ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation (rumors) on starter leaving team

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
Seeing some traffic on Twitter on a starter (Brandon Snyder) leaving the team. More questions than anything. I hope it’s not true. Anyone else hearing anything concrete? The speculation broke about 9 hours ago and there is enough traffic to where I think it’s worth posting.

These whispers have been going on for at least a week now. I’m not a member of the Lounge, so I can’t say definitively, but the rumor appears to have some legs to it. It would be really unfortunate, but safety is a position Iowa has some proven depth at- with even more help on the way.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
These whispers have been going on for at least a week now. I’m not a member of the Lounge, so I can’t say definitively, but the rumor appears to have some legs to it. It would be really unfortunate, but safety is a position Iowa has some proven depth at- with even more help on the way.

Thanks. I just read the Wirfs thread and realized that I’m late to the party. Terrible luck for Brandon if true.

Reactions: SLarew
Well, that sucks. That said, it was like he was playing on borrowed time. Two major knee surgeries and missed big portions of the spring and fall ‘17. Glad he got his moment against Illinois, but it wasn’t like he was a player we could rely on given his injury situation.

Reactions: MitchL and HemiHawk
Man, that would suck if true. Lot of talent behind him but still relatively inexperienced. I really liked the idea of getting some more of our safeties on the field in 3rd an long to relieve our new LBs in coverage.
For sure! And Brandon going after QB...That and D-Line most vital. D-line CHANGES flavor of game no? Db in pass coverage +++

One would assume that by now, someone would have scoured the appropriate law enforcement information and, since he haven't heard anything along those lines, it would be internal/school related.

From what I have heard it is a legal-related issue. He wasn’t caught by the police, and the parties involved are not pressing charges. I will say that it isn’t for drugs, sexual assault, or anything like that.

From what I have heard it is a legal-related issue. He wasn’t caught by the police, and the parties involved are not pressing charges. I will say that it isn’t for drugs, sexual assault, or anything like that.

So.....theft?

If this is true, I think the Iowa football staff needs to take a serious look at the support system they have in place for its players that go through significant injuries or personal things in their life.

Brandon shows up on campus as a walk on, busts his tail and earns his scholly, earns a starting job, academic Big Ten, named to the leadership council as a junior. He went from a starter on the leadership council to being dismissed from the team by that same leadership council within 15 months. What changed? 2 major knee injuries and i think 4 or 5 surgeries on that knee. There was an article this spring about how tough this rehab has been on him.

Ultimately, the responsibility lies on Brandon, but could the football staff done more to help him out and not let it get to this point?

Reactions: fan fav
If this is true, I think the Iowa football staff needs to take a serious look at the support system they have in place for its players that go through significant injuries or personal things in their life.

Brandon shows up on campus as a walk on, busts his tail and earns his scholly, earns a starting job, academic Big Ten, named to the leadership council as a junior. He went from a starter on the leadership council to being dismissed from the team by that same leadership council within 15 months. What changed? 2 major knee injuries and i think 4 or 5 surgeries on that knee. There was an article this spring about how tough this rehab has been on him.

Ultimately, the responsibility lies on Brandon, but could the football staff done more to help him out and not let it get to this point?
He is a Senior, should the staff put a cast on both his arms so He cant bend His elbows? Seriously I would bet He has already been put into some counseling by the Staff and Family.

We have no idea. By all accounts, Iowa has as much support for players as any in the country. Look at how Iowa supported Welsh when he took a leave of absence from the team to deal with depression. The entire time, KF said nothing but positive stuff about Welsh (as he should have) and let him have his space and deal with the issue. When Welsh was ready to come back, he was welcomed back with open arms. If Welsh had decided to not come back, KF would have just said he decided to leave the team and left it at that.

If -- caveat here -- this is true about Snyder being gone, I'm not sure how you can blame Iowa for lack of support here. At some point, everyone of us is responsible for the decisions we make. Iowa players have access to academic support devoted just to them, access to both their position coach and the support staff coach (Binns), their teammates and the S&C coaches.

He's 23 years old according the Hawk Central piece Leistikow did on him in June. If he's off the team, I wish him nothing but the best and hope he finds happiness and satisfaction with his life going forward.

I would bet there are plenty of support resources available to any player. Whether or not they or their inner circle reaches out is on them. Cant monitor them but make the resources easily accessible

Reactions: kceasthawk

The football players have a tremendous support structure there on campus. There is staff there to support them and to guide them to make good decisions.

Furthermore, the message from Kirk and the staff is very clear. If a guy is very early in his career and makes a mistake or two ... the staff and teammates will expect the guy to make amends but there is also the recognition that youthful immaturity played a part in the mistakes made. However, if a guy is an upperclassman ... especially a 5th year SR ... a lot more is expected of the player. The staff and the leadership council expects the guy to demonstrate leadership ... and poor decisions are met with much more severely.

Brandon made the error last year - and was treated with surprising leniency. However, if what is stated is true, then the resulting course of action is consistent with what Ferentz and Co have always done. It's sad when a young man pisses away the same opportunity he worked so hard to attain. Hopefully he learns from his mistake in the long term. Operating while distracted or intoxicated/high is absolutely not acceptable ... and the sooner that he (and others) learns that ... the more safe others on the road will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u and MitchL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT