ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley

Stanley has good height and should be able to see the middle routes better than CJ. That will help the tight ends.

seems to be our designated QB next year. Why?
Love to hear your evaluation. Our program's future in his hands. Comments?
Here is the simple answer:
He came in as a True Freshman and won the #2 job last year over the other QB on the roster. He won the job even though the coach has traditionally been heavily slanted to upperclassmen and redshirting freshman. That indicates the coaches think there was clear separation on who was the better player in practice.

As far as how good he is, he's a true Soph with limited snaps and an unproved WR corps. Expect some bumps.

I would also add that taking unnecessary deep shots is not always advantageous either, pretty sure I heard a stat that Brady was like 2 for his last 35 pass attempts over 20 yards. Although our fanbase is anti check down, NE is king at check downs. ALso probably not a bad idea to check down to the Wad next year
I dunno, in that second half I saw him sitting unhurried in the pocket and lopping it to wide open receivers. Atlanta was rolling with the patented "No Rush No Coverage" defense.

I want any QB to find and hit the open guy. Some protection and separation will help that cause. I want playcalling that uses the whole field. Hit short, hit deep, hit outside, hit inside. Scratch where it itches, you might say. NE is king at scratching where it itches.

All I needed to know about Stanley was that one pass he threw in an early game, maybe it was NDSU. It was his first play in the game deep into the 3rd quarter after CJ took a bad hit scrambling for a 1st down.

It was a play action left hash where he had to touch pass it to Kittle which went for about 20 or so yards - the throw having to lead Kittle just right, but vertical on the left side where underthrown, it's picked, overthrown it's a badly missed opportunity.

It was the type of play we rarely saw with CJ. Touch + downfield length "tweener" type pass.

It was perfectly thrown. Coming in cold off the bench in a tight game, pressure situation.

CJ seemed to cannonball just about everything he threw, especially quit hitters. If Stanley has touch + arm strength + learns how to read defenses and make good decisions...we're going to be just fine.

I dunno, in that second half I saw him sitting unhurried in the pocket and lopping it to wide open receivers. Atlanta was rolling with the patented "No Rush No Coverage" defense.

I want any QB to find and hit the open guy. Some protection and separation will help that cause. I want playcalling that uses the whole field. Hit short, hit deep, hit outside, hit inside. Scratch where it itches, you might say. NE is king at scratching where it itches.
Completely agree, take what the defense gives you. I was just pointing out that a check down is rarely a bad thing.....especially if we can get a guy like Wadley in the open field. NE doesn't exactly have a "big play" WR that is going to consistently stretch the field and utilize their TE's and RB's better than anybody.....Vandy is a type of WR that thrives in that offense and Fant and Hockenson will also thrive in a similar system. Although I think a guy like Brandon Smith will have the ability to stretch the field which will allow our underneath routes to open up, that is what we lacked last year

All I needed to know about Stanley was that one pass he threw in an early game, maybe it was NDSU. It was his first play in the game deep into the 3rd quarter after CJ took a bad hit scrambling for a 1st down.

It was a play action left hash where he had to touch pass it to Kittle which went for about 20 or so yards - the throw having to lead Kittle just right, but vertical on the left side where underthrown, it's picked, overthrown it's a badly missed opportunity.

It was the type of play we rarely saw with CJ. Touch + downfield length "tweener" type pass.

It was perfectly thrown. Coming in cold off the bench in a tight game, pressure situation.

CJ seemed to cannonball just about everything he threw, especially quit hitters. If Stanley has touch + arm strength + learns how to read defenses and make good decisions...we're going to be just fine.
That was a really great pass. Thinking back to Tate, he always seemed to put the correct touch on his throws. Let's hope Stanley has that knack or even half of it.

I quit reading after this.
I don't know. Beathard definitely looked like an NFL QB last year. Always seemed to come up with a clutch throw or run on third down. This year on the other hand....the regression has been painful to watch.

I don't think CJ has ever looked like an NFL QB at Iowa. Solid to good P5 QB though and winner/tough guy type, yeah. Better than Rudock, sure.

NFL though...meh. This isn't saying he won't get there, I just don't think he looked like one at Iowa.

I don't know. Beathard definitely looked like an NFL QB last year. Always seemed to come up with a clutch throw or run on third down. This year on the other hand....the regression has been painful to watch.

CJ looked like a college QB last year. A good one.

It's possible that there are enough tweeks to the offense that Tyler wins the job. With a new QB coach he might see things differently. I fully expect Nate to be the guy, but you never know.

I'm sure the decision will be in place before fall camp opens.
Either way, I'd like to see some real competition there.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If he doesn't make at QB he can always tryout for baseball .... 90 MPH fast ball.....

Doesn't really matter unless Brian is going to change things up.... He will be a game manager...
(kills the spirit of the kid, that is why everybody says this will be his best year. The more he is in the system the more he will be coached to tone it down.)

When was the last time we had a quarterback and you really said "WoW.... The only time I said "Wow" in the last 10 years was with Vandenberg performance against Pitt.....Threw for 399 yards that day.....

If he doesn't make at QB he can always tryout for baseball .... 90 MPH fast ball.....

Doesn't really matter unless Brian is going to change things up.... He will be a game manager...
(kills the spirit of the kid, that is why everybody says this will be his best year. The more he is in the system the more he will be coached to tone it down.)

When was the last time we had a quarterback and you really said "WoW.... The only time I said "Wow" in the last 10 years was with Vandenberg performance against Pitt.....Threw for 399 yards that day.....

Breathard made me say "wow" numerous times in 2015.

Because he was playing hurt most of the year.... I was impressed that he could still go out and play at a high level, but if you look at his stats they are good, but they don't blow you away.. Best passing game (278 yards) North Texas...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/cj-beathard-player-game-log?season=2015

You didn't say what "season stats" made me say "wow". You specifically pointed out one game Vandenberg. I stand by Breathard making me say "wow" in his performance against Iowa State in 2015. Don't know what his stats were for the game but he had a couple of runs that made me say "wow"

Reactions: MMoran
Rudock is now a second string NFL QB.

Despite a billion "that guy is NOT an NFL QB" proclamations on Hawkeye boards. Very supportive.

Reactions: HawktimusPrime
Rudock is now a second string NFL QB.

Despite a billion "that guy is NOT an NFL QB" proclamations on Hawkeye boards. Very supportive.
Oh don't worry, some armchair coach is going to show up and tell you that he's not an NFL QB. Despite the NFL coaches believing he is, you're wrong.

That's how it works here.

Reactions: ichawk24
Here is the simple answer:
He came in as a True Freshman and won the #2 job last year over the other QB on the roster. He won the job even though the coach has traditionally been heavily slanted to upperclassmen and redshirting freshman. That indicates the coaches think there was clear separation on who was the better player in practice.

As far as how good he is, he's a true Soph with limited snaps and an unproved WR corps. Expect some bumps.
You clearly missed the point of this thread. Your post is simply accurate and reasonable.

A little tidbit of information for you...there is not a college football coach on this planet that is interested in your "wow" meter. Win, win,win,win,and did I say win. Not interested or care how many yards a QB throws for. Take a look around college football and the coaches that are playing into that game are not winning on a consistent basis.

A little tidbit of information for you...there is not a college football coach on this planet that is interested in your "wow" meter. Win, win,win,win,and did I say win. Not interested or care how many yards a QB throws for. Take a look around college football and the coaches that are playing into that game are not winning on a consistent basis.

Easy tough guy.... I guess the "Wow" meter is not working all that great at IOWA... Your Win , win, win, is not in line with IOWA football... Because we would have pulled CJ in the Florida game..... If you are in Win, win at all costs.... you go with the players that are going to win and pull the players (even if they are the team leaders) when they are hurt. I was there were you, it was brutal???

("First of all, he thought he could go back and play, which he always does. But then secondly, when he was playing, certainly he was limited in what he could do," Ferentz said. "He wasn't going to run, but he wanted to compete. I think we certainly owe it to him. He's had a tremendous career and laid it out there for us game in and game out." ) see link below...

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/iowa-qb-beathard-plays-through-injury-outback-bowl-loss

Last year, everybody knew that Beathard was coming in as the uncontested starting QB. The only competition was for the #2 QB spot ... and from our perspective we don't know how heated the competition was. Unfortunately, some guys have trouble bringing the extra motivation that is required unless something "real" is on the line.

As we enter the '17 season ... we have no incumbent QB. Thus, you can be sure that every QB is going to give it their all ... and it probably will be a veritable free-for-all. The good news is that competition is a great driver for improvement. Wiegers got really high quality practice reps in '15 ... and saw a few game reps too. In '16, Stanley saw some quality game reps too. However, the lead that those guys had ... that was operating within Greg Davis's passing scheme. Their advantage reading Ds and understanding our running game ... that will remain very valuable.

However, now that we're (re)entering the era of the Brian Ferentz/Ken O'Keefe passing game ... ALL of the QBs are starting back from the beginning in some respects. To that end ... I wouldn't count out Cook, Boyle, or Mansell. In fact, Boyle might be the biggest "mobility threat" out of our QBs ... and that is an attribute that has been valued among O'Keefe's past QBs. Of course, I think that all of our QBs with the exception of Wiegers ran for a good hunk of yardage as QBs.

Stanley - rushed for around 360 yards (through hs career)
Boyle - rushed for around 3050 yards (through hs career)
Cook - rushed for around 1150 yards (through hs career)
Wiegers - rushed for at least 200 yards (through hs career)
Mansell - rushed for at least around 1850 yards (through hs career)

Easy tough guy.... I guess the "Wow" meter is not working all that great at IOWA... Your Win , win, win, is not in line with IOWA football... Because we would have pulled CJ in the Florida game..... If you are in Win, win at all costs.... you go with the players that are going to win and pull the players (even if they are the team leaders) when they are hurt. I was there were you, it was brutal???

("First of all, he thought he could go back and play, which he always does. But then secondly, when he was playing, certainly he was limited in what he could do," Ferentz said. "He wasn't going to run, but he wanted to compete. I think we certainly owe it to him. He's had a tremendous career and laid it out there for us game in and game out." ) see link below...

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/iowa-qb-beathard-plays-through-injury-outback-bowl-loss
It was brutal if you were on Pluto while the game was being played. As far as "pulling" him....that tells me you never played at a high level and definitely will never be a coach. KF showed the loyalty to the kid just as much as the kid showed the program. Dudes like you do not get that but the locker room does and it went a long way. But keep on keeping on and when you look in the mirror in the morning you are still not as smart as any college football coach.

It was brutal if you were on Pluto while the game was being played. As far as "pulling" him....that tells me you never played at a high level and definitely will never be a coach. KF showed the loyalty to the kid just as much as the kid showed the program. Dudes like you do not get that but the locker room does and it went a long way. But keep on keeping on and when you look in the mirror in the morning you are still not as smart as any college football coach.

Do you read your own "Posts" - you talk about a "Win, win,win,win,and did I say win" - Never said I played at a high level or coached my 10 years olds flag football team.. (but apparently you have...why don't you post your resume.... By the way it was brutal sitting in the stadium watching the game.... I do go to the games (Home & away) ...

Iowa QBs haven't been coached to be game managers. However, it certainly is true that they MUST manage the game as well. Given how porous our D was against the run last year ... and given how inconsistent our WRs were last year ... it makes sense that even Beathard would be able to decide for himself that ball-security would be critical for us to pull out victories.

When you have WRs you trust ... guys who will make those back-shoulder catches or who will win those jump-ball battles ... then you're willing to take a few more risks. But, it's a two-way street ... ultimately you need to know the odds and try to make decisions that give your team the greatest chance to win the game.

If Beathard had his mobility last year ... that certainly would have given our O some extra oomph. However, we had to be satisfied with the fact that he would make the best decisions with the ball ... and he also knew how to check us into the best run-plays.

There is seemingly a little myth on the Iowa boards that Iowa's QB tends to his best in his first season as an emergent QB. Folks point at Banks in '02, Chandler in '03, Tate in '04, and perhaps Beathard in '15. However, some of that "emergent" success is obviously attributable to the fact that opposing Ds then have a lot more tape on guy AFTER he's had his first main year as a starter. Thus, it's then the job of the QB to critique his own tendencies (even if they contributed to his prior success) ... and make sure that he sees more of the field, sees more of his options, and can try to anticipate how the D will try to defend him.

Fans laud Tate's '04 season ... but his performance in '05 was arguably even better. He made better decisions, our O was more consistent, ... the problem was that we just didn't win as much. If the '05 squad had the same DL it had in '04 ... people would be remember the '05 season every bit as much as the '04 season. Tate's '06 season was marred by his injury AND the fact that he was surrounded by rather inconsistent targets.

How about Stanzi? He first dipped his feet in during the '08 season ... and he played well. In '09, he had a beast-mode D backing him up ... but we had 2 freshman RBs ... so Stanzi was willing to take a lot of chances that season. He had the margin of error to do so ... he had a D that clearly had his back. While the '09 season was also the season of the "Rick Six" ... it also marked, at the time, a record setting season. Anyhow, Ricky went from a game-manager with some mobility (in '08) ... to a guy who could win games with his arm (in '09). If Iowa had enjoyed better health at LB ... then fans would have appreciated his play in '10 all the more. Not only was his production his very best ... but he also made far fewer stupid throws.

If you contrast Beathard's play when he was just a RS FR or SO to his JR year ... he was clearly much improved. That improvement is also ultimately what won him the starting job from Rudock too. As for his less-than-stellar SR campaign ... there are a plethora of reasons why his productivity dropped. But the implication wasn't that he had become a lesser QB. Frankly, look at how poor Iowa's stats were with regard to passing the ball ... then notice how many TDs Beathard still managed to pass for. He also was a significant reason why we were pretty decent and efficient as a red-zone O. He's still a big reason why we won the games we did.

Last edited:
Having a dedicated QB coach should prove to be a factor. Not on topic but throwing it out there.
Love him or hate him ... Greg Davis had a great track-record as it relates to developing QBs. Among a single group of QBs ... he helped guide/shape Sokol, Rudock, and Beathard. Each ended up being pretty successful starting QBs. And that was just his track record at Iowa. Obviously if you look at the likes of Colt McCoy and Vince Young ... he was proven with other guys too.

In other words, I don't think QB coaching or development was an issue for the Hawks. In '13 and '14 - we suffered from having Rudock be a little gun-shy and having a division in the locker-room between Rudock and Beathard backers. That's ultimately on the players ... not on Greg. If you want to dump on Greg ... there are plenty of other valid things to pick upon.

Reactions: MMoran
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT