ADVERTISEMENT

Star Tribune Endorses Ilhan Omar's Opponent

“Melton-Meaux brings a different sensibility to this race, one grounded in helping resolve disputes to move forward — a skill this country is much in need of. His thoughtful approach holds out the promise of building common ground. Whether it’s health care, criminal justice or affordable housing, Melton-Meaux appears progressive, but pragmatic. While Omar wants to lead a movement, Melton-Meaux seeks to serve the Fifth District.”

Hopefully there is more thinking like this across the country.

Cons got rid of Steve King, you all can missed your chance booting AOC but then again 1/3rd of her District aren't even Americans. Good luck getting this America hating anarchist out of office.

AOC and Omar are not comparable to Steve King.

Steve King was a flat out racist.

Omar and AOC the big problem I have with them is that they are not team players they are 100% ideological. Having an ideology is ok but in politics you also have to have some sense of practicality. They don't have that. So they are trying to push far leftists into the party nominations in places where far leftists just won't win an election.

But being a racist is way worse than being 100% ideological. It's just that a person that's 100% ideological doesn't in the long run govern very effectively and usually quite frankly shoot themselves in the foot while trying to do so. I want them to go because they have too much of a following for their stature, they are too immature to effectively lead, and they will in the long run be bad at governing.

Reactions: cigaretteman
“Melton-Meaux brings a different sensibility to this race, one grounded in helping resolve disputes to move forward — a skill this country is much in need of. His thoughtful approach holds out the promise of building common ground. Whether it’s health care, criminal justice or affordable housing, Melton-Meaux appears progressive, but pragmatic.
Evidence that he's "progressive"?

What does he actually stand for? All I see mentioned is his support of the 2009 idea of a public option.

Minnesota and the nation deserve better than stale ideas.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Omar and AOC the big problem I have with them is that they are not team players
And good for them.

Being a team player in the Democratic Party means being a corporate shill, a neocon, and weak on climate change - someone who may pay lip service to progressive values but doesn't work for them.

Give me AOC and Omar any day of the week, warts and all.

“Melton-Meaux brings a different sensibility to this race, one grounded in helping resolve disputes to move forward — a skill this country is much in need of. His thoughtful approach holds out the promise of building common ground. Whether it’s health care, criminal justice or affordable housing, Melton-Meaux appears progressive, but pragmatic. While Omar wants to lead a movement, Melton-Meaux seeks to serve the Fifth District.”

Hopefully there is more thinking like this across the country.
Of course repubs feel that way now that it appears they may be out of power. Where the hell has this tone been for the last decade or so?

Good I do too. Both she and "the squad" are causing all sort of problems within the party and are not team players. They need to go home and go back to being activists, it's what they are best at. Leave the governing for grown ups.

I'm speechless. Your idea of grown ups must be establishment neoliberals that look out more for the donor class than constituents, so grats on that.

I'm speechless. Your idea of grown ups must be establishment neoliberals that look out more for the donor class than constituents, so grats on that.

My idea of grown-ups is people who have some sense of practicality to be team players. Or people promising to "impeach the MFer" (Granted that wasn't her but that was another member of "The Squad"

Money is pouring in from out-of-state in support of Melton-Meaux.

Sounds like the far left has essentially declared war on the rest of the party and the rest of the party has basically said. . . Ok well if that's the way you want it.

Lets remember most of the Democratic party is not the Bernie Sanders wing.

Reactions: kwik44
I wouldn’t say AOC is comparable. She’s a nut job no doubt, but different. Omar on the otherhand is comparable. Only difference is when she’s says stuff that can be misconstrued or twisted to be racist/sexist/deplorable just as King did, people don’t/won’t attack her for fear of being labeled a racist and/or sexist. King had no curtains to hide behind.

Not at all surprising.

The election is this coming Tuesday. Otherwise I'd probably send some money to Omar. But I don't see how it will help this late. Nor how my $10 could make a difference.

It will be interesting to see if she can survive the broad-spectrum attacks. I doubt it, but hope to be pleasantly surprised, for a change. Tlaib did, but she hasn't been so consistently vilified as Omar. And, to be sure, Omar shot herself in the foot a while back with comments that let opponents smear her as antisemitic. Which, unfortunately, has overshadowed how often she has been right on important issues.

Reactions: Moral

I saw on a local news station the other day that while true that Melton-Meaux has most of his money pouring in from out-of-state ( something like 85% IIRC), Omar has a higher percentage of donations (something like 92% IIRC) coming from out of state than he does.

I saw on a local news station the other day that while true that Melton-Meaux has most of his money pouring in from out-of-state ( something like 85% IIRC), Omar has a higher percentage of donations (something like 92% IIRC) coming from out of state than he does.
Are you counting donations or money?

Evidence that he's "progressive"?

What does he actually stand for? All I see mentioned is his support of the 2009 idea of a public option.

Minnesota and the nation deserve better than stale ideas.

America deserves someone dealing in realism. Medicare for all isn't happening. It simply isn't.

America deserves someone dealing in realism. Medicare for all isn't happening. It simply isn't.
It isn't if people like you and FOX and Rush and Trump have your way.

Why side with those folks on something that would be good for nearly all Americans, and is something we can do if we decide to.

Why side with those folks on something that would be good for nearly all Americans, and is something we can do if we decide to.

The problem is that you are not going to get enough folks on board at this point for Medicare for All.

It could happen some day but you have to take baby steps.

Besides personally while I support the idea of universal healthcare I think we should look at Germany's healthcare system as a model. The transition would be easier and more palatable to Americans. Plus Germany's healthcare system is top notch when you consider waiting times and capacity.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Cons got rid of Steve King, you all can missed your chance booting AOC but then again 1/3rd of her District aren't even Americans. Good luck getting this America hating anarchist out of office.
Yeah, after nearly 2 decades of bringing shame to IA. I suppose you want a cookie?

Reactions: lucas80
And good for them.

Being a team player in the Democratic Party means being a corporate shill, a neocon, and weak on climate change - someone who may pay lip service to progressive values but doesn't work for them.

Give me AOC and Omar any day of the week, warts and all.

Genital?

Steve King was a flat out racist.

Omar and AOC the big problem I have with them is that they are not team players they are 100% ideological. Having an ideology is ok but in politics you also have to have some sense of practicality. They don't have that. So they are trying to push far leftists into the party nominations in places where far leftists just won't win an election.

But being a racist is way worse than being 100% ideological. It's just that a person that's 100% ideological doesn't in the long run govern very effectively and usually quite frankly shoot themselves in the foot while trying to do so. I want them to go because they have too much of a following for their stature, they are too immature to effectively lead, and they will in the long run be bad at governing.

Racism - Bad
Anti Semitic -Ehhhhh...whatever.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/ilhan-omar-voted-2019s-antisemite-of-the-year-613308

How about get the public option for the ACA and go from there?

I am not die hard opposed to it, but there will be Republicans in Congress still and if they hold the Senate it would be DOA anyway.

I am not die hard opposed to it, but there will be Republicans in Congress still and if they hold the Senate it would be DOA anyway.

They're not going to hold the Senate.

We'll get that. And that's probably all we'll get for a few more election cycles.

COVID should be a wake-up call reinforcing the need for a serious national health care plan - preventive as well as curative or palliative. But instead, the money we're throwing (mostly at the well-off) in response to COVID will be used as an excuse why we can't afford anything more than a 12-year old public option. And we won't even get that if the Rs hold onto the Senate.

Last edited:
LARGE donations are pouring in from out of state.

FIFM (Fixed it for me. ;))

Both campaigns are largely funded by out of state and out of district money. This isn’t news. It’s a non issue unless you’re upset at both.

ADVERTISEMENT