ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Petras at Manning Passing Academy

Defenses like this are all effective when they, 1. don't respect the running game, 2. don't respect the offensive line, 3. don't respect the slot receivers and 4. don't respect the running ability of the quarterback.

So pretty much don't respect ANYTHING.

Perfect! 😂😂😂

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Same story every spring/summer... SP looks amazing.

I'll believe it when I see it on game day.
Spring practice:
iu

Game Day:

iu

Reactions: kwinks1
His arm has never been an issue. I really hope he has a great final season
You are correct and he can make all the throws. Much better throwing long than Stanley. He can also drop it in the bucket. I think Petras will have a good senior season. Better line play and a more consistent grind and pound running game would help him tremendously.

Anyone impressed by someone performing in gym shorts and a t-shirt without a defense is pretty easy to satisfy.
Losing seven pounds isn't going to make Spencer more elusive.
Having better protection or a better running game isn't going to keep him from underthrowing a 15 yard pass by 5 yards.
I think Spencer is a great kid, he's just not a Big 10 QB.
My hope is Joey LaBas really is that good. But that’s not the isolated news we’ve been hearing by other sources not named KF!
I'll take 3-0 Padilla in any game he had significant minutes in last 8 games, over 1-4 Petras in any games he had significant minutes in last 8 games. Plus Padilla is more mobile......

You should & thankfully your not the coach!! But I’ll wager any professional talent observer would disagree with you & that’s why you’re here on a message board.

You act like KF has never been wrong when assessing talent in the QB room before.

Some of you cats really do just put the blinders on don’t you! Holy shit this board has been fraught with analytics and quarterback comparisons and stories about said quarterbacks readily admitting they weren’t ready but there you go you just stay right in there…keep at it buddy keep at it blinders are good for folks like you. Probably keeps you out of trouble.

You mean like this when the entire right side and RB missed there blocks.

In a nutshell...this play illustrates the issues with the team last year. Watch everyone pretty much get beat, all the while...Linderbaum is pancaking his guy. One play is a microcosm of last year's passing game.

Last edited:
Well he started Christensen over Stanzi and Rudock over Beathard, and he sat a Heisman runner-up his junior year in favor of McCann.

Yes, I know, this is where I'm told that at the time Christensen was actually the right call to start over Stanzi, and Rudock was the right call to start over Beathard, and McCann was the right call to start over Banks, because none of those guys were quite ready yet and KF picked just the right moment to bring them in. I get it.

Just because you don’t have a mental capacity to wrap your head around it doesn’t make it not true brother.

I wouldn’t put you in charge of evaluating toast.

Reactions: BBHawk and F5n5
Some of you cats really do just put the blinders on don’t you! Holy shit this board has been fraught with analytics and quarterback comparisons and stories about said quarterbacks readily admitting they weren’t ready but there you go you just stay right in there…keep at it buddy keep at it blinders are good for folks like you. Probably keeps you out of trouble.
Dear Irony,
I love you.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Dear Irony,
I love you.

I thought you’d like that but here’s the rub; one of us is and one of his isnt! I’ll trust the guys that history has shown are pretty insightful when it comes to what they see on the field, what they talk about in here and the way they present their information…

Ill also take a look at the fact that Ricky Stanzi and Brad Banks appear to have the upmost respect for Kirk Ferentz. Pretty odd (I/e: highly unlikely) coming from a couple guys that were stifled by him… But then again you guys struggle with that kind of stuff. You often miss the forest because of the trees

If you told me the sky was blue I’d have to reevaluate what I thought my whole life. You and your ilk are agenda driven.

I don’t care who the quarterback is I just want him to play better, because they were very poor last year.

Reactions: ltsimmer
I thought you’d like that but here’s the rub; one of us is and one of his isnt! I’ll trust the guys that history has shown are pretty insightful when it comes to what they see on the field, what they talk about in here and the way they present their information…

Ill also take a look at the fact that Ricky Stanzi and Brad Banks appear to have the upmost respect for Kirk Ferentz. Pretty odd (I/e: highly unlikely) coming from a couple guys that were stifled by him… But then again you guys struggle with that kind of stuff. You often miss the forest because of the trees

If you told me the sky was blue I’d have to reevaluate what I thought my whole life. You and your ilk are agenda driven.

I don’t care who the quarterback is I just want him to play better, because they were very poor last year.
Yeah, like I said, you think KF started exactly the right guys at exactly the right moments and made those changes at QB at exactly the right time.

Not agenda driven at all, I've been rooting for SP since his first start at Purdue. Is a good leader and seems like a great young guy. I want whoever our starting QB is to succeed and for Iowa to win. I just don't think KF has been right 100% of the time.

Yeah, like I said, you think KF started exactly the right guys at exactly the right moments and made those changes at QB at exactly the right time.

Not agenda driven at all, I've been rooting for SP since his first start at Purdue. Is a good leader and seems like a great young guy. I want whoever our starting QB is to succeed and for Iowa to win. I just don't think KF has been right 100% of the time.

LOL…. Brother I don’t think anyone is right probably even 75% of the time least of all you or me. But I also don’t think it’s productive or even necessarily a positive for any business or program or what not to constantly second-guess somebody whose reasoning has fallen under the microscope many times and although I may not agree with the decision. I have zero problem with the reasoning.

You apparently from the cheap seats are convinced that damn son of a bitch Blew it. As I said you be you, that’s just not how I’m gonna live my life!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
My hope is Joey LaBas really is that good. But that’s not the isolated news we’ve been hearing by other sources not named KF!

You should & thankfully your not the coach!! But I’ll wager any professional talent observer would disagree with you & that’s why you’re here on a message board.
It’s an opinion, and I’m not trying to jam it down your throat. From everything I read that you comment on, also glad you’re not a coach….you and some others on this board talk as if your opinion is royalty and others opinions are worth debasing and making fun of…..get over yourself and stop wasting time on attacking hawk fans, as you seem to enjoy acting the bully role on this board….

Reactions: DewHawk
Hope he succeeds this year, doubtful that he does. Personally find it absolutely ridiculous he’s locked into a starting position and the team didn’t shoot for a portal QB. It was obvious the past two seasons that QB play has severely limited the team.

Also hilarious to see these camp videos used as ways to showcase growth. It’s a ****ing summer camp.
When they made bf the QB coach id say they closed the door on any transfers! You'd have to be out of your mind to transfer here, or just not a very good qb.

Reactions: truehawkfan45
It’s an opinion, and I’m not trying to jam it down your throat. From everything I read that you comment on, also glad you’re not a coach….you and some others on this board talk as if your opinion is royalty and others opinions are worth debasing and making fun of…..get over yourself and stop wasting time on attacking hawk fans, as you seem to enjoy acting the bully role on this board….

Of course you do.

Just block him. His head is so far up BFs arse...

Reactions: littlez

Listen I’ll give you credit for being reasonable. These other fellas like @nbanflfactory, my God he really has no clue I don’t even care for Brian Ferentz. I think he’s a bit of a shithead. I think he’s probably a better coach than he gets credit for but he’s got a lot of growing to do and he really can be from all accounts an arrogant ass…

But that just goes to show you the kind of people you’ve aligned yourself with. They’re not dealing with facts or reality & they point fingers, they name call and they skip actual real Truths.

Id wager there are a ton of people in my camp you’ll find that would never call themselves “BF supporters “but those guys are so dim they’re incapable of coming up with realistic arguments. So they resort to 10-year-old tactics.

And then they block anybody that they can’t win an argument against!

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of an agenda there.

So pretty much don't respect ANYTHING.

Perfect! 😂😂😂
I know you are trying to have a mic drop moment, but your deduction is not entirely true. Opposing defenses certainly respect the tight end and they will always respect the play action scheme, thus why most everyone plays 2 safeties over the top against this offense. All the defenses have pretty much held the line that they will not get beat by the long ball, will make sure they contain the TE, and then make Iowa show they can beat them with the running game consistently against their 3 and 4 man fronts. There is no reason to think this will not continue until Iowa's offense can take advantage against those fronts, control the line of scrimmage and gouge them with the run, thus, forcing defenses to drop a safety and get those corners looking into the backfield.

Personally I don't think the tools are there in 2022 to do this, but, lets hope I am wrong. But on paper it sure looks like 2023 and 2024 to be the years to take advantage of.

In a nutshell...this play illustrates the issues with the team last year. Watch everyone pretty much get beat, all the while...Linderbaum is pancaking his guy. One play is a microcosm of last year's passing game.
Just goes to show that the Oline is only as good as its' weakest link. While losing Linderbaum is huge, if the others improve we might actually have a better "oline" without him this year.

God...Goodson's blocking was horrific in this Penn State game in the clips earlier. He was responsible solely for giving up two sacks in this game...then on the clip, I just noticed he whiffed on this one too. Geez...I can't believe they left him in there on passing downs after this game.
I think you really hit on it. I don't think as a whole that Goodson was really all that good last year across the board. He missed a lot of holes, rarely if ever broke tackles, a lot of times went down either on his own or with light contact, and his blitz protections seemed to be really bad a lot of times. But, he seems to get a big pass for some reason while SP, BF and KF take all the heat.

You nailed cm to a “T”. Really nothing but a bully. His opinion is the right one and anyone who disagrees with him is “stupid.” I put him on ignore weeks ago. His hateful posts aren’t worth wasting my time on.

I feel strongly both ways!!! I really do.
So my hope is Goodson is gone as he was all about him and not getting hurt and KOK will not be in the QB's head. There was a history of QB's regressing under KOK. IMHO.....

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
One of the absolute saddest things I ever hear anywhere in my life happens to be bandied about on this message board a lot.

Who the hell can even feel good about themselves being ignorant enough to say a 22 year old can’t get better my God there are thousands and thousands of 20, 22, 24, year-old men in minor-league baseball basketball etc. etc. all over the world still trying to get better and yet Spencer Petras cannot…. kind of shows what you’re dealing with, with a lot of the folks on here !

Can he suddenly become agile? Not likely.

Can he suddenly become an accurate passer? Not likely.

Can he suddenly scramble and make unscripted plays happen or pick up first downs with his feet? Not likely.

Glad you are rooting for him though. I’m sure it makes all the difference. Homers are the only ones who should be allowed to voice an opinion about the most critical position on the entire team.

Well he started Christensen over Stanzi and Rudock over Beathard, and he sat a Heisman runner-up his junior year in favor of McCann.

Yes, I know, this is where I'm told that at the time Christensen was actually the right call to start over Stanzi, and Rudock was the right call to start over Beathard, and McCann was the right call to start over Banks, because none of those guys were quite ready yet and KF picked just the right moment to bring them in. I get it.
Here's where you meet reality.

BB-literally everyone, including Brad himself, have always said he wasn't ready to start, did not know anywhere close to the whole offense (when in he ran a limited number of plays that highlighted his mobility). No one has ever said otherwise, except semi-informed fans that are not Hall of Fame coaches. This story is completely fabricated.

Jake C-started two games before the switch was made. Moreover, if you look at the two games Jake outplayed Ricky. You think maybe the coaches wanted to see if Ricky could keep the Wild Thing under control before he got the complete keys to the car? The people who have to make real world decisions need to consider things like that before they make a QB change, and they do not have the luxury of hindsight. Since Ricky threw either 14 or 16 picks that season alone, he remained kind of a Wild Thing. Since they split time in the first two games, and Ricky started the last ten this tale is grossly disingenuous, naive and misleading.

Now go journey down CJ/Rudock's season game by game. Rudock significantly outplayed CJ for the entire season-but CJ kept improving and provided the greater upside so once that was established the coaches changed starters. CJ's improvement was not certain at the outset of the year. CJ had some really bad games the year of the rivalry. CJ got the job and they both played in the NFL-meaning Jake Rudock was a very good quarterback. Jake surpassed CJ in every statistical category, including wins during their season together.

All three of your "examples", even the factually accurate parts, do not offer any kind of a real-world indictment of the coaches' ability to recognize the best QB on the roster.​

What I don't get about these QB complainers is the willingness to just make shit up (e.g. BB junior year) or at least conflate the later product with the earlier part of their careers. CJ passed Jake, but Jake was obviously way ahead of CJ at even the midpoint of the season. Ricky became great but he threw 24 interceptions his first two seasons and he was playing with the two best receivers we ever put on the field together in the Ferentz era so maybe not starting Ricky out of the gate was simply prudence-and perhaps a good way to prepare Ricky for the crowds and the pressure.

If someone wants a fantasy world, why make it dark and dystopian? Why not make up a place that sounds much more fun? Like this:

Reactions: F5n5

BB-literally everyone, including Brad himself, have always said he wasn't ready to start, did not know anywhere close to the whole offense (when in he ran a limited number of plays that highlighted his mobility). No one has ever said otherwise, except semi-informed fans that are not Hall of Fame coaches. This story is completely fabricated.

Jake C-started two games before the switch was made. Moreover, if you look at the two games Jake outplayed Ricky. You think maybe the coaches wanted to see if Ricky could keep the Wild Thing under control before he got the complete keys to the car? The people who have to make real world decisions need to consider things like that before they make a QB change, and they do not have the luxury of hindsight. Since Ricky threw either 14 or 16 picks that season alone, he remained kind of a Wild Thing. Since they split time in the first two games, and Ricky started the last ten this tale is grossly disingenuous, naive and misleading.

Now go journey down CJ/Rudock's season game by game. Rudock significantly outplayed CJ for the entire season-but CJ kept improving and provided the greater upside so once that was established the coaches changed starters. CJ's improvement was not certain at the outset of the year. CJ had some really bad games the year of the rivalry. CJ got the job and they both played in the NFL-meaning Jake Rudock was a very good quarterback. Jake surpassed CJ in every statistical category, including wins during their season together.

All three of your "examples", even the factually accurate parts, do not offer any kind of a real-world indictment of the coaches' ability to recognize the best QB on the roster.​

Fiction writer I see. Good grief.

Im always alarmed at how poorly many of these guys even frame their arguments?!
Some Quarterbacks if they throw quite a few in succession get hot, and are not so good when they throw like every 3rd or 4th play. Iowa had a quarterback in the 70s that was supposed to be so good and wasn't, and then the last few games he threw all the time and was very good

Yeah, like I said, you think KF sat the eventual QB starters at just the right time, and then made the switch at just the right time. Let me guess, naming Paki O'Meara the starting RB in 2009 was exactly the right call too, but just for that first game because Robinson and Wegher weren't really ready until week 2, right?

Too funny.

What part is factually in error?

Stanzi Qbr 98.1
Jake 4.0

I also believe Stanzi started in this game, the second game of the year.

The first game of the year Jake was 9/15 while Stanzi was 9/14 passing.

Pittsburgh game Stanzi again outplayed Jake, yet Iowa coaches had Jake in there the entire second half to bumblefock the game away.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
ADVERTISEMENT