ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Article from DMR

just_somebody

HR All-American
Mar 1, 2006
Didn't see this posted yet, and chose to give it its own thread

Good stuff in there. Not that there was much doubt, but excited that he's making Iowa his home for the foreseeable future.

Semi-serious question - how many people would have given Lee an ACL if asked?

Similarly, what would you give to see him win his 4th this year? Or be healthy the next 5 years internationally.

I tried reading the article but only made it through first paragraph. I did the maths and had to stop reading.

SL says he hasn’t felt healthy since his sophomore year….. In HIGH SCHOOL. And this is his sixth year as a Hawk. That’s 8 years of injury and illness with three national titles and world championships for age….

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I tried reading the article but only made it through first paragraph. I did the maths and had to stop reading.

SL says he hasn’t felt healthy since his sophomore year….. In HIGH SCHOOL. And this is his sixth year as a Hawk. That’s 8 years of injury and illness with three national titles and world championships for age….

kinda scary what he could be healthy

Its crazy that we are discussing 'what ifs' for a guy who - if he can simply make it on the mat this year - will be the favorite to win a title and become a 4 timer.

Tons of butterfly effect scenarios in play.. but man.. there is probably a different timeline where he stands on the podium in Paris in two years on the cusp of being the most decorated US wrestler ever.

Of course, he could still get there if his body allows it.

It is interesting but I refuse to believe there isn't quite a bit of hyperbole in his comments.

It is interesting but I refuse to believe there isn't quite a bit of hyperbole in his comments.
Curious why you feel this way…during that span he had a torn labrum, 3 ACL tears, a hernia and Lyme. All of those injuries and subsequent surgeries have been confirmed by Spencer, Tom and countless others. 2 of those acl surgeries were postponed so I’m finding it hard to believe he felt healthy or anywhere near healthy during college, at the very least. I’d buy hyperbole if he had lost a title and was making…..”excuses” but he didn’t so I don’t get the reasoning.

Curious why you feel this way…during that span he had a torn labrum, 3 ACL tears, a hernia and Lyme. All of those injuries and subsequent surgeries have been confirmed by Spencer, Tom and countless others. 2 of those acl surgeries were postponed so I’m finding it hard to believe he felt healthy or anywhere near healthy during college, at the very least. I’d buy hyperbole if he had lost a title and was making…..”excuses” but he didn’t so I don’t get the reasoning.

I was in NO way being critical. He's had stretches where he looks amazing despite the above issues.

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
Spencer is one of the best wrestler of our time anywhere, if he had a healthy career he would most likely be a P4P top 5 in the world every year, prob #1 every year he could compete internationally. The only one I could see on his level in the world is Sadulaev if Spencer’s knees were all good.

Spencer is one of the best wrestler of our time anywhere, if he had a healthy career he would most likely be a P4P top 5 in the world every year, prob #1 every year he could compete internationally. The only one I could see on his level in the world is Sadulaev if Spencer’s knees were all good.

Isn’t health a factor in all this though? Have there been 100 Russians, Bulgarians, Iranians, etc. that were supremely talented but had issues? I mean, not to bag on Spencer but I doubt he’s the only guy who’s had issues. It’s just so easy to go into “Uncle Rico” mode and claim greatness without the earned accolades.

gonna be iowas first 4 timer ,i dont know what the hell you are trying to say
Isn’t health a factor in all this though? Have there been 100 Russians, Bulgarians, Iranians, etc. that were supremely talented but had issues? I mean, not to bag on Spencer but I doubt he’s the only guy who’s had issues. It’s just so easy to go into “Uncle Rico” mode and claim greatness without the earned accolades.

Start by not assuming something dastardly or that I’m a Spencer hater or some sort and try again. That, or develop some reading comprehension. Either/or.

claim greatness without earned accolades, 2 time world champ and 3 ncaa titles, but i guess he didn't earn them

AGAIN, SPENCER LEE IS the BEST wrestler in the world!!! The closest to 100% Healthy we have seen him was at that Freestyle Tournament a few years back. He made the best we have, look stupid!!! He did not have a close match.

Aujua, Tomato, and several others were there. Not taken anything away from anyone else including the Russian Tank, but there is no way in hell that any of them could have done what he has already.

That is the answer to, injuries happen. YES, they do, some can work through minor crap and still win. A very small number have been able to overcome some pretty major injuries and win. When that has happened, they usually squeak by and that is not to taken anything away from what they did!!!

LEE has dominated at NCAAs, and the last one, he did it with two bad knees. I have never even heard of anyone even wrestling with torn ACL in BOTH knees before more or less winning the NCAAs! So to this point, he has done more then his job. He has been the face of the IOWA program! I truly believe that a lot of what he has done, he has done for this program.

He knew what it meant for us to win a team title. He knew that he was going to have to be a big part of it. I think he Wrestled hurt for IOWA. Without the F-in cvid year he would have already been a 4Xer! He would now be recovering and training for worlds and Olympics already with more time to heal up.

No other wrestler in our lifetime, could have done what LEE is doing.

Halftime so here goes! Spooner is a bit of a gadfly, it’s in his DNA. He mostly does this to members that don’t agree with him all the time, but he is a Hawk fan so I will entertain him.

Spooner, I based my statement on the fact that I have watched as much high level wrestling college and international as possible over the last 30+ years. I have seen some of the very best compete through bad injuries, most recently Hawks like Spencer, Matt McD and Cory, others like Mekhi Lewis and many more.
I have also seen many guys go through their careers relatively injury free or season ending type injury free. Guys like Snyder, Taylor, Dake, Zain, Steiber, JDen, Bo, Zahid, Ringer, Ruth all had relatively injury free careers. Now I know for sure every one of them was banged up here or there, but none had a torn ACL or a bad shoulder or a major neck/back problem like the previously mentioned guys.
Spencer is on all of their levels or above, if he had a ”relatively“ injury free career up to this point he could be ahead of all besides maybe Snyder and would be the best ever from the US by the time he is done. He is that good!

AGAIN, SPENCER LEE IS the BEST wrestler in the world!!! The closest to 100% Healthy we have seen him was at that Freestyle Tournament a few years back. He made the best we have, look stupid!!! He did not have a close match.

Aujua, Tomato, and several others were there. Not taken anything away from anyone else including the Russian Tank, but there is no way in hell that any of them could have done what he has already.

That is the answer to, injuries happen. YES, they do, some can work through minor crap and still win. A very small number have been able to overcome some pretty major injuries and win. When that has happened, they usually squeak by and that is not to taken anything away from what they did!!!

LEE has dominated at NCAAs, and the last one, he did it with two bad knees. I have never even heard of anyone even wrestling with torn ACL in BOTH knees before more or less winning the NCAAs! So to this point, he has done more then his job. He has been the face of the IOWA program! I truly believe that a lot of what he has done, he has done for this program.

He knew what it meant for us to win a team title. He knew that he was going to have to be a big part of it. I think he Wrestled hurt for IOWA. Without the F-in cvid year he would have already been a 4Xer! He would now be recovering and training for worlds and Olympics already with more time to heal up.

Listen, Spencer is really good but come on man. The kid has losses, healthy or not he lost. He will win his 4th title if he wrestles but your love with this kid is insane…

Reactions: Creek Side

Take that, Spooner. ;)

always like when someone says i don't want to bag on someone then proceeds to bag on them over and over. one thing i know spoonbill would not be calling anyone dumb or moron face to face.

always like when someone says i don't want to bag on someone then proceeds to bag on them over and over. one thing i know spoonbill would not be calling anyone dumb or moron face to face.

Lol just stop. There is no bashing of him by me here or anywhere. Spencer is my favorite all time wrestler.

Each time you post this nonsense it only proves your lack of intelligence.

Reactions: el dub
Listen, Spencer is really good but come on man. The kid has losses, healthy or not he lost. He will win his 4th title if he wrestles but your love with this kid is insane…
For me it simply doesn’t matter that Spencer has taken a few L’s in college. When it matters this kid is game bred. When it matters he doesn’t lose, and when it matters he’s heads and shoulders above the competition.

Anyone who doesn’t think Spencer has an incredible ceiling in freestyle is just being facetious. The trains rolling with or without everyone’s full support. I’ll be on it and I pity anyone who hesitates.

Reactions: Grip220
Lol just stop. There is no bashing of him by me here or anywhere. Spencer is my favorite all time wrestler.

Each time you post this nonsense it only proves your lack of intelligence.
Lack of intelligence? There you go again, bagging on half this country and OVER half of this board. Lol

The best wrestler I have ever seen on the mat. Possibly better then Gable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT