool to hear directly from the people involved. Ultimately, it’s a tale as old as time and will happen over and over again. The Boeing story that came out this week about their handling of the 737 Max is the next documentary I’d like to see that is pretty much a repeat of this at it’s core.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Watched it last night. It was OK, basically just a regurgitation of everything that’s been written or told over the years about the disaster - but kind of cool to hear directly from the people involved. Ultimately, it’s a tale as old as time and will happen over and over again. The Boeing story that came out this week about their handling of the 737 Max is the next documentary I’d like to see that is pretty much a repeat of this at it’s core.
You are right on point. A single angle of attack sensor is cheaper than 2, given the number of planes produced. Couple that with shoddy code and sometimes things can go horrifically wrong.

You are right on point. A single angle of attack sensor is cheaper than 2, given the number of planes produced. Couple that with shoddy code and sometimes things can go horrifically wrong.

+ Timelines, management pressure, financial impact, risk management, worker/engineer vs management tension, arrogance, blah, blah, blah.

Like I said, tale as old as time. I love how we do all these serious investigations and root cause analysis after these situations. It all comes down to the same thing - and we’ll never learn. So let’s just admit that as humans we’ll eventually use “risk management” as a way to frame things in a way to justify it until our arrogance comes back to bite us.

Last edited:
It's all about cost. That's true of all systems. The shuttle wasn't any different. Both nasa and Morton thiokol knew the risks.

42f.gif

I assume you're talking about Boeing and not the shuttle. That was a faulty o-ring, no?

It looks OK. I'm watching it mostly for the 80s nostalgia. The underlying premise is that the shuttle program's issues were well-known by NASA brass and that a cover up ensued after the disaster. Not sure if I'm buying it.

You’ll buy it afterwards. Several flights prior to Challenger experienced the same O-ring decay. It was well documented.

Reactions: OrlandNole
You’ll buy it afterwards. Several flights prior to Challenger experienced the same O-ring decay. It was well documented.
There were numerous whistle blowers who complained. The shuttle never really did what it was supposedly designed for and the pressure to launch month after month was getting to NASA. It was a dainty beast designed to do a oxen's job. Given the ice buildup and extremely cold Florida night, shit happened.

The Boeing situation is like deja vu, just different actors and industry. Like I said, I'm not surprised at all. I'm surprised we try to act all outraged and think this is new. Investigation demanded! Congressional hearings! Rabble, rabble! It's a broken record. That said, I guess I'm glad we still pretend like it's something new and we need to do something about it. It might make a board room think for the next couple months. We just don't really hold people accountable though so it will happen again and again.

The Boeing situation is like deja vu, just different actors and industry. Like I said, I'm not surprised at all. I'm surprised we try to act all outraged and think this is new. Investigation demanded! Congressional hearings! Rabble, rabble! It's a broken record. That said, I guess I'm glad we still pretend like it's something new and we need to do something about it. It might make a board room think for the next couple months. We just don't really hold people accountable though so it will happen again and again.

All you need to know is this quote by John Glenn

“There is still no cure for the common birthday.” “As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.”

Does the documentary tell any of the the jokes that were created within days of the explosion?

I can't remember jokes worth a shit but two jokes were so tasteless - and the fact that were told within 24 hours of the event - they're seared into my brain. One was the shuttle and the other was Chris Street's death. Those were true WTF moments for me!

I can't remember jokes worth a shit but two jokes were so tasteless - and the fact that were told within 24 hours of the event - they're seared into my brain. One was the shuttle and the other was Chris Street's death. Those were true WTF moments for me!
Where did the crew of the Challenger go on vacation? All over Florida.

What did Christa McAuliffe say to her husband before she left for Kennedy Space Center? You feed the dogs, and I'll feed the fish.

Where did the crew of the Challenger go on vacation? All over Florida.

What did Christa McAuliffe say to her husband before she left for Kennedy Space Center? You feed the dogs, and I'll feed the fish.

Yeah, those came out later...at least where I grew up. The one this kid told literally the night of the explosion was the two "blue/blew" eyes one. I mean, there was no internet or email in 1986 so shit didn't spread like wildfire. I looked at him with a "Really?! Holy shit!" look, as did all of us. I think the timing of being able to callously churn it out within 12 hours was what was so (disturbingly) impressive and why it sticks in my head.

Yeah, those came out later...at least where I grew up. The one this kid told literally the night of the explosion was the two "blue/blew" eyes one. I mean, there was no internet or email in 1986 so shit didn't spread like wildfire. I looked at him with a "Really?! Holy shit!" look, as did all of us. I think the timing of being able to callously churn it out within 12 hours was what was so (disturbingly) impressive and why it sticks in my head.
I heard "What does NASA stand for?" "Need. Another. Seven. Astronauts." within a day or two. The "No. I wanted a Bud Light." joke came out later...which would only make sense to people who lived in the 1980s, and watched sports.

I heard "What does NASA stand for?" "Need. Another. Seven. Astronauts." within a day or two. The "No. I wanted a Bud Light." joke came out later...which would only make sense to people who lived in the 1980s, and watched sports.
Lame one that I remember..

How did they know CM had dandruff?......

Her head and shoulders washed up on shore...

Lame one that I remember..

How did they know CM had dandruff?......

Her head and shoulders washed up on shore...

They thought they had found part of Ron McNair washed up on the beach but upon further investigation realized it was just the radiator hose from a 67 Chevy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT