ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Petras at Manning Passing Academy

With Spencer ... it appears to largely be what is between the ears. Processing speed and handling adversity.

On the flip side ... the guy can lead the team and he knows how to get us into good plays. The question is whether the O can execute them (and if he'll make the throws ... even in spite facing pressure).

As for the earlier poster commenting about how his personal QB trainer isn't even making excuses ... it's his job to help Spencer improve. You don't help someone improve by simply placating them. You have to put the yoke of responsibility on Spencer ... and try to build him up so that he'll respond.

Im always alarmed at how poorly many of these guys even frame their arguments?!

Iowa got very poor play from the line and the QB positions. A lack of effort from RB. Far too many drops by the receivers. TE is the only position that didn't have a real letdown (well center but the other 4 guys poor play offset Lindy's fantastic play) and even Sam had more drops than he should.

Spencer has shown good skills in small doses. He might be good if he got used to getting time rather than getting less time than it takes Brady to get the ball out of his hand. The line played decently down the stretch. That Kentucky game line, above, says a lot. Everyone on this board, well almost everyone, would like to see Spencer have that golden finish senior year. I just don't think he has the complete talent (mental, agility in the pocket, etc...) to do it. If all it took was a strong arm that McQuire kid in the late 80s would have won the Heismann cuz he could throw it 90 yards in the air.

Total BS. He had a wide-open receiver directly in front of him five yards downfield. He could have flicked the ball backhanded or gotten it out when the edge rusher came clean.He lost presence and panicked.
Objectively wrong. He was looking to throw right, the backside blitz got home very quickly, and he tried to check down while his waist was pulled causing the ball to flutter off target.

Reactions: HawkOn15
I'm amused at how eager many of these posters are at making excuses.

Thank god Tony Racioppi isn't one of them. Maybe Spencer will make the jump this year. I hope so.

lol….yeah that’s what they’re doing. Indication of a dull mind. Some may be, but not most

I'm amused you haven't responded to the Stanzi stats above and acknowledged it is possible to improve.
Where did I say or even suggest that it is impossible to improve?.

I see you quoted my post but selectively deleted that I also stated "maybe Spencer will make the jump this year. I hope so".

Would I hope that Spencer makes the jump this year if I was unable to acknowledge that it is possible to improve?

You're an idiot.

Last edited:
Where did I say or even suggest that it is impossible to improve?.

I see you quoted my post but intentionally deleted that I also stated "maybe Spencer will make the jump this year. I hope so".

Would I hope that Spencer makes the jump this year if I was unable to acknowledge that it is possible to improve?

You're an idiot.
Nice try. I didn't delete anything, just quoted your post. I'm assuming you made an addition to try and soften your 57%/worst QB in the Big Ten rant from above. Prior to your "I hope so" edit, you had given no indication in this thread you believe in his abilities, at all. Anyway, it would be great if you used even a portion of that negative energy toward supporting Petras, but you do you.

Reactions: BBHawk and F5n5
If you watch all of the games last year, opposing defenses all pretty much played the same way. They were all like carbon copies of one another. All of them played some sort of man underneath coverage with a zone over the top and very seldom did defenses blitz. They also repeatedly bracketed or doubled LaPorta. Defenses like this are all effective when they, 1. don't respect the running game, 2. don't respect the offensive line, 3. don't respect the slot receivers and 4. don't respect the running ability of the quarterback. And it showed out just like that. I never saw any stats, but I would have to think that this offense ranked last in 2nd and 3rd down to go distance as well as negative running plays. The running game was really bad and I know I said it last year at times that it seemed like Goodson was a much better fit in the slot and then get one of those hard-nosed runners in the backfield that was going to get positive yards between the tackles. Goodson was just a much better player in space. But at the end of the day, what we all saw way too much of is that Petras was in 2nd and 3rd in long situations where defenses rushed 4 and sometimes 3 like Wisky, leaving 7 or 8 on the backside to cover 2 or 3 receivers. Spencer wasn't good at times, and sometimes he made some terrible throws, but nobody is going to make a living doing that.

