ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game tidbits

FRCpsZJXMAEzdCl

I’ve seen some tweets saying Padilla and Labas had a good drive. Anything out there saying Petras had some good drives?

I’ve seen some tweets saying Padilla and Labas had a good drive. Anything out there saying Petras had some good drives?
He had a couple good throws early that WRs couldn't hold onto, and a good strike to LaPorta.

Like I said in the other thread though, we saw so little with so many guys out today that any info gleaned from this practice is likely worthless.

Sorry to hear that about Petras missing easy throws.. Hopefully he was just having an off day. But….it’s just one practice. You can’t really take much away from it.

I admit to being critical of him in the past, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed. I am assuming he will be the starter come fall. I want him to lead the Hawks to many victories!

Unfortunately he won’t have much margin for error with Hawk fans. Like it or not, fair or not….if he doesn’t show improvement over last season I’m afraid the fans will turn on him. He seems like a nice kid. I want him to do well.

Sorry to hear that about Petras missing easy throws.. Hopefully he was just having an off day. But….it’s just one practice. You can’t really take much away from it.

I admit to being critical of him in the past, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed. I am assuming he will be the starter come fall. I want him to lead the Hawks to many victories!

Unfortunately he won’t have much margin for error with Hawk fans. Like it or not, fair or not….if he doesn’t show improvement over last season I’m afraid the fans will turn on him. He seems like a nice kid. I want him to do well.
He’s been given every opportunity you could possibly give the kid including a starting job for 2 years. If he’s not a considerable distance in front of the other 2 QBs then they need to start investing into the future.

Will assume Tom will have something in the lounge which I'm no longer a member.
Anyone care to put a few tidbits in this forum would be appreciated.
I have to be at a track meet.
Thanks
I have some observations.

1. Any competition for starting QB was over before this practice. Petras was the only QB who seemed to have an open playbook and he led our offensive 1s and 2s against our defensive 1s and 2s. Most of the scrimmage was Labas and Padilla leading 2s and 3s against defensive 2s and 3s. So...
2. The QB competition is really between Labas and Padilla for backup QB. It was one practice, and it looked pretty close, but I'd probably pick Labas based on this one practice.
3. Because Petras went against our 1s and 2s, he didn't put up great stats (I think our defense is going to be top 10 in the country). But his throws were about where they needed to be and he looked more comfortable in the pocket than last year.
4. Our field goal kicking got downgraded from a concern to a Problem that needs to be fixed by fall. It looked really bad, imo.
5. The brand new defensive ends this year (Crawford and Allen) looked big and quick. Our defensive line is stacked for years to come, I think.
6. Our defensive line as a whole looks really damn good and deep.
7. I thought the 1s and 2s OL competed well. They still got beat a fair amount, but I felt like that was DL excellence moreso than OL incompetence.
8. Higgins doesn't have a starting role this year unless someone is injured, but he will in 2023 and looks like he'll be good.
9. Griffin Liddle and Mike Myslinski were out of uniform on the sideline (as expected) but we're practicing snapping. IDK that I realized Liddle was a center candidate.
10. In the segments before the scrimmage, I was just watching the QBs warmup their arms and then throw route trees with the WRs. Petras had the strongest and most accurate arm by a good margin. I think Labas is next and I think there's a lot of separation between Labas and Padilla, too.
11. I thought I saw Labas doing what looked like some throwing elbow exercises on the sideline that made me wonder if he was practicing through a minor elbow tweak (tendonitis or something).
12. Tory Taylor is going to be ridiculous this year.
13. (Backup punter) Phelps isn't ready yet.
14. I thought the running backs looked good when they were able to move. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT