ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Line Up this Year

My thought is that most want to see Murin at 141 because we want an upgrade at that weight and hope he is it. Turk has the ability to get on the podium but last years inconsistency was frustrating. The key to winning a championship depends on how many points we can score at 141, 157 and 184.
In baseball fans would describe Turk as having warning track power.

What do you guys think that the starting lineup will look like this year?

From what I've heard I think it will look something like this:
125: Lee
133: JRent or DeSantos?
141: Murin or Turk?
149: Lugo
157: Young
165: Bull
174: Kemdawg
184: Cashe
197: Warner
285: Stoll

I hope Murin wins the 141 spot, he was pretty impressive for a true frosh last year. Does anyone have some insight on 133 and 141, or is this a wait until wrestle offs and see type of thing? Also, is Cashe at 184 and Warner at 197 a sure thing? Sorry if some of this has already been answered on here, but I haven't read the boards very consistently for a while.
National championship.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
I’m not, and I don’t pick favorites. Murin appears to be the fan favorite at the moment, I’m just throwing a little Turk’s way. All these guys are sacrificing more than they even know and I’m a softy when people count guys out.

By “decent shot” I was referring to him shooting Sam Stoll in the leg. That’s what I was “aiming” at anyways. If ya have to explain it.......

I'm sure that's true. My own observation, though, is that Turk has the raw talent to elevate himself to another level. And I find him to be a lot of fun to watch. I didn't see much of Murin, but on paper he looks to be capable of being on the podium next year. If Turk beats him out I would think that means he has turned the corner.
It’s nice to have 2 quality guys that could reach the podium as they will rise to a new level just to earn the spot. Here is a match that shows some of the grinder mentality that Murin brings. He is also fun to watch. May the best man win.

Renteria and Turk.

Had they not been in the same room I would take Desanto in the 1st match and Renteria from then on. Renteria's strength (underhook) plays right into Desanto's strength (carry). Time in the room together allows for adjustments and I think Renteria is an overall better wrestler.

You're taking Turk over Murin?

By “decent shot” I was referring to him shooting Sam Stoll in the leg. That’s what I was “aiming” at anyways. If ya have to explain it.......
I think we all knew what you meant but didn't want to go back down that road. The issue I have with Turk is that he scored 3.5 points at Nationals. Chad Red (who he beat at Big10s scored 10 and Nick Lee scored 11.5) We need who ever represents us at this weight to score at least 5.5 points (more is better). Meredith and Jack graduating moves him up a little but at this point it looks like there are about 10 guys who will be fighting for a spot on the bottom two podium steps. We need someone who will be fighting for 5th or 6th, not in the middle of the "maybe round of 12" crowd. If Turk is the guy we will all root for him. We just need someone to step up big time at this weight.

It’s nice to have 2 quality guys that could reach the podium as they will rise to a new level just to earn the spot. Here is a match that shows some of the grinder mentality that Murin brings. He is also fun to watch. May the best man win.

Murin looks to have an Iowa Wrestler gas tank. He looked fresh at the end of the match and the other guy was sucking wind.

I’m on the Bowman train. I know everyone else likes cash but Bowman has better wins
Ok, he had the win over Gravina at Big10s and two good bonus wins at Nationals but, he was 14-13 so he didn't have enough "good wins". He just looked physically outmatched by to many guys.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
The biggest problem I see with Murin is more head scratching mistakes. However in most matches I've seen him wrestle, his offensive drive overcame a mistake or two. He will need to fix the dumb mistakes to be an upper AA. Even if he doesn't ever end up a NC contender, i think he can be a crowd favorite.

I'm not anti Turk and was hoping he'd be the guy a few years ago before he was hurt. However I have seen a lot of progression lately and think we may have what we already have. He surprised me in a few matches late in the season, but I dont think he's the best solution this year. I'm happy for him to prove me wrong.

Happel is more of a puzzle to me.

The biggest problem I see with Murin is more head scratching mistakes. However in most matches I've seen him wrestle, his offensive drive overcame a mistake or two. He will need to fix the dumb mistakes to be an upper AA. Even if he doesn't ever end up a NC contender, i think he can be a crowd favorite.

Remember Murin was also a true freshman last year. Most every true freshman is going to make mistakes and take some lumps as they acclimate to D1 wrestling. Remember Marinelli getting stuck by Anthony Valencia at Midlands his freshman year? Or Warner losing to Woodley?

But despite his freshman learning curve, he still outperformed Turk at Midlands. Turk's minimal progress after already being in the program for 3 seasons is a much bigger red flag than whatever mistakes Murin made during his first season.

Murin Murin Murin. 133 is closer. Young is the starter at 157 before midlands.

I like Murin because of his offense...you don’t have to plead with him to be aggressive, he just is. It might cost him a few matches but he’ll win a lot more because of it.

Turk’s offense is inconsistent. I kept waiting for him to break out on a regular basis and he never did. We have seen this time and time again over the years from other Iowa guys and need to move away from it.

The guy taking the spot at 141 this season is whoever made the most progress from last year. Pretty simple but from my view they were fairly even, Turk did show some moments of next level stuff. If Murin is progressing they way some say he is and Turk has turned the corner we could be in for a treat. Im honestly more concerned about 157 and 184 putting points up in march.

The guy taking the spot at 141 this season is whoever made the most progress from last year. Pretty simple but from my view they were fairly even, Turk did show some moments of next level stuff. If Murin is progressing they way some say he is and Turk has turned the corner we could be in for a treat. Im honestly more concerned about 157 and 184 putting points up in march.
I'm not too worried about 157 or 184. I think Young and Cashe will both be much improved wrestlers dropping down a weight. They were both giving up a significant amount of size in many matches last year.

Haven’t seen that one but I do not think this is settled business. One can think that the better one might shirt now for next year or go this year depending on the individual. Lots of variables here.

To me Desanto just does not seem like the type to want to spend a year as a redshirt. Especially after moving to Iowa from the east coast and with how close he was to AAing last year. He's got momentum, it makes sense to keep it moving rather than him sitting a year.

Reactions: Mendoza77
I like Kem,but third is a pretty lofty goal. Mark Hall is currently my number one ranked college wrestler! Lee is second. Nolf 3rd. Zahid 4th. Let's see how he adjusts to the new weight. He may be a small 74. AA for sure, likely 5-8

Hall is your number 1 ranked college wrestler? He's not even in the top 2 on his own team and possibly behind Joseph as well.

I like Murin because of his offense...you don’t have to plead with him to be aggressive, he just is. It might cost him a few matches but he’ll win a lot more because of it.

Turk’s offense is inconsistent. I kept waiting for him to break out on a regular basis and he never did. We have seen this time and time again over the years from other Iowa guys and need to move away from it.
Turk has a lot of holes in his game, and he’s been in the room for 3 years. I thought Murin was better last year before getting injured, and he was in the room a lot more this summer. His fight reminds me of McDonough.

I'm not too worried about 157 or 184. I think Young and Cashe will both be much improved wrestlers dropping down a weight. They were both giving up a significant amount of size in many matches last year.
Yup I totally agree and have posted that I believe $ can AA. I have seen only a few of Youngs matches and what I am reading leaves me to believe he will be the man at 157 but just as in 141 and 184 it seems nothing is written in stone

Remember Murin was also a true freshman last year. Most every true freshman is going to make mistakes and take some lumps as they acclimate to D1 wrestling. Remember Marinelli getting stuck by Anthony Valencia at Midlands his freshman year? Or Warner losing to Woodley?

But despite his freshman learning curve, he still outperformed Turk at Midlands. Turk's minimal progress after already being in the program for 3 seasons is a much bigger red flag than whatever mistakes Murin made during his first season.
Turk was injured the majority of the first 2 years. Last year was the first wrestling season he really got to compete in college.

Reactions: depelland

This is a great video that illustrates how a year in a top D1 room like Iowa develops a wrestler. Sasso was the number 1 ranked kid in his weight and a top 10 pound for pound kid who was recruited by the Hawks. Coming out of HS Max wasn’t at his level, but in this match Sasso clearly faded and was mentally broken in the last minute or so. A 7 minute college match with a huge mat and riding time only makes it tougher. Sasso will obviously improve, but this is a very nice win for Max.

I love Murin, but I need to see 41 happen before i get excited. I loved Turk early, I really hope he got better on bottom. Get some hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT