ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley Combine Workout numbers

hawkquiz

HR All-State
Jan 27, 2007
ran a 4.81 forty
28.5 inch vertical
105 inch I think it was, broad jump (lowest of any qb)

Overall better than I expected. Hopefully he throws well

Reactions: loper
Throwing has been erratic. Seems like he tries to aim the ball instead of just throw it. Thinking too much about it.

Throwing has been erratic. Seems like he tries to aim the ball instead of just throw it. Thinking too much about it.
Dochterman has a story in the Athletic about how he went to NJ to work with a QB guru to work on his throwing motion, technique, etc.
I will try and post it, not sure if you’ll be able to access w/o a subscription.
How a QB whisperer and refined mechanics have Nate Stanley ready for the combine
https://theathletic.com/1635438/2020/02/25/nate-stanley-iowa-quarterback-nfl-combine/

Reactions: crstuff
Definitely got a faster time than I expected. And Definitely think he will be picked in the later rounds. Just has to be in the right situation.

I think that was pretty much Stanley in a nutshell right there. You can't hide inaccuracy and it was his Achilles heel is entire career.

You don't just overcome that after a months work getting ready for the combine

Reactions: crstuff
He threw about what I expected at the combine. That's just not good enough. Strong arm, great kid. Just not very accurate and to make it in the NFL you have to be accurate
So have you seen some of the guys who are NFL backups? Believe me there are guys who wish they had the career that Stanley has had, and their not anymore accurate then him. If the leagues so full of really good QB's then why to they keep moving the retreads from team to team? Why is the top free agent everyone's talking about a 43 year old guy who's on his last leg? Believe me, if the GOAT still had game the Pats wouldn't be letting him head on down the road. Nate's tenure running an NFL style offense on the field for three years is going to get him drafted. He may never start a game, but he'll be in the league for awhile.

I love KOK but shouldn't that be his gig?

KOK isn't a QB mechanics expert. He was primarily our OC, and de facto QB coach.

With the Dolphins, he was a WR coach for 4 years. If he was a QB whisperer, they wouldn't have him coaching WR.

The reasons these guys exists is because not every coach is an expert on everything.

The "good news" for Stanley is that so many NFL QBs get hurt each year. Developing backups and practice squad guys is pretty important these days. Very few QBs make it through the entire season without getting hurt in some way at some point during the season. Then again, that's every position in the NFL.

The "good news" for Stanley is that so many NFL QBs get hurt each year. Developing backups and practice squad guys is pretty important these days. Very few QBs make it through the entire season without getting hurt in some way at some point during the season. Then again, that's every position in the NFL.
I have to disagree with you concerning QB safety compared to other positions. The new rules in place make it quite difficult to get hurt in the pocket and they now have two refs watching for them. Most QB's are injured by avoiding the rush or actually running the ball. Defensive rushers have to go for the waist area. If they hit below the knees or touch the head/neck area it is a penalty.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I'd love to see him land in a place like Indy with Frank Reich. I'm a fan of Nate and think he's been unfairly criticized throughout his career. Maybe I have a bit of a bias, but i believe he will get his shot and will have a very nice NFL career.

He's so far ahead of many QB's in his football IQ alone. Throw in his size, arm strength, experience in a pro-style offense...the kid is a winner.

I have to disagree with you concerning QB safety compared to other positions. The new rules in place make it quite difficult to get hurt in the pocket and they now have two refs watching for them. Most QB's are injured by avoiding the rush or actually running the ball. Defensive rushers have to go for the waist area. If they hit below the knees or touch the head/neck area it is a penalty.

I'm really just going off of how many QBs have been hurt the last few years and how many backups have had to start for significant portions of the season. Look at last year:

--Detroit without Stafford for the last, what, 8 or so games?
--Drew Brees was out for five or six games
--Cam Newton: Did he start even two games last year?
--Sam Darnold was out for at least a month
--Joe Flacco was out the last part of the year (which turned out to be a good thing for the Broncos)
--Ben Roethlisberger missed most of the year
--Nick Foles went down (which wasn't a bad thing)
--Mahomes missed three or four games
--Trubiskey missed time with an injury
--Matt Ryan missed one game

That's one-third of the NFL starting QBs missing games due to injury last year. Combine that with bad QB play and/or guys getting benched for sucking:

--Mason Rudolph (backup to Ben R.) getting benched
--Eli Manning loses spot to D. Jones
--Cincinnati Bengals (bad QBs everywhere)
--Miami Dolphins (only Fitz is remotely playable)
--Marcus Mariotta loses spot to Tannehill
--Brandon Allen (backup for Broncos) benched for D. Lock

It's staggering to realize that nearly half the NFL teams' starting QBs were either injured or just terrible. There will always be room for new QBs getting drafted to replace the injured or the guys that failed to perform. There's always three or four teams who wind up being out of the hunt because of QB injuries or subpar performances from once-good QBs. And then there are guys like Tannehill that revive teams (and their careers) by finally playing in a system that works to their strengths.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Not sure it was a good idea to go to a QB guru that made changes to his mechanics. His mechanics were pretty decent in college. Not perfect, but effective for the most part. Making changes at this stage of his career might just screw him up.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Unimpressive numbers, but not unsurprising. Not the sort of performance that would pique the interest of player personnel evaluators nor likely to give them more concern than they already might have had.

