ADVERTISEMENT

Sports card Hobbyists—#thehobby

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
Who else is getting into the hobby? Values on all cards are going bonkers right now. People are treating it like the stock market which makes it super fun imo.

I have been doing card breaks on IG and FB and man are they addicting. I scored a 1/1 Andre Johnson Auto the other day❤️ and I also bought a TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant auto /10 for $70 2 weeks ago #investment

Any good hits lately or buy any sweet cards?

Is it values on all cards, or is it just the values on these "special"/one off cards that are really high? I follow a local card dealer on FB and he's posting high prices for these cards that are being sold, but they all seem to be really specialized/unique cards, and not the ones that you're going to pull out of a pack you buy at Target or wherever. Has it become really high-end like that, where you have to go through card dealers to get those kinds of cards/packs?

Is it values on all cards, or is it just the values on these "special"/one off cards that are really high? I follow a local card dealer on FB and he's posting high prices for these cards that are being sold, but they all seem to be really specialized/unique cards, and not the ones that you're going to pull out of a pack you buy at Target or wherever. Has it become really high-end like that, where you have to go through card dealers to get those kinds of cards/packs?
The base cards are going for stupid amounts as well. A graded Luka rookie prizm is going for like 1k. I sold a 2nd year raw base Luka prizm for $40 the other day. Avg rookie base cards are going for $10-$30 dependent on the rookie and the product. It is the Wild West out there right now and it’s awesome haha.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Just managed to score 100 Nibbly the Bunny Beanie Babies in the Quad Cities. I pretty much bought out all of the local stock. Waiting for the prices to shoot up because of the rarity in the area. They cost 5 per but looking to make 100k ez.

Last edited:
Who else is getting into the hobby? Values on all cards are going bonkers right now. People are treating it like the stock market which makes it super fun imo.

I have been doing card breaks on IG and FB and man are they addicting. I scored a 1/1 Andre Johnson Auto the other day❤ and I also bought a TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant auto /10 for $70 2 weeks ago #investment

Any good hits lately or buy any sweet cards?
Where do you buy/sell?

The base cards are going for stupid amounts as well. A graded Luka rookie prizm is going for like 1k. I sold a 2nd year raw base Luka prizm for $40 the other day. Avg rookie base cards are going for $10-$30 dependent on the rookie and the product. It is the Wild West out there right now and it’s awesome haha.
How much do packs cost for some of these cards?

I’ve been collecting random Auto’s, baseball, photo, bats, cards etc. bought a Nolan Ryan auto photo of his 7th No-Hitter. Thinking about get a mini helmet of Tristan Wirfs signed Iowa helmet. And a bunch of other things.

How much do packs cost for some of these cards?
It’s dependent on the sport and product. NBA is the top dog in the card market then the NFL. If you go to a retail store you won’t find one pack now a days haha. Lowest price packs online I’ve seen for NBA/NFL is around $25 unless you want complete shitter cards you can always pay for a shitter pack

Facebook, IG, card shop websites that you get from IG/FB and Ebay mainly. FB and IG doesn’t have fees like eBay but Ebay has the highest, by far, audience of card buyers.

Fanatics and Amazon.

Im looking into also getting Bill Mazeroski's game 7 Walk-off home Photo, thinking of getting a Wander Franco Futures game ball (number 1 prospect in baseball).

Used to collect. Have a scottie pippen rookie card that should be in mint condition. Bunch of old Jordan. Pretty much quit right after Kobe started. (I do have a few of his rookies)

But yeah, used to be really into it. Mainly basketball. Insert card hunting.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It’s dependent on the sport and product. NBA is the top dog in the card market then the NFL. If you go to a retail store you won’t find one pack now a days haha. Lowest price packs online I’ve seen for NBA/NFL is around $25 unless you want complete shitter cards you can always pay for a shitter pack

wut. For even a pack of Topps or Upper Deck or Fleer or whatever? I haven't looked in years. Did they just stop producing so many?

Used to collect. Have a scottie pippen rookie card that should be in mint condition. Bunch of old Jordan. Pretty much quit right after Kobe started. (I do have a few of his rookies)

But yeah, used to be really into it. Mainly basketball. Insert card hunting.

Do you have pics of the cards or the card #s of those? I bet they are an ungodly amount right now, especially Kobe

wut. For even a pack of Topps or Upper Deck or Fleer or whatever? I haven't looked in years. Did they just stop producing so many?
Yah the card business went to shit because they were over producing and now everyone is insert and serial # searching and shit, even people are buying up base cards to get them graded and flip them for an outrageous amount. The top card company now is called Panini

Do you have pics of the cards or the card #s of those? I bet they are an ungodly amount right now, especially Kobe

They're packed away... somewhere. Parents or my place. I'll have to look. I mean, most of my Jordans weren't rare cards at the time. A few inserts. But I have probably 3 dozen Jordans or so.

Have a Larry Bird autographed dream team card.

I used to be big into inserts though. Topps Chrome... refractors... that sort of thing.

My 11 year old is really into it. His collection is insane considering he has only been collecting for 1 year. We go to the Rookie in Urbandale once a week. He buys packs for $20-$40 depending on what's hot. He always seems to get an Auto card (Hit) in every pack and he loves it. He records himself opening each pack and takes really good care of them.

He's also sent out a ton of cards to pro players. Got a few back including George Kittle, Eli Manning. He has quite a few $200 + cards he got from packs that have a game worn jersey and autograph. It's fun to see how excited he gets. I told him he should buy new cases when they come out and save them for a few years but he just can't hold onto them.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
My 11 year old is really into it. His collection is insane considering he has only been collecting for 1 year. We go to the Rookie in Urbandale once a week. He buys packs for $20-$40 depending on what's hot. He always seems to get an Auto card (Hit) in every pack and he loves it. He records himself opening each pack and takes really good care of them.

He's also sent out a ton of cards to pro players. Got a few back including George Kittle, Eli Manning. He has quite a few $200 + cards he got from packs that have a game worn jersey and autograph. It's fun to see how excited he gets. I told him he should buy new cases when they come out and save them for a few years but he just can't hold onto them.

I was in there about a week ago, I am going to be going back there soon, maybe this weekend. They have a lot of everything. Almost bought Dexter photo with Michael C Hall’s auto.

They're packed away... somewhere. Parents or my place. I'll have to look. I mean, most of my Jordans weren't rare cards at the time. A few inserts. But I have probably 3 dozen Jordans or so.

Have a Larry Bird autographed dream team card.

I used to be big into inserts though. Topps Chrome... refractors... that sort of thing.
That Magic Johnson documentary will be coming out soon so that Larry Bird card should see a nice bump.

Those Jordan’s are probably worth a lot more then you think Right now haha.

Oh yah, your kid is setting himself up for some nice $$$. The card breaks on FB and IG are huge right now and addicting lol. But if you get a hit, oh boy is it exciting.

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE

I have some Kobe rookies so I looked up some prices. Something weird is going on with pricing. On eBay you can see what has sold and for how much. Those prices all seem normal. However, seems the internet is also crawling with over priced cards right now which aren't selling.

Found some of them in a closet, but have many more.

95-96 Fleet Metal Jordan, #13
90 Fleet All Star Michael Jordan, 5 of 13
SkyBox E-Motion Jordan (#45), #100
Skybox No Boundries (insert) Ervin Johnson, 4 of 10
97 Antoine Walker Bowmens Best BBP7

Ill try to list more later

Found some of them in a closet, but have many more.

95-96 Fleet Metal Jordan, #13
90 Fleet All Star Michael Jordan, 5 of 13
SkyBox E-Motion Jordan (#45), #100
Skybox No Boundries (insert) Ervin Johnson, 4 of 10
97 Antoine Walker Bowmens Best BBP7

Ill try to list more later
That e motion Jordan sold for $183 graded 3 months ago

I sold my football cards very cheap when I needed money as a poor college student. I spent a lot of time buying them back about a decade ago, on ebay. I have quite a few good ones now. Old cards.

I started buying some of the Topps Project cards on the recommendation of someone here. Then they annoyed the shit out of me by making a zillion different versions.

What’s my PSA 9 ‘86 Fleer Jordan and my PSA 8 ‘84 Star Jordan worth nowadays? Planning on retiring off those so hopefully they’ve jumped in value!

Growing up in the 80s, my brothers and neighborhood buddies and I used to ride our bikes to Quik Trip almost every day in the summer. Wax packs of Fleer and Topps were 15 cards for 30 cents. We would then stop at the park and trade each other for our favorites. I know....CSB, but those were the good ol days and I have very fond memories.

Growing up in the 80s, my brothers and neighborhood buddies and I used to ride our bikes to Quik Trip almost every day in the summer. Wax packs of Fleer and Topps were 15 cards for 30 cents. We would then stop at the park and trade each other for our favorites. I know....CSB, but those were the good ol days and I have very fond memories.
Same here. Loved ripping open packs and trying to get your whole team. I didn't even watch baseball but I was a Met's fan because of the cards and value of some of the players. Trading away Ryne Sandberg cards at a premium in my neighborhood.

Reactions: Irwin Fletcher10
I loved collecting back in the late 80s. I remember buying a box and every pack felt like a Christmas present hoping a key card was in there. I would save up enough to buy a pack of 89 Upper Deck and fly through the pack looking for that Griffey rookie. Never did get one.

Brother had a Mcgwire rookie that was in great shape. Told him to sell at its peak and he refused. Kicking himself now.

My dad never was really into sports but was pretty sure he had a Mantle card growing up. I tore my grandma's basement apart looking for that card and never found it.

I've got a complete set of 1986 Topps I'd part with if someone was interested. And a very-close-to-complete 1992 Score Pinnacle set. Only missing a handful of cards, all commons, with many doubles for trades.

My son was a total fanatic in the 90's in junior high and high school. Did shows before the Internet took over. He made himself some very decent money.

I've got a complete set of 1986 Topps I'd part with if someone was interested. And a very-close-to-complete 1992 Score Pinnacle set. Only missing a handful of cards, all commons, with many doubles for trades.
Bball? If not, little value

Geez I remember going to the crookie and dreaming of plopping like $40 on an 86 fleer pack lol.

I remember, towards the end of my days, the "autographics" coming out lol. Now autos seem to be in every pack.

I have a crap ton of 1986-1991 Fleer and Topps baseball cards. The most valuable used to be rookie Will Clark, Bo Jackson, Wally Joyner and the naughty Bill Ripken cards. Have the prices rebounded on those?

Geez I remember going to the crookie and dreaming of plopping like $40 on an 86 fleer pack lol.

I remember, towards the end of my days, the "autographics" coming out lol. Now autos seem to be in every pack.
In my experience you have to get a hobby box to get great hits and autos compared to those retail boxes or packs

ADVERTISEMENT