The one thing that is obvious is Spencer is doing all he can to improve. He has a great arm, seems like a good kid and leader, appears very smart, and presents as humble. I am hoping very much he has a breakout year.

If he struggles early I imagine we will see a QB revolving door. No one wants that.
I’d like to see the videos of him throwing downfield completions (on target) against rushing lineman and/or blitzing linebackers, where he doesn’t already know what’s coming at him, such as in practice….

Reactions: not_mantiteo
To be fair, he was yanked while throwing by instant backside pressure on the last throw in the Kentucky game. It's not like he just overshot a receiver with set feet. But the prior possession certainly was disappointing (if not unexpected).
This is the difference with a non-mobile QB. We only needed 5 more yards on that last play to be easily in Shudak FG range. A more mobile QB might have ran for those last few yards needed….

You mean like this when the entire right side and RB missed there blocks.

Holy shit, that was brutal. For you guys that try to stay in the middle and keep it real..,you’re the only reason this board is worth coming to. These other Jamokes can make a fella bitter

I didn’t remember that play. Shocking he got up!

haha, and as a continuation of my response above, let's add in Stanzi's senior season and see what happened to an immobile QB who struggled with accuracy his first two seasons...

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
2007IowaBig TenQB2040.000.0-11.301-50.0
*2008IowaBig TenSOQB1315025459.119567.77.2149134.8
*2009IowaBig TenJRQB1117130456.324178.06.81715131.6
*2010IowaBig TenSRQB1322134564.130048.79.4256157.6
The biggest difference between Spencer and Ricki is when Stanzi threw a terrible pick it was usually returned for a touchdown, thereby sealing the W for the Hawks. I want to say Iowa was undefeated when he threw a Rick6. It became a running joke that the first play should just be an intentional interception and allow them to return it. Got them right where they want them.

That's one of many 'Tyler Specials' unfortunately. That part of the pass pro offense will be vastly improved in effort and results this year. The rest of the line we shall see in terms of results, effort will be there.

It is certainly a good litmus test for those guys that routinely bitch because a supposedly talented WR/Rb can’t get to the field because of blocking. Looked pretty important there…just sayin’?

He was our starter in 2020, and was bad. Then in spring/summer of 2021 we heard how amazing he was looking, and in the 2021 season he was bad. It's now spring/summer of 2022 and we're hearing how amazing he's looking. Do you seriously blame people for being skeptical? This will be his third year as the starter, and he's been bad the previous two. I hope I'm wrong and he comes out much better, rooting for him if he's the starter. Just not buying the pre-season hype until it happens when it matters.
2nd best offense in the Big Ten in 2020

Not this shit again. At this point, who the hell cares how far SP can throw a football? Petras is a career 57% pass completion QB. More than 530 pass attempts. 57.1% in 2020. 57.3% in 2021. The worst starting QB in the Big Ten.

Bragging about his is arm strength is akin to raving about the pitching prospect who can throw a 100mph fastball.... incredible......but walks every other batter because he is wild AF.
This is the correct answer. We know all about his tools and practice reports. Problem is he lacks the mental part of the game, panics under pressure , and has some of the slowest footwork I’ve ever seen in a QB.
If you’re expecting a new man come September be prepared to be disappointed

2nd best offense in the Big Ten in 2020
So does this statistic give SP a pass for a very underperforming last 8 games of the year when he played (save the 2nd half of NE game)? And does this 2020 stat also mean he can play like he did in Citrus Bowl (with a great supporting cast, even OL was good) for 2022 season? If so, you must also believe we shouldn’t give any other Iowa QB who’s also worked his butt off a chance to do better….after 19 games experience, he’s had plenty of chances…. I say let’s see the next guy who assuredly has at least more mobility, and can’t possibly do any worse than SP was against Kentucky…..

So does this statistic give SP a pass for a very underperforming last 8 games of the year when he played (save the 2nd half of NE game)? And does this 2020 stat also mean he can play like he did in Citrus Bowl (with a great supporting cast, even OL was good) for 2022 season? If so, you must also believe we shouldn’t give any other Iowa QB who’s also worked his butt off a chance to do better….after 19 games experience, he’s had plenty of chances…. I say let’s see the next guy who assuredly has at least more mobility, and can’t possibly do any worse than SP was against Kentucky…..
I think he’s a great young man with a heck of an arm, but he just doesn’t have good pocket presence or the ability to beat pressure in the pocket with mobility or threat to run. He seems to easily panic when pressured. Hate to say that, but just watch the tape, it’s right there

Here is what it says….we better hope like hell some Qb on our roster is improved and in all honesty it could just as likely be Spencer or nobody. So I don’t get trying to prove how awful he is, but hey you do you!

Here is what it says….we better hope like hell some Qb on our roster is improved and in all honesty it could just as likely be Spencer or nobody. So I don’t get trying to prove how awful he is, but hey you do you!
Not trying to attack the person, only the QB play. And mostly trying to be a voice for the next man in to give a better fighting chance in 2022, either Labas or Padilla.

Anyone impressed by someone performing in gym shorts and a t-shirt without a defense is pretty easy to satisfy.
Losing seven pounds isn't going to make Spencer more elusive.
Having better protection or a better running game isn't going to keep him from underthrowing a 15 yard pass by 5 yards.
I think Spencer is a great kid, he's just not a Big 10 QB.

Not trying to attack the person, only the QB play. And mostly trying to be a voice for the next man in to give a better fighting chance in 2022, either Labas or Padilla.

That’s the point…. We need one of them to be really good and there’s about 10% of you that are convinced there’s no way in hell that can be Petras and if he is named the quarterback then it’s a flaw in Coach Ferentz management and that’s utter bullshit.

Period, end of story and stupid! Based on what I saw last year between Petras and Padilla I still want Petras to be the quarterback.

My hope is Joey LaBas really is that good. But that’s not the isolated news we’ve been hearing by other sources not named KF!

That’s the point…. We need one of them to be really good and there’s about 10% of you that are convinced there’s no way in hell that can be Petras and if he is named the quarterback then it’s a flaw in Coach Ferentz management and that’s utter bullshit.

Period, end of story and stupid! Based on what I saw last year between Petras and Padilla I still want Petras to be the quarterback.

My hope is Joey LaBas really is that good. But that’s not the isolated news we’ve been hearing by other sources not named KF!
I'll take 3-0 Padilla in any game he had significant minutes in last 8 games, over 1-4 Petras in any games he had significant minutes in last 8 games. Plus Padilla is more mobile......

You act like KF has never been wrong when assessing talent in the QB room before.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
This argument is ponderous. The case has been made on both sides hundreds of times.

On the one hand, Petrus has sucked - bad throws, sacks, hurries - statistically and by simply watching him play, he sucked.

On the other hand, he had a ton of help sucking. Bad OL, no running game, freshman WR's. Lousy OC that couldn't figure out how to help him. Predictable offense.

We will have much more to discuss this fall when he is the starter.

Hope he succeeds this year, doubtful that he does. Personally find it absolutely ridiculous he’s locked into a starting position and the team didn’t shoot for a portal QB. It was obvious the past two seasons that QB play has severely limited the team.

Also hilarious to see these camp videos used as ways to showcase growth. It’s a ****ing summer camp.

When do you think the wrong QB started? Who should have started?
Well he started Christensen over Stanzi and Rudock over Beathard, and he sat a Heisman runner-up his junior year in favor of McCann.

Yes, I know, this is where I'm told that at the time Christensen was actually the right call to start over Stanzi, and Rudock was the right call to start over Beathard, and McCann was the right call to start over Banks, because none of those guys were quite ready yet and KF picked just the right moment to bring them in. I get it.

ADVERTISEMENT