ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game tidbits

I was actually talking more about the two TDs he threw and another he ran in. That and ZERO actual INTs. I suppose we could play this ‘what if’ game all day long I’m sure.

You describe the Illinois game as abhorrent. How would you describe the Purdue and Wisconsin games?

It is all a moot point, but mainly because KF is going to play who he wants. I believe that is the player that the coaches think gives them the best chance to win. KF and his staff are right way more than they’re wrong, but they do get it wrong sometimes.
Not here though. Again, if Padilla had continued with his improvement from the Minny game, he'd be the starter, but he actively got worse, so here we are.

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that the quarterback play and, more importantly, the offense as a whole has to get better next season. I don't care who is behind center as long as Iowa wins. This petty arguing about which QB is better is beyond stupid. All 3 qbs should be able to run the offense next year but if the line and receivers don't block, there won't be a decent running game (again!) and the offense will suffer. If Iowa can run the ball, it'll go a LONG way toward helping whoever is behind center.

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that the quarterback play and, more importantly, the offense as a whole has to get better next season. I don't care who is behind center as long as Iowa wins. This petty arguing about which QB is better is beyond stupid. All 3 qbs should be able to run the offense next year but if the line and receivers don't block, there won't be a decent running game (again!) and the offense will suffer. If Iowa can run the ball, it'll go a LONG way toward helping whoever is behind center.

I don’t think there’s any possible way I could agree more with a statement. It was awful, I’ll admit out loud it gets harder every year sometimes to watch them, because when they’re offense is off holy smokes is it off!

but we’re all in this together and quite frankly the same old story line with a player or a coach as a target gets so tiresome!

we get it the quarterbacks sucked, let’s just hope one of them can figure it out and we don’t sacrifice anything on our units that are already kicking ass!

Padilla 3-0 — 2 TDs / 1 INT
Petras 1-2 — 2 TDs / 3 INTs

2021, Padilla beat the 2nd place team (Minnesota) to help Iowa win the West. Petras’ abysmal numbers vs the other two 2nd place teams (Purdue and Wisconsin) didn’t help.

2020, Petras lost two Northwestern, which was the difference in 1st and 2nd place in the West.
What starts are you counting. Petras was 6-0 to start the season. Alex was 23/55 as a starter, that's a completion rate of .418. Alex completed only 6 passes in two of his starts. Alex's play was between poor and terrible after that nice relief game against Northwestern. We know his throwing motion is all ****ed up.

Didn't see it with my own eyes today but almost everyone I heard from, both on this board and the guys I talked to on their way back to DSM said Spencer, while not great by any means, was significantly better than Alex. Indeed, the common opinion is Joe has jumped Alex after this, his first full spring with Iowa.

He was pulled. He was definitely injured, but even then he started the game. When it became clear he wasn't up to snuff, they yanked him for Padilla, and gave him 3.5 games of run as the #1.

That was pretty clear considering Padilla started at Nebby even when Petras was healthy again.

Not what the coach said.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
You mean other than the two picks he nearly threw, or the sub 50% completion percentage?

And that's moot anyways, because yet again, he got worse as time went on. He followed up the Minny game with an abhorrent performance against Illinois, and was as a result pulled against Nebraska.

And Petras stunk it up in the second half at Nebraska, in the B1G championship, and the bowl game, including the pick on the last drive that epitomizes his body of work.

Actively got worse like Petras’ last four starts where he played at least a half?

Purdue 7-24
Wisconsin 7-27
Michigan 3-42
Kentucky 17-20
Now you're conflating totally different things.

We're talking about QB performance here. And each of those still weren't as bad as Padilla's Illinois and Nebby performances.
And Petras stunk it up in the second half at Nebraska, in the B1G championship, and the bowl game, including the pick on the last drive that epitomizes his body of work.
Cool. Point out where I said Petras was good.

That's your problem, you're so worked up over shit that you have zero control over, you automatically assume that criticisms of Padilla equate to support of Petras.

nah, plenty morons here can only see 10 wins and think we have a "10 win offense" unfortunately.....

Everything is dependent on each other. It's hard to block or establish the run game with a passing game nobody fears at all.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
nah, plenty morons here can only see 10 wins and think we have a "10 win offense" unfortunately.....

Everything is dependent on each other. It's hard to block or establish the run game with a passing game nobody fears at all.

Total bastardization of actual reality but playing devils advocate; if this team won 10+ games for five or six years?! Yeah I’d be pretty stoked with that, no matter how they did it.

That would put them in some pretty high-end company historically. 10-plus wins in a power five conference that many years in a row? Yeah that’d be awesome that would continue to up our teams exposure and profile….

Now for what it’s worth; I generally believe that we have the kind of talent that we should win 9 to 10 games every year so I’m not saying it’s pie in the sky but it’s a still a big deal

The conventional wisdom is that you have to establish the run before you can pass, not the opposite, unless you have 4-5 star talent at receiver. Iowa is built that way and has had much success over the past 20+ years with it, the last 2 years being outliers for the most part.

Well from what we read recently from Dolph, Petras was clearly the better quarterback…

lots of confirmation bias in these fan bases.
There is video. Petras was #3. Blair did a 2 minute breakdown of every one of his/all qbs throws. He makes about 5 completions of more than 5 yards and 2 of them he would have been killed by a DE in a real game. He then proceeded to rocket one through the endzone with guy wide open and throw one into row 5 on an out pattern. Vintage SP.

There is video. Petras was #3. Blair did a 2 minute breakdown of every one of his/all qbs throws. He makes about 5 completions of more than 5 yards and 2 of them he would have been killed by a DE in a real game. He then proceeded to rocket one through the endzone with guy wide open and throw one into row 5 on an out pattern. Vintage SP.

Okie Doke…. Incidentally in that same video I saw Padilla and LaBas both complete nice throws in which they had really gotten crushed by a D end….

Just sayin’…. Spring scrimmages are odd really about all you can really see is the physicality of the lines & the general athleticism of the D in particular!

Just mr 13cents….

The conventional wisdom is that you have to establish the run before you can pass, not the opposite, unless you have 4-5 star talent at receiver. Iowa is built that way and has had much success over the past 20+ years with it, the last 2 years being outliers for the most part.
And its a lot harder to establish that run game when your opponent comes in with little respect towards your passing game. We don't need 5star receivers to avoid that.

Okie Doke…. Incidentally in that same video I saw Padilla and LaBas both complete nice throws in which they had really gotten crushed by a D end….

Just sayin’…. Spring scrimmages are odd really about all you can really see is the physicality of the lines & the general athleticism of the D in particular!

Just mr 13cents….

I’ll reply to this & add, when you have a D first structure & lets be honest they have recruited defensive players very well for many years, 7+ probably… and we are better stocked to reload there! And it’s pretty much been proven!

Then we have a real mess at the Qb position, & the line finding its way without its best players playing!

I think you might be able to tell if we have decent receivers even if they’re not getting the ball. I think you can see if we have decent TEs and if we have at least “something “at running back!g

Last edited:
Use your experience old man, you know as well as I that KF has spoke exclusively in coach-speak for 2 decades.

So you are implying KF was being disingenuous when he said they had to pull Petras because he "couldn't go?". Be careful-you will find yourself not in good standing within the family circle.

So you are implying KF was being disingenuous when he said they had to pull Petras because he "couldn't go?". Be careful-you will find yourself not in good standing within the family circle.
Yes? Lol, do I need to spell it out for you?

KF doesn't like to throw guys under the bus. If Spencer was really that hurt they would have seen it in warmups and yanked him before the game started.

It's cute that you think I'm some mouth piece for the coaches when I have many posts criticizing BF from this very season lol.

Defense looks very good. Secondary is pretty loaded. Would have been nice to see the 3 LB's out there. Lot of players out. Waggoner looks confident. X looks the part. Dejaun seemed comfortable out there. Not much depth at RB out there today.
Jack Johnson looked pretty solid at WR. Llewellyn has good size and seems to be active. Allen looks the part at DE, long arms

Hope for the best at QB, but, not sure how anyone could have been there today and thought Petras looked better, good, or improved. Looked the same, had a few deep balls that the WR had separation and not close to completing them. Moss did a corner blitz and was not close to Petras yet and Bruce was open, Petras panicked and threw a terrible pass incomplete. Just doesn't seem to have good footwork or the ability to be patient in the pocket. Not sure that can be coached. Maybe it will be better this fall

Yes? Lol, do I need to spell it out for you?

KF doesn't like to throw guys under the bus. If Spencer was really that hurt they would have seen it in warmups and yanked him before the game started.

It's cute that you think I'm some mouth piece for the coaches when I have many posts criticizing BF from this very season lol.

Can you share one?

Defense looks very good. Secondary is pretty loaded. Would have been nice to see the 3 LB's out there. Lot of players out. Waggoner looks confident. X looks the part. Dejaun seemed comfortable out there. Not much depth at RB out there today.
Jack Johnson looked pretty solid at WR. Llewellyn has good size and seems to be active. Allen looks the part at DE, long arms

Hope for the best at QB, but, not sure how anyone could have been there today and thought Petras looked better, good, or improved. Looked the same, had a few deep balls that the WR had separation and not close to completing them. Moss did a corner blitz and was not close to Petras yet and Bruce was open, Petras panicked and threw a terrible pass incomplete. Just doesn't seem to have good footwork or the ability to be patient in the pocket. Not sure that can be coached. Maybe it will be better this fall
I think he just needs a full spring camp...

Reactions: herkyihawks
He was pulled. He was definitely injured, but even then he started the game. When it became clear he wasn't up to snuff, they yanked him for Padilla, and gave him 3.5 games of run as the #1.

That was pretty clear considering Padilla started at Nebby even when Petras was healthy again.
He was pulled because he was hurt and not performing well and didn't play again til Nebraska because of the injury. Which backs up the post that Kirk doesn't pull the starting qb unless he's hurt. You have to go back a long time to find when Kirk pulled the qb when an injury wasn't a factor. He never pulled Rudock in 14 when we were pissing away games while a better qb was sitting on the bench and it took the threat of transfer after the season to do the right thing. So Rudock wasn't pulled, it was an off season change in depth chart. If Spencer starts the season he will have to be hurt again to not see the field.

You have to go back 14 years IIRC to stanzi/christensensen when the starter was pulled and backup was given a real shot during the season, to say "it has been disproven many times" is just delusional

You made a claim. Burden of proof is on you. I honestly don't remember you ever criticizing anything any Ferentz has said or done.
Lol bullshit, you're either too lazy or too much of a pussy to do the work.

This isn't writing a dissertation, this is clicking a link and reading.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT