ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee Attempts Pull Up Record

He will be like an F5 tornado on the mat. Wouldn’t want to be his first victim.

I am in no rush - he still needs time to rehab his knees. He was already a freak of nature, but when he can’t sprawl he is not invincible.
I think he’s closer than you realize. Feeling pretty damn good from what I’ve been hearing.

I think a modified season would be best, but it’s hard to keep a dog of a bone so to speak. I bet we see him more than most speculated.

Last edited:
I think he’s closer than you realize. Feeling pretty damn good from what I’ve been hearing.

I think a modified season would be best, but it’s hard to keep a dog if a bone so to speak. I bet we see him more than most speculated.
Best news of the day.

Reactions: HawkFan1986

I think a modified season would be best, but it’s hard to keep a dog if a bone so to speak. I bet we see him more than most speculated.
What is his walk around weight these days?

Could Spencer dominate the field at 133?
I think he’d be the favorite to win for sure. I don’t know about dominate. We’ve seen him struggle turning taller opponents in the past. That said, I still think he techs, majors, or falls most not named RBY or Daton Fix.

Reactions: el dub
I wonder how heavy the record holder was. A 40 pound vest on a 200 pound man does not seem as impressive as a 40 pound vest on a 135 pound man.
Yes, but then your muscles need to pull 245lbs above the bar whereas the smaller guy is just pulling 175. I get what you are saying but from my experience, smaller guys are inherently much better at all of the bodyweight movements like pull-ups than bigger guys. I’d be pretty surprised if the record holder was 200 pounds bodyweight.

I think a modified season would be best, but it’s hard to keep a dog of a bone so to speak. I bet we see him more than most speculated.
Just because he's lifting doesn't make him closer than you realize. He's still not 8 months from surgery yet. How much we see him won't be determined for awhile. And they will be smart about it . You know how people will be if he's not out there. So pump the brakes a little bit

Just because he's lifting doesn't make him closer than you realize. He's still not 8 months from surgery yet. How much we see him won't be determined for awhile. And they will be smart about it . You know how people will be if he's not out there. So pump the brakes a little bit
I didn’t say what I said based on his lifting videos. That I can assure you, but your point is well taken. I got a little excited and spoke out of turn.

I do know how people will get, consider the brakes pumped.

Edit to add: now matter how well he’s feeling, caution will be exercised when necessary. I have full faith and confidence that Coach Brands, and the rest of the staff, will consult with Spencer and family and move forward in the best way possible.

Yes, but then your muscles need to pull 245lbs above the bar whereas the smaller guy is just pulling 175. I get what you are saying but from my experience, smaller guys are inherently much better at all of the bodyweight movements like pull-ups than bigger guys. I’d be pretty surprised if the record holder was 200 pounds bodyweight.
I think about 140-160 or 170 is the sweet spot for a challenge like this.

I've seen enough American Ninja Warrior to agree with this take.

Spencer looks great, but everything we see is upper body. If I know Lee, he's champing at the bit to get out there and dominate, I hope his coaches do their best to reign him in and do what's best for those knees. As much as I'd love to see Spencer get a 4th NCAA title, I think I'd like to see him get Olympic Gold a little bit more.

Spencer looks great, but everything we see is upper body. If I know Lee, he's champing at the bit to get out there and dominate, I hope his coaches do their best to reign him in and do what's best for those knees. As much as I'd love to see Spencer get a 4th NCAA title, I think I'd like to see him get Olympic Gold a little bit more.
Hopefully those goals aren’t mutually exclusive.

I know we love Spencer and are supposed to slobber over him, but...he did like 16 pull ups in that video. Even with a weight vest, I assume most D1 light weight wrestlers could do close to that many. Certainly an impressive feat, but why is he talking about trying for a World Record? Wasn't even in the ballpark. Am I missing something? And don't get me wrong, I love Spencer Lee.

Reactions: MizzuHawk
I know we love Spencer and are supposed to slobber over him, but...he did like 16 pull ups in that video. Even with a weight vest, I assume most D1 light weight wrestlers could do close to that many. Certainly an impressive feat, but why is he talking about trying for a World Record? Wasn't even in the ballpark. Am I missing something? And don't get me wrong, I love Spencer Lee.
He did like 24 in a minute.

I didn’t say what I said based on his lifting videos. That I can assure you, but your point is well taken. I got a little excited and spoke out of turn.

I do know how people will get, consider the brakes pumped.

Edit to add: now matter how well he’s feeling, caution will be exercised when necessary. I have full faith and confidence that Coach Brands, and the rest of the staff, will consult with Spencer and family and move forward in the best way possible.
I get it everyone is getting excited it's August school starts soon. I'm excited to see the growth Ybarra has made over the last year.

he did 16 unbroken reps. I believe he was on 28 or 29 when the video cut out. The record was 40 in 1 minute. Not 40 unbroken reps. The video was a total of 1 minute long and he didnt start doing pull ups as the video started. So its not like hes too far off

Edit: He completed 24 total. Started at the 16 second mark with his first rep so we only about 45 seconds of his attempt

It was 24 in 45 seconds. Also I can assure you very few if any 125 pounders could do that.

he did 16 unbroken reps. I believe he was on 28 or 29 when the video cut out. The record was 40 in 1 minute. Not 40 unbroken reps. The video was a total of 1 minute long and he didnt start doing pull ups as the video started. So its not like hes too far off

Edit: He completed 24 total. Started at the 16 second mark with his first rep so we only about 45 seconds of his attempt
My guess would be that he will eventually break that record using same format. Starting vid, climbing stairs and completing reps in exact 1:00 clip.

I wonder how heavy the record holder was. A 40 pound vest on a 200 pound man does not seem as impressive as a 40 pound vest on a 135 pound man.
Yeah but a 200 lber doing 39 pull ups is also more impressive. So it would probably balance out. Easier for smaller guys to lift higher percentage of their BW. Easier for bigger guys to lift more overall.

Kind of the same philosophy why the best rock climbers are women and smaller men.

Also, the bigger you are, the more likely you are to have longer arms, which means you have to pull more weight over more distance

this is spencer's last shot at the luther open. he better be ready to go.

I know I could do more when I was lighter. But weight would be confounded by age in this analysis.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
He did like 24 in a minute.

Love Spencer, But after 16 they were not full pull-ups. He was tilting his head back to try to raise his chin over the bar. I’m familiar with doing that when you are spent.

I’m not going to rag on him; I can do three with no weight vest. And 16 in about 20 seconds is sick. I’m Just being real.

ADVERTISEMENT