Speculation on the '22 pass-rush package DL personnel

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
Watcha got?

Last year our top guys in the pass-rushing package were:
DEs: VanValkenburg, Evans
DTs: Waggoner, Van Ness
Edit: I had written Lee previously instead of Waggoner.

If we consider only a minimal alteration of last years package ... then safe money might be on:
DEs: Craig, Evans

However, Hurkett, Llewellyn, and Graves could potentially ALL have something to say about this!

One possibility:
DEs: Van Ness, Evans
DTs: Waggoner, Graves

Another possibility:
DEs: Llewellyn, Evans
DTs: Van Ness, Graves

... and the list of permutations could go on!

Hell, Black is reputed to be quite explosive ... once he can consistency play with better pad level ... he could be an intriguing option too!

Yet another possibility:
DEs: Van Ness, Craig
DTs: Black, Graves

Ideas? Which combo do you suppose will be the "winner?"

Last edited:
Doesn’t Noah Shannon play DT? Or was he accidentally left out of this mix?

I honestly have no idea. When you're deep as hell and most of your top 8-12 DL are legit pass rushers, do you even need a specific pass rush package? Or do you just rotate overall, keep guys fresh and whoever's in there will get it done?

Maybe just sit the handful of guys who aren't pass rushers and rotate the rest on passing downs? Lol.

Van Ness is too good of a pass rusher from inside, to take a DE off of the field, IMHO. I would leave him at DT (or move him back inside if he wins the regular DE spot). Evans is too good of a pass-rusher to take off of the field,also.

So, Lee and Van Ness inside, with Evans and Craig outside. Possibly between Hurkett & Craig for that DE opposite Evans.

Wild idea - Put CAMPBELL’s hand on the ground for that DE, with Benson & Jacob’s as LB and then 5 DBs. No idea if Campbell has the aptitude for pass-rushing from the DE spot, but he certainly has the speed to get around opposing OT’s. And he is, after all, super human… so he’s got that going for him, which is nice.

Leave Van Ness at de in all packages and see him bring chaos. He played dt last year just to get him on the field.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Van Ness is too good of a pass rusher from inside, to take a DE off of the field, IMHO. I would leave him at DT (or move him back inside if he wins the regular DE spot). Evans is too good of a pass-rusher to take off of the field,also.

So, Lee and Van Ness inside, with Evans and Craig outside. Possibly between Hurkett & Craig for that DE opposite Evans.

Wild idea - Put CAMPBELL’s hand on the ground for that DE, with Benson & Jacob’s as LB and then 5 DBs. No idea if Campbell has the aptitude for pass-rushing from the DE spot, but he certainly has the speed to get around opposing OT’s. And he is, after all, super human… so he’s got that going for him, which is nice.
I like the "out of the box" thinking ... but I doubt that Bell and Niemann sacrifice snaps that they could give to guys in their room (i.e. concerning putting Campbell on the edge as a rusher). I think that option would be more on the table if we DIDN'T have a good number of young, hungry, and talented aspiring pass-rushers.

Leave Van Ness at de in all packages and see him bring chaos. He played dt last year just to get him on the field.
Yeah ... Golston didn't have troubles rushing the passer from EITHER the inside OR the edge. Van Ness is likely similar that way.

Evans has always shown pass-rushing aptitude ... so I expect that he'll be very hard to displace.

Also, I have to correct myself ... through much of the bowl game, our top pass-rush package was:
VanValkenburg, Waggoner, Van Ness, and Evans

Waggs was playing on the interior. So the question will be ... will anybody be able to displace a SR Waggoner from the pass-rush package?

Watcha got?

Last year our top guys in the pass-rushing package were:
DEs: VanValkenburg, Evans

If we consider only a minimal alteration of last years package ... then safe money might be on:
DEs: Craig, Evans

However, Hurkett, Llewellyn, and Graves could potentially ALL have something to say about this!

One possibility:
DEs: Van Ness, Evans
DTs: Waggoner, Graves

Another possibility:
DEs: Llewellyn, Evans
DTs: Van Ness, Graves

... and the list of permutations could go on!

Hell, Black is reputed to be quite explosive ... once he can consistency play with better pad level ... he could be an intriguing option too!

Yet another possibility:
DEs: Van Ness, Craig
DTs: Black, Graves

Ideas? Which combo do you suppose will be the "winner?"
I would add Hurkett as a possibility. He was generating good pressure before he got hurt last year. And is ahead of Llewellyn.

Reactions: NevadaHawk

I was thinking Jestin, particular if we’re in a 2 LB set. Good size, speed, and crazy athletic. Ask Breece Hall how he looks coming off the edge.

Reactions: TKingpin and Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT