ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Halftime

I can guarantee if those fricking nut jobs piss in a cup after their performance, half or more would have something illicit in their blood stream. Yes the Iowa faithful were not impressed. Wonder what those tofu eating douche bags would eat if we didn't grow soybeans.

To make matters worse we really laid a turd on he field today. Will be a long trip home on Sunday.

...and if you made them fill the cup, they would all suddenly become Libertarians.

This isn't a political thing. This was about mocking farmers and Iowa. Just how the coasts think of the so called fly over land.

Hell, I thought they were making fun of Chik-Filet. You know....eat more chikin?

This isn't a political thing. This was about mocking farmers and Iowa. Just how the coasts think of the so called fly over land.
They make fun of whomever their opponent is. If it makes you feel any better, they make fun of people from the west coast whenever they play conference games.

Reactions: Whinny
Their band isn't officially sanctioned by the university. It is like a quasi student organization. Supposedly they were banned for a year but rose bowl wanted both teams to have band

I wasn't offended by it but thought it was pretty lame and seemed really out of place at the Rose Bowl. Maybe I'm just old, but a bunch of college kids just running around the field all disorganized with their instruments looked really stupid. Like a bunch of junior high kids trying to put together a halftime show. And making fun of farmers. Real original. Tom Arnold's pep talk was pretty funny, but I wonder what the players and coaches thought of him making a joke about how far behind we were.

Their band isn't officially sanctioned by the university. It is like a quasi student organization. Supposedly they were banned for a year but rose bowl wanted both teams to have band

That's some strong work by the Rose Bowl, then. Not.

These are the spoiled kids of spoiled parents that were spoiled kids themselves. Not surprising, in that light.

Would be cool to see any of them forced to work a full day on a real farm. I bet most of them couldn't do it. It ain't easy, but it's vital work. For the world. Including those doofuses. It's like they never considered that the food has to arrive at their Whole Foods store from somewhere. It doesn't magically appear on the truck as it pulls into the parking lot.

Sadly, these are the haves in our world. They will be among the big bankers, brokers and other 1% ers. We just got a look at how one group of people view another. They'll play it off as 'just a joke' in good fun. But there is a deeper truth lurking in there.

I've worked my share of agriculture, while I lived in Nebraska, and have great respect for farmers, ranchers, and all ag workers.

It's too bad they can't count creativity among their band's talents after reaching for an obvious and old stereotype.

I wasn't offended by it but thought it was pretty lame and seemed really out of place at the Rose Bowl. Maybe I'm just old, but a bunch of college kids just running around the field all disorganized with their instruments looked really stupid. Like a bunch of junior high kids trying to put together a halftime show. And making fun of farmers. Real original. Tom Arnold's pep talk was pretty funny, but I wonder what the players and coaches thought of him making a joke about how far behind we were.

Clearly, many Iowa fans were offended, but that's not really the point. The larger question is, "What is the Rose Bowl doing letting some quasi student organization run around on the field making fools of themselves, mocking the opposing school, without any kind of oversight from their own institution?" Iowa fans can laugh at themselves as much as anyone else and don't generally take themselves very seriously at all -- and if the Hawks had been up 35-0 at halftime maybe the farmer schtick would have been received a little differently, but that's beside the point. There's a certain level of decorum and respect that's expected of any marching band or any pre-game or halftime performance, and the Stanford "band" clearly fell miserably short of anything resembling respectable. It sounds like the Rose Bowl pretty much said, "Do whatever you want on the field during your 10 minutes," and it sounds like that's exactly what they did. Pathetic.

These are the spoiled kids of spoiled parents that were spoiled kids themselves. Not surprising, in that light.

Would be cool to see any of them forced to work a full day on a real farm. I bet most of them couldn't do it. It ain't easy, but it's vital work. For the world. Including those doofuses. It's like they never considered that the food has to arrive at their Whole Foods store from somewhere. It doesn't magically appear on the truck as it pulls into the parking lot.

Sadly, these are the haves in our world. They will be among the big bankers, brokers and other 1% ers. We just got a look at how one group of people view another. They'll play it off as 'just a joke' in good fun. But there is a deeper truth lurking in there.

I've worked my share of agriculture, while I lived in Nebraska, and have great respect for farmers, ranchers, and all ag workers.

It's too bad they can't count creativity among their band's talents after reaching for an obvious and old stereotype.

I'm not at all interested in divisive talk about "haves" and "have-nots", but the general thrust of your post has merit. Sometimes a little good-natured humor in a halftime show is fine. I get that the Stanford "band" isn't your traditional marching band, etc. I find them quite pathetic, but that's beside the point. When you have a team coming in from an agricultural state that takes great pride in its ag industry and their helmets sport a sticker pointing out that America needs farmers, it's beyond poor taste to spend your halftime routine making fun of farmers. First of all, mocking farmers is old, tired, uncreative, and lacking any humor in the first place, but this was not the time or place to be doing so. Not by a long shot.

Clearly, many Iowa fans were offended, but that's not really the point. The larger question is, "What is the Rose Bowl doing letting some quasi student organization run around on the field making fools of themselves, mocking the opposing school, without any kind of oversight from their own institution?" Iowa fans can laugh at themselves as much as anyone else and don't generally take themselves very seriously at all -- and if the Hawks had been up 35-0 at halftime maybe the farmer schtick would have been received a little differently, but that's beside the point. There's a certain level of decorum and respect that's expected of any marching band or any pre-game or halftime performance, and the Stanford "band" clearly fell miserably short of anything resembling respectable. It sounds like the Rose Bowl pretty much said, "Do whatever you want on the field during your 10 minutes," and it sounds like that's exactly what they did. Pathetic.
Did they do the same stupid stuff in their last couple Rose Bowl games? If they did and the Rose Bowl allowed them to do it again, that's on the Rose Bowl. They seem to be all about tradition and class and it certainly was not that.

Maybe not compared to Berkeley.

Their antics seem a little juvenile. Bet their school, alumni and parents are proud.

That is true. As for their band, they have offend stereotypes from all regions. From Berkeley hippies, to USC airheads, and illiterate ASU co-eds. But the school is not some liberal bastion. It's pretty conservative.

Did they do the same stupid stuff in their last couple Rose Bowl games? If they did and the Rose Bowl allowed them to do it again, that's on the Rose Bowl. They seem to be all about tradition and class and it certainly was not that.

Exactly my point. What the ^%$# is the "granddaddy of all bowl games" doing just letting these stoned idiots make fools of themselves and mock the opposing school in their pre-game and halftime shows? Considering that the Rose Bowl is so steeped in tradition, elegance, etc., it seems like a no-brainer that they'd go to great lengths to ensure that the pre-game and halftime shows were done in a respectful way. Especially considering that the Stanford "band" is known for this kind of foolishness, and considering that Stanford has played in the last three Rose Bowls, you'd think the Rose Bowl would have a clue about how to handle them. Evidently not.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
who-cares-87gv9o.jpg

After reading that they do this for every team I have less outrage over this as it relates to Iowa (not that I really had that much to begin with).

That being said, I could see why the Rose Bowl would consider banning them. Given the tradition and honor and everything that the Rose Bowl tries to promote, it kind of surprises me that they knowingly allow stuff like this every half time. Just kind of seems out of step with the whole rest of the game.

Calm down. First, you are taking this whay to seriously. We have that Farmers Only commercial come on non stop here and hey guess what, our school is called the farm for a reason. We have cows, horses, and all that stuff. If Anything, Stanford is much more like Iowa than you think as we are very conservitive as a whole and are not scared to get our hands dirty. Also, farmers are doing just fine financially and if they are not they get nice subsidies. Your stereotypes about Stanford is just as bad as the band portraid tonight, except one was a joke.

Does anyone have a photo or video of what they did? A lot of tweets and Facebook posts saying they did something very offensive about Iowans and farmers. That's why they panned the camera away and many Iowa boos.
I was at the game with no horse in the race (I am a husker married to a hawk) and I will attest that it was a classless, tacky performance. Even my blood was boiling. It was a bunch of mouthy liberal band dorks taking shots at farmers in general. The rose bowl and Stanford both owe the Hawkeye fan base an apology. Even my 8 and 6 year olds picked up on it. My kids were just fighting in the hotel room and my oldest says to the youngest "when you grow up you are going to have to play in the band at Stanford". My wife and I split a gut...

Now I know most of you really dislike the huskers, but I guarantee you will never experience something like this in Lincoln!

I was there and it is just a bad look for Stanford. Not only is the mocking of another state/university classless, they just looked like a bunch of idiots running around out there banging on things. One kid had a kitchen sink and another had a skateboard instead of a drum. Anyone with half of a brain would know that performance had no place in the Rose Bowl. That's why ESPN pulled the plug on their performance.

Personally, I lost a lot of respect for Stanford today as an institution. I knew their band was quirky, but what they did was stupid and they sounded terrible on top of it. Another poster mentioned spoiled little rich kids. We encountered a lot of this today. All before the game got away from Iowa so it's not sour grapes. And parents actually encouraging it which tells you everything you need to know. Lastly, Shaw coming out throwing deep with 2:30 left in a blowouts was classless. I know, I know if you don't like it then stop it but at that point you are trying to embarrass the other team, it's not about winning the game anymore. The Stanford fans around us were embarrassed that he didn't run out the clock.

Reactions: TankHawk
I posted this earlier but, California is responsible for the production and farming of more product(both in volume and variety) than Iowa does. There are and endless amount of topics the band could've chosen and they chose the one thing, they(Californians excel at).

The pregame joke went over peoples heads. The joke wasn't the pink locker rooms. It was the level of higher thinking and explanation in the dialogue. They used a lot of big words hoping it would fly over the Iowa fans heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalGuti
I posted this earlier but, California is responsible for the production and farming of more product(both in volume and variety) than Iowa does. There are and endless amount of topics the band could've chosen and they chose the one thing, they(Californians excel at).

The pregame joke went over peoples heads. The home wasn't the pink locker rooms. It was the level of higher thinking and explanation in the dialogue. They used a lot of big words hoping it would fly over the Iowa fans heads.

Not sure what's worse -- mocking the pink locker rooms or using "big words" in a patronizing way, assuming they'll go over the heads of those country bumpkins from fly-over country.

Reactions: spiderland
Not sure what's worse -- mocking the pink locker rooms or using "big words" in a patronizing way, assuming they'll go over the heads of those country bumpkins from fly-over country.
For a bunch of psuedo-intellectuals, their comedic timing and substance is chit.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I actually thought playing the farmersonly.com thing was funny, but some of the stuff they had going on was just weird. Saw one guy with a sink on his head. It was like a bad LSD trip.

Also think it's a little hypocritical that some of you are up in arms about Stanford making fun of the farming culture but refer to Iowa State as "Moo U".

Isn't the Stanford band the same bunch of idiots who went on the field during the Cal game and created a nice diversion in losing the famous game with all the laterals?

Pretty sure that was them.
The mascot is also some big foam fir tree.

That's all you need to know.

It was just so not funny. Yes Iowa is a rural state. And? Way too much butthurt from the Iowa fans. Stanford band embarrassed themselves a helluva lot more than they embarrassed the state of Iowa.

Most I did was just roll my eyes. It's not like they were offensive like the the K-St. band.

And Stanford's not so smart.
Their mocking 'Iowa' cow was a dairy cow -- and California leads the country in milk production!

Calm down. First, you are taking this whay to seriously. We have that Farmers Only commercial come on non stop here and hey guess what, our school is called the farm for a reason. We have cows, horses, and all that stuff. If Anything, Stanford is much more like Iowa than you think as we are very conservitive as a whole and are not scared to get our hands dirty. Also, farmers are doing just fine financially and if they are not they get nice subsidies. Your stereotypes about Stanford is just as bad as the band portraid tonight, except one was a joke.

This is probably true. But why do you let your band shit all over your reputation that way? The next time I hear somebody trying to compare Stanford to Harvard I'm just going to laugh.

I thought it was funny, but imagine the out cry if we made fun of gay hipsters.

This is SPOT ON..had the Iowa band done that? OMG imagine the outcry. It's ok to piss and moan about your civil rights if your homosexual, but make fun of it and look out! Sad state of affairs when you become the freak show for your conservative, bible belt approach.
However while in bad taste, I was much more pissed about how our team got curb stomped in the first half

Of course, they are quite superior to us simple farmers. Their band is not a band but a bunch of instrument players running around doing their own thing. Some of their fans are embarrassed by their band. We heard from some of them at the game.

After reading the list of their activities, they are equal opportunity offenders. They have some funny stuff. After the whole spotted owl thing, they went into Oregon and made formations like chain saws and chopped down trees. They went into USC and had a white Ford Bronco driving slowly around. (home of OJ, lest you forget).

Having been at the game, several things struck me about the Stanford band's performance and how it was perceived. 1) they aren't a marching band in the traditional sense of featuring group cohesion in marching, playing, or in their dress; 2) they use their platform to make negative statement(s) about their opponent; 3) they utllize the spoken word as part of the performance. I understand that this is their typical behavior.

Their pregame and halftime performances were in a similar vein, and neither was well-received by the majority of those in attendance. Because they don't play synchronized music or march in a synchronized manner or look, and because their dialogue wasn't clearly broadcast over the PA system, they just came across (to me, anyway) as a bunch of disrepectful, mean-spirited people. Whatever wittiness their dialogue may have had, was lost in translation. I have no idea how they were received by the TV audience. Unfortunately, because our team was significantly outplayed in the first half, the halftime performance only made the Iowa fans' mood worse. We also didn't have the luxury of changing the channel, muting the TV, etc.

I'm certain that Stanford band folks are nice people. The Rose Bowl officials and environment promoted a friendly, welcoming environment to their visitors. Given this, however, I suggest that the SMB reformat their approach, because their performance was anything but that. My two cents.

Very well-stated, jazzman. FYI, ESPN cut away from the view of the Stanford "band" as soon as they noticed they were mocking farmers. ESPN didn't show them long, for good reason. It wasn't clear from the TV coverage exactly how offensive their "performance" was, at least from my perspective. But I soon got a text from a friend who was there and couldn't believe the crap they pulled. It immediately became clear, from fans in attendance communicating with their friends and family, that what the Stanford "band" did wasn't cool.

I think your post is spot-on except for your statement that you're certain "that the Stanford band folks are nice people". Especially considering that this is what they routinely do, I'm not sure a "nice" person would have any interest. They look to me like a bunch of entitled, pompous fools. Pretty much the antithesis of "nice", IMO.

As for your description of the Rose Bowl, I find it perplexing that an event that otherwise promotes the positive things you describe would give these idiots a platform to do their schtick at all -- especially considering that Stanford has been there the last three years in a row. This wasn't a surprise to the Rose Bowl. They should have known what kind of crap they'd pull, and they should have prevented it by keeping them off the field, IMO.

I was in attendance. It was in very poor taste. I didn't really care, personally but it really was mean-spirited and distasteful. It's not the kind of thing you do at an event like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT