ADVERTISEMENT

Speed Camera on Interstate 80 bridge at LeClaire

argylesocks

All-Conference
Oct 1, 2001
Read this morning in today’s Northwest Daily Herald(Arlington Heights, Illinois) transportation article by columnist Marni Pike. Whew glad to know. I can’t post the article but says LeClaire has issued 95,000 speeding tickets in one year. Nice little city budget fixer. Citations for speeding range from 50-500 dollars. You may have heard about Arlington Heights a lot since this spring since the Bears are preparing to purchase over 300 acres of the shut down Horse Racing property for their new stadium. We shall see.

Read this morning in today’s Northwest Daily Herald(Arlington Heights, Illinois) transportation article by columnist Marni Pike. Whew glad to know. I can’t post the article but says LeClaire has issued 95,000 speeding tickets in one year. Nice little city budget fixer. Citations for speeding range from 50-500 dollars. You may have heard about Arlington Heights a lot since this spring since the Bears are preparing to purchase over 300 acres of the shut down Horse Racing property for their new stadium. We shall see.
They're very strict on the LeClaire cameras as well. They're sending tickets for as little as 5mph over. It's pissing off a number of the downtown LeClaire businesses because they believe it hurts their businesses. I know of 3 that have told me that in person so I would guess there are more.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I got one of those on Christmas morning heading out to my parents. Was like $75 bucks. I felt like a moron because I knew they were there but completely spaced. /csb

I have paid 3 of those thickets for my son while he was in school. Two were the same weekend before he knew the camera was there and then the last one because he thought it was on the bridge and sped up after he was off the bridge (heading West). Of course the tickets come in my name since the car is titled to me. Good thing is I think they were only $50-$75 each.

I slow down and flip that camera off everytime I drive through now. F that camera.

I've thrown three of those in the trash from I-29 in Sioux City....been a good year or two since the last one

Not off topic to many Hawk Fans that live East of Iowa. This was news to me. Why was my post was removed? And by whom?
No idea who moved it, but I'll give you two guesses.

I suppose I can see the relevancy to the Lounge as it pertains to traveling on game day, but it's a stretch and certainly not clear from the text.

No idea who moved it, but I'll give you two guesses.

I suppose I can see the relevancy to the Lounge as it pertains to traveling on game day, but it's a stretch and certainly not clear from the text.
Not a stretch by any means. Yes I am sure hundreds of fans travel this route to Kinnick 7 times a year. Guess the executive in charge made an executive decision. Sorry about informing my lounge buddies. I will try not to do it again.

Not off topic to many Hawk Fans that live East of Iowa. This was news to me. Why was my post was removed? And by whom?
39cdf9ade5b812e842aff515e04b0508493df95666e40c3d34b4220b520f1874.gif

Not a stretch by any means. Yes I am sure hundreds of fans travel this route to Kinnick 7 times a year. Guess the executive in charge made an executive decision. Sorry about informing my lounge buddies. I will try not to do it again.
Don't get butthurt over it. Send a message to Tom or Blair and edit the post to say you are posting the info for game day travel. Simple.

• Haha
Don't get butthurt over it. Send a message to Tom or Blair and edit the post to say you are posting the info for game day travel. Simple.
Simple. I have not read off topic since about 2016. I can’t stand the name calling and butthurt by posters. . Same ol same ol. Maybe the executives should realize we don’t all live near or in the Quad Cities. How I got away with it in 2022 I will never know. End of my posts on this subject.

It’s a massive grift and I won’t spend a dime in that shithole town until they take them down.

Were you spending a lot of money there previously?
Fair amount. My folks live there and there are a few restaurants I like. I sometimes bought gas and bait at the BP. Used to go to Green Tree brewery and the distillery a few times a year.

My folks still insist on meeting at Steventons, but I make them pay if we go there now 🙂

Probably going to see more and more of this...

In Europe it's pretty much standard....

What are the legalities of those? I thought I saw something during the CR camera debates that said they didn't have the authorization to make you pay the fine.

What are the legalities of those? I thought I saw something during the CR camera debates that said they didn't have the authorization to make you pay the fine.

They're not like moving violations that place points on your current driving record.

But I assume if one doesn't pay them, they then get sent to collection agencies.

The best way to circumvent speed cameras is to, you know...not speed. I know, sounds simple. But I have lived with the CR cameras for over a decade now I believe, never gotten one. I don't remember being inconvenienced once.

And besides, there's signs posted at the speed limit reduction signs on both the northbound and southbound lanes that state clearly "Photo Enforced".

Fortunately, I know how to read, soooo...

They're not like moving violations that place points on your current driving record.

But I assume if one doesn't pay them, they then get sent to collection agencies.

The best way to circumvent speed cameras is to, you know...not speed. I know, sounds simple. But I have lived with the CR cameras for over a decade now I believe, never gotten one. I don't remember being inconvenienced once.

And besides, there's signs posted at the speed limit reduction signs on both the northbound and southbound lanes that state clearly "Photo Enforced".

You're correct, but of course you're oversimplifiying. It's a bigger issue than that. The reason some courts have thrown tickets out and labeled speed cameras as unconstitutional is the inability to face your accuser. One say you get a citation in the mail and you basically have no recourse but to pay or challenge in court. It can't even be proven you were driving.

You're correct, but of course you're oversimplifiying. It's a bigger issue than that. The reason some courts have thrown tickets out and labeled speed cameras as unconstitutional is the inability to face your accuser. One say you get a citation in the mail and you basically have no recourse but to pay or challenge in court. It can't even be proven you were driving.

Exactly. I get that, I honestly do. I just believe that my response to them, in the end - is a helluva lot easier to ensure those cameras have absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever.

Well, I was wrong there - there is one impact. The Cedar Rapids zone is what, 3 miles tops? The zones drop from 60 to 55 through there. I believe the speed that kicks in tickets is 67. So, how much time does it cost me to go say 60 through there instead of 67? 5 seconds? Maybe 10 seconds tops?

I think giving away 10 seconds tops of my life on that trip - for ZERO potential hassles guaranteed - is worth it. Don't you?

That's how I look at them. I just don't need the hassle. Someone else want to Fight The Power, go right ahead. Me? I'll drive 60.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
Exactly. I get that, I honestly do. I just believe that my response to them, in the end - is a helluva lot easier to ensure those cameras have absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever.

Well, I was wrong there - there is one impact. The Cedar Rapids zone is what, 3 miles tops? The zones drop from 60 to 55 through there. I believe the speed that kicks in tickets is 67. So, how much time does it cost me to go say 60 through there instead of 67? 5 seconds? Maybe 10 seconds tops?

I think giving away 10 seconds tops of my life on that trip - for ZERO potential hassles guaranteed - is worth it. Don't you?

That's how I look at them. I just don't need the hassle. Someone else want to Fight The Power, go right ahead. Me? I'll drive 60.
Of course. It's much easier just to abide by the speed limit. Just highlighting the overarching point.

They're very strict on the LeClaire cameras as well. They're sending tickets for as little as 5mph over. It's pissing off a number of the downtown LeClaire businesses because they believe it hurts their businesses. I know of 3 that have told me that in person so I would guess there are more.
Ticketing and fining starting at 5 over is pretty controversial. Not sure it would hold up in court, but who's going to press the matter over a relatively small fine? Would like to see a stat of what % of those fined actually pay their fine.

Local ordinance. Tickets don't count against your state driving record.

In Cedar Rapids, you can show up in person at an appointed time, dispute the charge and they'll often dismiss it.

Reactions: hexumhawk

If somebody is driving more than 11 over the posted limit through the S curves, they deserve to be fined. That's too fast.

Fair amount. My folks live there and there are a few restaurants I like. I sometimes bought gas and bait at the BP. Used to go to Green Tree brewery and the distillery a few times a year.

My folks still insist on meeting at Steventons, but I make them pay if we go there now 🙂
I agree on the grift part but I wouldn't call LeClaire a shithole. Amazing how much better the town has become in the last 20 years. I like it out there (folks live between LeClaire/Princeton)

Tried that new Mexican restaurant in the old Slagle's a few months ago.. really liked it if you decide to start going back :)

Here you are doing the exact same thing, you big ol hypocrite. Advising someone to post an off topic post on the off topic board.
Don’t act like that hasn’t been your thing for years. Always crying about posts. Sorry I invaded your territory. Lol.

Ugh that thing got me too. I think it was a ticket for $90. Ironically, that was on the way home. I had 50 min to make my tee time in Moline that was 1:15 away and didn't get anything.

ADVERTISEMENT