ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5/Rotation given CURRENT Roster? Is SCHEDULE Toughest in History? IOWA #16(USA Today)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
June 10, 2019 UPDATE:

The 2019-2020 Roster:

On May 2, Moss
announced he was transferring.

Tyler Cook is skipping his senior year to pursue his NBA dreams.

On May 15, Riley Till was put on scholarship.

BEFORE THE MOSS TRANSFER & WHEN I WAS STILL HOPING COOK WOULD COME BACK, I was thinking preseason that we were looking at a top 10 team. Our 13 man (minus Dailey but including Cook and Moss) scholarship roster WAS loaded with talent and experience. Could we stay in the top 10 WAS the question.

Also, we are now up to 12 on scholarship.

Current Roster (12 currently on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

2022 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure; however, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship).

6'9" F Jack Nunge (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

2021 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'10" C Luke Garza (****)

6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); had surgery on his knee Dec 18, 2018, which caused him to miss the remainder of the 2018-2019 season; was scheduled to graduate in 2020; since he played in just two games in the 2018-2019 season (logging a total of just 31 minutes), he will be granted a medical redshirt for an additional year.

6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017)

2020 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***)

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***)

6'2" PG/SG Bakari Evelyn (***); a Valparaiso Grad Transfer; committed to the Hawkeyes on June 9, 2019 and has one year of eligibility with Iowa.

Notable Walk on players:

2021 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

6'2" Guard Austin Ash

The 2019-2020 Schedule:

Read these 2 tweets. Note that Fran says the schedule will be toughest ever in the history of Iowa basketball. Do you agree?

Looks like this is our 11 game nonconference schedule:

1. S. Illinois
2. Prelim Las Vegas Invite Home game
3. Prelim Las Vegas Invite Home game
4. Creighton, Las Vegas Invite
5. SD State or Texas Tech, Las Vegas Invite
6. Iowa State
7. Oral Roberts
8. Cincinnati (played in Chicago)
9. Kennesaw St
10. Syracuse--B1G / ACC Challenge game
11. DePaul--Big East team (part of Gavitt Games)

And here is our 20 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE:

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW
D4YI3DdWwAA6ol-.jpg

Iowa is #16 heading into 2019-2020, per USA Today.

Here's their take:

16. Iowa (23-12). There's a strong possibility leading scorer Tyler Cook turns pro, but coach Fran McCaffery has enough coming back to contend for a Big Ten title. Forward Luka Garza will be back and sharpshooter Jordan Bohannon is among a group of elite guards returning.

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ollege-basketball-top-25-rankings/3381228002/

Iowa is #17 heading into 2019-2020, per CBS Sports

Here's their take:

IOWA

Coach: Fran McCaffery

2018-19 record: 23-12

Notable players definitely gone: Nicolas Baer

Other expected departures: Tyler Cook

Notable players expected to return:
Jordan Bohannon ,
Luka Garza ,
Ryan Kriener ,
Connor McCaffery ,
Isaiah Moss ,
Joe Wieskamp ,
Jack Nunge ,

Cordell Pemsl

Expected additions: Patrick McCaffery, Joe Toussaint

LINK to their Top 25 & 1:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...never-too-early-top-25-and-1-for-next-season/

Iowa is #21 heading into 2019-2020, per Sporting News

Here's their take:

#21: Iowa Hawkeyes

2018-19 record and finish:

23-12, NCAA second round

Key players:

PG Jordan Bohannon,
C Luka Garza,
SG Joe Wieskamp,
SG Isaiah Moss,
G Connor McCaffery,
C Ryan Kriener,
PF Cordell Pemsl

Top-100 recruits:

SF Pat McCaffery (247Sports No. 71)

Key decisions:

PF Tyler Cook is not a projected first-round pick, but did go through the early entry process in 2018.

LINK to the ENTIRE Top 25: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...top-25-for-2019-20/1oplcsov8ioxf18ydgei068fyp

Last edited:
Lose 1 gain 5.

I don't trust Fran to handle 4 more players total.

The rotation was about right this year.

He has certainly run some deep rotations in the past. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Lose 1 gain 5.

I don't trust Fran to handle 4 more players total.

The rotation was about right this year.

Things will shake themselves out, roster wise, in coming weeks.

Gut feeling, Cook leaves (declares just because, sick of college ball) and Dailey looks to transfer. Pemsl and Connor wild cards. Pemsl due to lingering injuries and Connor focusing on baseball.

Gut feeling, Cook leaves (declares just because, sick of college ball) and Dailey looks to transfer. Pemsl and Connor wild cards. Pemsl due to lingering injuries and Connor focusing on baseball.

I think Connor is going to want to play with Pat. I could see Cook and Dailey though. I think Pemsl returns. He'll get playing time especially if Cook leaves. Iowa needs a brute force inside like him.

Daily hardly plays so not gona have much effect there

Who the hell knows with Cook.

The boards will be back to hating Pemsl and Nunge in no time. Begging Fran to cut the rotation to 9 because it’s what worked this year..
To be fair, it definitely seems like there is something to keeping the rotation smaller. Just because Nunge/Fredrick/PMac/Toussaint are available to play doesn’t mean that they should. Especially if everybody returns

I edited the orig post. Note that Fran says the schedule will be the toughest ever in the history of Iowa basketball. Do you agree? If so, that is pretty spectacular, if you ask me. :)

#RELB

Nebraska played their best basketball with 7 players. lol. There is something to say about having a smaller rotation!

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
I edited the orig post. Note that Fran says the schedule will be the toughest ever in the history of Iowa basketball. Do you agree? If so, that is pretty spectacular, if you ask me. :)

#RELB
Has to at least be the toughest since Fran has been here. ISU, Cincy, Creighton, SDSU, TTU are all likely tourney teams imo. Will be interesting to see who they round out the schedule with. Of course the Big Ten will either be the toughest or one of the toughest conferences in CBB again

I feel like PMac should redshirt just to balance the classes a bit.

I predict that we will have 3 outgoing players (Baer and 2 others) 3 out of Joe T, Pemsl, Nunge and CJFred will be contributors with PMac sitting out. That way the rotation doesn't get too muddied.

They SHOULD be better. Will they? Who knows.

Fran has managed to produce two NCAA tourney wins in 9 years at Iowa; I think that's one more than Alford had in his 8 years. He's also been abysmal in the Big Ten tourney (Alford was actually pretty good there) and his teams have shown a propensity for late season collapses.

I will give Fran credit for taking a program that was an absolute dumpster fire and getting it back to respectability. He followed arguably the worst coach in Iowa basketball history. Unfortunately, he hasn't proven himself capable of doing much more than that.

They SHOULD be better. I'm not confident that they ultimately will be. I'll be cautiously optimistic when next season starts. Wieskamp should make huge strides next year; I think he can be an All Big Ten caliber player. They bring all but one guy back. I certainly have hope.

Fran has managed to produce two NCAA tourney wins in 9 years at Iowa; I think that's one more than Alford had in his 8 years. He's also been abysmal in the Big Ten tourney (Alford was actually pretty good there) and his teams have shown a propensity for late season collapses.

I will give Fran credit for taking a program that was an absolute dumpster fire and getting it back to respectability. He followed arguably the worst coach in Iowa basketball history. Unfortunately, he hasn't proven himself capable of doing much more than that.

They SHOULD be better. I'm not confident that they ultimately will be. I'll be cautiously optimistic when next season starts. Wieskamp should make huge strides next year; I think he can be an All Big Ten caliber player. They bring all but one guy back. I certainly have hope.
Stopped reading here

What are the said tough games? I know the game in Chicago vs Cincy but that is it. I am guessing we will get a game next year vs the Big East and a better opponent (maybe not better game!) than Pitt in the Big Ten/ACC.

THREE wins

Reactions: rondy and Mohawkeye

#RELB

Schedule’s haven’t even been established yet for 2019-2020..

I'm old and still have a memory, so no not toughest ever. Quick brain check of 64 - 65 came to mind. Rated teams at the time we played them were:

@ UCLA # 1
@ Kentucky # 11
@ Michigan # 1
H Indiana # 1
@ Indiana # 5
H Minnesota # 6
@ Minnesota # 7

14 Big X games and the other NC games besides UCLA & Kentucky were:

H Creighton
N Utah
@ Southern Cal
H Providence

We went 14 - 10, 8 - 6 in Big X

Last edited:
I'm old and still have a memory, so no not toughest ever. Quick brain check of 64 - 65 came to mind. Non conference was:
@ UCLA # 1
@ Kentucky # 11
@ Michigan # 1
H Indiana # 1
@ Indiana # 5
H Minnesota # 6
@ Minnesota # 7

14 Big X games and the othe NC games were:

H Creighton
N Utah
@ Southern Cal
H Providence

We went 14 - 10, 8 - 6 in Big X

I had no idea Michigan, Indiana, and Minnesota were not in the Big 10 in 64-65.

What are the said tough games? I know the game in Chicago vs Cincy but that is it. I am guessing we will get a game next year vs the Big East and a better opponent (maybe not better game!) than Pitt in the Big Ten/ACC.

They try to match up the B10-ACC challenge by where teams finished the year before. Standings don't go exact since teams alternate years on and off that they play, but we played Pitt because we finished 11th two years ago and they finished last. This year we'll play someone around 5-7 probably, so probably a VaTech (I'd rather not play there again) or FSU, but not UNC, Duke or Virginia.

They try to match up the B10-ACC challenge by where teams finished the year before. Standings don't go exact since teams alternate years on and off that they play, but we played Pitt because we finished 11th two years ago and they finished last. This year we'll play someone around 5-7 probably, so probably a VaTech (I'd rather not play there again) or FSU, but not UNC, Duke or Virginia.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to complain about the Pitt matchup. I get that's what they try to do, I was just eluding to that one going to be a better game for the B1G/ACC due to our higher finish.

We know we have this:
Cincy in Chicago
@ Iowa St
ACC on the road (since home game this yr)
Big East at home (I would assume)

Besides playing in the ACC challenge and in Ames....who else is on the nonconference schedule?

Cincy in Chicago
2 of Creighton, San Diego State and Texas Tech
@ISU
Gavitt Games vs Big East
ACC Challenge
2 likely cupcakes assigned by the Vegas tourney to start the year if they stick to that model
3 others openings

Cincy in Chicago
2 of Creighton, San Diego State and Texas Tech
@ISU
Gavitt Games vs Big East
ACC Challenge
2 likely cupcakes assigned by the Vegas tourney to start the year if they stick to that model
3 others openings
I thought the Hawks scheduled Cincy because they are out of the rotation for the Gavitt games next year. May be off base on that one

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT