ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Article from DMR

There is no minimum number of matches a wrestler has to have to participate in the big ten and national tournaments, right? The only minimums are for seeding purposes?

Like everyone else, I'd love to see Spencer every time out and watch him just wreck everyone (especially at home and @PSU).. But if he is healthy his seeding doesn't even matter. For most people i would add 'if he's healthy', but with Lee, 50% is probably enough.

Sounds dumb, but it might even almost be better to knock out the next best guy in the first round.

Anyway, thats a long-winded way of saying I hope we see him a bunch this year, but preparing myself for settling to watch him on only two weekends in March..

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
There is no minimum number of matches a wrestler has to have to participate in the big ten and national tournaments, right? The only minimums are for seeding purposes?

Like everyone else, I'd love to see Spencer every time out and watch him just wreck everyone (especially at home and @PSU).. But if he is healthy his seeding doesn't even matter. For most people i would add 'if he's healthy', but with Lee, 50% is probably enough.

Sounds dumb, but it might even almost be better to knock out the next best guy in the first round.

Anyway, thats a long-winded way of saying I hope we see him a bunch this year, but preparing myself for settling to watch him on only two weekends in March..

If Spencer Lee enters the Big 10 Tournament with a 0-0 record he will be assigned the #1 seed.

And there's no chance he doesn't wrestle prior to Big 10s.

If Spencer Lee enters the Big 10 Tournament with a 0-0 record he will be assigned the #1 seed.

At the risk of being berated and getting an extremely patronizing response. Is that true he'd be a 1 seed without matches?

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
Spencer is so good he could win the bigs with one arm and no legs. Lol He is that freaking good. Hope he is rehab is going well. Can't wait to see him wrestle again.
What a freaking treat it's been for us to have him as a Hawk and be on the team these several years.

Well, I also believe there is no chance he'll choose to not wrestle before the Big 10 tourney, so the first statement won't have to be proven.

Why are you so convinced he'll be seeded #1 with ZERO matches? Please elaborate. I'm not trying to be a scoffer here, but am honestly curious about that.

I suspect that wouldn't happen, just as Suriano was put down in seed because of injury at that weight years ago.

Well, I also believe there is no chance he'll choose to not wrestle before the Big 10 tourney, so the first statement won't have to be proven.

Why are you so convinced he'll be seeded #1 with ZERO matches? Please elaborate. I'm not trying to be a scoffer here, but am honestly curious about that.

I suspect that wouldn't happen, just as Suriano was put down in seed because of injury at that weight years ago.
Unlike Nationals, which uses a seeding formula, B1Gs seeds are voted on by the coaches themselves. No coach is going to vote to seed Spencer anything but 1st, because they won't want to draw him lower in the bracket and screw over any of the other guys

Reactions: el dub

Already answered:

Absolutely. They wouldn’t screw any of the other 125s by seeding him lower. It’s the only way to do it.

Reactions: LIV4GOD

I may be in the minority but believe SL is going to HAVE to face real people in real matches to test his legs and sharpen his game. The guy is great and all but challenges remain and just showing up to high level tourneys after not wrestling for a year and unknown responses to his surgery wont work.

I will never forget his true freshman NCAA tournament. Flowrestling had him listed in "the field" when predicting who would win. I knew he was a great wrestler but his run through that tournament was something else. I fully realized what the Hawks had when he pinned Tomasello in the semis. It all feels the same, I had some doubts before that tournament started and do now with the injuries but would never count him out until he says he is out.

Unlike Nationals, which uses a seeding formula, B1Gs seeds are voted on by the coaches themselves. No coach is going to vote to seed Spencer anything but 1st, because they won't want to draw him lower in the bracket and screw over any of the other guys
Ah, that makes sense.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT