ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer is a BAD freaking man.

This picture encapsulates one of the best aspects of wrestling - you can become the best in the world regardless of your genetics (to some extent...at least height).
I think you're forgetting that Spencer's gene pool includes a parent who was an Olympic medalist in a grappling sport. He couldn't possibly come from better genetics.

What makes spencer so much better than everyone else? Any insight from more wrestling savvy people than me?

Is he just ultra strong in his wrists that he can control ties and grab wrists for tilts? He looks very powerful in his legs and seems to use that to put a lot of pressure from top. Ironside mentioned on the radio that Spencer seemed to have very elite level awareness in his positioning when he was hand fighting with him.
Would like to hear your opinions or better yet second hand experiences from guys who’s put their hands on the kid.
I will say he does have hell of a handshake, but Not quite as strong as gilmans....
My two cents. If I could just bestow an attribute onto a wrestler or any athlete for that matter I would focus on body awareness, balance above strength, endurance, explosiveness etc. To be sure all is well of these qualities are important, but almost anybody can develop the necessary strength and endurance. What separates the best are there ability to feel and react instinctually. This could get me on a long diatribe, but I think the focus of a lot of youth sports training is misdirected. In my opinion if you want instinctual, creative athletes need less structure and more play. Coaches need to allow and encourage guys to try stuff. Most of training should be low pressure environment where failure is okay. I've seen coaches at times criticize their kids when they try a new skill and it doesn't work because they are focused on the result. This is the real challenge because obviously you want to correct flaws but if you're not careful you discourage development. Diatribe over.

I think you're forgetting that Spencer's gene pool includes a parent who was an Olympic medalist in a grappling sport. He couldn't possibly come from better genetics.

Yeah, read the part about height. Obviously genetics are a crucial part of every sport, but wrestling with weight classes is probably the least genetically reliant.

I'm not sold that he's 100% yet, but he's still that much better than all these guys. I was impressed with Thomsen that he slowed him down for a minute and a half (but still got teched in the first period). Spencer is the kind of talent you see once or twice in a lifetime. I love what he brings to this team as a competitor and as a leader. I won't say he'll never lose again because I don't want to jinx him (I'm only superstitious in sports), but I think he can run the table this year in the NCAA and Olympics, he's that good. I'm so thankful he came to Iowa and has helped rejuvenate our program.

Thomsen was adhering to the Nebby strategy...arms extended, don’t tie up. It worked for the most part against our other guys. If a good wrestler wants to keep it to a few points, they usually can. Everybody knows what Lee is going to bring yet they cannot stop him for the most part.

Reactions: #10Hawk
If what you're trying to say is it doesn't matter what shape or size you are you can become a successful wrestler, then I agree.

Yeah. Spencer Lee clearly had no chances at basketball, football, baseball, really any professional sport that requires a certain genetic size in order to even compete. Having weight classes evens the playing field genetically (obviously only to an extent).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT