ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Juniors or Seniors

Ed and Lou Banach, Terry and Tom Brands, Chris Campbell, Barry Davis, Randy Lewis, Terry McCann and Lincoln McIllravy

Well someone beat me too it.

Those were all olympians, but not all medal winners.

On second glance, maybe that list DID all win medals?

Terry McCann - Gold (1960)
Barry Davis - Silver (1984)
Lou Banach - Gold (1984)
Ed Banach - Gold (1984)
Randy Lewis - Gold (1984)
Chris Campbell - Bronze (1992)
Tom Brands - Gold (1996)
Terry Brands - Bronze (2000)
Lincoln McIlravy - Bronze (2000)

That's what I came up with.

Heres other Non-Medalist Hawkeye Olympians
Randy Lewis (1980 DNC)
Chuck Yagla (1980 DNC)
Chris Campbell (1980 DNC)
Barry Davis (1988)
Joe Williams (2004)
Mike Zadick (2008)
Doug Schwab (2008)
Daniel Dennis (2016)

Leslie Beers (1928) was another non-medalist

A favorite? With Gilman already sitting in Final X, and Ramos already in the finals of the challenge tournament, Lee would have a long road ahead to win the Sr spot.

Not saying Lee can't do it, but right now, Gilman, a well rested World silver medalist already in the finals, would have to be considered the favorite.
Kinda like:
Terao
Desherzer
Cruz
Nico
Graff
NATO
Ramos X2

Just for kicks, here's a list of Iowa high school wrestlers that won olympic medals -

Glenn Brand - gold 1948, Clarion
Gerald Leeman - silver 1948 Osage
William Smith - gold 1952, Council Bluffs
Dan Gable - gold 1972, Waterloo
Barry Davis - silver 1984 Cedar Rapids
Tom Brands - gold 1996 Sheldon
Terry Brands - bronze 2000 Sheldon​

I think it was a Foley article, barf.. it said that he heard Spencer and Gilman no longer wrestle each other..Prob not true but Chief and a few others could clear this up for me!!
We heard the same thing from Gilman’s mouth in an interview earlier this season.....that they didn’t mix it up too much after the first couple months. And my guess was it was to keep Gilman’s confidence up. I love the kid, but there’s only one Spencer Lee. Glad Gilman made the most of his small window on the world team. :)

A favorite? With Gilman already sitting in Final X, and Ramos already in the finals of the challenge tournament, Lee would have a long road ahead to win the Sr spot.

Not saying Lee can't do it, but right now, Gilman, a well rested World silver medalist already in the finals, would have to be considered the favorite.
Nope.

Reactions: el dub
QUOTE="Novakht, post: 5373349, member: 13310"]I have seen Gilman and Spencer ee wrestle in the room hard--- I have seen each guy score on the other-- It would not surprise me in the least if either one won in an official match against each other.[/QUOTE]I've not witnessed any interaction between the two and this is the viewpoint I would have as well.

Last edited:
I guess neither is the correct answer. It sounds as if Spencer has total trust in TnT.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spencer go Juniors and try to win a 3rd Junior World title but I seem to be in the minority. Flo has Spencer beating Ramos in best 2 of 3.
With that logic Spencer way as well never wrestle another NCAA season...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT