Sports Illustrated: Epenesa will go #6 in 2020 NFL Draft; Jackson & Wirfs Possible Top 10 Picks

Discussion in 'Iowa Football' started by Franisdaman, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM.

1. Franisdaman

Franisdaman HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

NFL Mock Draft 2020: An Extremely Early Look at the Possible Top 10 Picks

By ALBERT BREER
    July 09, 2019

This draft order is based on reverse Super Bowl odds (via Bet Online, and we broke ties by giving the team with the worse 2018 record the higher pick).

1. Miami Dolphins (+12500): Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
    The more NFL people I talk to about Herbert, the more smitten the league seems with him. Physically, his combination of size, arm strength and athleticism is rare. At this point, the big question is how the Eugene native will adapt to leaving his hometown. Some teams will like Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa more. But Herbert seems very worthy of the first pick and might’ve been the first quarterback taken in 2018 (if he’d come out, and a team not led by Kliff Kingsbury had the first pick.)

2. Cincinnati Bengals (+10000): Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
    Size might be the only drawback here. But at Bama’s junior Pro Day, he came in between 6' and 6' 1" and at 230 pounds, meaning he has enough height, and plenty of bulk. And as a quarterback, he’s refined and advanced, with top-shelf accuracy and field vision, a good ability to change speeds on his ball, and fantastic feel for the game. His health will be watched closely by NFL teams in the fall, after the end of last season was marred by injuries.

3. Washington Redskins (+10000): Chase Young, DE, Ohio State
    Last year, the Redskins took a DC-area native that became a Buckeye. Next year, they get another one. Young’s a freakish talent who was earmarked as a future top-five pick from the minute he stepped on to campus in Columbus, and carried the burden of making up for the loss of Nick Bosa on the team’s defensive line last fall. Will he be the best player in next year’s draft? That’s debatabl, but it’s hard to find a guy with a higher athletic ceiling.

4. Arizona Cardinals (+8000): Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
    Word is, Brown returned to school because he wanted to be a top-five draft pick. If he’d left last year, there’s a pretty decent chance he would’ve gone in the Top 15 – a lot of folks regarded him as a better DT prospect than Christian Wilkins, who went 13th overall to Miami. Brown’s a monster with potential to be a very disruptive interior presence in the NFL.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6600): Grant Delpit, S, LSU
    Possible that the Tigers have a better safety prospect than Jamal Adams on their hands in 2019? Yes, it is. Delpit still has to prove he’s got the dog in him than Adams does, and he’s not quite the hitter Adams is yet either, but he’s bigger and a better athlete. And he can cover out of the slot, making him exactly what NFL teams are looking for at the position in 2019 (and presumably ’20).

6. Detroit Lions (+6600): A.J. Epenesa, DE, Iowa
    The Big Ten’s sack leader returns as, along with Young, the most fearsome defender in the conference. Because of how Kirk Ferentz runs his program, Epenesa had to wait his turn to start—in 2018, he made first-team all-conference while backing up senior Parker Hesse (who went undrafted and has been moved to tight end by the Titans since). There are a few questions about how Epenesa will play the run in the pros, after splitting time last year. But his tools are off the charts. And so I have the Lions dipping into the Hawkeye well for a second straight year.

7. Buffalo Bills (+6600): Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
    Some teams pressed pause on receiver needs in 2019, with the expectation of a bumper crop coming at the position in 2020. I have the Bills drafting the first player from this position, getting Josh Allen a guy with potential to grow into a true No. 1 receiver. Jeudy played for Buffalo OC Brian Daboll as a true freshman in 2018, before breaking out with a 1,315-yard, 14-touchdown season last fall. So the Bills would probably have a good idea what they’d be getting.

8. New York Jets (+5000): Jeffery Okudah, CB, Ohio State
    Okudah’s been up-and-down, but finished his sophomore season strong, and has shown his toughness and competitiveness on special teams throughout his time in Columbus. He has the talent to go this high. I’m betting here on ex-Niners secondary coach Jeff Hafley (now the Buckeyes DC) to help him put it all together, and sneak past LSU’s Kristian Fulton and Alabama’s Trevon Diggs to be the first corner taken.

9. New York Giants (+5000): Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado
    This may be a little bit of a projection – but this 6-foot-2, 225-pounder has the potential to be a real No. 1 in the NFL. In just nine games last year, he had, 1011 receiving yards and 6 touchdown catches, and 115 yards and five touchdowns on the ground (as a wildcat quarterback). He’ll have to stay healthy (a shoulder problem cost him five games last year) and continue to evolve, but he’s a big, sudden athlete with a very high ceiling. The big on-field question, at this point, is how fast he’ll run in February. With a good time, he could be a worthy successor to Odell Beckham as the Giants’ next No. 1 here.

10. Denver Broncos (+5000): Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama
    Davis probably would’ve been a first-round pick if he’d declared last year, but he has some growing up to do—teams have already raised the character question here. But at 6' 7" and 300 pounds, he’s an elite run defender with the athleticism to become more of a factor in the passing game, with a little work on his pad level. As it stands, he’s a good bet to make it four straight years with an interior d-lineman from Bama in the first round (joining Jonathan Allen, Da’Ron Payne and Quinnen Williams). The question will be how much higher he can rise, which will be largely dictated by his improvement as a rusher.

JUST MISSED THE LIST:

Walker Little, OT, Stanford: Between Little, Georgia’s Andrew Thomas and Iowa tackles Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs, it feels like there’ll be a tackle somewhere in the top 10. It’s just hard to tell which one, at this point.

LINK to Full Story: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/09/nfl-mock-draft-2020-justin-herbert-tua-tagovailoa

1 Franisdaman, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 4:31 AM
  2. grayhair81

grayhair81 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

Downside to that is he ends up in the graveyard of the NFL (and the country, ftm).

K OKeefe and scotthawk1964 like this.
  3. Franisdaman

Franisdaman HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

4. LarryMullenJr.

LarryMullenJr. HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

5. grayhair81

grayhair81 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

6. luvmyhawks

luvmyhawks HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

We better be winning some games this year with 3 potential first round picks.

biggreydogs and Franisdaman like this.
  7. NevadaHawk

NevadaHawk HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

Mock drafts this early are rarely correct. I think AJE goes in the top 5.

8. hoffmkr

hoffmkr HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

If Iowa gets 3 first round picks, you can mark Stanley down as 1st rounder as well. Only way BOTH OT go 1st round is if OL is dominating, giving plenty of time. With a clean jersey and strong running game, Stanley will have all day to make the proper throw.

9. KuwaitHawk

KuwaitHawk HR Legend
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Getting 3 Top 10 picks, hell, 3 first round picks will get lots of attention.

Franisdaman and BirdistheWord like this.
  10. BirdistheWord

BirdistheWord HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

similar to what is happening in Cleveland, I do think Detroit is starting to dig out of the ditch to at least be decent.

ffjoey44 likes this.
  11. Hawk_4shur

Hawk_4shur HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

I really hate these things. It usually goes something like this ...

1. Declare a player to be one of the all-time greats.

2. Player ends up being "only great". Receives criticism

12. kceasthawk

kceasthawk HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

True, but as KF has said before, some guys the lady at the local grocery could pick out as top players. AJE is just that obvious a talent. This season we'll have the pleasure of watching his experience catch up with his ridiculous natural talent. I'd say Wirfs pretty much the same, maybe just slightly less but close. Two superior athletes who have stayed within themselves and learned their lessons as Hawks. It should be fun to watch this season unfold....

Hawk_4shur likes this.
  13. Hock-I

Hock-I HR All-State
    Expand Collapse

This is actually what scares me to death with our program - 3 first rounders and 7-8 win season.

14. Franisdaman

Franisdaman HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

i hope the coaches bring out the nasty in all 3 of them;

Wirfs, Jackson, & AJ should all dominate & cause all kinds of problems for the opposition on the line of scrimmage.

Key word: Should.

15. Gridiron24

Gridiron24 HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

de-toilet?

Hopefully he makes it long enough in the League to get a second contract & get out of that sh*thole.

grayhair81 and Franisdaman like this.
  16. pocha444444

pocha444444 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

Funny write-up. Even outsiders are baffled at AJ not starting.

Franisdaman likes this.
  17. mazda1

mazda1 HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

I will be very surprised if either Jackson or Wirfs go in the first round unless they run block significantly better this season.

18. EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Expand Collapse

Sigh....I really don't know how to stress this enough to kill this hype train, so I'll just flat out say it:

Wirfs and Jackson should NOT go pro this year. Deal with it.

ffjoey44 likes this.
  19. Rifler

Rifler HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

Anyone familiar with our coaching staff wouldn't be baffled at all....

20. iahawkeyes17

iahawkeyes17 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

I agree. The Detroit Lions are the Iowa St of the NFL.

21. ffjoey44

ffjoey44 All-Conference
    Expand Collapse

Words and Jackson have the talent but not there yet

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset likes this.
  22. FranklinHawk

FranklinHawk HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

Well, we really don't know that until this next season plays out.

23. pocha444444

Expand Collapse

Certainly not surprised, but definitely baffled. The additional info about Hesse going undrafted and switching to TE makes that pretty obvious.

24. IowaNiceHawk

IowaNiceHawk HR Heisman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, that's nice publicity, I guess but considering the SI is the WORST at predicting and nothing they say every pans out.........

Meh

25. kceasthawk

Expand Collapse

Right because Parker Hesse didn't earn his playing time right? Did it really hurt AJE's production last year, or was he fresh and well rested when he played? Did it become an issue in the locker room? We will find out this season if we miss the luxury of not being forced to play AJE too many snaps last year. The funny thing about this ongoing discussion about his lack of playing time last year, is the only people you hear bitching are some of the fans. Not a problem with the team. Didn't seem like a problem with AJE and certainly was not an issue with his family, if you read some of the comments from his dad, himself a former hawk. Baffeling.......:rolleyes:

wanderer85 and Robster Raws like this.
  26. pocha444444

Expand Collapse

Gotta love the whole "earning playing time" argument. Whatever that means. Is Epenesa better than Hesse, yes or no? That is the question. This is big boy football, sometimes people's feeling have to get hurt. Not everyone can play.

27. kceasthawk

Expand Collapse

Hesse was a very productive college player, and I don't give a hoot what he does in the NFL, it has nothing to do with the discussion. So the entire staff, coaches like KF, PP, Morgan, Bell, you know the professionals, they thought that AJE needed to learn his craft, especially how to more consistently play the run. His own father, a former player, publicly said he had a lot to learn and he was being used correctly. But you know better, correct? There's more to being a top level DE then just pinning your ears back and chasing the QB. Iowa has some of the best defensive coaches in the game over the last 20 years. I think I'll let them decide who should be playing.....:confused:

28. pocha444444

Expand Collapse

Sure, you do that. I'll let the NFL, big ten media and coaches agree to disagree (by a wide wide margin mind you). I'll take a few missed run assignments a game if it means I get top ten talent in the game that has a chance to make a game changing play on any given snap. You should to, especially considering how Iowa is notorious for playing in close games. TFL and turnovers are much more important than setting the edge 75% of the time vs. 80% of the time, or whatever the supposed drop off would be from Hesse to Epenesa (if any).

Also, obviously Epenesa and his dad are going to say the right things. They are a classy family. And Iowa rarely lets anything gets out of the program, nor is every really challenged by the local media.

29. David1979

David1979 HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

If Wirfs and Jackson are first round picks this year that would likely mean that Iowa's OL was really freaking good and in turn Iowa had a really good year. They have a little ways to go before they are top ten picks.

29 David1979, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    kceasthawk likes this.
  30. kceasthawk

Expand Collapse

We'll just agree to disagree. The media in the BIG like most of the national talking heads say things to stir up controversy, so they can get rating and sell publications. I take anything the media says with a very large grain of salt. Yes, without question AJE is an athletic freak, certainly a level ahead of Hesse or Nelson. Just think that the usage of the DL last season was as good as its been in many years. The 8 man rotation kept players rested and relatively healthy. AJ was a first team all BIG selection without starting a game. We'll never know if he would have been more or less productive on a play by play basis had he played 25% more but hopefully we can give him some rest this year, so he's not gassed late in games like what we saw in Clayborn's senior season...

David1979 likes this.
  31. pocha444444

Expand Collapse

Fair enough. I'm not a Hesse hater for the record, it was a good situation to be in. I just wanted AJ to be on the field closer to 75-80% of the time. The depth this year could potentially be an issue as you mention. We'll see, hopefully others can step up.

kceasthawk likes this.
  32. kceasthawk

Expand Collapse

One last thought. For the young man personally, how could this have worked out any better? We were able to let him grow into the position as a total player without undo pressure. He has gotten more national acclaim precisely because he led the conference in sacks and tackles for loss without starting, then he would have received if he was. He has been projected as a junior to be, to be taken as a top ten player in the draft, at a coveted position in the league, and he has never started a game. How often does that happen? His whole career is in front of him. He knows that he has a target on his back, and what awaits him this season. To this point he has said and done all the right things to prepare himself. It should be fun to watch.....