ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Starters at LB announced by Phil Parker.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
DC Parker has named Amani Jones (Mike) Nick Niemann (Leo) and Aaron Mends (Will) the starting linebackers at this point. I'm interested to see the fluidity of the lineup in the run up to the season. Have to say I'm a little surprised Not to see Welch in there. There has also been alot of talk about Barrington Wade today. Maybe he makes a move sometime before the opener. Or this lineup could be the one Parker goes with to start the season.

I think we can write Niemann in ink at Leo. People say he is going to be better than his big brother (including his big brother).

The two inside spots are interesting. Hockaday and Welch will be fighting for those until the week before Northern Illinois. I like Jones and Mends a lot, but we know what spring 2-deeps are worth.

At the beginning of spring I was kind of hoping to see Dijom Colbert in the fight. Mainly because I thought he might be a superior athlete. Maybe too young yet. I love the physicality of Amani at Mike.
In interviews I've heard, guys who've also earned mention by the players are Wade, Djimon, and Doyle. When summer rolls around, I wouldn't be shocked if McDonald were to make some noise too. 4 of our top 5 LBs will be JRs or SRs in '18 ... thus, we're going to need young guys "locked and loaded" in order to jump in an contribute when it's their time!

I think we can write Niemann in ink at Leo. People say he is going to be better than his big brother (including his big brother).

The two inside spots are interesting. Hockaday and Welch will be fighting for those until the week before Northern Illinois. I like Jones and Mends a lot, but we know what spring 2-deeps are worth.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Hockaday transfer if he's not named a starter, this is his last year to play college ball.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hockaday transfer if he's not named a starter, this is his last year to play college ball.

LB starters won't be determined until fall camp, maybe late fall camp. If Jack doesn't start against Northern Illinois he may against ISU or UNI. I would be a little more surprised if he leaves for his last season.

I would be very surprised if Hockaday left Iowa. He had the misfortune of joining the Hawkeyes one year after Josey Jewell and quickly got stuck right behind him for 3 years. He had to know early on that he was not going to move Josie Jewell at MLB. And yet, he stayed anyway. I think he is 100% Hawkeye no matter how it shakes out.

The thing is, IMO Jack has played fairly well when filling-in for Josey and I believe that he would be the undisputed leader to start at MLB if it were not for a series of injuries. If he is healthy through this summer, I think he will be given every opportunity to win the position. That would be a great "paid his dues" comeback story. That said, Amani Jones has generated a lot of buzz this Spring and I am very interested to see him play too.

At the beginning of spring I was kind of hoping to see Dijom Colbert in the fight. Mainly because I thought he might be a superior athlete. Maybe too young yet. I love the physicality of Amani at Mike.

Colbert will see his day soon, IMO. Jones and Mends(senior) could make this a quicker unit than last year. Happy for the progress of Barrington Wade. He is another recruit who I was watching from day one. We will probably see a couple of unit shifts during the nonconference season to judge who can adapt to gameday play. I believe Iowa is really putting together depth and greater overall defensive speed on the field to match the passing attacks of its opponents. Go Hawks!

Can't wait for some fan insight after spring practice Friday. It does look like we are building quality depth at backer. Should have a solid rotation by the season. I would be pumped to see Jayden Mcdonald break into the rotation. That kid has speed. And I sho hope he is recruiting Goodson hard for us.

Can't wait for some fan insight after spring practice Friday. It does look like we are building quality depth at backer. Should have a solid rotation by the season. I would be pumped to see Jayden Mcdonald break into the rotation. That kid has speed. And I sho hope he is recruiting Goodson hard for us.

I missed this somewhere, but is McDonald on campus/practicing?

Colbert will see his day soon, IMO. Jones and Mends(senior) could make this a quicker unit than last year. Happy for the progress of Barrington Wade. He is another recruit who I was watching from day one. We will probably see a couple of unit shifts during the nonconference season to judge who can adapt to gameday play. I believe Iowa is really putting together depth and greater overall defensive speed on the field to match the passing attacks of its opponents. Go Hawks!

You are correct that there will likely be shifting/changing of people between now and fall. When you have 3 new starters, there will be a transition and sorting out of those players who can translate practice to the game. It's one thing to do well when going against the Iowa offense every day, which you know very well. It's another to do it against when the player is unfamiliar with the opponent and they have to react to what they see in front of them. I have zero idea of who will end up being starters on Game 1.

I would be very surprised if Hockaday left Iowa. He had the misfortune of joining the Hawkeyes one year after Josey Jewell and quickly got stuck right behind him for 3 years. He had to know early on that he was not going to move Josie Jewell at MLB. And yet, he stayed anyway. I think he is 100% Hawkeye no matter how it shakes out.

The thing is, IMO Jack has played fairly well when filling-in for Josey and I believe that he would be the undisputed leader to start at MLB if it were not for a series of injuries. If he is healthy through this summer, I think he will be given every opportunity to win the position. That would be a great "paid his dues" comeback story. That said, Amani Jones has generated a lot of buzz this Spring and I am very interested to see him play too.

We don't really know about any of these guys as they haven't played. Hockaday's lone time playing extensively with the 1's was the 2016 opener, when Jewell got ejected for targeting. Hockaday forced a fumble, but no one on the Iowa defense other than Anthony Nelson was very good that day. Miami ran up 420+ yards and 180 yards rushing. That Miami team started 0-6 before winning 6 in a row, and the Redhawks were 104th in total offense that year. Lots of other new players for Iowa that day, but my point is we haven't seen enough of Hockaday or any of the guys in the mix at LB when games matter to know one way or the other. I do think given Parker's record of developing defenses and the amount of capable bodies Iowa has there, they will become a good defense at some point this season. But it could take some lumps to get there.

Glad to see Amani and Mends in the lineup, I always like seeing them on the field.

I agree with others that we'll see more LB than usual in 2018. Not only due to lack of experience, but Parker hinting at a hybrid LB/S kind of player, more situational subbing, etc. I look forward to it.

I think Amani sticks at Mike and as he continues to study and master the game he will be an absolute MONSTER. Maybe he can lead the Defense back to the Bullys of the B1G days.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Does anybody know how Niemann's measurables compare to his brothers?
Nick is listed as 6-4, 232 lbs ... as a SO. Phil claims that he's faster than Ben. As a SR, Ben was listed as 6-3, 233 lbs. When Nick was coming out of high school - Ben claimed that Nick was further along than he was at the same point. However, that said ... Ben's high school coach always gushed about how indispensable Ben was to the team (the same comment wasn't made about Nick). Maybe Ben was the more impressive leader on the field?

Regardless, both Niemann brothers are talented guys ... I'm happy they chose to be Hawks!

Reactions: Harbinger273

Agreed. Niemann will be the guy outside.

Mends, Jones, Welch, and Hockaday must all be very close inside. It looked like Doyle was getting some reps with the 1st team today, too. These battles are going to go all the way thru summer. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes all the way till a week before the first game.

I think we are going to be exceptional at LBer this year even with little game time experience. These are some of the most athletic LBers Iowa has ever had! I can’t wait to see these guys on the field.

Didn't Hockaday miss all most the whole season once with injuries. Has there ever been talk of a medical for him? With Welch moving to the Will spot I think they may be getting him ready to start there next season. Obviously Colbert & McDonald will have something to say but I love getting the seniors in the starting spot if it's close.

Didn't Hockaday miss all most the whole season once with injuries. Has there ever been talk of a medical for him? With Welch moving to the Will spot I think they may be getting him ready to start there next season. Obviously Colbert & McDonald will have something to say but I love getting the seniors in the starting spot if it's close.
No. There was talk of him redshirting last season but he came in when Josey went out in the Illinois game. Other years he has played special teams.

I agree - if Hockaday stays fully recovered I think he has a good shot at winning the MLB position. Parker had high praise for Amani Jones in his presser so Hockaday can't afford to miss a day when Fall practice begins.

Things have changed considerably with the expected loss of Aaron Mends for the season. I think the one constant we will see is Amani Jones. He will start and if his development at the Mike spot continues and is consistent he will likely be there all season. Niemann is likely the guy for the Leo spot but could be other developments. The Will spot was started by Welch last night, but we will see if he maintiains that or if Wade or Colbert press for time there. Colbert has a good energy and passion I feel, but may have some rawness to him as a Redshirt Freshman.
The loss of Mends is a serious blow to our depth, but I think in true Iowa tradition we take it in stride and move forward and find sucess as well.

A side benefit of all these LBs showing... is that special teams will be special. Our best years have always featured good athletes on special teams, guys that are looking to show what they've got.

I think the injury to Mends all but cements Niemann and Jones as starters. Welch and Hockaday, and possibly Doyle and Colbert, will press to be the 3rd guy.

Glad to see Amani and Mends in the lineup, I always like seeing them on the field.

I agree with others that we'll see more LB than usual in 2018. Not only due to lack of experience, but Parker hinting at a hybrid LB/S kind of player, more situational subbing, etc. I look forward to it.
As far as the hybrid LB/S, Someone in the press (sorry I can’t remember who) said in the radio they are sure that position really is Nick Niemann. Said he actually is more of a safety playing up there. Found it interesting as I have always heard of him in the LB spot.

Well, guys like Kirksey and Ben Niemann have always had hybrid LB/S qualities, and Nick Niemann seems to continue that lineage. Hopefully he is even better than his brother.

Man, I'm bummed about Mends. Feel for the guy. He works and works and works, and when his chance is right there, he gets cut down by injury.

Reactions: RogerKint
Well, guys like Kirksey and Ben Niemann have always had hybrid LB/S qualities, and Nick Niemann seems to continue that lineage. Hopefully he is even better than his brother.

Man, I'm bummed about Mends. Feel for the guy. He works and works and works, and when his chance is right there, he gets cut down by injury.
Unreal how ****in cruel life can be sometimes.

Feel so bad for this kid. I hope that he can somehow make it back to at least play some late in the year.

You need a complete bullshit reason for a 6th year, such as a coaching change or someone hurt your feelings. They don't hand them out for legitimate needs like Mends or Drew Ott.

I think the injury to Mends all but cements Niemann and Jones as starters. Welch and Hockaday, and possibly Doyle and Colbert, will press to be the 3rd guy.
Jones (MLB) and Niemann (OLB) were already starters, IMO.

Now it's wide open at WLB, which was where Mends was starting most of the spring. On Friday they had Welch starting there.

Three deeps at LB Friday

OLB - Nick Niemann, Barrington Wade, Nick Anderson/Ben Campos
MLB - Amani Jones, Jack Hockaday, Dillon Doyle
WLB - Kristian Welch, Djimon Colbert, Colton Dinsdale

Then Jayden McDonald and the freshmen will get a chance in August.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT