ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer will be the most memorable IA QB in the modern area.

They did try to find a new starter last season. Alex Padilla was worse, actually much worse, at everything. As I always say, that is setting a low bar and Padilla tripped over it and fell on his face.

Petras is without question the worst regular starting QB (e.g. not a temp placeholder for an injured starter) since Hayden arrived at Iowa. Buetjer might have become unplayable for other reason (e.g. shittiest character of any QB at Iowa since Hayden arrived) but he was a better player strictly on the field.

I'm longing for the days of Jake Christensen, Paul Burmeister, even that guy Matt Sherman beat out as true freshman.

Continuing to start Spencer is stubborn and cruel and dumb. He's got to be mentally and emotionally defeated. No one could fail that often, that badly and suffer fan and crowd abuse-he's regularly getting booed.

Now it's starting to cause divisions in the team. I heard and posted last summer that the younger offensive players were gravitating toward Labas and he was kind of a leader for the younger guys. Since we know Petras sucks, and, when last seen Padilla sucks even more than Petras, what is lost by at least showing the fans, players and future recruits that there is some longer-term promise of a better player.

Petras was improving and made some nice throws yesterday. But he also missed some easy throws and didn't recognize some open receivers. Paralyzed too many times.

If 3-0 is “much worse” than 3-7, please sign me up.

Tripped over the bar while not losing a game. That’s a new one.

But it is safe to say SP also doesn’t have pocket awareness and understanding of how bad his OL truly is… he hangs on to the ball way longer than he should some times.
SP is the least athletic player on the field. Anyone who has some athletic ability recognizes those that don’t. Slow, uncoordinated and scared are not good attributes for the leader of your team. Playing a one dimensional QB gives the defense an advantage. With a dual threat QB, it’s Like playing 12 against 11 and we all know 12 men on the field is a penalty. A dual threat quarterback is like having a running back who also can catch the ball

A lot of that is on Petras himself. He can’t recognize a blitz for anything. Last night, on top of that, Illinois was timing his cadence like clockwork. It was clear as day being at the game, the commentators even mentioned when I rewatched after.

I’m not trying to stick up for the OL by any means, but there isn’t an OL in the country that’s going to block a blitzing LB’er that has your cadence down. ILL was in the backfield before Spence even controlled the snap at least twice.
Thats true. I was reffereing to the first 6 games in general...

But SP is instructed to go down. Guess what happens when a qb tries to evade and move? Fumbles. SP is coached to just hold on to the ball so we can punt if needed.
Yeah, just another example of of the Ferentz broken, loser philosophy on O. Especially the one of recruiting non athlete, statuesque pro style qbs. The Bears just rallied and almost won a game they had no business being in and a big reason was Fields' ability to improvise and run for first downs when the pocket broke down.... which happens a lot with their similarly garbage oline.

There is no way to spin that what Kirk and son do on O just doesn't work and the way their offensive players fail to execute is a product of their shit coaching. The death knell in bears game was idiot ISM getting ball stripped when he should have instinctively gone out of bounds. Damaged goods ferentz disciple

Reactions: mikesright
lYM8u93.jpg
That’s****ed . I don’t like him as QB, but even I have some limits, I’d like to hit the dude that made that, right in the nose

I'm not a fan of booing but I'm also not hyper sensitive to those that choose to boo poor play.

But anyone who boos Petras during Senior Day recognition deserves to be dragged from the stadium and beaten in the public square. Figuratively of course.
I think it will be a pretty quiet senior day. Not a lot of people there and hopefully people won’t boo, but it won’t be CJ Beathard / Stanzi send off.

But anyone who boos Petras during Senior Day recognition deserves to be dragged from the stadium and beaten in the public square. Figuratively of course.
If only you were figurative in your actions toward Mrs. Northern.

We know you’re literal and speaking from experience. Stop with the pretense.

If 3-0 is “much worse” than 3-7, please sign me up.

Tripped over the bar while not losing a game. That’s a new one.

Why is the concept of shared responsibility for success and failure so difficult for you to grasp? This is the same bullshit you were banging on about last week.

Winning is not really any metric of good QB play. Good QBs lose all the time because their line sucks, their defense sucks, need 30-35 completions a game cuz no running play, etc... So 3-0 is a pointless distraction that does not support the conclusion you draw.

So let's start with factual reality. You are one of those "defense gets credit" for every win. Let's look at those "3-0" starts.

Minnesota

11-24 206 2 TDs (the only 2 Padilla threw all season). The 45.2 completion rate was awful but he did throw TDs. One of the TDs was an overthrown ball that Johnson caught at the top of his jump, broke a tackle and added about 20 yards to the end zone. The other was a nice throw to a wide-open Jones 15 yards behind the defense. Both good plays. Completion percent was bad

Illinois

6-17 (that's .353, for real 35%) and an interception. No TDs, of course 'cuz Alex's only TDs were in 1 game-Minnesota. Quarterback rating was 15. This is one of the games that was literally actually won by the defense but somehow you change your conclusion when it's not convenient to a conflicting conclusion you need elsewhere. That is a pretty silly argument if you ask me.

Nebraska

Now this is a good one. You count the win in your "3-0" silliness standard, but Alex's play was so bad against the Bug Eaters he got benched at half time. Petras came in and not only led a come from behind win, but actually scored the winning TD. Now, I've seen 14-year-old first semester debaters not construct such a vacuous fallacy infused argument. Seriously, post the syllogism through which you concluded the Nebraska win should be credited to the guy that got benched at half time with a QB rating of 19.7. At some point at least one line will read "magic thinking."

Before being replaced by Spencer Alex was 6-14 (.429) for all of 76 yards. But, notwithstanding Iowa trailed when Alex was benched and replaced by the guy that led the comeback and scored the winning TD himself, you give him credit for the win instead of the guy that replaced him, led the come from behind win and scored the winning TD himself. I'd type it again, but I think everyone already recognizes your conclusion is simply stupid x stupid cubed.

So much for the "3-0" semi snark.

The fallacy of your thinking is employing reductionism in solving a math problem. Reductionism doesn't work when all the factors are enumerated. Indeed, it really is useful as anything but the first step in analyzing complex structures. Guessing both reductionism and complex structure analysis are probably new to you or you wouldn't have used it.​

Why is the concept of shared responsibility for success and failure so difficult for you to grasp? This is the same bullshit you were banging on about last week.

Winning is not really any metric of good QB play. Good QBs lose all the time because their line sucks, their defense sucks, need 30-35 completions a game cuz no running play, etc... So 3-0 is a pointless distraction that does not support the conclusion you draw.

So let's start with factual reality. You are one of those "defense gets credit" for every win. Let's look at those "3-0" starts.

Minnesota

11-24 206 2 TDs (the only 2 Padilla threw all season). The 45.2 completion rate was awful but he did throw TDs. One of the TDs was an overthrown ball that Johnson caught at the top of his jump, broke a tackle and added about 20 yards to the end zone. The other was a nice throw to a wide-open Jones 15 yards behind the defense. Both good plays. Completion percent was bad

Illinois

6-17 (that's .353, for real 35%) and an interception. No TDs, of course 'cuz Alex's only TDs were in 1 game-Minnesota. Quarterback rating was 15. This is one of the games that was literally actually won by the defense but somehow you change your conclusion when it's not convenient to a conflicting conclusion you need elsewhere. That is a pretty silly argument if you ask me.

Nebraska

Now this is a good one. You count the win in your "3-0" silliness standard, but Alex's play was so bad against the Bug Eaters he got benched at half time. Petras came in and not only led a come from behind win, but actually scored the winning TD. Now, I've seen 14-year-old first semester debaters not construct such a vacuous fallacy infused argument. Seriously, post the syllogism through which you concluded the Nebraska win should be credited to the guy that got benched at half time with a QB rating of 19.7. At some point at least one line will read "magic thinking."

Before being replaced by Spencer Alex was 6-14 (.429) for all of 76 yards. But, notwithstanding Iowa trailed when Alex was benched and replaced by the guy that led the comeback and scored the winning TD himself, you give him credit for the win instead of the guy that replaced him, led the come from behind win and scored the winning TD himself. I'd type it again, but I think everyone already recognizes your conclusion is simply stupid x stupid cubed.

So much for the "3-0" semi snark.

The fallacy of your thinking is employing reductionism in solving a math problem. Reductionism doesn't work when all the factors are enumerated. Indeed, it really is useful as anything but the first step in analyzing complex structures. Guessing both reductionism and complex structure analysis are probably new to you or you wouldn't have used it.​

Actually I was giving Northwestern to Padilla and Nebraska to the team. One scoring drive of 6 rushing plays and a blocked punt return for a TD were the difference. Besides that, it was two FGs each and an overturned TD for Padilla.

I like how you act like Johnson had to high point the football. It was a slight crow hop as he was breaking in to make his move on a screen. Johnson made an unbelievable play to turn it into six points, no question about that. We’ve seen Spence’s screen pass attempts the last two weeks and you honestly believe his are better?

Now, I ask you, do Petras games right before that. Again, keep in mind that we’re comparing a guy with 16 career starts to a guy making his first three.

PSU: 17-31 for 195 2 TD / 1 INT. Sacked 3 times

Purdue: 17-32 for 195 0 TD / 4 INT. Sacked 4 times

Wisconsin: 9-19 for 93 0 TD / 0 INT - sacked 5 times, fumbled on the Iowa 7 yard line and threw the ball 15 rows into the stands on 4th down.

You are delusional if you think Padilla has been worse than this. Somehow you think Padilla was sacked more than Petras. Or have you moved away from that after being proven wrong about the sacks and INTs?

In a way it's also sad how BF's legacy will down in Iowa lore as well. I have zero bad feels for him because he's choosing to work the family business, getting huge paychecks for basically sucking at his job, etc. It's just sad to me when former hawk players go down a path that tarnishes their legacy as it relates to Iowa football
EXACTLY! Well said

In a way it's also sad how BF's legacy will down in Iowa lore as well. I have zero bad feels for him because he's choosing to work the family business, getting huge paychecks for basically sucking at his job, etc. It's just sad to me when former hawk players go down a path that tarnishes their legacy as it relates to Iowa football
It’s not Brian’s fault he is a terrible OC. It’s Kirk’s fault for putting (and keeping) him there.

I can’t remember much about the 2004 line. But I’ll always remember Drew Tate dancing/spinning out of trouble and hitting Solomon for like a 50 yard pass to win the big ten against Wisconsin. We could use that right now.

At this point, I’d settle for dancing/spinning out of trouble and simply throwing the ball away. 😢

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
SP is the least athletic player on the field. Anyone who has some athletic ability recognizes those that don’t. Slow, uncoordinated and scared are not good attributes for the leader of your team. Playing a one dimensional QB gives the defense an advantage. With a dual threat QB, it’s Like playing 12 against 11 and we all know 12 men on the field is a penalty. A dual threat quarterback is like having a running back who also can catch the ball
Particularly if that one dimension is average at best. You’d need Tom Brady or Drew Brees level accuracy to be competent with his lack of mobility/escapability.

I really don’t understand why they won’t at least try Labas. His confidence wouldn’t be shot even if he does nothing because that’s what we’ve got so far. The season is completely lost whether the staff wants to believe that or not. Do you really think the seniors are going to feel better about being f5-7 vs 3-9?

It’s not Spencer’s fault he is a terrible QB. It’s Kirk/Brian’s fault for continuing to throw him out there.

He is going to be booed on Senior Day, which is unfortunate.
I think this would be a good opportunity for everyone who has booed certain plays or when he goes in or out of the game and say they are booing the coaches, not Spencer, to put their money where their mouth is. As you said above, it really isn't his fault. He has taken a beating physically behind a sub-par line and has taken a beating mentally by continually being placed in a position by the coaches where he will almost certainly fail. Yet he continues to stand in front of the microphone to answer questions and has been a good representative for the University. I think he has truly done his best for the team and that should always be appreciated, even if the results are poor.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Petras is going to be remembered long after he leaves Iowa. His time here is going to stick with him for years after he leaves Iowa City. Not in a good way. I feel bad about that. Kirk just keeps doubling down and rolling the kid out there. Spence isn’t good, but he has LOTS of help being bad. Starting with BF and followed very closely by a bad O Line. Someone asked if he was coming back for his Covid year. I can’t imagine and for obvious reasons, I hope not. However, if he did it would show HUGE balls and be a big F you to a lot of us on this board…. Which we probably deserve. 🤔. Sigh….

Actually I was giving Northwestern to Padilla and Nebraska to the team. One scoring drive of 6 rushing plays and a blocked punt return for a TD were the difference. Besides that, it was two FGs each and an overturned TD for Padilla.

This is that line you filled with "magic thinking". You just create theories around fact bytes. Ever heard the expression "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts..." That is all you are doing, all of which is just your attribution of whatever facts you think justify the conclusion you need at the moment.

The team wins or loses. Every win or loss features differing qualities of play by different players and units. Avoiding the nature of reality doesn't change the nature, it just says you are not yet equipped and thus unable to deal with a reality not of your own making.​

Petras should not be the qb, that's been clear for some time. He certainly shouldn't be taking all the snaps in game.
Those things are on KF, though, not him. It would be completely classless to boo SP on Senior Day. I'm going to hope that the vast majority of those who show up that day can respect him and the moment and act accordingly.

This is that line you filled with "magic thinking". You just create theories around fact bytes. Ever heard the expression "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts..." That is all you are doing, all of which is just your attribution of whatever facts you think justify the conclusion you need at the moment.

The team wins or loses. Every win or loss features differing qualities of play by different players and units. Avoiding the nature of reality doesn't change the nature, it just says you are not yet equipped and thus unable to deal with a reality not of your own making.​

For laughs let’s look at three games this year and compare them to Padilla’s numbers.

SDSU (FCS): 11-25 for 109 yards 0 TDs / 1 INT

Iowa State: 12-26 for 92 yards 0 TDs / 1 INT

Illinois: 18-36 for 169 yards 0 TDs / 1 INT

No, you’re right, Petras’ numbers after his 24th start are much better than the numbers that you supplied for Padilla after his third start. 🙄

Petras is going to be remembered long after he leaves Iowa. His time here is going to stick with him for years after he leaves Iowa City. Not in a good way. I feel bad about that. Kirk just keeps doubling down and rolling the kid out there. Spence isn’t good, but he has LOTS of help being bad. Starting with BF and followed very closely by a bad O Line. Someone asked if he was coming back for his Covid year. I can’t imagine and for obvious reasons, I hope not. However, if he did it would show HUGE balls and be a big F you to a lot of us on this board…. Which we probably deserve. 🤔. Sigh….
Did you say "modern era"? LOL. I remember back in aught 9...............................

For laughs let’s look at three games this year and compare them to Padilla’s numbers.

SDSU (FCS): 11-25 for 109 yards 0 TDs / 1 INT

Iowa State: 12-26 for 92 yards 0 TDs / 1 INT

Illinois: 18-36 for 169 yards 0 TDs / 1 INT

No, you’re right, Petras’ numbers after his 24th start are much better than the numbers that you supplied for Padilla after his third start. 🙄
Well, I'm glad you tacked back a little closer to reality and you're off the W/L metric.

Now you are cherry picking the three worst games to compare to the Padilla debacle last season. Why not use the best three Petras games this season? Oh, I think I know. It's because in the three wins Petras played better than Padilla at any time last season. With the single +1 interception this season he still has a better numbers than Padilla had last year. For example, Petras is at like .540 completion on the season. That is still much better than .490. That

I'm not saying Petras is good, I'm saying they both played last year and Padilla was significantly worse, not just worse but significantly worse, in every category of QB play. So, to be better now, Padilla would require tremendous improvement just to get to Petras' caliber of play and then more improvement yet to be better than Petras. Given the very fundamental defects in Padilla's QB skills I doubt that improvement has been made. He even throws a shitty ball in warm up.

Have you actually taken a serious look at how horrible Padilla's season was last year? Five of the seven games ended with Alex's QBR below 20! Padilla played two games over .500 all season. One was the NW off the bench-where he did look good and gave us all some hope, quickly dashed. The other was the garbage time 4th quarter against Michigan; 10-15, true but for only 38 yards and with an interception, while playing against mostly Michigan reserves. Alex was 1-7 against the Maryland reserves. Look at the numbers, man. You know why the expression "you are what your numbers say you are" has become a cliche? Because, like all cliches, it is almost always true.

Me, I'm way way over the Petras/Padilla gruesome twosome. They both suck. Petras has a slightly higher upside because he throws a better ball, more catchable and is still substantially better than Padilla at his best. Harder to intercept, except of course when a DL runs freely into the backfield because an OT missed a block (or someone missed a block) and pulled Petras backward just as he threw the ball. I doubt you are going to ever be happy if you've got some emotional attachment to Padilla.

The OL problems are an ugly story for a different day.​

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad you tacked back a little closer to reality and you're off the W/L metric.

Now you are cherry picking the three worst games to compare to the Padilla debacle last season. Why not use the best three Petras games this season? I mean, after two. I'm not saying Petras is good, I'm saying they both played last year and Padilla was significantly worse, not just worse but significantly worse, in every category of QB play. So, to be better now, Padilla would require tremendous improvement just to get to Petras' caliber of play and then more improvement yet to be better than Petras. Given the very fundamental defects in Padilla's QB skills I doubt that improvement has been made. He even throws a shitty ball in warm up.

Have you actually taken a serious look at how horrible Padilla's season was last year? Five of the seven games ended with Alex's QBR below 20! Padilla played two games over .500 all season. One was the NW off the bench-where he did look good and gave us all some hope. The other was the garbage time 4th quarter against Michigan; 10-15, true but for only 38 yards and with an interception. That was against a lot of reserves on the other side as well. Look at the numbers,

Me, I'm way way over the Petras/Padilla gruesome twosome. They both suck. Petras has a slightly higher upside because he throws a better ball, more catchable and is still substantially better than Padilla at his best. Harder to intercept, except of course when a DL runs freely into the backfield because an OT missed a block (or someone missed a block) and pulled Petras backward just as he threw the ball.

The OL problems are an ugly story for a different day.​

Cherry picked his 19th, 20th, and 24th career start and three of his last six games.

You seem like you’re over it.

Cherry picked his 19th, 20th, and 24th career start and three of his last six games.

You seem like you’re over it.
Well you are sufficiently honest to admit you intentionally left out the other three games, the games that are all better than Padilla in his best games, actually Alex hasn't had three good games so I'd guess we'd pick NW, (good) Minnesota (OK) and Michigan (garbage time and still closer to a shitty game than just a bad game).

And yes, cherry picking is specifically including data out of sequence that supports whatever point you are trying to make while specifically excluding data out of sequence that defeats your point, whatever point that your are trying to make about Padilla.

What difference does the number starts make? Padilla has already shown himself to be almost entirely unplayable. You want to see some more another even worse QB playing?

See the picture in something larger than a postage stamp perspective.

I think this would be a good opportunity for everyone who has booed certain plays or when he goes in or out of the game and say they are booing the coaches, not Spencer, to put their money where their mouth is. As you said above, it really isn't his fault. He has taken a beating physically behind a sub-par line and has taken a beating mentally by continually being placed in a position by the coaches where he will almost certainly fail. Yet he continues to stand in front of the microphone to answer questions and has been a good representative for the University. I think he has truly done his best for the team and that should always be appreciated, even if the results are poor.
I mean, that’s admirable but if he’s not a D1 QB he shouldn’t be playing. We’ve heard all about how great of a guy he is all the time. I don’t think a lot of us care at this point. If you’ve been one of the worst QBs in all of football the past few years and then are the worst this year, we need to move on.

Lol that so many of you are weighing in on the original post when the original poster has not even defined “modern era”.

ADVERTISEMENT