ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5/Rotation given CURRENT Roster? Is SCHEDULE Toughest in History? IOWA #16(USA Today)

Pemsl will be back soon. PMac is expected to play. Will JBo?

Lots of moving pieces. Lots of unknowns.

FREE story from SI.com

IOWA CITY — Iowa forward Cordell Pemsl wasn't at the Hawkeyes' media day on Wednesday, still suspended from team activities after his September arrest for drunken driving.

But coach Fran McCaffery expects Pemsl to be back soon.

"He took care of his legal part of his issues," McCaffery said. "He's got some other things he's got to work out. If he stays on top of things, maybe by next week we could have him back at practice."

Pemsl, who missed almost all of last season after undergoing surgery on his leg, was arrested on Sept. 20 in downtown Iowa City. He has been suspended since then.

Pemsl has played in 68 games in his career, averaging 7.2 points and 4.7 rebounds.

Patrick McCaffery expected to play

McCaffery said his son, Patrick, is in the Hawkeyes' plans for this season.

Patrick, a 6-foot-9 freshman guard, was a possible redshirt candidate, given the Hawkeyes' depth.

"Right now the plan is for him to play," Fran McCaffery said. "You know, he's been playing really well in practice. He's gotten stronger. He's been consistently performing at a high level. The thing about Patrick is he can score. He moves without the ball."

Patrick weighs just 190 pounds, so despite his height, he will be more of a wing player.

"He's been a double-figure scorer in practice on limited shot attempts, shooting the ball well from three, gives you some length," Fran McCaffery said. "If we're going against a team that decides they want to go with a non-traditional lineup, maybe with a four-guard set, we could play he and Joe (Wieskamp) at the '4' position and still have tall, long, athletic guys because maybe we have to take one post player out, and we would prefer to play with two traditional posts.

"So it gives us a lot of flexibility, so we'll see where that goes and make a decision later. But the plan is for him to play."

https://www.si.com/college/iowa/basketball/bkc-iowaquotebook-1009/

Reactions: BronxHawkeye
Yes. Yes I would. There is nothing worse than digging through pages of a thread just to try and figure out WTF someone was saying.

Get over yourself.

Would you rather I start a fourth Starting lineup for theeeeee Iowa Hawkeyes thread?

Let me know! It seems like you like all of these duplicate threads talking about the same damn thing! ;)

Reactions: Underscore2
As the AP Top 25 comes out, remember this?

On April 9, Iowa was #16 heading into 2019-2020, per USA Today.

Here was their take:

16. Iowa (23-12). There's a strong possibility leading scorer Tyler Cook turns pro, but coach Fran McCaffery has enough coming back to contend for a Big Ten title. Forward Luka Garza will be back and sharpshooter Jordan Bohannon is among a group of elite guards returning.

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ollege-basketball-top-25-rankings/3381228002/

Don't forget about this guy.

EHrfBdaWoAAfl-Z

I like Garza and Wieskamp being the pillars on offense, particularly with the younger players coming in. Both of those guys will draw attention allowing younger scorers room to get their feet wet.

Who do you think fill the other 3 spots?
Front court:
Garza and Wieskamp are givens. Nunge probable but Kriener possible given his experience. Pemsl #4 in 4-5s, behind Patrick in minutes too. But he’ll provide valuable situational appearances as a short, but tough and experienced, post presence. Pemsl’s one of the few guys on the roster who can’t space the floor and doesn’t have Cook’s athleticism to compensate for that.

Backcourt:
If JBo plays: JBo and Bakari, a senior starting backcourt.
JBo may play exhibitions and then think better of it. But Bakari starts. Without JBo, he’s the only senior or junior. When healthy (as he now reportedly is and playing well), he shoots close to 40% from 3, has high-level quickness, and PG skills in a 6’2” frame. Oh, and he plays both guard spots. No one else on the roster has this combination (including experience).

Who plays with him? That’s the question for which there are different answers. CJ reportedly is the best scorer, JoeT’s the purest PG with elite speed, Connor is a high-level passer with unusual handle for his size. But the obvious fact in this debate is that we appear to have serious depth with quickness! Hallelujah! Oh, and JW could slide down to the 2 if Patrick can’t be kept off the floor.

Of course, it won’t be as rosy as all this. But we know that.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Front court:
Garza and Wieskamp are givens. Nunge probable but Kriener possible given his experience. Pemsl #4 in 4-5s, behind Patrick in minutes too. But he’ll provide valuable situational appearances.

Backcourt:
If JBo plays: JBo and Bakari, a senior starting backcourt.
JBo may play exhibitions and then think better of it. But Bakari starts. Without JBo, he’s the only senior or junior. When healthy (as he now reportedly is and playing well), he shoots close to 40% from 3, has high-level quickness, and PG skills in a 6’2” frame. Oh, and he plays both guard spots. No one else on the roster has this combination (including experience).

Who plays with him? That’s the question for which there are different answers. CJ reportedly is the best scorer, JoeT’s the purest PG with elite speed, Connor is a high-level passer with unusual handle for his size. But the obvious fact in this debate is that we appear to have serious depth with quickness! Hallelujah! Oh, and JW could slide down to the 2 if Patrick can’t be kept off the floor.

Of course, it won’t be as rosy as all this. But we know that.
Just a lot of unknowns right now ;)

Can't wait for the 1st game to see who starts & who is on the floor at the end of games. And then compare that to the starting 5/end of game 5 in January. How big of a difference will there be? We will see.

If JBo plays...

JBo
Evelyn
Joe W
Nunge
Garza

If JBo doesn't play...

Evelyn (OOC), Joe T (by Jan)
CJF (OOC), Evelyn (by Jan)
Joe W
Nunge
Garza

The more I hear, the more I'm leaning to the top actually happening, unless there is a setback in his recovery.

Reactions: Bee93
If JBo plays...

JBo
Evelyn
Joe W
Nunge
Garza

If JBo doesn't play...

Joe W
Nunge
Garza

The more I hear, the more I'm leaning to the top actually happening, unless there is a setback in his recovery.
i hope Jbo is able to play this year; that would help our NCAA chances tremendously

If JBo plays...

JBo
Evelyn
Joe W
Nunge
Garza

If JBo doesn't play...

Joe W
Nunge
Garza

If Jordan is healthy, hmmmm......

The Starting 5:

1 JoBo

2 CJ Fredrick (based on what Fran has stated in past)

3 Joe Weezy

4 Nunge (Pemsl currently in doghouse)

5 Garza

Based on Fran's comments today, Look for CJ to start at the 2, Nunge at the 4; as you can see, Pemsl is in the dog house.

On Nov 4, your Starting 5:

1: JBo
2: CJ
3: Weezy
4 Nunge
5 Garza

Fran's comments (Oct 30):

Q: How is Jordan Bohannon come along so far and have you figured out a time frame for him to play in a game?

McCAFFERY: I think he will play some on Monday. He had a good practice yesterday. He’s getting back into it and we will see how it goes. He’s not where he wants to be or where he could be. I have been really impressed with his determination to get back to being what I think is one of the best players in our league. We are taking it one day at a time with practice and the exhibition game. We will see if he can get through it and if not, then we will shut him down.

Q: What has impressed you about Bohannon and the way he has come back from this injury?

McCAFFERY: He did everything he was supposed to in the beginning and I think that was important. Then he was very methodical in his approach. He did a little bit on the bike and was jogging and then some spot shooting. Then he was running and cutting before anything that involved contact. Then he went back out and started playing. He has had some really good days and some bad days, which was to be expected. We will see where it goes from here.

Q: Do you have any more clarity on who you might play at the one and two and who you might start on Monday?

McCAFFERY: All those guys are going to play. I am getting closer to figuring out who the starters will be. All four of those other guys are really playing well. They all played well on Sunday and they all bring different things to the table and I am excited about this group. We have depth back there and versatility back there and I think that’s critical.

Q: Can you give us an update on Cordell Pemsl?

McCAFFERY: Cordell is playing pretty well. He’s back on the court. I thought he played well on Sunday and he has practiced well. He is playing as you would expect, as a veteran who has been solid with his skill set and knows what we are doing. I have been pleased with him.

Q: How have Joe Toussaint and Patrick McCaffery done so far?

McCAFFERY: I think the thing that benefited them was being here in the summer time. It was a little different for Patrick because he’s here, but he was never really on a college campus in this way. He had to figure out time management and we are up early in the summer doing our lifts and working in practice settings. You are also developing a bond and those guys are roommates.

Then we get to the fall and it’s a little bit different. Both practice and the academic schedules are more intense. You are kind of building up to that. Both are playing really well and bring to the table things that we need. Joe is really quick and he finds people and moves the ball and defends. Patrick is a wing scorer who can give you some versatility. He can play inside if he needs to and he’s been making three’s. They play really well together and I expect big things from both of them.

Q: Fredrick and Nunge are coming off redshirt seasons. Is there some rust to shake off in the exhibition game and have you been surprised by them?

McCAFFERY: Those two guys have really played well. Jack is a little different because he played a year and then redshirted versus C.J., who redshirted and hasn’t played in a game until this past Sunday in our scrimmage.

Jack has gotten a lot stronger and he’s playing with a tremendous amount of confidence. He has really been impressive to me, particularly from a consistency standpoint. A lot of guys play well some days, he has been that way every day, consistently as a scorer and a rebounder.

For C.J. I would say that same. He knows what we are doing. He makes plays off the dribble, hits shots, and probably been our best defensive player on the perimeter so far.

Q: You mentioned Fredrick as your best backcourt defender. Can you expand on that and what you think of your defense so far?

McCAFFERY: As far as C.J., it’s his work ethic. He stays in his stance and is always where he is supposed to be. He gets deflections and steals. He fights through screens and at his position he has to be able to handle screens. He has to be able to close out and get a hand in the shooters face. He has to anticipate and see the screens coming and he has performed at a consistently high rate as far as deflections and steals.

Q: To clarify on Pemsl, will he miss any time due to suspension?

McCAFFERY: He will not play in the next two games. So, the exhibition and the first regular season game and then he will be good to go after that.

Q: What has Bakari Evelyn brought to the table so far? Has he given you that veteran leadership that I think you were looking for from him?

McCAFFERY: Absolutely. I think that is the best way to describe him. He plays the game with a level of confidence that is really important. He understands where to be defensively. He knows how to play more than one position. He can guard a guy bigger or smaller than him. He shoots it well. He’s not a mistake guy who will turn the ball over. He’s a really good passer and post feeder. I have been really pleased with him.

Q: This is the projection time of year for college basketball. What is something about this team that maybe might surprise people on the outside?

McCAFFERY: I think it’s how good we are from top to bottom. I think a lot of people look at your first five, but we have a lot of really good players. We have a lot of really good shooters. We have post players who can score. We have wing players who can score. We have guards who can score. I think the most important thing is how we share it and move the ball. You can have a lot of good players, but if there is any level of selfishness, then you aren’t going to be any good. This team is a very unselfish group and I have been impressed and pleased by that.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/mccaffery-updates-iowa-hoops-1

Chad Leistikow & Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register/Hawk Central are the beat writers for Iowa basketball.

This is what Chad thinks:

If I had to guess a Starting 5?

At the "1"
I think it’ll be Bohannon (when playing)

or

Sophomore Connor McCaffery (when Bohannon's not)

At the “2”
Redshirt freshman CJ Fredrick

At the “3”
Wieskamp

At the “4”
Nunge

At the “5”

Garza

Fran McCaffery did say this week he thinks the depth on this team will surprise outsiders.

"I think a lot of people look at your first five, but we have a lot of really good players," McCaffery said. "We have a lot of really good shooters."

On that note, Fredrick is my unheralded pick to click for the Hawkeyes.

The 6-foot-3 redshirt freshman came to Iowa with a sharpshooting reputation and was the 2018 Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year. That gets your attention. So does the fact that McCaffery says Fredrick is probably Iowa’s best backcourt defender.

“He stays in his stance and is always where he is supposed to be,” McCaffery said. “He gets deflections and steals. He fights through screens. And at his position, he has to be able to handle screens.”

This sounds like a guy that was going to get a lot of minutes, even if Isaiah Moss (now at Kansas) had stuck around. It would not stun me if Fredrick is in the running for the Big Ten’s all-freshmen team.

LINK to the Full Story: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eys-to-hawkeyes-basketball-season/4095891002/

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk
More evidence from Mark Emmert (beat writer for the Register) that CJ will be starting at the 2 and Nunge at the 4.

So, that leaves us with :

1 JBo or Connor
2 CJ
3 Weezy
4 Nunge
5 Garza

This is a great article by Mark Emmert, a Register Beat Writer.

He not only names the 5 starters, he gives you the rotation and projected minutes.

A summary of his column:

Hawkeye Hoops Rotation Breakdown: How will Fran McCaffery spread out the Minutes

By Mark Emmert
HawkCentral
Nov 1 2019

The assumption is that Jordan Bohannon is shut down by late December / early January.

Projected minutes add to 200 and are for a typical game, B1G level competition.

The Starters:

34 minutes: Joe Wieskamp, Starts at Small Forward

28 minutes: Luka Garza, Starts at Center

27 minutes: CJ Fredrick, Starts at Shooting Guard

25 minutes: Connor McCaffery, Starts at Point Guard

24 minutes: Jack Nunge, Starts at Power Forward

The Backups:

20 minutes: Ryan Kriener, Backup at both Post Positions

18 minutes: Bakari Evelyn, Back up at both guard spots

9 minutes: Patrick McCaffery, backup at both Forward spots

8 minutes: Cordell Pemsl, backup power forward

5 minutes: Joe Toussaint, backup point guard

2 minutes: Riley Till, backup at both forward positions

200 Total Minutes

The Full Article: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-minutes-fran-mccafferys-hawkeyes/4102947002/

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk

He not only names the 5 starters, he gives you the rotation and projected minutes.

A summary of his column:

Hawkeye Hoops Rotation Breakdown: How will Fran McCaffery spread out the Minutes

By Mark Emmert
HawkCentral
Nov 1 2019

The assumption is that Jordan Bohannon is shut down by late December / early January.

The Starters:

The Backups:

200 Total Minutes

The Full Article: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-minutes-fran-mccafferys-hawkeyes/4102947002/
I think Emmert’s minute outlay will be wrong on a lot of levels. But on the face of it, Fran has said this is one of his deepest teams. That said, there will be more than 7 players in double-figures for minutes, regardless of what anyone would ‘like’ to happen.

I think Emmert’s minute outlay will be wrong on a lot of levels. But on the face of it, Fran has said this is one of his deepest teams. That said, there will be more than 7 players in double-figures for minutes, regardless of what anyone would ‘like’ to happen.
I think JoeT plays more, Connor less

Pemsl more, Nunge & Kriener a bit less

SIAP, I heard the starting 5 for the secret scrimmage FWIW was...

1-Connor
2-CJF
3-Joe
4-Jack
5-Luka

Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register knows more than any of us.

As you can see 3 posts above, he wrote this:

The Starters:

The Backups:

200 Total Minutes

A summary of his column:

By Mark Emmert
HawkCentral
Nov 1 2019

The Starters:

The Backups:

200 Total Minutes

Mark Emmert is a beat writer for a reason.

He hit the starting 5 on the nose.

Pretty clear Mark Emmert was right on the starting five. The starting five clearly looks to be the current top 5 players with a healthy JoBo of course in there. I love how Conner and CJ feed the post. CJ doesnt hold the ball or ball stop he gets out of his hands quick Garza and Joey are going to love playing with Conner and CJ. I see why Moss left Frederick is better than him right now.

Pretty clear Mark Emmert was right on the starting five. The starting five clearly looks to be the current top 5 players with a healthy JoBo of course in there. I love how Conner and CJ feed the post. CJ doesnt hold the ball or ball stop he gets out of his hands quick Garza and Joey are going to love playing with Conner and CJ. I see why Moss left Frederick is better than him right now.
Same starting 5 for Friday as well. :)

ADVERTISEMENT