ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Cuts Wrestling after 2021

I would be very surprised if Stanford does not find someone to endow the sport. I do not think we have heard the last of Stanford wrestling.

They couldn’t find the donors to fully fund it. How are they suddenly going to find someone to pony up the dollars to endow it?

Honestly, having women's wrestling become a NCAA sanctioned sport may end up being the thing that saves men's wrestling.

I would think many of the Stanford sports teams could still compete with players only on academic scholarships. No idea what Stanford's own policies are like, but I'd assume just about anyone who gets in to Stanford would meet the NCAA requirements:

• Top 10 percent of high school graduating class
  • 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.0
  • 1200 SAT score/105 ACT sum score

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Have not seen or heard much about any of the Wrestlers from the cut programs? Not sure what the NCAA rules are for the athletes once a program is eliminated?

Obviously a bad time to be looking for a new home, but I would think some of the Wrestlers would have made comments on what they are looking to do. As was pointed out by other posters, Stanford had some studs!

Maybe I missed it?

I don’t see how college wrestling survives this. I doubt we will have a season this year, and it may be gone completely after that.

This is just awful.

You really think college wrestling will be gone after next year? I find that highly unlikely.

Agree.

Didn't want to start a thread about it either, but given the number of athletes (pro and collegiate) that have contracted covid in last month or two, the unthinkable is starting to loom possible. Collegiate sports in the 2020-21 year will likely be curtailed in some fashion. Fall sports are, of course, at highest risk.

Kansas St, Houston and Boise State all had covid outbreaks and shut down their voluntary football practices. Clemson had 23 football players test positive and LSU had 30 in quarantine.

Hope wrestling happens, but there are no guarantees at this point.

Even starting college and HS classes in this fall is being debated. The Cal State system, Harvard and other schools are talking about having teaching being done "remotely."

Keeping my fingers crossed.

And here I’m crossing my fingers that colleges here in OR don’t open up for on campus classes this fall. (Unless things change drastically in the next month.)

You really think college wrestling will be gone after next year? I find that highly unlikely.

With all the missing football revenue so many sports will be cut I don’t see more than a handful of programs left, which won’t be enough for the NCAA to recognize it has a sport.

A lot of people think we can just turn everything off for a year then turn it back on as if nothing happened. It doesn’t work that way. Education, sports, crime, the economy, mental health; these things are going to be damaged for years, and in some ways permanently.

With all the missing football revenue so many sports will be cut I don’t see more than a handful of programs left, which won’t be enough for the NCAA to recognize it has a sport.

A lot of people think we can just turn everything off for a year then turn it back on as if nothing happened. It doesn’t work that way. Education, sports, crime, the economy, mental health; these things are going to be damaged for years, and in some ways permanently.

I didn’t say turn it back on as if nothing happened. I’m well aware teams are going to get cut, probably double digits at least depending on how the next several months play out.

But there would probably need to be 50 or so teams cut in order for the sport to even be considered to be “gone.” (Quick google search reveals the NCAA Rowing championships have had 22 teams. Speaking of which, I think that was one of Standord’s cuts so that sport may be in trouble...)

So even if there is absolutely no football season this year (which I don’t think will happen, I think it will happen in spring), yes that’s a year’s worth of profit (maybe a little more since if football gets cancelled that probably means basketball gets cancelled again too). But I’d like to think at least half of the teams left have responsible athletic departments who can make gradual cuts to make up for that over several years. So maybe it means lessscholarships/travel/coaches salaries for several years at many schools, maybe it’s wishful thinking but I’d like to think there won’t be an overwhelming majority of schools that just take the easy way out by cutting tons of sports.

Keep in mind so far there have been 2 D1 schools that have announced teams cut that did not cut wrestling. So even if a school with wrestling makes cuts, it’s not a guarantee that wrestling will be one of them.

Live out west. This is a major blow to the sport of wrestling out here. I'm really worried that if football doesn't go this fall you will see a few more colleges out west cut their wrestling programs. Feel like a lot of HS wrestling programs out here are holding on for dear life. Last thing we need is the few college programs to start folding.

Huh? Money talks in our society. Many people are willing to make decisions based on the bottom line. All sports are in trouble. Non revenue producing sports are the obvious cuts to make when monetary costs are the main concern.
That's it. Here in New England, the winter revenue sport is hockey, and people love hockey here like we love wrestling in Iowa. Hockey is a very expensive port (rink, equipment, etc.), but it will be one of the last sports to get cut because of all the attention it gets and money it generates. There's only three D1 wrestling schools left here, and I think only one D2 school. I think that at least one of those will get cut.

Reactions: el dub and pahawk68
At $27.7 billion, Stanford has the fourth largest endowment fund in America. If a school that wealthy feels the need to cut financial support for Olympic sports, there can only be more such choices made down the road by other institutions.
I hope this isn’t just the tip of the iceberg!!?? This is a huge concern! There may be many other considering this. They seem to always take the easy way out and cut wrestling.

Live out west. This is a major blow to the sport of wrestling out here. I'm really worried that if football doesn't go this fall you will see a few more colleges out west cut their wrestling programs. Feel like a lot of HS wrestling programs out here are holding on for dear life. Last thing we need is the few college programs to start folding.
Valid concern !

And here I’m crossing my fingers that colleges here in OR don’t open up for on campus classes this fall. (Unless things change drastically in the next month.)

I agree dub....I'm not keen on forcing schools to open in a month. I think doing that while the pandemic is spiking up is crazy.

The fingers crossed was more about wrestling season not being lost for 2020-21, as we get control over the covid spread. Not real optimistic at this point.

Reactions: el dub
I agree dub....I'm not keen on forcing schools to open in a month. I think doing that while the pandemic is spiking up is crazy.

The fingers crossed was more about wrestling season not being lost for 2020-21, as we get control over the covid spread. Not real optimistic at this point.
How do you propose we get control over the Covid spread? When we open up, it will spread. Are suggesting that we wait for a vaccine or wait until we have a couple more spikes (1 year to 2 years) and then it will have run its course and we will be safe? Do we wait for therapeutics that will treat it?

Reactions: artradley

Shoot for a shortened season in the spring, maybe?

Conference schedule, conference tourneys and nationals in a two or three month span?

Huh? Money talks in our society. Many people are willing to make decisions based on the bottom line. All sports are in trouble. Non revenue producing sports are the obvious cuts to make when monetary costs are the main concern.

sure, but how much does it cost to run a wrestling team. Got to be a lot less, I would think.

Shoot for a shortened season in the spring, maybe?

Conference schedule, conference tourneys and nationals in a two or three month span?

In my more optimistic moments I see wrestling moved to a spring semester sport for this year, the pandemic gets under control by January, and then they decide to permanently make wrestling a spring sport with championships in April or May. Which would actually be a major improvement.

But in my less optimistic moments I realistically don't see wrestling happening this year. When classes start there will be a surge in Corona Virus, and everybody will panic and shut everything down again.

Reactions: el dub and wasdt21
Realistically the federal tax changes that went after how annual priority point donations were treated need to be reversed. Both athletic and academic budgets (via scholarship allotment) would benefit.

$881,875 - includes Grapple on the Gridiron. Previous year was roughly $550,000
Are you saying then that our program runs at a loss every year? Most wrestling programs do, but I was naive enough to think that Iowa's didn't

Last edited:
Are you saying that then program runs at a loss every year? Most wrestling programs do, but I was naive enough to think that Iowa's didn't

Yes, they lose money every year. There are just not enough home meets in a season to offset expenses.

Do not recall if this listing of revenues reported by NCAA schools has previously been posted. It's interesting (read suspect) that so many schools have revenue deficits. Maybe some creative accounting? Or maybe the athletic managers are just oblivious to spending? Maybe the COVID-19 pandemic will force greater focus on spending. Edit: cannot post information from USA TODAY. Secure site. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Last edited:
Do not recall if this listing of revenues reported by NCAA schools has previously been posted. It's interesting (read suspect) that so many schools have revenue deficits. Maybe some creative accounting? Or maybe the athletic managers are just oblivious to spending? Maybe the COVID-19 pandemic will force greater focus on spending. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
A good question would be, How many teams have to be cut and how many budgets have to be cut, before they cut some administrators?

Reactions: OL119
A good question would be, How many teams have to be cut and how many budgets have to be cut, before they cut some administrators?
The last few weeks I've been mulling over starting a nonprofit that looks at school districts and identifies administrative bloat at taxpayer request. Just a pipedream, but the more I read the more likeminded people I discover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT