ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Doubtful. KF doesn’t make it actual game but more of practice. Wouldn’t sell well on TV. Always possible but wouldn’t bet on it
You’d think b10 network would do more of a push to get everyone on tv for their spring game, even if only an abbreviated version of it, spend some time rehashing each teams spring ball, freshmen that arrived early, coaching changes, etc.

I only have the forecast through next Thursday but only a HIGH of 55 next Thursday and low of 38. So a 9:30 start time it will probably be around mid 40s. I went from beer to Bloody Mary's to Jamesons very quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreLaughingIowaFB
I only have the forecast through next Thursday but only a HIGH of 55 next Thursday and low of 38. So a 9:30 start time it will probably be around mid 40s. I went from beer to Bloody Mary's to Jamesons very quickly.
If it doesn’t warm up into the 70s I won’t be going. I would love to see them in action, but driving two hours for mid 50s and a pseudo practice/scrimmage.

Will your spring game be televised? Thanks
Fans love spring games, I always did when Hayden held them. But Kirk has pointed out in the past that in a spring game you have 22 players on the field. KF would rather have 100 players receiving coaching in what counts as one of only 15 spring practices.

I totally understand Coach Ferentz's reasoning, but I do miss the spring games.

Yeah, went to a couple of Hayden's Spring Games - could take the kids - it was a fun day.

My best memory was Tim Dwight fielding punts. I think the coaches told him to fair catch all of them and he could only return them if the hit the ground.

So, he let the punt bounce, picked it up and ran it back. The guy really loved football!

Fans love spring games, I always did when Hayden held them. But Kirk has pointed out in the past that in a spring game you have 22 players on the field. KF would rather have 100 players receiving coaching in what counts as one of only 15 spring practices.

Bigger reason for him was when Iowa got burned a couple times with major injuries in the spring games in the mid’00s and it hasn’t been the same since. For a guy whose entire coaching philosophy revolves around risk/reward, he has clearly chosen to limit the risk as much as possible.

If it doesn’t warm up into the 70s I won’t be going. I would love to see them in action, but driving two hours for mid 50s and a pseudo practice/scrimmage.
Give me a sunny day in the mid 50’s inside Kinnick over a sunny day in the upper 70’s everyday and twice on Saturday. I’d prefer low to mid 60’s if sunny though.

weather.com currently shows 65, partly cloudy but windy. Low of 44 night before.

Back in the Hayden spring game days people would smuggle pony kegs inside kinnick and 40 to 50K would be there sometimes.

Bigger reason for him was when Iowa got burned a couple times with major injuries in the spring games in the mid’00s and it hasn’t been the same since. For a guy whose entire coaching philosophy revolves around risk/reward, he has clearly chosen to limit the risk as much as possible.
Sorry, that's a lesser reason. Kirk was looking for a reason to get rid of the traditional spring game.

KF is a highly organized coach. If he's got 15 practices in the spring he's not going to waste one when his coaches could be teaching technique to more than 22 guys on the field.

Sorry, that's a lesser reason. Kirk was looking for a reason to get rid of the traditional spring game.

KF is a highly organized coach. If he's got 15 practices in the spring he's not going to waste one when his coaches could be teaching technique to more than 22 guys on the field.

I think had it not been for the injuries the spring would still exist in some format. I don’t totally disagree with his reasoning given the limited practice time he actually gets now. Just sucks for fans.

Ok...Vine not open that early but Mickeys for an Irish breakfast and a few red pints are going to be mighty tasty. Looks like it might be a bit windy and chilly at 9:30.....hence the need for the breakfast and red beers.

Ok...Vine not open that early but Mickeys for an Irish breakfast and a few red pints are going to be mighty tasty. Looks like it might be a bit windy and chilly at 9:30.....hence the need for the breakfast and red beers.
Going to Micky's and not having the Conglom with cheese fries is a Class D felony in Iowa City.

Back in the Hayden spring game days people would smuggle pony kegs inside kinnick and 40 to 50K would be there sometimes.
Sorry if already asked. Will a beer concession be open for the Spring Game?

Just wish it was at like 11 am. That’s an early start if you’re coming from DSM.
I do to as I am coming from WDSM. Meeting a buddy at Micky's for breakfast and adult beverages, hit the stadium then 30 hop for a beer afterwards before heading home.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
It’s been set at 9:45 for awhile now. No idea why he chose such an odd time, or couldn’t just do it at 11 am. Sucks for anyone who wants to come from DSM (me), but isn’t enthusiastic about getting up before 8 am to come.
Yeah that time is not fan friendly at all. A 9:45 start time is outrageous if you ask me, but I'm sure there's an explanation someone on here can offer.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yeah that time is not fan friendly at all. A 9:45 start time is outrageous if you ask me, but I'm sure there's an explanation someone on here can offer.
I've posted this before, but KF's spring practice schedule isn't intended to be fan friendly. It's supposed to be consistent with the other spring practices and what's best for the players. It is one of 15 practices, each one valuable to Coach Ferentz. This one the public gets to attend.

It is not scheduled for the convenience of fans. KF's priority is winning games in 2022. He is going to do everything he can, even in small ways, to make that happen.

On the plus side there are many good breakfast spots in Iowa City.

I've posted this before, but KF's spring practice schedule isn't intended to be fan friendly. It's supposed to be consistent with the other spring practices and what's best for the players. It is one of 15 practices, each one valuable to Coach Ferentz. This one the public gets to attend.

It is not scheduled for the convenience of fans. KF's priority is winning games in 2022. He is going to do everything he can, even in small ways, to make that happen.

On the plus side there are many good breakfast spots in Iowa City.
So maybe he should have had more 9:45 practices before Purdue. Listen I love KF but if you can’t have ONE spring practice that is for the fans then he really does not give a crap about the fans. We are not in the weeks leading up to the BTCG or the Rose Bowl. JC have one outing that panders to the fan base, the kids, etc. Effing tone deaf. Maybe he is afraid of what people will say/see about his QB coach. It’s effing April.

So maybe he should have had more 9:45 practices before Purdue. Listen I love KF but if you can’t have ONE spring practice that is for the fans then he really does not give a crap about the fans. We are not in the weeks leading up to the BTCG or the Rose Bowl. JC have one outing that panders to the fan base, the kids, etc. Effing tone deaf. Maybe he is afraid of what people will say/see about his QB coach. It’s effing April.
You realize they do have one in the fall right? What’s special about spring?

ADVERTISEMENT