ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Cuts Wrestling after 2021

Amongst many other sports.

Going to be some good wrestlers that come out of there. This is horrible. Real Woods...come on down.
That sucks..
Shane Griffith..great 1-2 with him and Kennedy

Griffith and Woods could be timely addtions.

Could Griffith make it at 157?

Reactions: Torg
Wow. This is a huge bummer. I didn’t see it coming at all with Stanford.

That really hurts.
W2x6geTuUP.gif

Last edited:
Yep, this is a HUGE blow to the sport my friends! Can not think of many programs that if lost would hurt more!

Wouldn't it make more sense maybe to put the programs on "hold" instead of eliminating them? No one has a crystal ball, so maybe say we need to shut down now but once things are better we can restart?

For example, I believe it was Boise St. that announced the end of their program and within a week they had their mats up for auction. Think it would make much more sense to hold on to their equipment. Put it in storage if need be, and wait to see just what happens?

I don't know? Maybe I just pissed off and mad about it!

Stanford will discontinue 11 of our varsity sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling.

At $27.7 billion, Stanford has the fourth largest endowment fund in America. If a school that wealthy feels the need to cut financial support for Olympic sports, there can only be more such choices made down the road by other institutions.

At $27.7 billion, Stanford has the fourth largest endowment fund in America. If a school that wealthy feels the need to cut financial support for Olympic sports, there can only be more such choices made down the road by other institutions.

Endowments are often tied to very specific areas at the request of the donor. Stanford can’t just dip into the returns cookie jar for whatever they want. You would need to see the details of their endowments in order to determine if any of it could be used towards the 11 sports that are being cut.

Endowments are often tied to very specific areas at the request of the donor. Stanford can’t just dip into the returns cookie jar for whatever they want. You would need to see the details of their endowments in order to determine if any of it could be used towards the 11 sports that are being cut.

I know and understand this. However, wealth is wealth. No, the athletic department may not have direct access to endowment money, but eliminating eleven sports is a red flag. Plus, Stanford has prided itself for years at offering more athletic opportunities than most other schools in America. They have won the Directors' Cup for the last 25 years.

This.

Quite frankly, they sponsored too many sports to start with. They have 36 varsity sports and after these cuts they will STILL sponsor 3 more than Iowa...who might also have too many sports. Their wrestling program was always on tedious ground since it wasn't fully funded. Pretty strange that they had such a high number of sports and many not fully funded.

Doesn't mean this isn't a bad deal, of course.

Probably a good time to start supporting lower level championships. D1 will always be the creme de la creme, but more of our youth are going to have to go the D3/NAIA route as that appears to be where the opportunities are.

What you are going to see is the blood letting of non revenue sports. Just wait to see what happens if football is done without fans, or worse yet, canceled. Then everyone will start to understand the importance of the Big Ten Network and why Rutgers was invited to join the Big Ten. The network funnels millions of dollars to each school and tv markets matter. You will also understand why the schools and NCAA fought so hard against the payment of athletes. And by the way, while I still don't think it will go over so well in the locker room, payment for endorsements/appearances are just fine with me.

Read the article from Flo they cut the program for more reasons than funding. I didn't agree with their rationale for cutting the program, based off their criteria for doing so.
Mainly feeling they couldn't compete at a high level.

Stanford will discontinue 11 of our varsity sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling.

Wait, AND synchronized swimming?! NOOOOOO!!!!

Wait, AND synchronized swimming?! NOOOOOO!!!!

Substitute wrestling for synchronized swimming and you have the reaction of 99% of college sports fans out there when wrestling programs get dropped. Outside of the wrestling community and people who absolutely love non-revenue sports, no one gives a sh*t when wrestling programs are dropped. As much as we don't want to admit it, wrestling at the NCAA level is incredibly expendable to the institutions that sponsor it.

l
ooks like Real is going MMA
Not sure that's a totally serious post from Izzy, but if Real values a stanford degree over a college wrestling career, that could be a legit move. Train MMA while getting your degree and leave wrestling behind. Would be such a shame as he had a great freshman campaign.

Reactions: el dub
Stanford University drops it's always nationally competitive men's wrestling program. Iowa Weslyan University, currently in the financial intensive care unit, adds men's wrestling to it's athletic program. The world really is topsy-turvy! I can't keep up. This could very well be the 'canary-in-the-coal-mine'.

Substitute wrestling for synchronized swimming and you have the reaction of 99% of college sports fans out there when wrestling programs get dropped. Outside of the wrestling community and people who absolutely love non-revenue sports, no one gives a sh*t when wrestling programs are dropped. As much as we don't want to admit it, wrestling at the NCAA level is incredibly expendable to the institutions that sponsor it.
Yep, no self-awareness. Spot on.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...wftHr1oeZ7xu1yesitySghv7loRdKgDABCWhZpJLxZ_yg

Did not want to start another thread with bad news. I know this isn't Wrestling but this is not good!

Agree.

Didn't want to start a thread about it either, but given the number of athletes (pro and collegiate) that have contracted covid in last month or two, the unthinkable is starting to loom possible. Collegiate sports in the 2020-21 year will likely be curtailed in some fashion. Fall sports are, of course, at highest risk.

Kansas St, Houston and Boise State all had covid outbreaks and shut down their voluntary football practices. Clemson had 23 football players test positive and LSU had 30 in quarantine.

Hope wrestling happens, but there are no guarantees at this point.

Even starting college and HS classes in this fall is being debated. The Cal State system, Harvard and other schools are talking about having teaching being done "remotely."

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: IRONBIRD
I know and understand this. However, wealth is wealth. No, the athletic department may not have direct access to endowment money, but eliminating eleven sports is a red flag. Plus, Stanford has prided itself for years at offering more athletic opportunities than most other schools in America. They have won the Directors' Cup for the last 25 years.
You're right GG. That Director's Cup was a something they promoted a lot.
This isn't about Stanford having enough money. It's about priorities.

I thought that too until wrestling almost got eliminated from the Olympics. There was an outpouring of support for wrestling from outside the niche fanbase. MMA has really helped with the level of interest. It comes down to dollars, and the Covid boogie man is going to continue to sap American dollars for the foreseeable future.

I thought that too until wrestling almost got eliminated from the Olympics. There was an outpouring of support for wrestling from outside the niche fanbase. MMA has really helped with the level of interest. It comes down to dollars, and the Covid boogie man is going to continue to sap American dollars for the foreseeable future.

where are those voices now? Where are their dollars? Their boycotts and petitions?

Can you imagine the outrage if swimming was dropped from the Olympics? Now compare it to the outrage when “Random d1 university” drops swimming. Apples to oranges.

where are those voices now? Where are their dollars? Their boycotts and petitions?

Can you imagine the outrage if swimming was dropped from the Olympics? Now compare it to the outrage when “Random d1 university” drops swimming. Apples to oranges.

Because this round just started. You lost all credibility equating synchronized swimming to wrestling.

Nice! I hadn't seen that term before, but very true.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Because this round just started. You lost all credibility equating synchronized swimming to wrestling.

A wrestling program gets dropped pretty much every year and they say nothing. Haven’t we lost like 100 programs in the last 30 years? Wouldn’t they have spoken up or some something by now?

I didn’t compare wrestling to synchronized swimming I compared public reaction to the sports as the same. And I would bet the Olympic viewership levels for the two sports is not far off.

And don’t worry, I won’t lose any sleep about whether you think I have any credibility.

A wrestling program gets dropped pretty much every year and they say nothing. Haven’t we lost like 100 programs in the last 30 years? Wouldn’t they have spoken up or some something by now?

I didn’t compare wrestling to synchronized swimming I compared public reaction to the sports as the same. And I would bet the Olympic viewership levels for the two sports is not far off.

And don’t worry, I won’t lose any sleep about whether you think I have any credibility.

Ok, you're right. The the public reaction would be the same for cancelling synchronized swimming compared to wrestling from the Olympics.

giphy.gif

Ok, you're right. The the public reaction would be the same for cancelling synchronized swimming compared to wrestling from the Olympics.

giphy.gif

Why do you keep bringing up the olympics? We are talking about NCAA wrestling programs being dropped. Stay on topic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT