ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford head coach David Shaw resigns. Here's what he said . . .

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
"I prayed about it, I thought about it," Shaw said. "With every hour it seemed, it was more cemented in my head. The phrase that kept coming to me is: 'It's time.'"

Shaw, who is now 50 years old, believed it's time for a change.

"I am not burnt out," he said. "I'm healthy; I feel good. But 16 years is a long time . . . 16 years of running a program, 16 years of being responsible for everything and everybody catches up to you." See the story here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...A14BDVj?cvid=879ce0dba1f148f0bda6b0e6d8c70b2d

Meanwhile, back in Iowa City, old man Ferentz and his boy wonder keep churning on despite KF's 23 years as master of the Hawkeye universe. "What? Me retire and close down the family business? Ha!"

Theo Epstein, an imperfect human, ended long-time failures in Boston for the Red Sox and in Chicago for the Cubs. He has often said that ten years in one place is long enough. But KF knows that if ten is good thirty is quite a bit better.

It's past time for KF and his clan to bid a fond farewell to the Hawkeyes and take his millions and his fan club, led by AD Gary Barta, into retirement. With KF and Barta out of the picture, Iowa would at least have a chance to do what needs to be done to try and compete with USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and the rest of the new Big Ten and national landscape.

David Shaw looked at the facts and did the right thing for him personally and for the Stanford football program. But KF, the guy who once said he would never be one of those coaches that hangs on too long, continues to hang on too long.

"I prayed about it, I thought about it," Shaw said. "With every hour it seemed, it was more cemented in my head. The phrase that kept coming to me is: 'It's time.'"

"I am not burnt out," he said. "I'm healthy; I feel good. But 16 years is a long time . . . 16 years of running a program, 16 years of being responsible for everything and everybody catches up to you." See the story here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...A14BDVj?cvid=879ce0dba1f148f0bda6b0e6d8c70b2d

Meanwhile, back in Iowa City, old man Ferentz and his boy wonder keep churning on despite KF's 23 years as master of the Hawkeye universe. "What? Me retire and close down the family business? Ha!"

Theo Epstein, an imperfect human, ended long-time failures in Boston for the Red Sox and in Chicago for the Cubs. He has often said that ten years in one place is long enough. But KF knows that if ten is good thirty is quite a bit better.

It's past time for KF and his clan to bid a fond farewell to the Hawkeyes and take his millions and his fan club, led by AD Gary Barta, into retirement. With KF and Barta out of the picture, Iowa would at least have a chance to do what needs to be done to try and compete with USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and the rest of the new Big Ten and national landscape.

David Shaw looked at the facts and did the right thing for him personally and for the Stanford football program. But KF, the guy who once said he would never be one of those coaches that hangs on too long, continues to hang on too long.
Nick Saban should take the same approach and gtfo out of Tuscaloosa, yeah?...............

If he's not burned out, but just tired of running a program, Iowa should have an offensive coordinator job for him. Or is he a defensive guy? Would it matter at this point?

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess

David Shaw helps put our own situation into perspective. He's 17 years younger than Ferentz, thinks 16 years is long enough as HC. Ferentz will be at Iowa almost twice that long if he stays until 2029. The difference is that Shaw puts the football program before himself, has class, knows when to exit. Ferentz has none of those attributes and has no shame.

One thing he said touches on something I find very impressive tho. The comment about “things catching up.” If you do something long enough, you’re going to see challenges and some decisions come back to bite you, no matter the level of success.

Whether it’s in sports or in business or wherever, I have always had respect for leaders that take accountability for those things and find a new path forward. So many coaches like Kiffin or Freeze or “insert your favorite example here” jump ship before the $hit catches up to them…. Coaches like that CANT last 16 or 23 years in one place because something egregious enough will (and has) caught up with them. Just seems odd to me that someone like Freeze would get another chance after the infractions against him.

To be fair Stanford is coming off of back 2 back 3-9 seasons which is a lot different than 10-4, 7-5. Our best option IMO is to keep defense and special teams as is and have Kirk outsource the offense to someone who can bring some decent results and can help land an athletic qb in portal, not that he would ever do that but that's what a coach who cares about competing for a bten title would do. We will see how much he cares soon

I'm really not sure why people are getting so worked up. If they can beat a mediocre team in the crap bowl they play in that's 8-5 which is almost exactly Kirk's winning pct at Iowa. This is just par for the course under KF, seems a lot of people have bad memories.

4 bad, losing seasons in a row will do that to you

To be fair Stanford is coming off of back 2 back 3-9 seasons which is a lot different than 10-4, 7-5. Our best option IMO is to keep defense and special teams as is and have Kirk outsource the offense to someone who can bring some decent results and can help land an athletic qb in portal, not that he would ever do that but that's what a coach who cares about competing for a bten title would do. We will see how much he cares soon

I'm really not sure why people are getting so worked up. If they can beat a mediocre team in the crap bowl they play in that's 8-5 which is almost exactly Kirk's winning pct at Iowa. This is just par for the course under KF, seems a lot of people have bad memories.
People on this website are constantly in different states of meltdown, it's nothing new.

So, let's say you are working at your job and have been there for 25 years. In your career you've had some success - several years in which you accomplished a lot and some that were so-so, not what the company expects of your performance.

You love what you do and you are convinced you are good at it. You make a lot of money too. You feel like you have more to give and want the chance to do it. You are far from convinced that someone new can come in and do better than you.

So, you would quit? You'd decide that there might be someone that can do better so you walk away?

Really?

So, let's say you are working at your job and have been there for 25 years. In your career you've had some success - several years in which you accomplished a lot and some that were so-so, not what the company expects of your performance.

You love what you do and you are convinced you are good at it. You make a lot of money too. You feel like you have more to give and want the chance to do it. You are far from convinced that someone new can come in and do better than you.

So, you would quit? You'd decide that there might be someone that can do better so you walk away?

Really?
Spot on.

And to add to your scenario:

You have publicly stated you really have no other hobbies and you wouldn't know what else you'd do and being a coach is your life

One thing he said touches on something I find very impressive tho. The comment about “things catching up.” If you do something long enough, you’re going to see challenges and some decisions come back to bite you, no matter the level of success.

Whether it’s in sports or in business or wherever, I have always had respect for leaders that take accountability for those things and find a new path forward. So many coaches like Kiffin or Freeze or “insert your favorite example here” jump ship before the $hit catches up to them…. Coaches like that CANT last 16 or 23 years in one place because something egregious enough will (and has) caught up with them. Just seems odd to me that someone like Freeze would get another chance after the infractions against him.
Accountability is everything in life (imho anyway), and the best leaders always own “everything”. One of my favorite quotes is from Samuel Beckett. Ever tried ever failed? Fail again. Fail better.

I wish KF was a Samuel Beckett fan lol.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene

Really?
Yeah, not me.

I can't say I have followed Stanford other than the one game that shall not be discussed. Did they have any staff turnover?

I know its kind of a hard place to get noticed and maybe to get kids to go there. The Northwestern of California.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
You think Saban would have won any Championships at Iowa? How many did he win at MSU?
You think Ferentz has the success at Alabama that Nick has had-- or anything close to it? LOL

Here's the deal: Saban has won huge in college football's premier conference. Kirk has been decent to good in the Power 5s worst division in football. But a homer Tavern Hawk like you refuses to want to believe it.

You're a broken record.

You think Ferentz has the success at Alabama that Nick has had-- or anything close to it? LOL

Here's the deal: Saban has won huge in college football's premier conference. Kirk has been decent to good in the Power 5s worst division in football. But a homer Tavern Hawk like you refuses to want to believe it.
I don’t know if you coined it but the phrase “tavern hawk” is a perfect description.

I’m stealing it.

I don’t know if you coined it but the phrase “tavern hawk” is a perfect description.

I’m stealing it.
You must be new to the planet. He/she definitely didn’t coin it, and shouldn’t be calling a fellow hawk fan that unless he/she is making fun of ISU. This board gets more and more dim every time I visit! 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: Herklejerk

The Athletic has an article about Shaw's resignation. It looks like they been working on the story for a while because they have some background to the Stanford situation. I'll post the link if you have a subscription (which I highly recommend) and a couple brief excerpts from the article that struck me as having similarities or parallels to the Iowa situation. The full article should be read to get the feel for the similarities. These excerpts are presented not to advocate any position concerning the Iowa situation but the similarities jumped out to me as perhaps being worth discussion.

https://theathletic.com/3929164/2022/11/28/stanford-football-david-shaw/

Similarities include:

Promoting internal assistants resulted in performance decreases. "The year after Bloomgren left, Stanford plummeted from 30th to 123rd nationally in yards per carry despite the presence of Love and three offensive linemen — Drew Dalman, Walker Little and Nate Herbig — who now play in the NFL. Last season, the Cardinal ranked 126th."

Great strength coach leaving. “Taking the Rope was the brainchild of Turley . . . Turley would win two national strength coach of the year awards and become Stanford’s director of sports performance for all of the school’s 36 sports …

“He was a very hard-line accountability guy, and you understood you had to hold up to that standard or he’d let it be known you were failing the team,” …“He’d be comfortable calling you out in front of the guys.”

Strength coached dismissed after complaint. “When players returned from winter break, Turley was gone. He had been placed on administrative leave as the university investigated an anonymous complaint brought against him, reportedly by a player. In April 2019, the university announced Turley had been dismissed. "

Rhabo similarities.
“By 2017, Turley’s approach was drawing scrutiny from school administrators. Taking the Rope was scaled back to a five-minute version due to complaints from players and parents and was eventually scrapped after at least one upperclassman passed out.”

Transfer portal. "But the crisis at that position began in the offseason, when Stanford’s top two returning rushers [Comment added: = Iowa receivers.], Austin Jones (now at USC) and Nathaniel Peat (Missouri), entered the transfer portal.

Shaw said he believed this year’s team, led by returning quarterback Tanner McKee, could challenge for a conference title. A sobering reality check came Week 2 against USC, a team Stanford routed 42-28 the year before. Led by quarterback Caleb Williams and several other high-profile transfers, the Trojans won 41-28 in Palo Alto.

“What I didn’t know until we started the season,” he said, “was how much the transfer portal had really bolstered our competition. … The ability in college football right now to put together an All-Star Team is daunting.”

“That drill had its time,” said Shaw. “Over time, that was one of those things that collectively we looked at and said, ‘We need to find another way to do this.’”

Would disagree. Kirk has had a good run in the past 7-8 years. If our bad year is 7-5, I think we will survive. We have a lot of good players coming back next year. Go Hawks !

Reactions: LinusPF

Maybe he was tired of playing games in an empty stadium?
Maybe he was not up to the hot mess that is hitting college football right now?
Bidding on players, etc.
Maybe he is a poor loser? His program seems to be heading to the dumpster.
Maybe he foresees his conference going down a shithole (it is)
He will be back somewhere else soon. Bank on it.

His teams were awful for 4 years running, pretty sure he didn't need to pray.

Bama has won national titles with 5 different coaches, they are set way ahead of Iowa's Program before any coach takes the field. This is how unreasonable expectations are born.

I have a good friend who is really good at what he does and never stays at one company longer than 5 years. Does that mean that I shouldn’t stay at a company for 10 years?

Shaw gave his reasons for walking away, he wasn’t giving a speech on the universal truisms on coaching.
boom smile GIF

Thanks hawkifann! Every situation is different with many institutional leaders and fans demanding change with the “flavor of the month” usually flamed by national media talking heads. But they parrot social media or vice versa anyway.
We do need to look at offensive changes and KF is absent of action.
That’s what I will say.

Reactions: hawkifann
Oh cmon man, 1-1 vs Saban? Really? You know this doesn't mean diddly squat.
Sure it does. It means Saban lost one more game than he should have....and for that it makes him a failure. No amount of national titles or COTYs can change what you are. :cool: (Maybe don't lose to Kirk Ferentz next time.....)

See Aaron Rodgers for an example. Take away the winning, (and a competitive roster.......), and that one Super Bowl trophy and the discount double checks, and you're just left with a spiteful douche of a human being. ;)

boom smile GIF

Thanks hawkifann! Every situation is different with many institutional leaders and fans demanding change with the “flavor of the month” usually flamed by national media talking heads. But they parrot social media or vice versa anyway.
We do need to look at offensive changes and KF is absent of action.
That’s what I will say.
The thought isn’t without merit. Some people do get a bit stir crazy staying in the same place. The post I responded to also mentioned Theo Epstein - Theo is an amazing visionary and builder. He is world class at that - but both the Red Sox and Cubs struggled with sustaining on the back half of his time at both places. He’s a Hall of Famer, no doubt, but he’s HOF because of his ability to completely redraft an organization. I’d hire him today to rebuild an organization, but he wouldn’t be my first pick to take a solid contender and take them higher or to sustain a champ, that’s not where his skills are.

All that to say, some people are very well-designed to stay in one place and others often feel the need to jump.

He labored in mostly obscurity for 16 years. God rest his soul. Fantastic weather though. His home value probably tripled in that time.

Maybe another consideration from Shaw was the last 4 years his record is 14 - 28! With no bowl games.

Take a guess at KF's record during that time ...

Maybe when one coach wins 71% of their games, including a Division Championship, and goes to bowl games every year and is being compared to a guy who won 33% of his games in the same time frame and couldn't get his team to a bowl game, there is a problem with your narrative.

It's more likely Shaw was given the dignity to "resign" rather than be fired.

No one cares what you think

Reactions: Hawktagonapus

I can think of numerous politicians who think 23 years is just getting started!

Why don't you quit being a fan? It's time.

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT