ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game tidbits

Spencer was 7/13 102 yds. No TDs and no Ints, QBed the come from behind win.

If that stinks, how would you describe Alex's 6/14 74 yards, no TDs no Ints in the starting role?
Lmao, neither QB had ANYTHING to do with us winning that game. Or most games for that matter...

Btw if your trash smells less than mine...it's still trash ;)

Iowa's defensive line is stout, anyone making any type of statement about the O-line needs to look at what they are up against. Waggoner looked good, Van Ness (my gawd). Getting back to a power running game with the backs Iowa has is going to help. The secondary is well, incredible with depth and talent. If Iowa can field an offense in the top half of the NCAA it is going to be a special season. Really need to find a Plumb replacement though.
The D is gonna be great, but so are a lot of defenses we face...

The D is gonna be great, but so are a lot of defenses we face...
I find it highly doubtful that they face more than 2 defenses tougher than Iowa's. With that said just look at the returning starters for BIG opponents. I'm not going to discuss the QB situation as it's beating a dead horse.

Rutgers: 5
Michigan: 3
Illinois: 6
Ohio State: 7
Northwestern: 5
Wisconsin: 3
Minnesota: 7
Nebraska: 5
Purdue: 9

I would have liked to have seen more clips of the 1s' line play yesterday, but Van Ness and Colby will both be stars in the upcoming years and they will only make each other better going against each other in practice, and Jones is so much quicker off the ball than the other centers.

Iowa's defensive line is stout, anyone making any type of statement about the O-line needs to look at what they are up against. Waggoner looked good, Van Ness (my gawd). Getting back to a power running game with the backs Iowa has is going to help. The secondary is well, incredible with depth and talent. If Iowa can field an offense in the top half of the NCAA it is going to be a special season. Really need to find a Plumb replacement though.
I’m pretty geeked up about the potential of the younger guys who will be fresh/soph on both lines. Think our DL depth is going to be very solid next few years. Also DL always seems like that group is where we have guys who elevate their plays as SRs. Like lattimore, brinks, reiff, Ekaite, meier, m Nelson, golston etc. I’m hoping for same with Shannon and Waggoner.

I find it highly doubtful that they face more than 2 defenses tougher than Iowa's. With that said just look at the returning starters for BIG opponents. I'm not going to discuss the QB situation as it's beating a dead horse.

Rutgers: 5
Michigan: 3
Illinois: 6
Ohio State: 7
Northwestern: 5
Wisconsin: 3
Minnesota: 7
Nebraska: 5
Purdue: 9
We will face some good and some really good d. You also have to remember facing our d while the QB has his cute red jersey on is nothing compared to facing an opponent. We've heard many times Petras is good while wearing red.

I have never stated Padilla was sensational in any facet. The "come from behind" was accomplished by the defense and special teams. SP handed the ball off every play on the go-ahead drive. And YOU are the guy who is constantly spooging over a guy who has yet to throw a pass in a competitive situation at the college level.

Again, you rendered an opinion and I just responded with a fact-based disagreement. The facts look bad for you. You again ignore the facts and rely on mythical opinions about handing off every play, obviously untrue. Maybe Petras got the team into those running plays? The relevant fact is Alex played a terrible first half, just like his terrible play at Illinois and his poor play against Minnesota.

I am fired up about Labas. In part is my optimistic nature but it's mostly based on what I have seen and heard. I'm hardly the only poster excited by Joe. After yesterday we know conclusively that Joe is faster and a superior ball carrier to either Spencer or Alex. It's just a spring practice but he extended plays with his feet, frequently. When was the last time an Iowa QB did that-and completed the pass at the end of an extended play.

Again, you rendered an opinion and I just responded with a fact-based disagreement. The facts look bad for you. You again ignore the facts and rely on mythical opinions about handing off every play, obviously untrue. Maybe Petras got the team into those running plays? The relevant fact is Alex played a terrible first half, just like his terrible play at Illinois and his poor play against Minnesota.

I am fired up about Labas. In part is my optimistic nature but it's mostly based on what I have seen and heard. I'm hardly the only poster excited by Joe. After yesterday we know conclusively that Joe is faster and a superior ball carrier to either Spencer or Alex. It's just a spring practice but he extended plays with his feet, frequently. When was the last time an Iowa QB did that-and completed the pass at the end of an extended play.

It is a FACT that they ran the ball every play of that drive. You are the one that seems to have difficulty distinguishing fact from opinion.

Lmao, neither QB had ANYTHING to do with us winning that game. Or most games for that matter...

Btw if your trash smells less than mine...it's still trash ;)

Well of course the QBs have everything to do with winning every game. The QB is the one guy that can make so many mistakes it kills you. Now, I concede that the QBs made enough mistakes to kill us in the losses.

Last season the coaches had a decision to make on QB with unfortunately no good option. In your analogy, Spencer would be like a landfill within smelling distance and Alex would be like a landfill and hog confinement in within smelling distance.

Last edited:
It is a FACT that they ran the ball every play of that drive. You are the one that seems to have difficulty distinguishing fact from opinion.
You know for a fact that a run play was called for every play? If you do I will defer to you going forward.

You know for a fact that a run play was called for every play? If you do I will defer to you going forward.

I didn't say that. But after watching the replay, there wasn't a single play where SP checked off so I will go with every play was a run from the sideline unless the Ferentzes let him call his own plays that drive.

I didn't say that. But after watching the replay, there wasn't a single play where SP checked off so I will go with every play was a run from the sideline unless the Ferentzes let him call his own plays that drive.
Throwing this out for thought. Not all checks are QB1 standing up, yelling the check and running a stretch into the boundary. There are less noticeable ways as well.

Reactions: sober_teacher
“there wasn't a single play where SP checked off so I will go with every play was a run from the sideline”
Perhaps that you are forming assumptions on things that are unknown.

And whether it was a called play or an audible, they still ran the ball every play on the drive which was and is my point.

Reactions: iahawks10
Jaylen Williams, in the center, is a 2025 kid.

Same high school as Jacob Bostick (2nd from the right).

The guy on the far left? Does he have any eligibility left?

FRILousXIAI0It5

FRILoudX0AAFRty

So for those saying the offense is complex and difficult and takes our QB's 1+yrs to understand, how can the Center (the 2nd most difficult position to the QB) say the following : "“It just feels little more natural to me than defense,” said Jones. “It just comes along a little quicker than the defense did when I first got here.”

Oh and SP looked no better than last year. As well, how can it be an "open" competition when 1 guy gets all the snaps with the 1's? KF, you even said Iowa fans are smart, we can see through your smoke curtain as well.

So for those saying the offense is complex and difficult and takes our QB's 1+yrs to understand, how can the Center (the 2nd most difficult position to the QB) say the following : "“It just feels little more natural to me than defense,” said Jones. “It just comes along a little quicker than the defense did when I first got here.”

Oh and SP looked no better than last year. As well, how can it be an "open" competition when 1 guy gets all the snaps with the 1's? KF, you even said Iowa fans are smart, we can see through your smoke curtain as well.
Lol, each QB threw like 10 passes Saturday, if that.

Do you honestly think they don't rotate guys with different units in practice?

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
Lol, each QB threw like 10 passes Saturday, if that.

Do you honestly think they don't rotate guys with different units in practice?
Oh I know they do that in practice, but why only give 1 guy reps with the 1's in the scrimmage? As well, SP was no better in this scrimmage then he was all of last year.

So AP states that John B is helping BF with the QB's then why the hell did they not just hire him as QB coach?

2;35 mark is where AP states John is "more of a QB guy".

So AP states that John B is helping BF with the QB's then why the hell did they not just hire him as QB coach?

Great Hawkeye. Love his insight, attitude and ability to articulate changes and competition. Hope the very best for him either on or off the field!

Jon Budmayr was a QB and QB coach. Of course he would be more of a "QB guy". And getting him on the staff is a major coup. Your trying to paint it as something else is laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT