ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Halftime

millah_22

HR Legend
Jun 15, 2004
Omaha
Does anyone have a photo or video of what they did? A lot of tweets and Facebook posts saying they did something very offensive about Iowans and farmers. That's why they panned the camera away and many Iowa boos.

Does anyone have a photo or video of what they did? A lot of tweets and Facebook posts saying they did something very offensive about Iowans and farmers. That's why they panned the camera away and many Iowa boos.
Farmers only.com spoof

They had a cow running around with their tree, and made a giant farmer head shape with a frowny face.

Marc Morehouse just tweeted a link. Evidently they were playing the farmersonly.com jingle and the band made the shape of a heart and arrow, complete with someone in a cow costume running around the field.

Umm....I didn't realize iowa fans were so hyper sensitive.
I don't think most fans are that worked up about it but imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and the Iowa band tried to make fun of a stereotype about Stanford. If the Iowa band tried to mock how most Stanford home games include a bunch of Asian kids reading text books in the stands, do you think Stanford fans would be hyper sensitive about that? What Stanford stereotypes could our band make fun of that wouldn't result in a bunch of outrage?

Marc Morehouse just tweeted a link. Evidently they were playing the farmersonly.com jingle and the band made the shape of a heart and arrow, complete with someone in a cow costume running around the field.
How does anyone know what the jingle is? Are there TV or radio commercials I am missing?

in this day and age of craziness that is not very smart - stanford has been doing this sort of thing for years and some day something bad will happen because of it. Its your standard elite 'we are better than you' BS that well sooner or later set some crazy off.

I don't think most fans are that worked up about it but imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and the Iowa band tried to make fun of a stereotype about Stanford. If the Iowa band tried to mock how most Stanford home games include a bunch of Asian kids reading text books in the stands, do you think Stanford fans would be hyper sensitive about that? What Stanford stereotypes could our band make fun of that wouldn't result in a bunch of outrage?
An homage to earthquakes.

If Stanford's goal is to convince everyone that there band is highly medicated, then consider that goal achieved.

Guess what, after awhile acting incredibly stupid all the time, just becomes annoying, and well....stupid

Coming from a left coast school of love and tolerance would you expect anything less?

A friend of mine who was at the game was extremely pissed off about it. He's a low-key guy and not at all easily offended. Sounds to me like the Stanford "band" was way out of line and extremely disrespectful.

Sounds to me like Stanford needs to get its act together and provide some oversight of its "band" or just refuse to let them embarrass themselves on a football field again. Sounds like a pretty pathetic lack of institutional control to me. I'd expect better from Stanford, but maybe my expectations for them were too high.

Making generalizations about the school based on its geographic state. Which seems rather close minded and ignorant for a bunch of proclaimed smart kids.

Reactions: IaHawk44
Didnt KState do some sort of offensive show about Kansas. These bands (rather band leaders) are pushing it

I don't think it was intentional though. The were doing a tribute to Star Trek but the Enterprise looked like a huge D.

Stanford band's actions are intended to be disrespectful. School should be ashamed.

The stanford band had a big stage and they used it for that?

The funny thing with these left wing nut jobs, they think freedom of speech is great till they get their feelings hurt. Political correctness has gone too far but I have a feeling that America is going to be great again.

Guess they didn't know the farmer jokes went out of style when farmland broke the $10,000 an acre barrier.

Let me guess, 90% of them think obama has a clue and clinton is honest.
Just browsing here, but for the record, Furd is not really a liberal university. Their band is an equal opportunity offender.

Reactions: Gonzo3705
Stanford should be embarrassed but I doubt they were. It's just the mentality of them.

Just browsing here, but for the record, Furd is not really a liberal university. Their band is an equal opportunity offender.
Maybe not compared to Berkeley.

Their antics seem a little juvenile. Bet their school, alumni and parents are proud.

I can guarantee if those fricking nut jobs piss in a cup after their performance, half or more would have something illicit in their blood stream. Yes the Iowa faithful were not impressed. Wonder what those tofu eating douche bags would eat if we didn't grow soybeans.

To make matters worse we really laid a turd on he field today. Will be a long trip home on Sunday.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOhio
I don't think it was intentional though. The were doing a tribute to Star Trek but the Enterprise looked like a huge D.

Stanford band's actions are intended to be disrespectful. School should be ashamed.
Personally I think the KSU thing was very intentional. Just google it and watch the video if you haven't already.

Umm....I didn't realize iowa fans were so hyper sensitive.

Not everyone is. It was funny. It just hurt worse because Iowa played so badly the first half. Obviously the band had that ready to go long before the game started. I thought it was funny, but it was bad timing -- but only because Iowa laid an egg on the field. In other words ... Iowa has no one to blame but themselves for playing so poorly.

Reactions: Whinny
Maybe not compared to Berkeley.

Their antics seem a little juvenile. Bet their school, alumni and parents are proud.

As someone who has called Berkeley home, Stanford is much more conservative. VERY conservative, in fact. But aside from anything political, Stanford's band has always been confrontational. It's a thing out west to be that way. That's why everyone in the East Bay LOVES the famous "Stanford Band Play." :)

Making generalizations about the school based on its geographic state. Which seems rather close minded and ignorant for a bunch of proclaimed smart kids.

It's just normal college hi jinx, having fun. The half time performance would have been funny to everyone if it had been Iowa up 35-0 at halftime. The Stanford band was the least of Iowa's problems. Christian McCafferey, on the other hand ... WOW

ADVERTISEMENT