ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game tidbits

And Petras stunk it up in the second half at Nebraska, in the B1G championship, and the bowl game, including the pick on the last drive that epitomizes his body of work.
Spencer was 7/13 102 yds. No TDs and no Ints, QBed the come from behind win.

If that stinks, how would you describe Alex's 6/14 74 yards, no TDs no Ints in the starting role?

Well, this really stinks….everything I have heard and seen indicates SP is back for another round at QB1, and yet looks just about as horrendous as he did last year. If he’s the best we got this goose is cooked and it’s not even July yet.

Well, this really stinks….everything I have heard and seen indicates SP is back for another round at QB1, and yet looks just about as horrendous as he did last year. If he’s the best we got this goose is cooked and it’s not even July yet.
There's little arguing SP and his struggles, and no way of knowing if he'll make significant improvement. Still if he's even a little better and the OL makes some improvement why are you certain we can't win 9 or 10 games again this year? I'd hardly consider that "goose being cooked"....Sure the schedule is a little more daunting, but Iowa has shown over the years that there's no one we can't beat, and I don't see this year being any different....

I’ll add this, if last years Petra’s is our best…it will be a tedious year ?! “Last years”….not improved

I recall a lot more drops for Alex than sp. Alex made quicker decisions that weren’t always the first read. Those thing don’t show up in a 7-14 vs 6-13 argument.
I’ll take a guy that can pick up 1-2 extra first downs with his feet over the guy that panics in the pocket.

Yeah, intangibles matter but a guy throwing under .500 is almost unheard of in modern football. Threw two TDs against Minnesota but not in any other game, so even his 2 TDs were an anomaly.

Did Alex pick up 1-2 extra first downs with his feet? In his starting games he had -5 yards. Alex was only sacked four times in those games. So the numbers don't support a conclusion that Alex had any medium to long runs.
How many "big plays" it would take to overcome a sub .500 completion rate and only two 2 TDs in 8 games?

Reactions: F5n5 and Pawkhawk1
Spencer was 7/13 102 yds. No TDs and no Ints, QBed the come from behind win.

If that stinks, how would you describe Alex's 6/14 74 yards, no TDs no Ints in the starting role?

I have never stated Padilla was sensational in any facet. The "come from behind" was accomplished by the defense and special teams. SP handed the ball off every play on the go-ahead drive. And YOU are the guy who is constantly spooging over a guy who has yet to throw a pass in a competitive situation at the college level.

Labas, Padilla and Petras. Just one day but that was the order in terms of performance today. This knowing Labas was going against 2s and 3s. Oline did not impress today. 1st string defense swallowed up most of the offense. QBs would have taken some major hits in real game action. Labas much quicker. Threw well against his body rolling out.

Reactions: vamchawk
Sounds like repeat of last year. SP looked like a pro compared to every other QB on the roster. Much less effort, fluid throwing style, ball looked great out of hands, etc. the rest of the QBs it was tough to tell who was who or better as they all looked similar….and quite a bit of separation between QB1 and QB2-5 on the 👁 test.

Reactions: F5n5
Well from what we read recently from Dolph, Petras was clearly the better quarterback…

lots of confirmation bias in these fan bases.
Labas had a much better performance today. No question about that. What you can't tell with all certainly is how would SP looked like vs the 2s and 3s and Labas was going against the 1s. But he was quicker, better on rollouts, accurate, etc.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Man there’s a lot of stupid in this thread! Thanks to the few of you who actually provided info. The rest of you can STFU!
Yeah there is some interesting tidbits from people there. Seems to be trending toward it's going to be decided when games start, I get the feeling. I'm skeptical that there is much room for improvement from Petras given it's his 5th year. But happy to be proven wrong.
Some way, somehow, the offense has to be better this year. If Iowa is anemic throwing the ball again, then I suppose it's a combination of bad system and bad talent at QB.

Reactions: unclesammy
Yet another tallest midget discussion. Yawn.
I don't now. It sounds as if the coaches are giving Labas every chance to seize the opportunity. Listing him as co backup may seem like a small thing, but just the comments appear like their going to give him a real shot to make a run at this thing. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him listed #2 and to play in the first few games and see what he's got when games start. The fact that theres been so much talk about this, including by the coaches leads me to believe that this will play out on the field, and if he looks the part, he'll get a real shot.

Side note.....Tory Taylor...OMG. He is one guy I DON'T want on the field much but when he is, man that guy has a cannon. FG kickers....wind and poor snaps foiled some attempts BUT Drew Stevens has PLENTY of leg...Could be a great one over 4 years.

IMO - I think SP could be a very good QB with a better line and a decent running game. With the poor O line we had last year (and maybe this year), Spencer struggles as he doesn’t scramble well and doesn’t have the time/wits to go to his second and third options. On top of that, our receivers don’t have much time to get open. He generally has a strong, accurate arm when not pressured. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened much.

Although Petras may be “better” than Labas and Padilla, those two could potentially be better with a poor offensive line as they can scramble some and give the WRs more time to get open. Hard to tell, but they may see the field better than Petras as well.

Hopefully the offensive line can get better and put Petras in a position where he can be successful as I don’t see KF starting anybody but Petras.

Reactions: MonmouthHawk
My point was, We have to have better quarterback play from somebody on the roster then we had last year
Yes. The offense as a whole stunk at times, but mostly the QB and line play. Couple that with the best receivers being true freshmen and you have a formula for disaster, which we saw. I feel really bad for Goodson and Linderbaum, they both deserved to go out better.

IMO - I think SP could be a very good QB with a better line and a decent running game. With the poor O line we had last year (and maybe this year), Spencer struggles as he doesn’t scramble well and doesn’t have the time/wits to go to his second and third options. On top of that, our receivers don’t have much time to get open. He generally has a strong, accurate arm when not pressured. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened much.

Although Petras may be “better” than Labas and Padilla, those two could potentially be better with a poor offensive line as they can scramble some and give the WRs more time to get open. Hard to tell, but they may see the field better than Petras as well.

Hopefully the offensive line can get better and put Petras in a position where he can be successful as I don’t see KF starting anybody but Petras.
Petras is not a BIG qb but if your defense and special teams are outstanding you can steal games during the regular season but have no chance in championship games.

Petras could have an Alabama line and still suck. He is not a B1G qb, period. He had plenty of time to throw against Kentucky, and he still sucked. A lot of the offensive woes are because teams have absolutely nothing to fear with Petras so they stuff the shit out of the run, and count on him making bad throws, which he does.

Petras could have an Alabama line and still suck. He is not a B1G qb, period. He had plenty of time to throw against Kentucky, and he still sucked. A lot of the offensive woes are because teams have absolutely nothing to fear with Petras so they stuff the shit out of the run, and count on him making bad throws, which he does.

I love the not a Big 10 QBs, WR, Lber etc….quote from fans. It is always one of my favorites….

We have put multiple players in the NFL who weren’t Big 10 players or weren’t fast enough.

Riley McCaron wasn’t a Big 10 Wr and was to
slow until he ran a 4.37….😂

Bo Bower was way to slow for a Big 10 Lber until he ran a 4.57 which is a terrific Lber time…

Hell even Ben Niemann was often maligned and to slow to be in coverage. All he did was run a 4.58 & is still in the NFL largely for his ability on third down to blitz and cover LOL….

Jake Rudock wasn’t a Big 10 QB, honestly you can’t make this stupidity up.

I used to think we had some of the stupidest fans on the Internet but in reality we’re just more of the same

Last edited:
Since it was only one practice we don’t know if he has made any improvement. Actually we won’t really know for sure until the conference games. Plus, he was going up against the first string defense.
Hopefully our opponents will trot out their 2nd string D for Petras.

I love the not a Big 10 QBs, WR, Lber etc….quote from fans. It is always one of my favorites….

We have put multiple players in the NFL who weren’t Big 10 players or weren’t fast enough.

Riley McCaron wasn’t a Big 10 Wr and was to
slow until he ran a 4.37….😂

We all knew Riley was fast.
Perhaps that speed has earned him a spot on NFL practice squads.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Iowa's defensive line is stout, anyone making any type of statement about the O-line needs to look at what they are up against. Waggoner looked good, Van Ness (my gawd). Getting back to a power running game with the backs Iowa has is going to help. The secondary is well, incredible with depth and talent. If Iowa can field an offense in the top half of the NCAA it is going to be a special season. Really need to find a Plumb replacement though.

Iowa's defensive line is stout, anyone making any type of statement about the O-line needs to look at what they are up against. Waggoner looked good, Van Ness (my gawd). Getting back to a power running game with the backs Iowa has is going to help. The secondary is well, incredible with depth and talent. If Iowa can field an offense in the top half of the NCAA it is going to be a special season. Really need to find a Plumb replacement though.

This is true, but there were #1 and rotational D linemen not practicing yesterday. But anyone trying to take too much away from yesterday is making a lot of effort for an exercise in futility.

ADVERTISEMENT