ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley

Oct 15, 2014
seems to be our designated QB next year. Why?
Love to hear your evaluation. Our program's future in his hands. Comments?

Not to be a knuckle head but whoever handles the run game next year will be just fine. Iowa has a few more playmakers on the edges next year and I think Fant will blossom into a stud. He and Vandy will be a mess to deal with next season

He's very talented and very mature. Hopefully the game will slow down for him a bit. There may be a few bumps in the road along the way, but he will be more than capable.

I'm pumped for Stanley. He's got a cannon of an arm, and showed in the NDSU game that he's capable of putting touch on the ball too. Hopefully the offensive line does a better job of giving him protection than they have the past few years with our QB's.

Reactions: hawkbleeder
So far the only negative I've heard on him is he has troubling identifying blitzes..
But the pros super strong arm, threw in the 90s on his baseball team. Great understanding of the offense. Accurate passer as well.
Still think weigers will push him for the spot. He has a big arm too.

flat-stanley2.jpg

Ive heard he can be a little flat in practice and but does have the ability to get skinny through a hole when he runs the ball.

It won't matter who is under center if receivers can't get any separation like last year. That's not to be negative or point out the obvious but its just the cold hard truth. Nobody can be expected to have success when nobody is open and the pocket collapses in 2 seconds every passing down. We had an NFL caliber QB running around for his life with nobody to throw to. Realistically, Stanley's upside will be similar to CJB but the difference will be how BF can scheme to his game and make him the most comfortable.

I agree with the previous poster that Fant will be a key to the season. We need him to be a security blanket for Stanley. Carve up the defense underneath then take shots with that big arm off play action just like the old days. The keys are protection and separation.

It won't matter who is under center if receivers can't get any separation like last year. That's not to be negative or point out the obvious but its just the cold hard truth. Nobody can be expected to have success when nobody is open and the pocket collapses in 2 seconds every passing down. We had an NFL caliber QB running around for his life with nobody to throw to. Realistically, Stanley's upside will be similar to CJB but the difference will be how BF can scheme to his game and make him the most comfortable.

I agree with the previous poster that Fant will be a key to the season. We need him to be a security blanket for Stanley. Carve up the defense underneath then take shots with that big arm off play action just like the old days. The keys are protection and separation.

Agree 100% if our WR's can't get open we are screwed.

I think you will see BF bring back the passing over the middle and also the "rub/pick" plays that work in the NFL so well. I really think BF will be a HUGE upgrade over GD. He was all about the sideline and horizontal passing game which never made any sense to me.

Agree 100% if our WR's can't get open we are screwed.

I think you will see BF bring back the passing over the middle and also the "rub/pick" plays that work in the NFL so well. I really think BF will be a HUGE upgrade over GD. He was all about the sideline and horizontal passing game which never made any sense to me.

I think we'll see a lot more open receivers next year simply due to the different design/concepts of the offense. For the same reason, I'm hesitant to label our current crop of WRs and bad/mediocre simply because I don't think we've seen what they're really capable of. Let's (hopefully) get them in a system that better suits their skills and see what they can do.

So far the only negative I've heard on him is he has troubling identifying blitzes..
But the pros super strong arm, threw in the 90s on his baseball team. Great understanding of the offense. Accurate passer as well.
Still think weigers will push him for the spot. He has a big arm too.
Understanding of the offense under GD... how much will it change under the new OC (and assistants) is too see.

I'd rather have someone solidly in the 1 spot now instead of a prolonged position battle. Stanley appears to be the guy, and looks good from the little he's been able to show. He's going to need all the reps he can get. Works for me.

Stanley will succeed because of the O-line. I think they will be better this year. I also think that there will be more of a down field passing presence. Plus play action with Wadley should open up the passing game. Also heard Hochenson Kid is looking really good and people are struggling to defend him. Him and Fant at TE should really help. Maybe this year we will actually use the middle of the field.

It appears that Stanley has a high football IQ and picked most everything faster than most young QBs do. I'm guessing we are going to throw to the RBs out of the backfield with Wadley and Toks being good receivers. If our WRs get some separation there is little doubt about Stanley's ability to hit them right on the numbers.

With Matt back, KOK liking tight ends which we have in place ( we hope), and running backs who can catch it I expect Stanley will have better options then CJ did after Matt went down.

We now have a burner on the outside who can become a viable decoy at the minimum.

Stanley has a big arm and while he'll likely suffer a pick 6 or two while learning, he'll make some wow plays too. He's said to be adequately mobile and probably will make decisions as quick or quicker then CJ in game one.

Reactions: map0514
He appears to be a pocket passer. Hopefully he gets rid of the ball quickly and Iowa does something in passing scheme to enable someone to be be open.

Nate Stanley just needs to be smart and play within himself. He, or whoever is under center for Iowa, doesn't need to win games, just don't lose them. With Iowa's oline and backs next year, that's where this offense will be highlighted. Move the chains and don't throw it to the other team.

We have the depth at TE to bring back our 3 TE set that we have used in years past. Our good running game and TEs could create matchup issues for the D.

Nate Stanley just needs to be smart and play within himself. He, or whoever is under center for Iowa, doesn't need to win games, just don't lose them. With Iowa's oline and backs next year, that's where this offense will be highlighted. Move the chains and don't throw it to the other team.
I can agree with wanting him to play smart. I would not coach my players to take the attitude of playing not to lose.

I can agree with wanting him to play smart. I would not coach my players to take the attitude of playing not to lose.

It's not playing "not to lose". It's understanding where your bread is buttered offensively, especially next season. Where are you most experienced next year offensively? Your offensive line and Wadley. What is the oline best at? Run blocking. Ride the running game and feed off it with everything else.

It's not playing "not to lose". It's understanding where your bread is buttered offensively, especially next season. Where are you most experienced next year offensively? Your offensive line and Wadley. What is the oline best at? Run blocking. Ride the running game and feed off it with everything else.
I was picking out your "just not lose" words. I agree wholeheartedly with this. Play-safe mentality is not the same as emphasizing your strengths, as you espouse.

Hopefully, he knows how to slide as a QB. With new rule on sliding, it is prudent for a QB to be able to slide. C.J. couldn't slide well at all.

#Until

Or don't, because sliding late is the most efficient way to pick up a concussion by bouncing your head off the turf. The new rule is terrible for the health of QBs because it incentives late slides when the defensive player can't pull up in time. Sure you get a cheap ejection, but you also get your QB a concussion.

The game would be safer if they removed the slide completely, poorly thought out rule that is being abused in a dangerous manner.

It's possible that there are enough tweeks to the offense that Tyler wins the job. With a new QB coach he might see things differently. I fully expect Nate to be the guy, but you never know.

I'm sure the decision will be in place before fall camp opens.

seems to be our designated QB next year. Why?
Love to hear your evaluation. Our program's future in his hands. Comments?
I believe Stanley has a leg up on the others. But, I wouldn't be surprised if another QB steps up. We will have different system, new OC, new QB coach.

It's possible that there are enough tweeks to the offense that Tyler wins the job. With a new QB coach he might see things differently. I fully expect Nate to be the guy, but you never know.

Does Tyler even stick around if he isn't #1 coming out of spring camp? Still has time left to transfer.

The QB, the passing game, receiver effectiveness, etc., are all mysteries at this point. But, since the Hawks were almost last in passing, I'm going out on a limb and suggest it will be better in '17.

Reactions: kceasthawk

In the past KF has often stated after spring drills that "it's to close to call at this point and it will be decided in the fall". This is to keep #2 around and not transfer.

I did enjoy listening to Ken O'Keefe's press conference. Someone asked him, essentially, whether he had studied up on the quarterbacks, and he responded by saying that he had watched all 12 of Stanley's throws.

He was exaggerating, of course, since Stanley only attempted 9 passes. ;-)

The valid point is that none of the QBs has a significant experience advantage over the others. Stanley's advantage is that we saw 2 good throws during a meaningful point of a close game. We haven't seen that from anyone else. But it is only 2 throws.

I would also add that taking unnecessary deep shots is not always advantageous either, pretty sure I heard a stat that Brady was like 2 for his last 35 pass attempts over 20 yards. Although our fanbase is anti check down, NE is king at check downs. ALso probably not a bad idea to check down to the Wad next year

Think Fant could line up at WR?
Who knows. But i really think BF will model alot after NE and KOK is a good offensive mind and now has 5 yrs of NFL experience under his belt. At WR coach no less. Huge IMO

My feeling is that KF is out of the offensive design portion now and more of a CEO as far as what takes place. Bf and KOK have the con. (ImO)

ADVERTISEMENT