ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer & Luka...good stuff.

Almost every state has laws restricting the use of cell phones/texting while driving.

Why do you continue with the absurd reasoning?

The restrictions regarding cell phone use vary greatly, from none to some to strong. Regardless, any restrictions are routinely ignored.

You're apparently concerned that I'm putting people's lives at risk by not wearing a mask (though I do, since it's mandatory in Colorado), yet I assume that you use your cell phone while driving, thereby putting people's lives at risk. Have you forgotten that Eli Stickley tragically died due to using his cell phone while driving? Nothing absurd about that!

• The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
  • Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
  • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
  • Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
  • Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

The restrictions regarding cell phone use vary greatly, from none to some to strong. Regardless, any restrictions are routinely ignored.

You're apparently concerned that I'm putting people's lives at risk by not wearing a mask (though I do, since it's mandatory in Colorado), yet I assume that you use your cell phone while driving, thereby putting people's lives at risk. Have you forgotten that Eli Stickley tragically died due to using his cell phone while driving? Nothing absurd about that!

• The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
  • Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
  • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
  • Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
  • Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

Why are you making assumptions that I text while driving? And why do you assume I'm not in full agreement with you that texting while driving is extremely dangerous and isn't something that should be accepted?

This thread is about masks to reduce the spread of the virus to help increase the chances that we have a college wrestling season this year.

If you want to start an awareness campaign on the dangers of texting while driving please feel free to do so, but just because one problem exists, that doesn't make other problems irrelevant. I'm done with the back and forth now on this now. All of the information is out there for those willing to seek it.

Reactions: HawkMD and Fluffles
That "contingent" is people with functioning brain matter who can think for themselves, regardless of topic. Maybe someday you'll have a similar ability and you can test the waters.
Not really directing this just at you, but "think for themselves" is certainly not equivalent to "objective reasoning". Beliefs almost always come first, followed by extensive confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. To do otherwise takes a lot more energy and allegiance more to self awareness and honesty than to any specific group or ideology. Far too many are unable or unwilling to do that. Can't wait until they find a vaccine for that.

Let's make a deal - I'll wear a mask 24/7, even while sleeping if you want, if you and everyone else stops using their cell phones while driving. Many thousands die every year from drivers using cell phones, yet nothing is done about it. If you think that the government should mandate mask wearing to protect the lives of everyone, why shouldn't you think the same about cell phone use while driving - it would save thousands of lives every year.

I agree there should be stricter laws regarding and banning cell phone use while driving. What does that have to do with a mask mandate?

That "contingent" is people with functioning brain matter who can think for themselves, regardless of topic. Maybe someday you'll have a similar ability and you can test the waters.

I mean it shouldn’t take much functioning brain matter to come to the conclusion that putting something over your face will likely result in less stuff getting in or out, right?

(I’m aware of the Duke study proclaiming gaiters and bandanas as worse, but that was only about what was going out not in, and it said the reason they were worse is because it turned large droplets into small ones, so even that is not really known to be good or bad. And of course basically all other types of masks even cotton ones were shown to be pretty effective).

I still don’t get the argument about the CDC changing their guidance on masks. So did the people refusing to wear masks now wear them then? I doubt it. Yes, the CDC shouldn’t have said that, but it was changed fairly quickly and it seems a main reason they even did it was to prevent hoarding.

Masks don’t do anything, just an easy way for politicians to put blame on citizens for the results of the virus which is controlled by no one.

Reactions: pmow38 and Gobblin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT