ADVERTISEMENT

Star Tribune Endorses Ilhan Omar's Opponent

And good for them.

Being a team player in the Democratic Party means being a corporate shill, a neocon, and weak on climate change - someone who may pay lip service to progressive values but doesn't work for them.

Give me AOC and Omar any day of the week, warts and all.
This. There have to be voices of actual conscience serving the country. They're needed to pull the party into the future.

And you've completely missed the point. So, whatever.

There was no point unless you’re trouble by both campaigns being primarily funded by out of district and out of state donations. This is business as usual. Perhaps you weren’t aware of this?

There was no point unless you’re trouble by both campaigns being primarily funded by out of district and out of state donations. This is business as usual. Perhaps you weren’t aware of this?

Strike two.

LARGE donations are pouring in from out of state.

FIFM (Fixed it for me. ;))

Am I understanding correctly what you are trying to imply--that his donations are from a smaller number of wealthy donors, and presumably that hers are a larger number of smaller donations from regular non-wealthy citizens? If so, do you have a source of data showing this to be true? The only data that I am aware of shows her receiving more $ from out of state as compared to him, and that the percentage of her received donations coming from out of state exceeds his percentage.

A significant majority of campaign donations coming from outside the state/district of the race is pretty much the norm around the country.

She moved against Israel. Ask Cynthia McKinney how that played out.

Minnesota Congresswoman Ilhan Omar is getting a lot of heat for calling attention to how much money her Democratic primary opponent has raised from out of state sources, and Israel lobby groups are saying Omar is antisemitic because she’s named Jews among those contributors. But as we pointed out last week, Antone Melton-Meaux is running a pro-Israel campaign; and that’s been a lucrative stance. “In the second quarter of 2020, he outraised Omar, $3.2 million to $472 thousand, and he has $2 million cash on hand compared to Omar’s $1.1 million” (according to the Hill’s hit-job on Omar).

One way to understand the donations is BDS. Ilhan Omar is for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) targeting Israel. Melton-Meaux is against it.

This is now a fault-line in the Democratic Party. The rank-and-file clearly are favorable to BDS. Polling data show that 44 percent of Democrats support BDS; while only 15 percent oppose it. Yet 92 percent of House Democrats vote for a bill that characterizes BDS as antisemitic.

Ilhan Omar threatens that official unanimity. She is the thin end of the wedge. Along with Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Omar gives a voice on Capitol Hill to a grassroots movement that the party leadership abominates.

Why does the party leadership abominate BDS — a nonviolent campaign aimed at granting Palestinians human rights — when ordinary Democrats have no problem with it?

My own unscientific study of contributions to the Democratic Party shows that many of the largest donors are ardent supporters of Israel. Haim Saban — who pressed Hillary Clinton to oppose BDS publicly four years ago — has given well over $2.5 million to the Democratic Party’s various branches over the last 16 months, in addition to supporting Melton-Meaux.

Many other big Democratic donors are well-known supporters of Israel. I review some of those names below. And if you want to know why the party is against BDS, this is the donkey in the room: the party is getting millions of dollars from people who don’t like pressuring Israel.

https://mondoweiss.net/2020/07/demo...edium=email&utm_campaign=daily-email-mailpoet

–Haim Saban has given $213,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in 2020. Saban is famous for saying, “I’m a one-issue guy and my issue is Israel.”

–Maryland Rep. and liquor baron David Trone has given $248,500 to the congressional campaign committee in the last 16 months.

Trone is very clear about Israel and BDS in his lengthy position paper on Israel.

Israel is the homeland of the Jewish People, one to which my family and I are deeply committed… we must also speak out against the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which is rooted in anti-Semitic sentiment – and we need to fight back against it. I am deeply troubled by the BDS movement on college campuses across the country and around the world.

–Cari Sacks and husband Michael Sacks of Illinois gave $426,000 together to the congressional campaign committee in late 2019. The Sackses surely care about Israel: their family foundation gives a lot of money to Birthright Israel and other Zionist causes.

–S. Daniel Abraham and wife Ewa Abraham, are legendary Israel supporters. They also gave $426,000, according to Open Secrets.

–Seth Klarman, the chairman of the Times of Israel, who was mentioned in an Ilhan Omar mailer as a donor to her opponent, gave $106,500 to the DCCC earlier this year.

–Donald Sussman, a liberal Democrat who is on the board of the Weizmann Institute in Israel, also gave $213,000 to the DCCC in March.

–Producer Jeffrey Katzenberg, who gave $112,000 in March 2020, is an ardent supporter of Israel.

–Andrew Hauptman appears to have wide interests philanthropically, but Israel is one of them. He gave $109,000 in March 2020.

–John Pritzker gave $106,500 in February. Pritzker’s family foundation has given money to an Israeli cultural organization.

Right there you have over $2 million in gifts from a dozen pro-Israel donors. You can imagine that that money means a lot to the Democrats, when the average gift is a lot closer to $250 a pop.

Am I understanding correctly what you are trying to imply--that his donations are from a smaller number of wealthy donors, and presumably that hers are a larger number of smaller donations from regular non-wealthy citizens?

Yes

If so, do you have a source of data showing this to be true? The only data that I am aware of shows her receiving more $ from out of state as compared to him, and that the percentage of her received donations coming from out of state exceeds his percentage.

On your open secrets link click on the candidate tab for MN05. Omar appears first then scroll down to M-M.
https://www.opensecrets.org/races/candidates?cycle=2020&id=MN05&spec=N

Reactions: MplsHawk
Both are receiving the bulk of their money from sources outside their district and outside the state. Much ado about nothing.

AOC and Omar are not comparable to Steve King.

Steve King was a flat out racist.

Omar and AOC the big problem I have with them is that they are not team players they are 100% ideological. Having an ideology is ok but in politics you also have to have some sense of practicality. They don't have that. So they are trying to push far leftists into the party nominations in places where far leftists just won't win an election.

But being a racist is way worse than being 100% ideological. It's just that a person that's 100% ideological doesn't in the long run govern very effectively and usually quite frankly shoot themselves in the foot while trying to do so. I want them to go because they have too much of a following for their stature, they are too immature to effectively lead, and they will in the long run be bad at governing.

Nah, AOC & Omar are just as racist as SK. The worst, to me, is that Omar flat out hates America & will get pure enjoyment of watching it crumble. AOC is a tad better to stomach, but mostly because she's hot.

A significant majority of campaign donations coming from outside the state/district of the race is pretty much the norm around the country.

Agreed. But who is giving how much and why that much to whom is of interest to me. I think that's a big deal.

Good I do too. Both she and "the squad" are causing all sort of problems within the party and are not team players. They need to go home and go back to being activists, it's what they are best at. Leave the governing for grown ups.
They are agitating, but they were sent by their constituents to agitate.
I will again say that the Squad is as much a construct of the GOP as anything they've said or done. They are scary women of color who launch Fox viewers and HROT posters into hysterics. If the Squad didn't exist, then Fox would create one.
Also, AOC and Pressley have been excellent additions to Congress. They are very smart women who have brought focus to important issues.

Nah, AOC & Omar are just as racist as SK. The worst, to me, is that Omar flat out hates America & will get pure enjoyment of watching it crumble. AOC is a tad better to stomach, but mostly because she's hot.
Links to AOC being a racist? Omar has said goofy things, I'll grant you that.

Cons got rid of Steve King, you all can missed your chance booting AOC but then again 1/3rd of her District aren't even Americans. Good luck getting this America hating anarchist out of office.
Flesh out the 1/3 of her District aren't even Americans comment. Thanks.

Omar needs to be careful in her criticisms of the Israeli government and be clear that it’s not a criticism of Israeli Jews or the people of Israel as a whole. Hell, most Israelis would agree with her that the controlling party in Israel need to be pressed to correct the political and policy path they’re on. Plenty of criticism directed at Netanyahu and the Likud party are spot on.

Evidence that he's "progressive"?

What does he actually stand for? All I see mentioned is his support of the 2009 idea of a public option.

Minnesota and the nation deserve better than stale ideas.
Stale ideas are better than bad ideas.

Sounds like the far left has essentially declared war on the rest of the party and the rest of the party has basically said. . . Ok well if that's the way you want it.

Lets remember most of the Democratic party is not the Bernie Sanders wing.

Then why has Biden adopted Bernie's manifesto?

Reactions: Sunburnt Indian
ADVERTISEMENT