ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee

I’m fine with it too. He’s a junior and he’s going for that world title. Mark Hall did after his true fresh NCAA title as well.

Sad as a fan though because I really wanted to see some of those matchups.

Reactions: Gobblin
I just know that it’s by design and NOT because of health/injury.
I was looking forward to seeing how he matched up with the Senior level guys.

I wonder why he's not competing in either trials. Had it been any other current Hawk on the roster I wouldn't wonder as much but because Lee's been seeking freestyle world titles out since birth this one throws me for a loop.

I get that TnT think this is best but I wonder what made them choose this as the best plan.

You aren't going to go because Spencer isn't competing? If that's the case just donate what you would've spent to the HWC. Win Win!:)

Yup...pretty much. If this were a normal Trials, I would probably go but it's spread out over 3 days with the best 2 of 3 (for those that apply) going on Sunday for Seniors and it doesn't even decide the world team.

Edit: Lesson for you Turk...as soon as said that O don’t know if I am going, the wife had that money spent

Last edited:
I assume this is about golf.

I wonder why he's not competing in either trials. Had it been any other current Hawk on the roster I wouldn't wonder as much but because Lee's been seeking freestyle world titles out since birth this one throws me for a loop.

I get that TnT think this is best but I wonder what made them choose this as the best plan.

I doubt that the Brandes imposed a plan on Spencer. I'm sure it was a joint decision among TnT, Spencer and family, and the doctors. Maybe there are academic matters in the mix too. Warner is going whole hog juniors, I doubt TnT have any problem with the freestyle circuit.

Personally, I think Spencer needs some down time. He's been very busy.

That’s kind of my thoughts on it because his history. I don’t question the decision it’s just strange he isn’t even going juniors. Oh well, excited to see the other guys.

Maybe he is taking one for the team to be 100% all in on helping Gilman get ready and they don’t want there to be any possibility of distractions.

Reactions: Dagboi
That’s kind of my thoughts on it because his history. I don’t question the decision it’s just strange he isn’t even going juniors. Oh well, excited to see the other guys.

Maybe he is taking one for the team to be 100% all in on helping Gilman get ready and they don’t want there to be any possibility of distractions.
Avoiding cornergate part deux?

I assume this is about golf.

I doubt that the Brandes imposed a plan on Spencer. I'm sure it was a joint decision among TnT, Spencer and family, and the doctors. Maybe there are academic matters in the mix too. Warner is going whole hog juniors, I doubt TnT have any problem with the freestyle circuit.

Personally, I think Spencer needs some down time. He's been very busy.
I thought his "down time" came last off season and he says he plans on competing in Europe. So he'll still compete, just not at wtt and worlds.

I thought his "down time" came last off season and he says he plans on competing in Europe. So he'll still compete, just not at wtt and worlds.

Maybe it's a combination of reasons. Junior World are in September during fall semester. The article say he's going in the summer to some European tournaments which won't interfere with school.

I think his freestyle plans are directed at 2019 and 2020. I don't know, but I can see some sense in relaxing off-season and then going in hard pointing for the olympics. Looking over the next three years, if he was going to sit a year it makes perfect sense that 2018 would be the year. He can't relax in 2019 and 2020.

He was rehabbing and never really got a chance to get stronger etc. Once you make a world team, you are subject to work outs etc at the OTC whereas he can train in IC and go to Europe and be done with it. I was really looking forward to seeing him in free but the coaches, family and Spencer know best.

For those pushing the Gilman narrative, just know that Lee is not wrestling juniors or U23 either.

Good ole' boys! INSERT 25!
The-General-the-general-lee-30444397-1600-1200.jpg

At the world's we had couple guys from Pennsylvania say that Desanto would come to Iowa not only because of Spencer Lee, but because of Spencer's dad was a hell of a recruiter.( I did watch Spencer's dad talk to Desanto quiet a bit and seamed he was really attentive to him)
They also said Spencer would not wrestle senior trials.
So far they have been right on both counts and I wish I had gotten their name's. They were associated somehow with the Strittmatters ,but I don't remember how.

I care more about next year's 125 lbs national championship that anything freestyle until the Olympic trials. So this is music to my ears.
With a history of injuries the last 3 years, I'd rather he gets some rest and prep for next season and not worry about anything else.

He didn't get the year before to just train (which should worry some folks). Right now, he is a smallish 125 and 57kg; I believe even if he would have gotten to worlds, he would have gotten outphysical'd by the international guys and their style. If he puts on some muscle, this will not be an issue.

At the world's we had couple guys from Pennsylvania say that Desanto would come to Iowa not only because of Spencer Lee, but because of Spencer's dad was a hell of a recruiter.( I did watch Spencer's dad talk to Desanto quiet a bit and seamed he was really attentive to him)
They also said Spencer would not wrestle senior trials.
So far they have been right on both counts and I wish I had gotten their name's. They were associated somehow with the Strittmatters ,but I don't remember how.

Not a lot of people understood the Lee/DeSanto dynamics. Spencer has a lot of respect for DeSanto cutting to wrestle him. I think Spencer knows what would have happened if he was healthy at the time. It's that kind of confidence and self awareness that put him in DeSanto's corner at the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic.

BTW...it's a lot like his coach, Tom Brands. You would be very surprised at who Tom has invited to work out at the HWC. Guys that we as fans have been hostile towards because of their anti Iowa antics.

Not a lot of people understood the Lee/DeSanto dynamics. Spencer has a lot of respect for DeSanto cutting to wrestle him. I think Spencer knows what would have happened if he was healthy at the time. It's that kind of confidence and self awareness that put him in DeSanto's corner at the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic.

BTW...it's a lot like his coach, Tom Brands. You would be very surprised at who Tom has invited to work out at the HWC. Guys that we as fans have been hostile towards because of their anti Iowa antics.

I totally agree. Watch the video of the state finals match where Spencer nods to Austin in between periods when he knew it was a match.

Reactions: IAChief32
Great news for Iowa haters. Look at what Snyder did for tOSU's brand after he won a world championship. Iowa delaying that process by at least a year. Smart

ADVERTISEMENT