ADVERTISEMENT

Spring it is..

It’s not possible to do it in the spring, you lose a third of your team to surgery every spring

Why? Weather? Football can be played in snow or at neutral sites further south if need be.

Obviously the most likely outcome is that there is no football in the spring- but there are plenty of ways to address things. Seasons and dates are not set in stone.

At this point its pretty obvious the BIG is not concerned at players safety on a cold field if they ignored them from the beginning

Honestly if I was any player who hadn’t used their red shirt I’d skip this spring meaningless exhibition “season”. 2 guys I’d be very interested in seeing if they would stay for 21’ are Brandon smith and ISM. Also if coaches are smart they’d red shirt every incoming freshman. Also do you risk getting Goodson banged up in the spring? Another guy who hasn’t red shirted.

As an OSU fan I could see 10 players that will skip the spring season and get ready for the NFL Draft. I would think underclassmen will have to make a decision: Do I play both spring and fall in 2021 or just choose to play one to save wear and tear. It will be interesting if OSU explores other options to play in the fall if it is legally possible. Of course if COVID-19 is still going strong all of this doesn't matter.

How do you suppose your school's athletic department will hold up, considering that they can't very well allow the basketball season to happen when they just pushed football to "maybe" spring 2021? So no TV money. No gate sales. No NCAA tournament for basketball. NO MONEY coming in. Crazy to think about.

A eight game season with no bowl games or no chance at a natty is pitiful at best.

Well you don't know that there wouldn't be a championship game of some kind if they played in the spring. I think it's unlikely that the other conferences move forward without the Big Ten and Pac-12. Even if they played this fall, there won't be bowl games with fans in January anyway - and a bowl game is really just an exhibition game in my mind anyway if I can't make a vacation out of it.

Quite frankly, Iowa doesn't really have much of a chance to win the national championship regardless of when it's played. Arguably, they would probably have a better chance in the spring if there are no bowls and there's say an 8 game season with a 16 team playoff (I'm just making up ideas for the spring, I have no idea what they would do in the spring for a championship).

Do I think there will be football in the spring? No, honestly, I don't think there will be; however, if there is, then I will enjoy it- just like I'm enjoying whatever glimpses of MLB and the NHL that I'm getting right now.

ADVERTISEMENT