ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee and Gable Steveson share Hodge Trophy honors

In a covid shortened season, I have no issues with this simply because the two winners were so dominant and the impacts of covid were different for every wrestler. Because Spencer was limited due to covid and because GS was so impressive, I can get behind this 100%. If this was a normal year, GS might have been able to win this all by himself, in a shortened year with SL wrestling limited matches and dominating how he did, there was no chance for that.

Any other year and I think dual winners is a joke unless there is a point system of voting and the votes are tied. Creating a tie for whatever reason (outside of this year) is ridiculous and not something the top award should allow to happen if it wants to stay the top award....but this is covid and everything is a little effed up.
Don't disagree with this, but any situation where there is a voting process, the dealio is majority rule. That's the intent of voting, it's counting numbers and those with the most votes win from those interested in whatever the "contest" is (unless tied and no-tiebreaker scenario, with subjective awards no real harm with a tie I suppose).

For a subjective award not a life or death deal, but folks interested should be able to see the tally. If it's rigged or we kinda sorta count votes, why bother voting? Your time would be better spent watching Gunsmoke reruns (and who doesn't love Festus Hagen!).

And I say this not knowing for certain Spencer Lee got the most votes, maybe he didn't. But if there are votes of any kind for any situation, they should be real, and they should be posted when the process is completed. Period.

Don't disagree with this, but any situation where there is a voting process, the dealio is majority rule. That's the intent of voting, it's counting numbers and those with the most votes win from those interested in whatever the "contest" is (unless tied and no-tiebreaker scenario, with subjective awards no real harm with a tie I suppose).

For a subjective award not a life or death deal, but folks interested should be able to see the tally. If it's rigged or we kinda sorta count votes, why bother voting? Your time would be better spent watching Gunsmoke reruns (and who doesn't love Festus Hagen!).

And I say this not knowing for certain Spencer Lee got the most votes, maybe he didn't. But if there are votes of any kind for any situation, they should be real, and they should be posted when the process is completed. Period.
Correct. If Spencer didn't get the most votes then Gable was unfairly treated imo. And vice versa

Reactions: HawkFan1986
“Basically a tie” but they won’t release the number off first place votes like they always have and that they did for everyone who received a vote. It does stink a little bit of conspiracy. Lol
Honestly I think Gable won but Win magazine being based out of Iowa picked to give the award to both. Especially after the whole no acl thing. Why even vote on it?
I’m honestly cool with it but damn a lot of people are pissed lol.

The Hodge is now a joke from here forward. Gable is amazing, don’t think anyone on this site has sung his praises as much as me, but this is a terrible idea.

For one, it doesn’t even sound like it was a tie. It says “virtual tie”. So, one can read that Spencer won, but they thought it was close enough? What the heck is the point of the vote?

What a sham.
I think most people are thinking the opposite. It reads like Gable won but they didn’t want to exclude Spencer.

I agree with this post in it’s entirety except I hope SL wins his first Olympic title in a little more than a year. With the recent “outbreak” in Europe I think it’s possible the games get pushed back one more year.
They won’t push it back again. If it doesn’t happen this year then it’s onto 2024. They need to just get it done. Maybe Spencer can win a gold in the Winter Olympics lol.

Reactions: 24 so far
Explain your thinking here.
Apparently Spencer needed the five points from the fan vote just to tie the number of first place votes that Gable had. For some reason they didn’t put out the number of votes like they normally do which is strange and all they need to do is count up the second place votes.

it’s sounds like Gable won the voting, obviously very closely, but since Spencer met more of the criteria they also included him. It’s crazy but it makes the most sense. Plus the magazine is out of Iowa for some conspiracy theorists lol.

Hes just repeating Askrens take..
For some of it definitely. All three guys from flo thought the same thing and it doesn’t take much thinking on ones own to come up with it. I can only see one reason it’d be the other way around and I’m not even going to say that.

Also in past years the fan vote only counted for two but this year it was five. Which was announced before the season. But you don’t think something fishy is going on when they won’t release the votes and they even said it wasn’t a tie. It was “virtually a tie”. Meaning it might as well of been a tie but really wasn’t.
I don’t care either way tho. It just makes wrestling top award look like shit. Someone was on here the other day saying it didn’t mean anything ever since the d3 kid one it or something. I think this is even worse.

the real problem are the jackoffs voting for the Unc kid, or aaron Brooks and I think someone else got a vote. Cant remember now.

also there should be no consideration to the fan vote. All you have to do is look at the mlb and nba all star games to see how that goes. The most popular player or team with the biggest fan bases get picked every year even when they miss most of the first half of the season. Yao Ming made it every year because the entire country of Japan voted for him ever year lol.

Before NCAA’s I was going with Gable in my mind but then he took it easy on his buddy Kerk so I was back in the Spencer train. Then when ya heard the acl stuff I was definitely with Spencer. Just looking at this objectively cause I have no horse in the race. Just fyi. Congrats to both tho. Wish I was able to root them both on at trials.

Apparently Spencer needed the five points from the fan vote just to tie the number of first place votes that Gable had. For some reason they didn’t put out the number of votes like they normally do which is strange and all they need to do is count up the second place votes.

it’s sounds like Gable won the voting, obviously very closely, but since Spencer met more of the criteria they also included him. It’s crazy but it makes the most sense. Plus the magazine is out of Iowa for some conspiracy theorists lol.
Uuummmm, I ahhhh, uumm, gee I ahhh, ummm, No.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
For some of it definitely. All three guys from flo thought the same thing and it doesn’t take much thinking on ones own to come up with it. I can only see one reason it’d be the other way around and I’m not even going to say that.

Also in past years the fan vote only counted for two but this year it was five. Which was announced before the season. But you don’t think something fishy is going on when they won’t release the votes and they even said it wasn’t a tie. It was “virtually a tie”. Meaning it might as well of been a tie but really wasn’t.
I don’t care either way tho. It just makes wrestling top award look like shit. Someone was on here the other day saying it didn’t mean anything ever since the d3 kid one it or something. I think this is even worse.

the real problem are the jackoffs voting for the Unc kid, or aaron Brooks and I think someone else got a vote. Cant remember now.

also there should be no consideration to the fan vote. All you have to do is look at the mlb and nba all star games to see how that goes. The most popular player or team with the biggest fan bases get picked every year even when they miss most of the first half of the season. Yao Ming made it every year because the entire country of Japan voted for him ever year lol.

Before NCAA’s I was going with Gable in my mind but then he took it easy on his buddy Kerk so I was back in the Spencer train. Then when ya heard the acl stuff I was definitely with Spencer. Just looking at this objectively cause I have no horse in the race. Just fyi. Congrats to both tho. Wish I was able to root them both on at trials.
You said exactly everything that guys on flo said and seams to pass it on as your own thoughts? Exactly the point I made earlier that flo are influencers and opinions.

Since 2013, when they started publishing the actual Hodge votes, there has never been a close contest. In fact, almost all have been fairly lopsided. The closest votes was Alex Dieringer (27) to Zain Retherford (14) in 2016. Absolutely no precedent for a dead heat.

Add to that the covid factor - Spencer had only 12 matches to Steveson's 17. And, WIN does not know how the non- Steveson/Spencer votes would have gone [I assume nobody votes for second place]. This creates a lack of confidence in a razor thin result. This is really the only fair thing to do.

Not sure where to post this, but Spencer was just on a local sports talk radio show in Pittsburgh. As I'm sure you all could expect he came across humble and a great representative of wrestlers and your program. He said he'd like to have 100% bonus rate next year, Also said he's not sure if he will have surgery, which seems crazy.

Close two time backdoor hodge winner.

cyberbully-wisdom.gif

Tough to refute this coming from a Penis state fan which automatically makes you an expert on back doors. Nuthugger probably has some tips for you to get the splinters out of your eyelids.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Tough to refute this coming from a Penis state fan which automatically makes you an expert on back doors. Nuthugger probably has some tips for you to get the splinters out of your eyelids.

Them and the Cornholers.

gptakba, I posted a note to you on another thread asking you why all of the shots against Lee? Serious question. You are on a roll and you seem focused on taking shots at only one guy. Did he pin your kid in the past? Abuse someone you coached on the mat? Are you suffering badly? Do you need help?

ADVERTISEMENT