ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley Passing Yds - Over/Under

Aug 19, 2013
2772 passing yards

219/390 @ 12.43 yards per completion

25 TDs

assumes 13 healthy games and a good running game.

Winner gets to say they were the winner...........because we cannot wager in Iowa.

65 plays/game * 45% passing = 29 att/game

Guessing about 57% completion rate so overall 215/377

Guessing 7.1 yards/att * 377att = 2676 total yards

22 TDs

Cries of "QB DEGRESSION!!!" despite better qb rating and looking far better than the previous year.

Reactions: ichawk24

22 TDs

Cries of "QB DEGRESSION!!!" despite better qb rating and looking far better than the previous year.
Your math is wrong. You multiplied by the amount of attempts to get total yards instead of the amount of completions. Should have also used yards/completion instead of yards/attempt. Stanley’s last year was 12.41ish

Yeah- I'm saying that Brian gets in touch with his inner "Air Raid" and Nate puts up 4,683 yds - before the bowl game. Brandon and Noah get 900+, Ihmir, Nick and T.J. each come in over 600, the fullbacks get 100, the RB 's get another 600 and the newbies get the other 383. 31 Touchdowns. So I guess I'm going with the Over ;-)

Your math is wrong. You multiplied by the amount of attempts to get total yards instead of the amount of completions. Should have also used yards/completion instead of yards/attempt. Stanley’s last year was 12.41ish
Nah - be careful with units. The calculation was sound. You can calculate the total yards either way.

total # of completions * yards per completion = total yards
OR
total # of attempts * yards per attempt = total yards

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Would love to see him him 3000 yards this year. That would mean Fant, T.J. and one of the WRs had a great year.

Please, please, please.

Reactions: Harbinger273

22 TDs

Many of the numbers seem accurate ... however, I'd arguably lump Stanley among Iowa's better Ferentz era QBs. If you look at the progression of O'Keefe mentored QBs ... if all else remains equal, the QBs always improve. If you look at the guys surrounding Stanley ... the group is pretty "steady" compared to last year. The quality is comparable ... if not improved. Thus, assuming Stanley remains healthy, here's my stab at the numbers ....

Ferentz Era Os typically land around 66+ plays per game in "better offensive years." I anticipate that the '18 O will likely be an above-average O for the Hawks. Thus, I'd estimate around 68 plays/game.

The 45% passing sounds about right. In years when we're stronger running the ball ... that number usually drifts down closer to 40%. In years when we have a passer like Tate, the number can nearly hit 50%. Given that Stanley should be improved AND given that the RBs are still a bit on the young side - 45% passing strikes me to be in the correct ball-park.

Stanley had a lot of passes dropped ... but also there were timing issues last year too. There are a myriad of factors that impacted the completion percentage. Stanley was oft pressured ... that impacted the O by forcing more hurried throws. Iowa's early running downs rarely seemed to keep us ahead of the sticks ... so that emboldened opposing Ds to be more aggressive. Stanley was learning a new offensive system ... that impacted how quickly and consistently he'd execute. Brian was a new OC ... and it marked his first time calling games ... the learning curve there invariably impacted the situations his new QB was subjected to. Stanley was engaged in a protracted QB competition during the off-season ... that impacted how many snaps he received with the #1s. This too potentially impacted timing and chemistry with the receiving targets. Lastly, Copeland was a new WR coach for the Hawks ... he too was getting his feet wet learning how things would work within the program (and with his new set of players).

Given the above considerations, I think that puts Stanley's completion percentage of 55.8% clearly in focus. I don't think that we'll see a ridiculous jump in his percentage ... but I know that the objective is to get it over 60%. My guess is that it lands in the ball-park of 61%.

Stanley's yards per attempt was pretty low .... a measly 6.94 yards per attempt. The numbers were a little more characteristic of Greg Davis's O as compared to O'Keefe's O. Given that the new O is a variant of O'Keefe's O ... I'd attribute the lower YPA to it being a schematic "transition year." A more characteristic number should land closer to the ball-park of 7.5 YPA (in better years it's in the upper 7s or higher).

Going off of these numbers:

68 plays/game * 45% passing = 30.6 att/game

Guessing about 61% completion rate so overall 242/397 (assuming 13 games)

Guessing 7.5 yards/att * 397att = 2977 total yards

27 TDs (TD numbers perhaps not substantially higher because of more rushing TDs)

Reactions: kceasthawk
Stanley's yards per attempt was pretty low .... a measly 6.94 yards per attempt. The numbers were a little more characteristic of Greg Davis's O as compared to O'Keefe's O. Given that the new O is a variant of O'Keefe's O ... I'd attribute the lower YPA to it being a schematic "transition year." A more characteristic number should land closer to the ball-park of 7.5 YPA (in better years it's in the upper 7s or higher).
If he had connected on a fair amount of deep throws, he probably would have been around 7.5. You can't just put it on the scheme. No scheme is gonna help if execution is poor. Other teams aren't gonna care if guys get open downfield if we can't capitalize on it.

If he had connected on a fair amount of deep throws, he probably would have been around 7.5. You can't just put it on the scheme. No scheme is gonna help if execution is poor. Other teams aren't gonna care if guys get open downfield if we can't capitalize on it.
That's why I put it more on it being a "transition year" ... with it being the first year of implementation, the level of execution was poorer than usual. I agree ... I wouldn't have chalked the difference in YPA to scheme.

I'm predicting a 3,000 yd 30 td season. Sho hope I'm right. We need to get that QB regression monkey of the programs back and have a truely potent passing attack. Putting it all together offensively would put the Team over the edge and likely win us a BTC!

I believe history shows that Iowa let's a quarterback go a bit in his first year before really cranking up the NO TURNOVER pressure the following year(s) ahead of all other goals...therefore I predict 1800 yards, 12 touchdowns and 2 turnovers.

I think he may end up like Rudock's first 2 years:
345 att
60% completion
7 Yds/Att
2400 yds
17 TD
Rudock had 389 Att, 64%, and 20 TD his last year. I think Stanley will do better than this his SR year. Our receivers will be better and Nate will be better then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT