ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Vs RBY

There is money to be made by putting this match on a PPV card after next March. I hope someone able to organize such a card is smart enough to do it.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I think Spencer wins. But it would be a battle. RBY presents the same problems Rivera did (and spencer had 2 knees at the time). Fast and bigger. And can attack from the outside.

In Spencer's favor? He doesn't have to worry about a RBY in terms of the number of attacks. His sprint would be hard for Spencer to stop - but if Spencer gets his hands on RBY - I think he's getting the takedown and at least one turn.
Spencer never once wrestled him at 100%, not even the two times he handled him easily. And I personally don't think RBY is as good as Rivera, he's just quick and a great strategist. Rivera has better skills and still needed crappy calls to beat a 60% Lee. RBY match wouldn't be close once Spencer got ahold of him. He's a much better finisher than DeSanto and a better rider.
RBY can train with whomever he pleases, none of those guys are as good as Spencer.

Spencer never once wrestled him at 100%, not even the two times he handled him easily. And I personally don't think RBY is as good as Rivera, he's just quick and a great strategist. Rivera has better skills and still needed crappy calls to beat a 60% Lee. RBY match wouldn't be close once Spencer got ahold of him. He's a much better finisher than DeSanto and a better rider.
RBY can train with whomever he pleases, none of those guys are as good as Spencer.

I look at it this way. RBY is a very good wrestler who, by wrestling very strategic matches was able to beat Desanto, but with a razor thin margin. Lee, otoh, when healthy is an all-time great. So, yeah, bumping up a weight I think Lee still wins handily.

I think I can speak for the BWI collective. This would be a huge and entertaining match. We are all in.

I think post double ACL Sr. Spencer will be better than Soph Spencer.

I also think RBY is 'now' better than Rivera and all three positions and Cael is a better game planner than any coach in the country.

It would be epic.

Last edited:
I think I can speak for the BWI collective. This would be a huge and entertaining match. We are all in.

I think post double ACL Sr. Spencer will be better than Soph Spencer.

I also think RBY is better than Rivera and all three positions and Cael is a better game planner than any coach in the country.

It would be epic.
Rivera winning 7-2 when they met certainly backs those claims up. 😉

I think Rivera has more skills than RBY, but takes more risks and doesn't strategize the same way. We also know that without the weird one year rule that has since been eliminated for an automatic one point for hitting someone's face that Lee wins that B10 title in regulation because it never makes it to OT to lose. Also I think the ref is way quicker to call a stall on RBY than he did for DeSanto because their reputations are very different and (even though it shouldn't) referees call matches different because of that. If Bryon Russell pushes off Michael Jordan to win a title instead of vice versa, they call an offensive foul and let the Bulls win too. I think Spencer gets the benefit Austin did not, and gets multiple stall calls if he backs up.

If Lee weighs in at 125 and rby 133 then rby wins. Sorry to say, but size matters boys. If they both weigh in 133 it is super close but I favor a full feed Lee by 1 or 2 points.

So it's been 3 years. What is this mystery injury/illness that Spencer had that year? Because my sources told me it was just a mental (and matchup) thing that year. We know he had 2 healthy knees (tore his ACL in the finals against Mueller)

David Taylor got a size advantage when he wrestled JB. Why does Fun State get another size advantage? I blame Kyle Dake for what he did to DT.

Last edited:
If Lee weighs in at 125 and rby 133 then rby wins. Sorry to say, but size matters boys. If they both weigh in 133 it is super close but I favor a full feed Lee by 1 or 2 points.
Why would they weigh in at different weight classes?

Scuddy… I don’t mean to be rude, but why would they weigh in at different weight classes? I don’t think that’s even a thing.

And btw, Spencer would smesh RBY.

Reactions: bammhawk1
So it's been 3 years. What is this mystery injury/illness that Spencer had that year? Because my sources told me it was just a mental (and matchup) thing that year. We know he had 2 healthy knees (tore his ACL in the finals against Mueller)
That makes a lot of sense. It’s well known that Spencer is mentally weak. He’s shown it time and time again. Mental weakness is way more plausible than the rumor of a disease similar to Lyme disease(or actually Lyme disease).

Yeah, for one year of his life he became mentally weak. That makes a lot more sense than a lingering illness that sapped his energy.

yeah. doubt that. Who broke it on this board that NCAAs had been cancelled?

I know some things about some guys on the team that have never been posted here. If I share it once, does that mean I'm right about everything else no matter what moving forward?

Reactions: Gobblin
Yeah, for one year of his life he became mentally weak. That makes a lot more sense than a lingering illness that sapped his energy.

Mentally weak year? Nah. His results say otherwise - 9 pins, 6TFs, 4 MDs out of 26 matches doesn't exactly scream year long illness.

I'm fully ready to admit if i'm wrong - but this "illness/injury" sure only seems to pop up against a guy who just couldn't be bullied by Spencer. It's not like he didn't have the same issue as freshman. If he didn't blow guys away in the first period (until NCAAs) - he would get tired then too.

I know some things about some guys on the team that have never been posted here. If I share it once, does that mean I'm right about everything else no matter what moving forward?

Fair

When he won 2016 Junior World Championship against Parpeiv, Lee was behind 0-4 at 1:18, 2-4 at 3:00, 3-8 at 4:00, 5-8 at 5:00. He didn't look tired at all when he came back to win 11-9 in the last 30 seconds.

ok. then what was the issue?
Dude, it’s none of our business what the issue was. However, it was obvious to anyone who followed SL for any length of time that he was fighting an illness that left him drained. That was obvious. A world champ doesn’t digress for a year for no reason. And then come back strong the next season.

When he won 2016 Junior World Championship against Parpeiv, Lee was behind 0-4 at 1:18, 2-4 at 3:00, 3-8 at 4:00, 5-8 at 5:00. He didn't look tired at all when he came back to win 11-9 in the last 30 seconds.

That wasn't his freshman year. Where we ALL saw him fade late in matches.

That wasn't his freshman year. Where we ALL saw him fade late in matches.
Before his sophomore year began there was a video going around about how he was doing a lot more running. Saying that ADS was usually ahead of the pack. He starts the season well, looks dominant, then comes midlands. He fades late against Glory and eventually lost to Sebass.

What do you suppose happened to him from the start of the season to Midlands? Fast forward to NCAA’s and Spencer says that he’s about 60% after the final in his interview. We know now that he tore his ACL in that finals match. During the post finals interview Bull asked him if he was the baddest man on the planet. The correct answer was yes, he is, but that’s not the answer Spencer gave, because that’s not who he is.

Spencer took a few losses that year, and he does not take them well. His physical issues that year have been discussed in some detail on this here board. You can choose to believe what you want. I don’t know what you’re looking for.

Last edited:
Scuddy… I don’t mean to be rude, but why would they weigh in at different weight classes? I don’t think that’s even a thing.

And btw, Spencer would smesh RBY.
I was only suggesting that if it were a case of an in season dual that required him to stick to his competition weight. Ideally this would be a catch weight or special weigh in rules event at the all star classic (rest in peace) or something similar.

ADVERTISEMENT