6th to 7th round selection and if not that then UDFA.

Dochterman has a story in the Athletic about how he went to NJ to work with a QB guru to work on his throwing motion, technique, etc.
I will try and post it, not sure if you’ll be able to access w/o a subscription.
How a QB whisperer and refined mechanics have Nate Stanley ready for the combine
https://theathletic.com/1635438/2020/02/25/nate-stanley-iowa-quarterback-nfl-combine/

It seems like every year there are multiple stories about a college player getting specialized coaching after their careers are over to fix some defect in their technique, etc.

My question is...why is it that these defects are surfaced only AFTER their college days are over? How come the multiple position specific coaches can't solve the riddle of how to throw or shoot a ball over 5 years of college?

Is it because the facilities are not up to snuff? I hope not, many college facilities these days look better than NASA.

Is it because the coaches are not compensated well enough? With even some ASSISTANT coaches making 7 figures...I wouldn't think so.

It’s because not every staff has coaches who know how to identify and/or correct specific issues like Nate’s. KOK is a fine guy, and all, but a QB whisper he is not.

A lot of coaches know a decent amount about a wide variety of things, but it’s likely there are fewer coaches than you’ think that have a deep knowledge about how to fix throwing mechanics, too few to go around, and Kirk is NOT going to be thinking like that. That much we do know.

It’s because not every staff has coaches who know how to identify and/or correct specific issues like Nate’s. KOK is a fine guy, and all, but a QB whisper he is not.

A lot of coaches know a decent amount about a wide variety of things, but it’s likely there are fewer coaches than you’ think that have a deep knowledge about how to fix throwing mechanics, too few to go around, and Kirk is NOT going to be thinking like that. That much we do know.

You could be right on, I really don't have an explanation. But...if you were the CEO(head coach) of a major, multi-multi million dollar enterprise(a D1 FB program) and your star employee(QB) had a noticeable performance issue(consistent accuracy)...wouldn't you bring someone in to work with them and solve that problem when they are say a sophomore...as opposed to after their senior year?

KOK isn't a QB mechanics expert. He was primarily our OC, and de facto QB coach.

With the Dolphins, he was a WR coach for 4 years. If he was a QB whisperer, they wouldn't have him coaching WR.

The reasons these guys exists is because not every coach is an expert on everything.
Let's not kid ourselves on KOK. He is training Brian. Stanley even said they did nothing for his mechanics. You nailed it though!

UDFA then practice squad is my guess. I think Nate can play in the league but he needs a good dice roll with where he ends up.
There are 32 teams, so only 64 NFL QB jobs and the competition is tough. Add another 32 for practice squad and there are only 96 NFL QB;s.

First, how can I get one of these QB ‘whisperer’ throwing ‘mechanics’ jobs? Talking about a gravy train for harvesting suckers. I don’t even have to show any results as I can blame it on the ‘too late’ to change bad habits factor.

Nate could somehow rattle off 10 straight with all of these ‘mechanics’ issues. Never mind he was just a streaky player and had issues when the pocket broke down.

I'd trade for Beathard before drafting Stanley, but that's just an indication of how hard it is to land a job as QB on an NFL roster. Wish Stanley great luck and success with his opportunity.

Was that in a combine interview? Other interview?

I want to say before the combine because KXNO was talking about it on the Fanatics one night last and there was major disbelief we have a QB coach that did nothing to address his accuracy or mechanics.

I want to say before the combine because KXNO was talking about it on the Fanatics one night last and there was major disbelief we have a QB coach that did nothing to address his accuracy or mechanics.

“I never really worked with anybody (on mechanics),” Stanley said. “I was just throwing a football like I would throw a baseball when I was a kid.”

Stanley added that the focus at Iowa was primarily on strategy and less about mechanics.

Wow... seems a miss on kf’s part

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Unimpressive numbers, but not unsurprising. Not the sort of performance that would pique the interest of player personnel evaluators nor likely to give them more concern than they already might have had.

6th to 7th round selection and if not that then UDFA.

Unimpressive? I’m very impressed he outran Eppy.

How can there be so many clueless people? It doesn't matter sometimes what you do for someone and their mechanics. You can have fantastic mechanics but if you don't have touch all the help with mechanics in the world doesn't make a difference.

You can pnly teach things like that to a certain point. In the end it's god-given natural ability.

Don't overcomplicate it and blame coaches. I've seen numerous guys screwed up more than helped when people start tinkering with arm action and mechanics

Reactions: And1Hawk

Tim Tebow won a Heisman and NFL never liked his throwing motion and in fact he did not do well in NFL. I think it is up to the college QB himself/family to seek out expert help. Position coach is not going to be much help. Position coach at most schools doesn't mean leading expert---and in Iowa case and nearly all programs, there is not a QB expert on staff.

If you look at Basketball...Luka Garza ..his father has really assisted his development with his own coaching and seeking out experts for Luka..and of course Luka is ultra talented/has elite work ethic. It is not like Fran or the staff has taught Luka his post moves or sent him to Hawaii for personal workout programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT