ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer will be the most memorable IA QB in the modern area.

exiled in IL

All-Conference
Jan 3, 2009
Petras is going to be remembered long after he leaves Iowa. His time here is going to stick with him for years after he leaves Iowa City. Not in a good way. I feel bad about that. Kirk just keeps doubling down and rolling the kid out there. Spence isn’t good, but he has LOTS of help being bad. Starting with BF and followed very closely by a bad O Line. Someone asked if he was coming back for his Covid year. I can’t imagine and for obvious reasons, I hope not. However, if he did it would show HUGE balls and be a big F you to a lot of us on this board…. Which we probably deserve. 🤔. Sigh….

Jake Christensen can finally get off the hook at least. I do feel kind of bad for him though, he should have been replaced halfway through last season when it became very clear that he wasn't going to get any better than where he was. At least last year they were still able to win games, but they don't even have that excuse this year.

lYM8u93.jpg

Petras is going to be remembered long after he leaves Iowa. His time here is going to stick with him for years after he leaves Iowa City. Not in a good way. I feel bad about that. Kirk just keeps doubling down and rolling the kid out there. Spence isn’t good, but he has LOTS of help being bad. Starting with BF and followed very closely by a bad O Line. Someone asked if he was coming back for his Covid year. I can’t imagine and for obvious reasons, I hope not. However, if he did it would show HUGE balls and be a big F you to a lot of us on this board…. Which we probably deserve. 🤔. Sigh….
He should transfer to an FCS school who has a good oline returning. He would probabaly do ok….but he has been awful here these last two years..

In a way it's also sad how BF's legacy will down in Iowa lore as well. I have zero bad feels for him because he's choosing to work the family business, getting huge paychecks for basically sucking at his job, etc. It's just sad to me when former hawk players go down a path that tarnishes their legacy as it relates to Iowa football

But it is safe to say SP also doesn’t have pocket awareness and understanding of how bad his OL truly is… he hangs on to the ball way longer than he should some times.
This ^^ He is a complete statue, he drops back and just stands there and holds the ball. I would bet half of the sacks could be avoided if he was able to simply step up in the pocket and move around just a little. I've never seen a more immobile player in football than Petras.

This ^^ He is a complete statue, he drops back and just stands there and holds the ball. I would bet half of the sacks could be avoided if he was able to simply step up in the pocket and move around just a little. I've never seen a more immobile player in football than Petras.
Totally agree. Just the fact that padillas feet aren't cinder blocks and he might be able to evade rush is why it's insane to me Kirk hadn't at least tried him

Last edited:
Except half the time the free rusher is coming right up the middle in his face. If they could at least contain the middle he'd have some chance to step up, but thats not happening either consistently....

I agree, and the sad thing is that I’ve only heard about how great of a kid SP is. Never heard a bad word about him as a person, he works hard, tries his best, does everything asked of him and it’s unfortunate that his legacy will be leading possibly the worst offense in school history.
Division 1 history.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
That pick wasn't on Petras, as much as I would like to see a different QB. The left tackle got smoked. Tired of the O line issues.
Agreed, but the screen pass to the feet on what would have been a touchdown was. There are a lot of reasons Petras doesn't play well, however Petras also doesn't make the plays he HAS to make. If he made those plays then A) Iowa would probably only have 1 loss this season and B) it becomes much easier to look past Petras and get to the other myriad of issues on the offense.

Totally agree. Just the fact that pandillas feet aren't cinder blocks and he might be able to evade rush is why it's insane to me Kirk hadn't at least tried him

But SP is instructed to go down. Guess what happens when a qb tries to evade and move? Fumbles. SP is coached to just hold on to the ball so we can punt if needed.

I think he carries himself rather well at those press conferences. He doesn’t throw the oline under the bus and handles the questions exactly as you expect him to…has to show confidence and desire to improve…
Did you see what he was doing at the end of the rain delay game? He was pulling off the red caps off the back ups and putting it on looking right at the camera. I found that abit funny and not in a ha ha way.

Agreed, but the screen pass to the feet on what would have been a touchdown was. There are a lot of reasons Petras doesn't play well, however Petras also doesn't make the plays he HAS to make. If he made those plays then A) Iowa would probably only have 1 loss this season and B) it becomes much easier to look past Petras and get to the other myriad of issues on the offense.
Seen enough of these games that you really can’t expect a pass, that has hit the receiver/rb in his hands, will be caught. Yeah, his accuracy sucks but so does the ability of our backs to catch it and stumble over nothing ending up short of a sure score. On top of that countless procedure calls, holding, and a new wrinkle this week with unnecessary roughness AFTER the play that costs 15 yards. I’m always looking for a flag on any positive play anymore. I’m rarely disappointed.

They did try to find a new starter last season. Alex Padilla was worse, actually much worse, at everything. As I always say, that is setting a low bar and Padilla tripped over it and fell on his face.

Petras is without question the worst regular starting QB (e.g. not a temp placeholder for an injured starter) since Hayden arrived at Iowa. Buetjer might have become unplayable for other reason (e.g. shittiest character of any QB at Iowa since Hayden arrived) but he was a better player strictly on the field.

I'm longing for the days of Jake Christensen, Paul Burmeister, even that guy Matt Sherman beat out as true freshman.

Continuing to start Spencer is stubborn and cruel and dumb. He's got to be mentally and emotionally defeated. No one could fail that often, that badly and suffer fan and crowd abuse-he's regularly getting booed.

Now it's starting to cause divisions in the team. I heard and posted last summer that the younger offensive players were gravitating toward Labas and he was kind of a leader for the younger guys. Since we know Petras sucks, and, when last seen Padilla sucks even more than Petras, what is lost by at least showing the fans, players and future recruits that there is some longer-term promise of a better player.

Petras was improving and made some nice throws yesterday. But he also missed some easy throws and didn't recognize some open receivers. Paralyzed too many times.

Except half the time the free rusher is coming right up the middle in his face. If they could at least contain the middle he'd have some chance to step up, but thats not happening either consistently....

A lot of that is on Petras himself. He can’t recognize a blitz for anything. Last night, on top of that, Illinois was timing his cadence like clockwork. It was clear as day being at the game, the commentators even mentioned when I rewatched after.

I’m not trying to stick up for the OL by any means, but there isn’t an OL in the country that’s going to block a blitzing LB’er that has your cadence down. ILL was in the backfield before Spence even controlled the snap at least twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT