ADVERTISEMENT

Stall calls…..?????

bammhawk1

HR Heisman
May 16, 2009
WTF was up with those tonight? Literally every single call against Iowa was a BS call. Just because you block or sprawl doesnt mean its stalling. Iowa wasnt running away or avoiding anything. Brands escapes with 25-28 seconds to go and Starocci runs away the entire time and nothing. How many PSU guys just locked the leg up and sat on it?

WTF was up with those tonight? Literally every single call against Iowa was a BS call. Just because you block or sprawl doesnt mean its stalling. Iowa wasnt running away or avoiding anything. Brands escapes with 25-28 seconds to go and Starocci runs away the entire time and nothing. How many PSU guys just locked the leg up and sat on it?
I’m pretty sure that one leg wrap sit on the ankle is a taught technique at psu. In my opinion it is stalling. Simply because in the position you are parallel to the bottom man. That’s not an attempt to turn. But they don’t call it that way so it’s not stalling. Top wrestling has really gone downhill the past 15 years. That’s why I’m so glad we have Spence Lee.

That hook the ankle ride has been taught since the 1960’s. To get out you have to straighten the hooked leg and yank it outta there for FFS. Get to whizzer position or tripod with head up. Pressure back in and up to your feet. They put it in when you’re flat and coming back to a base.
It’s ridiculous to think you can’t beat that ride technique. It’s a ride that’s come full circle. Just like wearing 70’s clothes are cool now. Give me a break.

That hook the ankle ride has been taught since the 1960’s. To get out you have to straighten the hooked leg and yank it outta there for FFS. Get to whizzer position or tripod with head up. Pressure back in and up to your feet. They put it in when you’re flat and coming back to a base.
It’s ridiculous to think you can’t beat that ride technique. It’s a ride that’s come full circle. Just like wearing 70’s clothes are cool now. Give me a break.
You can be correct in your lesson on how to defend the ride, and admit that it’s stalling to just sit on that in the top position for 4 minutes.

Last edited:
Very strange take, IMHO. I’ll argue that it’s ridiculous to suggest it’s so beatable when week after week and NCAA after NCAA we witness high level college wrestlers consistently get beaten that way.

Very strange take, IMHO. I’ll argue that it’s ridiculous to suggest it’s so beatable when week after week and NCAA after NCAA we witness high level college wrestlers consistently get beaten that way.
Perhaps i am just an outta of touch dinosaur. We used to drill it the top guy got to start with the ankle hooked and you had 30 seconds to get away. If you can’t get away shame on you.
I don’t disagree, it’s stalling. I lost 4-1 in a tournament finals as a sophomore, because a guy rode me with a hooked ankle and a two on one for over 4 minutes of a six minute match. I never lost that way again.
I got called for stalling twice in my unflattering career. Once for blocking with the head in neutral and the other by Mike Allen in my conference finals match, while riding! Neither of which is called today.
Rules need to be changed and when you’re on the bottom you have to get away.

I’m pretty sure that one leg wrap sit on the ankle is a taught technique at psu. In my opinion it is stalling. Simply because in the position you are parallel to the bottom man. That’s not an attempt to turn. But they don’t call it that way so it’s not stalling. Top wrestling has really gone downhill the past 15 years. That’s why I’m so glad we have Spence Lee.
Totally agree on that leg wrap thing...that is nothing more than stalling. Offiiciating in all sports has become just a show for the home crowd approval (except the Hawks women's game today vs Nebraska, ,where the officials stuck it to Iowa whenever they could...and don't seem to understand what defense is vs a legitimate foul (hacks across arms, going over backs, pulling on arms aren't fouls if it a red jersey today)

One of my biggest frustrations with Iowa is that they don't hook the ankle in the top position consistently enough. For PSU this is clearly something that is emphasized as pretty much every guy does it and has used it for years. It's all a fundamental approach. The way the sport is currently officiated it is not considered stalling. I should point out that many Iowa wrestlers have used that ride. I think Woods used it in the PSU match. But it is not as consistent in the Iowa line up as it is for PSU. Personally I don't understand why Iowa doesn't do it more. It seems like a technique almost anyone could pick up pretty easily. Not everyone can develop an ankle pick but it seems like everyone should be able to hook the leg in the top position.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
One of my biggest frustrations with Iowa is that they don't hook the ankle in the top position consistently enough. For PSU this is clearly something that is emphasized as pretty much every guy does it and has used it for years. It's all a fundamental approach. The way the sport is currently officiated it is not considered stalling. I should point out that many Iowa wrestlers have used that ride. I think Woods used it in the PSU match. But it is not as consistent in the Iowa line up as it is for PSU. Personally I don't understand why Iowa doesn't do it more. It seems like a technique almost anyone could pick up pretty easily. Not everyone can develop an ankle pick but it seems like everyone should be able to hook the leg in the top position.
These are my thoughts also, if that's how they call it use it to your advantage. To me the stalling call reminds me of holding calls or PI calls in football, there's some judgement to it.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
The stalling calls, or lack thereof, in neutral were one sided and inconsistent, but they had no bearing on the score of any of the matches.
I would slightly disagree. If Teske did not have stalling calls against him, would he have felt the need to make that last shot? While it certainly did not affect the outcome of that match, it cost three team points.

I would slightly disagree. If Teske did not have stalling calls against him, would he have felt the need to make that last shot? While it certainly did not affect the outcome of that match, it cost three team points.
Maybe I'm misrembering but he's still losing even without the stalling point. Or no? If so, I'd hope he'd feel the need to take that last shot.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm misrembering but he's still losing even without the stalling point. Or no? If so, I'd hope he'd feel the need to take that last shot.
I'd hope he wouldn't feel the need to take the last shot. He's completely outclassed and a leg shot gives zero chance of winning. Think of the team, and don't risk the pin with a petty move. Even he is going to do something, then I'd rather see him go for an upper body lock if he's wanting the risk.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
I'd hope he wouldn't feel the need to take the last shot. He's completely outclassed and a leg shot gives zero chance of winning. Think of the team, and don't risk the pin with a petty move. Even he is going to do something, then I'd rather see him go for an upper body lock if he's wanting the risk.
Fair enough. Just a difference of opinion. I want my guy looking to score there. Never know what a leg shot can lead to. Also I think the mentality you have is the same many wrestlers have today. I think it's a reason why we bitch about how some of the matches are being wrestled these days.

At some point you think of the team rather than yourself. And if you read my comments again, you will see in no way did I say it affected that match. You really think he was going to score 4-5 points in the last 30 seconds?

Reactions: el dub
Fair enough. Just a difference of opinion. I want my guy looking to score there. Never know what a leg shot can lead to. Also I think the mentality you have is the same many wrestlers have today. I think it's a reason why we bitch about how some of the matches are being wrestled these days.
If DeSanto got in on RBY a dozen times or so and didn't come away with a TD why would Teske risk that move where RBY has cradled people? It won't give him the win, and will only risk what happened. If he should try anything for the win, go upper body and go big. Give us something to applaud.

And don't bemoan my mentality. How can you complain when I said if he's going to do anything, go upper body? That's pretty exciting stuff.

At some point you think of the team rather than yourself. And if you read my comments again, you will see in no way did I say it affected that match. You really think he was going to score 4-5 points in the last 30 seconds?
We can agree to disagree. If I'm a coach I will never tell my wrestler to concede and just take the loss. I think in the long run it's better for the wrestler and the team even if may not be beneficial for that particular dual. And yeah...kids come back every year from deficits even after getting schooled the entire match. I'm telling my kid if you want to help the team try to get the win as opposed to trying not to give up a bonus point or two.

If DeSanto got in on RBY a dozen times or so and didn't come away with a TD why would Teske risk that move where RBY has cradled people?
For the exact same reason Austin NEVER stopped coming at RBY and never conceded the match. He ALWAYS had winning on his mind not trying to do his best to not give up bonus.

I think if you want to go big at the end of match you almost have to attempt a take down with the intent to transition to something upper body. If you try to just go upper body your opponent will just back out but if you distract them with a shot you might be able to catch them in something.

We can agree to disagree. If I'm a coach I will never tell my wrestler to concede and just take the loss. I think in the long run it's better for the wrestler and the team even if may not be beneficial for that particular dual. And yeah...kids come back every year from deficits even after getting schooled the entire match. I'm telling my kid if you want to help the team try to get the win as opposed to trying not to give up a bonus point or two.
Fair enough - but you hear it all the time from Gibbons how to wrestle smart and save the team a point at the end of a match - someone who knows a little more about sport than either you or I. And it wasn't like there was significant time left to do anything other than a simple take down. As Clint once said - A man's gots to know his limitations.

Get rid of riding time. Take down and 30 seconds to do something with it. Boom back to feet.
own

For the exact same reason Austin NEVER stopped coming at RBY and never conceded the match. He ALWAYS had winning on his mind not trying to do his best to not give up bonus.
He can't have the exact same reason as Austin, since he's nowhere near where Austin is. At that position in the match 1) not giving up bonus or 2) try to win through a desperate big move were his best options. He'd have to try something different. If winning was on his mind, he wouldn't go for a mere leg attack on RBY. He'd have to try a throw with just seconds left. Of course, he may have thought a leg attack may be the only way to keep RBY from getting a major.

Nice way to twist it, but anyone who knows anything would understand from a team prospective he could have stayed on solid defense and save the team 2 points. Not that I give 2 cents what you think, the facts remain whether you believe or not the Officiating was horrible and everyone knows it.

I think if you want to go big at the end of match you almost have to attempt a take down with the intent to transition to something upper body. If you try to just go upper body your opponent will just back out but if you distract them with a shot you might be able to catch them in something.
See Jayson Ness vs. Dan Dennis in the NCAA finals. Pretty much exactly what happened.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
See Jayson Ness vs. Dan Dennis in the NCAA finals. Pretty much exactly what happened.
One only needed 1 takedown between two very evenly matched competitors and in the other match one needed 3 takedowns on a superior opponent.

I had zero problem with the Teske match. He was trying to make something happen and got caught by a very good wrestler. Happened to be with minimal time left but I give him credit for wrestling to the end.

Brands kept it close but was really no threat. I was bored to death.
But I do not think Starr wins 5 titles. He wrestlers too close of matches and somebody will get him at NCAA's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT