ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game tidbits

And YOU are the guy who is constantly spooging over a guy who has yet to throw a pass in a competitive situation at the college level.

Please let me introduce you to some other people who you must think are "spooging" over Joe.

Go over to that and read page 8-after the spring "game."

So for those saying the offense is complex and difficult and takes our QB's 1+yrs to understand, how can the Center (the 2nd most difficult position to the QB) say the following : "“It just feels little more natural to me than defense,” said Jones. “It just comes along a little quicker than the defense did when I first got here.”

Oh and SP looked no better than last year. As well, how can it be an "open" competition when 1 guy gets all the snaps with the 1's? KF, you even said Iowa fans are smart, we can see through your smoke curtain as well.

Oh I know they do that in practice, but why only give 1 guy reps with the 1's in the scrimmage? As well, SP was no better in this scrimmage then he was all of last year.

Only 4 scholarship receivers were even dressed last Saturday.

This board really is the worst.

I just wanted to give the guy with screen name Aleister Crowley an AC/DC Big Balls helmet sticker for just that screen name.

One absolutely sure way to know you took too many shrooms and/or LSD is reading some Aleister Crowley and it suddenly seems not at all crazy and really some pretty good ideas for the future.

Last edited:
I didn't say that. But after watching the replay, there wasn't a single play where SP checked off so I will go with every play was a run from the sideline unless the Ferentzes let him call his own plays that drive.
You know you're winning an argument when your opponent focuses on a continuously shrinking part of a much larger picture. You are now down to a single drive in your discrediting Spencer and promoting Alex.

First, and most significantly, Spencer Petras actually scored the winning touchdown-on a running play. That in itself defeats your conclusion that Spencer did nothing on the final drive because we ran every play. Spencer made the biggest running play of the day.

Second, and this is statistical, which you've said you are willing to overlook for someone gaining 1 or 2 first down plays. Did Alex make those plays in the first half? I do not recall any such plays. Alex's rushing was two carries for -10. Nebraska had 1 sack and 1 TFL. Are you sure all that QB mobility wasn't really just in your mind? Alex left at half time, Iowa trailing by 8. Alex was 6/14 for 76 yards, a 42.8% YPA of 5.4% and a QB Rtg of 19.7. That's right 19.7

Then Alex entered the game for the second half. He threw 7/13 (one fewer attempt and one more completion) for 102 yards and a completion percentage 53.8. YPA 7.8 and a QB Rtg of 87.5. Not Tom Brady but much much better in every way, than Alex in that game.

The come from behind win began the moment Petras took the field, as we were down 8 when Petras started the second half. Every completion was part of the come from behind win, but you only want to focus on the final drive, which, as I've said, ended with Spencer scoring a rushing TD, and from 2 yards out so that's like 20 yards for the average QB. It might have been his second longest career run.

The really irony of your argument is Spencer's rushing was +6 and Alex's was -10, a 16 yard superiority over the purportedly better runner.

We have a few months, and Alex did make some nice throws Saturday although he still has the bad delivery form. However, I think the Padilla train has left the station and the Petras train is pouring on the coal before it too heads south.

Last edited:
I just wanted to give the guy with screen name Aleister Crowley an AC/DC Big Balls helmet sticker for just that screen name.

One absolutely sure way to know you took too many shrooms and/or LSD is reading some Aleister Crowley and it suddenly seems not at all crazy and really some pretty good ideas for the future.

Touché old friend. I honestly didn’t even know what to say when I saw that screen name. I was trying to understand the potential joke… Aleister Crowley was an odd odd odd dude, an occultist among other things and an inspiration to L Ron Hubbard in later years. Another odd dude!

Last edited:
You know you're winning an argument when your opponent focuses on a continuously shrinking part of a much larger picture. You are now down to a single drive in your discrediting Spencer and promoting Alex.

First, and most significantly, Spencer Petras actually scored the winning touchdown-on a running play. That in itself defeats your conclusion that Spencer did nothing on the final drive because we ran every play. Spencer made the biggest running play of the day.

Second, and this is statistical, which you've said you are willing to overlook for someone gaining 1 or 2 first down plays. Did Alex make those plays in the first half? I do not recall any such plays. Alex's rushing was two carries for -10. Nebraska had 1 sack and 1 TFL. Are you sure all that QB mobility wasn't really just in your mind? Alex left at half time, Iowa trailing by 8. Alex was 6/14 for 76 yards, a 42.8% YPA of 5.4% and a QB Rtg of 19.7. That's right 19.7

Then Alex entered the game for the second half. He threw 7/13 (one fewer attempt and one more completion) for 102 yards and a completion percentage 53.8. YPA 7.8 and a QB Rtg of 87.5. Not Tom Brady but much much better in every way, than Alex in that game.

The come from behind win began the moment Petras took the field, as we were down 8 when Petras started the second half. Every completion was part of the come from behind win, but you only want to focus on the final drive, which, as I've said, ended with Spencer scoring a rushing TD, and from 2 yards out so that's like 20 yards for the average QB. It might have been his second longest career run.

The really irony of your argument is Spencer's rushing was +6 and Alex's was -10, a 16 yard superiority over the purportedly better runner.

We have a few months, and Alex did make some nice throws Saturday although he still has the bad delivery form. However, I think the Padilla train has left the station and the Petras train is pouring on the coal before it too heads south.
Neither QB was that great at Nebraska. In defense of both they were battling the flu that week as was many others on the team. Honestly the difference was minimal one QB lead us on drives for 6 pts (2 fg) and other drive 13 pts (2 fg and 1 td). Padilla and Iowa got screwed on the 1 td. Yes not a great throw but even both announcers and replay official thought it was a TD as did other non biased fans and media members. Petras one td as stated already was all on the ground and credit to goodson and gavin for that along with the OL for great run blocking on the drive and big run. Basically my point was both QBs played and produced about the same that day. 2nd half difference was after 1 TD Phil's D locked them down last 20+ min and forced 2 turnovers one resulting in good field position and other sealing the W along with the huge safety. Then of course the gigantic punt block which changed the game. I think if flip flopped who played each half we still would have had same results. But need to pump the breaks giving Petras too much credit for game winning drive it's not like he was like stanzi slinging it vs MSU in 09' in the 2 min drill.

End of the day are 2 main options are sub par compared to the rest of the Big 10 and Power 5 and quite frankly. Minus 1 or 2 teams I doubt either Petras or Padilla would start for any other Big 10 team.

Reactions: iowaflash

And reps were obviously curtailed between that and all the other guys out with minor knocks. I don’t believe that was truly the final practice Kirk would have liked to run, especially with fans present. Difficult to determine anything from that practice.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT