ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Juniors or Seniors

Reymundo

HR All-State
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spencer go Juniors and try to win a 3rd Junior World title but I seem to be in the minority. Flo has Spencer beating Ramos in best 2 of 3.

Reactions: Gobblin
I just don't see the point in wrestling against guys you will tech 10-0 in the first period. He's a competitor and probably wants to test out seniors against guys who are on his level. I would still pick him to win seniors over Ramos and Gilman.

I would like Lee at seniors so we can finally see him against Daton Fix again. But if he doesn't go, he also has the U23 trials as an option in early June.

I just don't see the point in wrestling against guys you will tech 10-0 in the first period. He's a competitor and probably wants to test out seniors against guys who are on his level. I would still pick him to win seniors over Ramos and Gilman.
The u23 champ from Cuba, I think just beat GILMAN! I have Spencer beating GILMAN this year in freestyle at the freestyle championships.

Reactions: KennyPowers8
Just me, but I believe Spencer is way past anything juniors has to offer.
At the senior level I don't see Gilman staying with Spencer. Spencer has forever been age specific dominant. As he steps into the senior ring I figure he will continue to be just as dominant.

I would guess that he has a pretty good barometer in the room. If he has pretty good results against Gilman, he goes seniors. If Gilman seems to get the best of him or he wants another relatively easy world gold, he goes juniors.

Iron sharpens Iron.

I think it was a Foley article, barf.. it said that he heard Spencer and Gilman no longer wrestle each other..Prob not true but Chief and a few others could clear this up for me!!

This may have been discussed already somewhere, but if Spencer and Gilman wrestle in the Final X, who is in whose respective corner?

This may have been discussed already somewhere, but if Spencer and Gilman wrestle in the Final X, who is in whose respective corner?

I imagine Terry would be in Gilman's corner...RHIP. This is not the same situation as with Tony. If one loses, they know it's on them and not who was in the corner.

Either way is a win. Going 57kg at junior preps him for next year. The big thing is to medal in 2019 and be sitting in 2020.

The best way to set yourself up to win a medal in 2019 is to win one in 2018. If they continue with Final X, especially after a long college season, sitting out is going to be huge. Based on comments from the HWC banquet I expected Spencer to be wrestling Seniors this year.

Reactions: Dagboi
Remember when Flo was pushing Cornell as lightweight U two years ago by cherry picking stats?
I usually don't drink the anti-Iowa Flo Kool-Aid, but that article was ridiculous. I recall is being a very odd year comparison. Like the last 7 years or something silly like that. Also, I believe they included 141 as a lightweight which added Dake's title. It's not even close. Gilman, Ramos, McD, Clark, Marion (lost in the finals to Dake) and now Lee and DeSanto vs Nickerson, Perrelli,1 year of Dake, and Garrett. Am I missing somebody?

Gable will walk through the junior wtt but is not a favorite to win seniors this year. The experience will be good for his development.

Lee is a favorite to win the senior spot. All energy and focus should be there. Can you imagine if he came just short of earning the senior spot becase he was dinged up or lacked a bit of juice after wrestling juniors? Even if he comes up a bit short I believe earning a top 3 spot at the senior wtt gets him a wrestle off with the junior champ

I usually don't drink the anti-Iowa Flo Kool-Aid, but that article was ridiculous. I recall is being a very odd year comparison. Like the last 7 years or something silly like that. Also, I believe they included 141 as a lightweight which added Dake's title. It's not even close. Gilman, Ramos, McD, Clark, Marion (lost in the finals to Dake) and now Lee and DeSanto vs Nickerson, Perrelli,1 year of Dake, and Garrett. Am I missing somebody?
Iowa has owned the bottom 2 weights but I consider 141 a lower weight.

Also, if you're gonna include Lee and Desanto you have to include Yianni and Arajau.

Reactions: andegre
Iowa has owned the bottom 2 weights but I consider 141 a lower weight.

Also, if you're gonna include Lee and Desanto you have to include Yianni and Arajau.
Yeah, I guess I’d categorize it lower 125,133,141, middle 149,157,165,174 and upper 184,197,285. Although I could see moving 174 to upper catefory

Lee is a favorite to win the senior spot.

A favorite? With Gilman already sitting in Final X, and Ramos already in the finals of the challenge tournament, Lee would have a long road ahead to win the Sr spot.

Not saying Lee can't do it, but right now, Gilman, a well rested World silver medalist already in the finals, would have to be considered the favorite.

Reactions: WrestleEveryDay
Yeah, I guess I’d categorize it lower 125,133,141, middle 149,157,165,174 and upper 184,197,285. Although I could see moving 174 to upper catefory
Not that it makes a difference but I always think lower 125, 133, 141, middle 149, 157, 165, upper 174, 184, 197, and heavyweight in on its own tier. A silly distinction but thats how I group them

I guess there are a lot of different ways to view it, I've always had 25 and 33 in their own group of lower weights, 41, 49 and 57 together. 65 and 74 as a group, 84 and 97 next and with 285 by itself. So 5 groups, which when I type it looks really weird, but it sounds much better in my head, like most things.

Above all else, I always see 125 and 133 alone to kick it off and 285 as something just as different on the other end. I don't ever think of 141 as being part of the lower weight group for some reason.

I've been told by a former Hawkeye Olympic Medalist that Thomas Gilman will never make another World or Olympic team as long as Spencer Lee is competing for the spot. He's seen enough of those two going at it in the room to make his judgement call on that.

I've been told by a former Hawkeye Olympic Medalist that Thomas Gilman will never make another World or Olympic team as long as Spencer Lee is competing for the spot. He's seen enough of those two going at it in the room to make his judgement call on that.

Now hold here just minute, didn't Aunt Flo state that Spencer and Gilman don't wrestle each other. I'm confused.

Can anyone name all the Hawkeye Olympic medalists?

I’m having a tough time coming up with the complete list.

Tommy, Terry or Lincoln Mac ate the only three I can come up with who would have been able to say with certainty that SL beats TG in the room and will fill that spot on the Olympic team.

Terry McCann - Gold (1960)
Barry Davis - Silver (1984)
Lou Banach - Gold (1984)
Ed Banach - Gold (1984)
Randy Lewis - Gold (1984)
Chris Campbell - Bronze (1992)
Tom Brands - Gold (1996)
Terry Brands - Bronze (2000)
Lincoln McIlravy - Bronze (2000)

That's what I came up with.

Heres other Non-Medalist Hawkeye Olympians
Randy Lewis (1980 DNC)