ADVERTISEMENT

Star Trek Picard

Just got home. Excited to watch it tonight. Mostly positive reviews. 92% on Rotten Tomatoes....

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've just started watching Discovery. I'm in the second episode where they're in the alt universe (ep 10?) and I just groaned when they ended up there. It seems cliche that a star trek show ends up in an alt universe with evil versions of themselves. Does the show remain in this universe for long? Because if it does I'm not sure I can carry on watching.

For me that's when it got good! I don't know where you are so I don't want to inadvertently spoil anything but it provides a LOT of explanation about what was going on and who each character really is.

For me that's when it got good! I don't know where you are so I don't want to inadvertently spoil anything but it provides a LOT of explanation about what was going on and who each character really is.
I want to watch this I think and we’re not poors but it is kind of a stiff ask for cbs. Is there anything else it offers justifying its asking price?

I want to watch this I think and we’re not poors but it is kind of a stiff ask for cbs. Is there anything else it offers justifying its asking price?

Not if you don't think Discovery, Short Treks and now Picare are worth it. But I do and I got the Disney channel for just Mandelorian. Because movie tickets in Tally are now $14 a ticket so I can pay $28 for two hours of entertainment or $12 (I get the one that skips commercials because EFF that) for multiple hours.

But as far as original series on CBS online, only the Star Trek series are decent. I had high hopes for the new Twilight Zone but it doesn’t live up to even the 90s version let alone the original.

Now if you want to watch older stuff there is a lot of good things on CBS from all of the old Star Trek series (which are available elsewhere for the next few years but probably not in the near future), I Love Lucy, Frasier, Wings, old Twilight Zone, Taxi etc...

I will say that I LOVED episode one of Picard.

Not if you don't think Discovery, Short Treks and now Picare are worth it. But I do and I got the Disney channel for just Mandelorian. Because movie tickets in Tally are now $14 a ticket so I can pay $28 for two hours of entertainment or $12 (I get the one that skips commercials because EFF that) for multiple hours.

But as far as original series on CBS online, only the Star Trek series are decent. I had high hopes for the new Twilight Zone but it doesn’t live up to even the 90s version let alone the original.

Now if you want to watch older stuff there is a lot of good things on CBS from all of the old Star Trek series (which are available elsewhere for the next few years but probably not in the near future), I Love Lucy, Frasier, Wings, old Twilight Zone, Taxi etc...

Yes relatively speaking to the theater it is cheap but if CBS is worth 12 the HBO is charging WWWAAAYYYY to little for all of the excellent original content they pump out.

Well, maybe I need to do the free trial to see if this is worth it...

Be sure to watch the most recent "Trek Short" as it gives a little bit of background information for the series. It's not necessary, but it is good. Actually, most of them are very good although you will miss some context on some of them if you haven't seen Discovery. But they stand on their own merits.

Be sure to watch the most recent "Trek Short" as it gives a little bit of background information for the series. It's not necessary, but it is good. Actually, most of them are very good although you will miss some context on some of them if you haven't seen Discovery. But they stand on their own merits.
Watched it. Outstanding. Will probably keep it.

Reactions: BioHawk

Well I’ll be damned. Starting episode 4 of discovery. What a great f$cking show!

So it looks like they want to teleport the monster onto Klingon ships like the alien from alien. Asymmetrical warfare indeed.

And jason isaacs is awesome. Best acted captain I can recall

My last nerdy post of the night. The Klingons eat the dead? Said they eat the flesh off the fallen captains “smooth” skull? Like the Thenns in GoT. Yuck

My last nerdy post of the night. The Klingons eat the dead? Said they eat the flesh off the fallen captains “smooth” skull? Like the Thenns in GoT. Yuck

They did a lot wrong with the Klingons in season 1 of Discovery. I wish they would have established them as some ultra-religious cult sect of the Klingons that would explain why they were so different than what we are used to. They kind of fix it in the second season, but I like the idea of different Klingon Houses having different customs and culture. They could have even set up the Klingons as we know them by having the House that eventually gets control of the Empire look like the Klingons we know and love.

Reactions: lucas80
They did a lot wrong with the Klingons in season 1 of Discovery. I wish they would have established them as some ultra-religious cult sect of the Klingons that would explain why they were so different than what we are used to. They kind of fix it in the second season, but I like the idea of different Klingon Houses having different customs and culture. They could have even set up the Klingons as we know them by having the House that eventually gets control of the Empire look like the Klingons we know and love.
In the show all 24 houses - or at least most of them - engage in the attack. Then they disperse apparently to wage war. The Klingons left at the “beacon” are the only cannibals? Kind of hard to come back from that...

In the show all 24 houses - or at least most of them - engage in the attack. Then they disperse apparently to wage war. The Klingons left at the “beacon” are the only cannibals? Kind of hard to come back from that...

It's been awhile since I watched them but I thought the Religious House took charge. I don't know, it doesn't even really seem like the Klingons really had much of a formal government during this war and were a feudal system with no real central organization. Which really tells you how poorly prepared Star Fleet was to get their asses kicked so badly.

Reactions: Tenacious E
It's been awhile since I watched them but I thought the Religious House took charge. I don't know, it doesn't even really seem like the Klingons really had much of a formal government during this war and were a feudal system with no real central organization. Which really tells you how poorly prepared Star Fleet was to get their asses kicked so badly.

I don’t know if it’s still Canon, but various books including “history” books said that Klingons didn’t develop their own technology. Instead they were visited when they were a still feudalistic primitive society by a Civilization more advanced than the Federation and the Klingons responded by enslaving and/or killing them.

And it’s definitely canon that Klingons will ritualistically eat the hearts of their enemies. It was covered in an episode of DS9.

Watched Picard last night. It was fantastic. So amazing to see Data. Also scary to see 79 year old Stewart running around...

So excited to see where this goes. Hope we get a few seasons and this is not a one an done.

Watched Picard last night. It was fantastic. So amazing to see Data. Also scary to see 79 year old Stewart running around...

So excited to see where this goes. Hope we get a few seasons and this is not a one an done.
CBS has already approved Season 2. I saw Stewart said the story supports 3 seasons.

Reactions: ericram
I'm excited as well. I'm not a full fledged Trekkie where I hate all other forms of Scifi, but I'm a bigger Trek fan than I am a Star Wars fan.

I will say this...then keep teasing a full Anson Mount as Captain Pike series and I would be all in for that one. His time on Discovery and his appearances in several “Short Treks” makes it clear that a Captain Pike/Spock/"Number One" triumvirate show would be absolutely amazing. And btw if you haven't watched all the Short Treks you should, I only thought the Burnham as a kid show was below decent quality. The rest were great.

As far as Discovery itself MINUS Anson Mount as Captain Pike heavy shows I find it....ok. Better than Enterprise and the Animated series, maybe a little bit behind Voyager and nowhere near the original crew, TNG or DS9. And as far as current Scifi shows I'd put it ahead of Killjoys and Another Life; about on par with Lost in Space, Altered Carbon and Westworld; slightly behind the Orville which is closer to TNG than Disco is; and nowhere near as good as The Expanse.
Rereading this thread in light of me starting the Discovery series. So this Captain Pike is in Discovery and makes Discovery even better than the first 4 episodes of season 1? If so . . .
source.gif

and
Captain-Picard-Engage-GIF.gif

Patrick Stewart looks better in person than he does for this series. Either he wears more makeup when he is out and about or they made him up to look more aged than he is. It's funny to look back at the episode where he lived an entire life in 20 minutes and to see how they thought he would look vs. how he actually looks.

CBS has already approved Season 2. I saw Stewart said the story supports 3 seasons.

If they keep this up it will get 3 seasons, easily. I'm 90% sure the series will end with Picard's death but I hope it opens pathways for spinoffs that can continue the storyline.

Rereading this thread in light of me starting the Discovery series. So this Captain Pike is in Discovery and makes Discovery even better than the first 4 episodes of season 1? If so . . .
source.gif

and
Captain-Picard-Engage-GIF.gif

He does. Plus, they address the issues that pissed people off in the first season.

Patrick Stewart looks better in person than he does for this series. Either he wears more makeup when he is out and about or they made him up to look more aged than he is. It's funny to look back at the episode where he lived an entire life in 20 minutes and to see how they thought he would look vs. how he actually looks.
That's my favorite episode ever!

Does CBS All-Access have on-demand access to previous episodes of shows?

Planet of the Black People (Technically titled "Code of Honor") was my least favorite TNG episode. It's plot could have been written by any smallbrained racist Magat on this board.

First of all it features the hideous man-skirt or skant Starfleet uniform

maninskirt.jpg

And second it's just openly racist

star_trektng3.jpg

star-trek-tng-code-of-honor-image-23.jpg
Meh, art was imitating life there. We all had puffy pants back in the day.

She's the second hottest "Star Trek woman" in my opinion. I like Jolene Blalock aka T'Pol just a tiny smidge better.

aZsbuw13q4thQP23Vd8Mg47Sn0GsnsCTCON5xbrf84U.jpg

jolene.jpg

They got VERY creative in showing off her body on Enterprise from the topless back quarter butt crack shot (the censors probably had fun determining the exact proportion of butt crack and cheek that was acceptable) in a "dream"....

latest

To the "contamination bay" rubdowns where you ALMOST see nipple....

jolene-blalock-nude-star-trek-enterprise-15.jpg

To late night "massages" to help with anxiety headaches or some other BS reason they came up with....

jolene-blalock-nude-star-trek-enterprise-23.jpg

To her dropping her dress behind a sheet so her projected nude form was visible

MV5BODJhM2QzNGQtOThlNC00MTdmLTgxZmUtY2MyZDdiNTQyOGY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxMTU3Mzk@._V1_.jpg

carboncreek_121.jpg
I thought the original decontamination scene in Enterprise was a three way with Hoshi in the mix?
That scene definitely made it move.

PSA: I just got a notification that Episode 1 is running for free on Pluto TV Sci Fi station. So if you want to check this show out but don't want to subscribe to CBS All Access you can catch it for free on Pluto TV.

Don't know how many of you watch Pluto TV, it's one of those free apps, but there is a lot of decent stuff on there, some movies I was surprised you can watch on a free app. When I want something on in the background I throw on the This Old House channel and it's 24/7 This Old House reruns. Love it.

I absolutely loved Episode 2 of Picard as well. Normally, I agree with Jay and Rich from Redletter Media but they're definitely being overly critical of the show. Some things may not make logical sense within the Star Trek universe "rules" but that limits dramatic effect. There would never be a TV show about attorneys or medical doctors that didn't break all kinds of real life rules as the reality is far too slow and boring.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I absolutely loved Episode 2 of Picard as well. Normally, I agree with Jay and Rich from Redletter Media but they're definitely being overly critical of the show. Some things may not make logical sense within the Star Trek universe "rules" but that limits dramatic effect. There would never be a TV show about attorneys or medical doctors that didn't break all kinds of real life rules as the reality is far too slow and boring.
You don't think the people would clamor for several episodes in a legal drama showing data collection and processing for analysis in a document review platform? Then they could climax with coding the silver bullet email with a critical document tag for use several months later in a deposition or at trial during cross-examination. Leave it is a cliffhanger for next season as to which direction they go with the critical document. You're trying to tell me that's not riveting?

Last edited:

I'm thinking about buying the annual commercial free level subscription. The ads are the same thing over and over again. Drives me nuts.

Comes out to $8.33/month if you do the annual subscription. The basic monthly is only $2.34/month cheaper ($5.99).

I bought a Venti Iced Latte at Starbucks in O'Hare yesterday and it was over $6.00 with tax :(

I'm thinking about buying the annual commercial free level subscription. The ads are the same thing over and over again. Drives me nuts.

Comes out to $8.33/month if you do the annual subscription. The basic monthly is only $2.34/month cheaper ($5.99).

I bought a Venti Iced Latte at Starbucks in O'Hare yesterday and it was over $6.00 with tax :(

I did the commercial free version because I thought that it was worth it for the whole year and not having to watch commercials. Netflix has spoiled me on that. When it comes down to it, I think I can handle 4 or 5 streaming services on top of what I pay for regular TV (YouTube TV). If the quality keeps up here, then it will continue to keep a spot in the "Top 5".

ADVERTISEMENT