ADVERTISEMENT

Star Trek Picard

Finished episode 3 this morning. Really enjoying the show. Great to see Picard and that era of Star Trek back.

Yep, Episode 3 may have been my favorite so far for spoilery reasons I won't discuss here.

But I REALLY enjoyed the two hologram characters. What a great way to reward an actor with extra roles. And the other new characters introduced along the way were fantastic.

The fact that two old retired regular Tal Shiar plus an old man and a scientist could wipe out a front line "secret" Tal Shiar death squad kind of goes beyond reason. But whatever, I'll just go with the flow. Picard is a killing machine!

That was a brilliant start to the new series. I loved it and can't wait for the next episode! Also, the after show hosted by Wil Wheaton is worth watching as well.

Is this the "Ready Room" stuff?

You don't think the people would clamor for several episodes in a legal drama showing data collection and processing for analysis in a document review platform? Then they could climax with coding the silver bullet email with a critical document tag for use several months later in a deposition or at trial during cross-examination. Leave it is a cliffhanger for next season as to which direction they go with the critical document. You're trying to tell me that's not riveting?
giphy.gif

Episode 3 is more excellence. If all the episodes came out at once I would have finished this series on the first day. I kind of like being able to have time to talk about each episode and really digest what happened though.

Yes. Real quality show.

Now if they would just get going with season 3 of Star Trek Discovery.

Episode 3 is more excellence. If all the episodes came out at once I would have finished this series on the first day. I kind of like being able to have time to talk about each episode and really digest what happened though.
Yes they are outstanding. I too would binge them. I actually like how this, Mandalorian, and all HBO shows come out as episodes and they make you wait.

A quibble I have is that with Laris and Zhaban, I was very confused. I had to google their names. I was under the impression that Laris and Picard were married, and Zhaban was their son. Not so much. Maybe I missed something in the first episode but they don't strike me as his housekeepers.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Thanks for sharing. And how the hell we we supposed to know this??!

Buy the graphic novel or just accept that 18 years have passed since the end of the last movie so it is entirely possible that Picard might have met some new people in that time. I'm thinking that we have probably seen the last of them for a while since they are staying on Earth.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Thanks for sharing. And how the hell we we supposed to know this??!

They revealed it in bits and pieces over the earlier episodes. Plus I’m sure at some point we’ll get a flashback episode whether this season or the next.

They revealed it in bits and pieces over the earlier episodes. Plus I’m sure at some point we’ll get a flashback episode whether this season or the next.
Episode 4 wasn't quite as good as the first 3, but still very good. I like how people actually die in this show and Discovery. Makes it much more "realistic" to the extent a sci-fi series is real.

Episode 4 wasn't quite as good as the first 3, but still very good. I like how people actually die in this show and Discovery. Makes it much more "realistic" to the extent a sci-fi series is real.

Yeah. At some point here soon he has to find Maddox and Soji.

Yeah. At some point here soon he has to find Maddox and Soji.

I think he finds Soji before Maddox. My guess is he joins her in trying to protect....well, you know and Maddox is where they end up going after the thing before that part.

I guess I could have used spoiler tags but that was more fun.

Halfway through the first season and I'm still very much enjoying it. Great to see Seven back in action!

Yep, between Picard (and Pike) saving Star Trek and the Mandalorian saving Star Wars, it’s a good time to be a SciFi nerd again. I’m loving it!

If we had a Babylon 5 reboot (or just redone FX) and a Firefly continuation I might think I was dead and in heaven already.

Reactions: BioHawk
I'm still thrown off by eff-bombs being thrown around in a star trek series. But has been a very good series so far.

I absolutely loved Episode 2 of Picard as well. Normally, I agree with Jay and Rich from Redletter Media but they're definitely being overly critical of the show. Some things may not make logical sense within the Star Trek universe "rules" but that limits dramatic effect. There would never be a TV show about attorneys or medical doctors that didn't break all kinds of real life rules as the reality is far too slow and boring.

I like those guys as well and love Star Trek. But something really hard to get over is how the Romulans, who were not taken by surprise when their star exploded, were so dependent on Star Fleet. Of the Alpha and Beta powers the Romulans were always shown to be the most technologically competitive to the Federation.

As for the more militaristic Star Fleet and protectionist Federation I don't mind that. It is an understandable progression from the Borg invasions and the Dominion War.

I like those guys as well and love Star Trek. But something really hard to get over is how the Romulans, who were not taken by surprise when their star exploded, were so dependent on Star Fleet. Of the Alpha and Beta powers the Romulans were always shown to be the most technologically competitive to the Federation.

As for the more militaristic Star Fleet and protectionist Federation I don't mind that. It is an understandable progression from the Borg invasions and the Dominion War.

I don’t think the Romulans were entirely dependent on the Federation. They said that several billion Romulans had to be relocated (both those on Romulus and Remus as well as nearby star systems) and they specifically asked the Federation to move 900 million. We don’t know the exact time frame but it was long enough that the Federation were purpose building several thousand transports just for that purpose. The Federation then reneged on moving its agreed to share after the Synth attack leaving the Romulans to either scramble to evacuate and/or losing a bunch of citizens. Spock said he could save the remaining millions trapped on Romulus with the last minute Red Matter experiment but obviously it ended up failing. So the end result was the Federation agreeing to transport almost a billion people then reneging and Spock a Federation scientist saying he could save them and then failing. It’s a miracle there hasn’t been a full on Federation-Romulan war.

Reactions: preshlock
Unfortunately, I have been hearing really bad things about the third season of Discovery. Apparently people who have seen the early drafts are not happy at all and have demanded massive reshoots.

Unfortunately, I have been hearing really bad things about the third season of Discovery. Apparently people who have seen the early drafts are not happy at all and have demanded massive reshoots.

There are a group of internet neck beards that rag on the series just for the sake of ragging on it. Forgetting about the social issues gripes, they don't like the series because it isn't "Star Trek", as if they are the ultimate authority as to what can be deemed "Star Trek". They want the shows to have the exact same "feel" that the original series had or TNG had. Unfortunately, if they tried to do that those shows would not do well. People would be complaining about how "boring" the show is and how out of date it is.

I'm not saying the show is going to be good, but there are too many people cheering for the show to fail to take rumors like you've heard seriously. Let's wait for it to come out before judging it.

There are a group of internet neck beards that rag on the series just for the sake of ragging on it. Forgetting about the social issues gripes, they don't like the series because it isn't "Star Trek", as if they are the ultimate authority as to what can be deemed "Star Trek". They want the shows to have the exact same "feel" that the original series had or TNG had. Unfortunately, if they tried to do that those shows would not do well. People would be complaining about how "boring" the show is and how out of date it is.

I'm not saying the show is going to be good, but there are too many people cheering for the show to fail to take rumors like you've heard seriously. Let's wait for it to come out before judging it.

What’s funny is that the Orville is closer to TNG in spirit, writing and cinematography than any of the nuTrek shows. The Orville is essentially TNG with some fart jokes added on.

Reactions: BioHawk
What’s funny is that the Orville is closer to TNG in spirit, writing and cinematography than any of the nuTrek shows. The Orville is essentially TNG with some fart jokes added on.

Yup, and those people don't like The Orville either because it has fart jokes.

Yup, and those people don't like The Orville either because it has fart jokes.

That’s too bad. I like the Orville in SPITE of the fart jokes. Honestly, I probably like it even better than the two nuTrek shows.

That’s too bad. I like the Orville in SPITE of the fart jokes. Honestly, I probably like it even better than the two nuTrek shows.

I really like the Orville, but not as much as the Trek shows. The Orville just seems very "Saturday Morning Cartoonish" so it's hard to take it seriously. At the same time, that is a big part of why the show is so watchable because it's kind of nice to see that these days and not have everything be super "edgy". Too bad they moved the show to Hulu...although with YouTube TV not picking up the Marquee Network it is becoming increasingly likely I switch to Hulu.

Is Blalock hot today? She is the hottest Star Trek babe in my opinion. My favorite woman character was Kira.
Awesome character, and Nana Visitor was a a long time broadway actress/dancer. She'd mess you up in the sack.

I finally started Picard, and have been hugely satisfied with the product. I am only four episodes in so far, but I'll probably knock out 3-4 tomorrow since the Bears won't be forcing me to watch a loss.
1. F****** Romulans.
2. If Geordi shows up in this series, has he been laid in the 20 years since TNG ended? I was watching the episode where Geordi tries to hump the delicious Julie Warner the other day, and I can't think of another character that prominent who never got laid.

I finally started Picard, and have been hugely satisfied with the product. I am only four episodes in so far, but I'll probably knock out 3-4 tomorrow since the Bears won't be forcing me to watch a loss.
1. F****** Romulans.
2. If Geordi shows up in this series, has he been laid in the 20 years since TNG ended? I was watching the episode where Geordi tries to hump the delicious Julie Warner the other day, and I can't think of another character that prominent who never got laid.

Tune in to season 2....

Even Data got laid.

Just saw the first episode for Picard and I'm very excited about it. And this is coming from someone who is pretty disappointed in Discovery.

Discovery isn't terrible, but my main complaint is that it goes so far to overcorrect the straight male dominance of Star Trek history that it almost becomes a parody. It's like the writers are forbidden to create a positive straight male character.

The main protagonist (Burnham), the leader of the Klingon Empire, the leader of the Terran Empire (and rumored to get a spinoff), the only admiral seen of any substance, the main subcharacter (Tilly), the chief engineer (who's also gay), chief medical officer (after Culber disappeared), and the only 2 bridge members of any substance are all women. I could cite plenty more examples.

Two of the leading male characters (Stamets and Culber) are in a relationship. The other males include an alien, an emo half-Klingon, Lorca, a white male who turned out to be the primary baddie in season 1, two bridge members with hardly any speaking parts, and the primary bad guy in season 2 (the name eludes me). Even a guy early in season 2 is killed as a sort of joke. In the middle of the season you see a guy who was on Burnam's original ship; I'm thinking maybe finally there's a positive male, but no, he turned out to be bad, too.

The only straight admirable males are those from canon; Pike and Spock. So the writers were handcuffed in presenting them. Even with Spock's parents, the mom comes off much better than Sarek. And I don't believe any of these characters will be in season 3, though there is an abundance of clamoring for a Pike spinoff.

Even in the 3 short treks I've seen it continue; with Number One and Spock in the elevator, the engineer heard and the crewmember that rescues them are women. In the Trouble with Edward, the newly promoted captain is a woman where the older white male is the butt of the joke. And in the 3rd one with Pike, the protagonist again is a woman.

Please understand that I want diversity in Star Trek; I want to see equality on the screen, that we've overcome our prejudices. And I like all the characters and the actors portraying them. It's not a case of, "I don't find a female or gay man in this role believable or likeable." There's no one of them that I would say needs to go or should have been replaced with a straight male character. But I would like to see some balance. Wouldn't it be helpful as a straight male to see straight males interacting with non-straight males on the screen?

I'm hopeful to get that in the Picard series.
Interesting. I hadn't picked up on much of that.

I had to draw the line somewhere. Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney Plus. Couldn't do another one. I was a huge Voyager fan and not watching Seven of Nine is going to be painful.
Not seeing her go lesbian should be painful to your psyche, too.

Overall I was very impressed with Season 1. The last five minutes of the final episode were frustrating. Sometimes I just don't like it when everything is neatly wrapped up like that. Agnes murdered Maddox, and, yet, Rios is hooking up with her. Narek and Rizzo were banging, right? Even for Romulan special agents that was one weird dynamic between the two. I did not like how easily the Sims were duped by Sutra into turning on humanity.
And, at the end of the final episode, how did they decide to just sneak in the lingering hand touch between 7 and Rafi? I don't get too worked up about social issues, but, how do you turn a long standing character like 7 gay. And, it wasn't like they portrayed Rafi that way in the previous episodes. I did appreciate the bad ass, dark turn that 7 took, though. Loved it.

ADVERTISEMENT